PDA

View Full Version : chain tension

deano2k
05-06-2004, 05:22 PM
hi peepz!

i got a bit of a problem,my chain tension is way 2 slack and it bounces up n down like a goodun lol . i need to get this problem fixed asap cos my bike goes in for its mot on saturday.it is a 1995 model single swinger i cant see ne screws or ne thing 2 adjust it so avent got a clue.hope u guys can help!:confused:

cheers ppl!

deano

Alex52686
05-06-2004, 08:45 PM
You loosen up the axel and then their should be two nuts inbetween the axel boly and swingarm. Use those to move wheel back.

DaBit
05-07-2004, 03:24 AM
At the rear whee, just behind the sprocket you see two bolts. Loosen them so the 'egg' (the acentric thingie where the rear wheel is mounted on, and which you loosen when you loosen the named bolts) can rotate.

Then, on the other side of the rear wheel is a hole (10mm or so). Align this hole with the hole in the 'egg', and stick a thick screwdriver or another piece of metal through it.

Now, if you rotate the rear wheel, the 'egg' will rotate too, and tension the chain. The easiest way to accomplish this is to simply sit on the bike and move it backwards.

Walk backwards until the slack is about 3cm or so with you on the seat (works for me; no idea how much slack it needs originally).

Now retighten the two bolts, remove the screwdriver in the rear wheel and egg, and you're done.

It's a lot easier than it sounds :)