PDA

View Full Version : tank expansion

u00bgg2
12-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Any body have a tank expand on them? I have heard of this happening on the 750 but not a 1200. Pulled the seat off to do some work and noticed the side panel bolt hole was broken out. Got to looking a little more and the gap between the panel and the tank (where they butt together) is much larger on the right side than the left leading me to believe the tank has swelled at some point.

Just checking

jpduc
12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I have not noticed any tank swelling, but only had the bike for about 3 months. I have used non-ethanol gas almost for every tankful. I have read about Ducati tank problems and the use of ethanol was implicated in the swelling. Have you been using pump gas with ethanol?

lanter
12-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Where did you find non-ethanol in U.S. ? Wish I could find it here in Connecticut.

u00bgg2
12-19-2012, 09:18 AM
From reading about the ethanol affects over on the 750 board but because I had not picked up on it on this board I was hoping it would not be an issue on the 1200. I am in an area where there is no none ethanol fuel so I have to live with it one way or the other, I have tried to stay away from the 15% as they do mark this on the pump. I have not ridden the bike in about a month and I put it up with about a half a tank of fuel. Typically after a hard ride, regardless of fuel level, when I put it up I can hear the tank hissing shortly after I put it up and I usually crack the gas cap as a precaution but I did not do it this time.

Brain

jpduc
12-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm in Jacksonville, FL and we have a local retailer that has a few stations around town that have the non-ethanol gas for boats, bikes and small engines. I did an internet search for non-ethanol gas stations in my city. You may try to find a marina or facility that services the marine community, they may have it but it is more expensive than the ethanol treated gas.

There is a check valve in the charcoal canister system that vents the tank. I believe that it lets air in as the fuel in the tank is used so as not to allow a vacuum to be created. I believe that it may also relieve pressure that is created as the gas is heated from the engine running.

BYRDMAN
12-20-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm in Jacksonville, FL and we have a local retailer that has a few stations around town that have the non-ethanol gas for boats, bikes and small engines. I did an internet search for non-ethanol gas stations in my city. You may try to find a marina or facility that services the marine community, they may have it but it is more expensive than the ethanol treated gas.

There is a check valve in the charcoal canister system that vents the tank. I believe that it lets air in as the fuel in the tank is used so as not to allow a vacuum to be created. I believe that it may also relieve pressure that is created as the gas is heated from the engine running.

The check valve only relieves pressure..it doesnt let air into the tank....the charcoal canister is to filter out any gasoline fumes before it goes out into the atmosphere....

The DD1200 is affected too...Mine and a buddy of mines have the issue....it usually results in the broken side fairing mount like in the first post. Kind of a PIA but Ive grown to live with it.

u00bgg2
12-20-2012, 08:47 AM
That is a good idea regarding the search for none ethanol fuel, had not thought of that. As for the venting, i have the canister removed and the vent hose piped down the side of frame so i dont believe vapor pressure in the tank was the probable cause. The side shield it self has a huge mounting hole which tells me that there were some long term tolerance issues in manufacturing from the start. It is feasible that the a tolerance stack up along with some minor tank swell caused the side panel hole to break out. I am going to post some photos when i have some time this week end.

jimilivz
12-21-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a 2011 (production 4/11) dorso 1200 with about 450 miles and have yet to see any signs of tank swelling. I confess to having been using an additive made by Sta-Bil since I gassed it up the day I rode it home. It is called Ethanol Treatment and performance improver. Comes in a 10 oz. bottle for about $5. The dilution ratio is 1 oz/2.5 gallons. I know the owners manual says no fuel additives, but I'm just not convinced Aprilia have any clue about the negative effects ethanol has on their machines. After all most of their sales are to customers whom don't have it forced down their tanks.

lanter
12-21-2012, 02:59 PM
I've been using Star Tron with no problems, after 7k miles.

u00bgg2
12-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I guess I will be looking into an additive before this issue morphs it self. Here are a couple pictures for reference:

woodswpn
01-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Your pics reflect the exact same thing that happened on my 750-about a 1/2 inch increase in the length of the tank, broke both fairing mounts.-The tank and covers were replaced under warranty; although the immobilizer antenna was damaged as well, so I need to source one of those as it doesnt appear to be an item you can purchase by itself. If you could take a pic of that antenna that would be helpful-apparently you can get it for the 1200.

lanter
02-22-2013, 12:30 AM
I spoke to soon ::crowbar: my tank has swollen and snapped both plastic covers. Hopefully covered under warranty.

Mr.Dorso
02-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Has anyones dealer told them if the new tanks have rectified the issue? Have they changed the tank at all to avoid this happening again?

Hope mine does it before warranty is up, sounds like all of them will be prone to it sooner or later... :pissed:

Brinks_2
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Mr D, we don't have the ethonal issues they do have in the states. We started to, but the gov backed out and capped the % added.

u00bgg2
02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
The first bike I saw this on was the HD XR1200, was thinking about buying one and found this out during my research. The issue they had was much more severe to the point that the sides would not even fit. My question is that once the tank expands "X" amount does it stabilize, or does it continue to expand and expand........... If it expands to a point and stabilizes the fix would be to modify the side panel tooling to take this into consideration, not the tank. If it continues to expand there is no way to fix it. I have to take the bike in for a recall, been putting it off, and I was going to have this addressed at that point.

Brinks_2
02-25-2013, 10:36 PM
It should stabilise, chemical and thermal expansion are not infinite, the question would be "When" And is it the chemical make up of the tank? or the ethanol reacting with that make up? If the ethanol reacts to the make up, maybe an epoxy lining may fix it. If it's thermal, replacement by Aprilia would be the go. Either way, I hope it gets sorted.

malle187
02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
How much ethanol do you have in your fuel?

Haven´t heard about any problems like this in germany. We´re using fuel with 5% ethanol (fuel with 10% is also avaiblable), this could maybe a reason?!

Mr.Dorso
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Mr D, we don't have the ethonal issues they do have in the states. We started to, but the gov backed out and capped the % added.

Cheers Brinks, I went to check mine the other day and I noticed a bigger gap on the right side (fairing to tank) than on the left side, thought this was the beginning of it... I loosened some fairing bolts and repositioned right side fairing to take in the gap, will see how it goes - took some pics, am I OCD?

lanter
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I've been using Star Tron since day 1 to combat the ethanol and still got the swollen tank! Not sure if that's the problem.

cameljockey
02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Where did you find non-ethanol in U.S. ? Wish I could find it here in Connecticut.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

i'm sure this has been posted, just too lazy to read all the posts. I basically cut and paste all the stations within 30 miles of my house, and i'll drop that into my tank bag at some point.

jstuntlocke
03-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I spoke to soon ::crowbar: my tank has swollen and snapped both plastic covers. Hopefully covered under warranty.

Dang bro... Bummer.
Probably also for me.
Just got the thing back with a brand new motor and ECU, too chilly to ride so while catching up on the forums and reading about this, itmade me wanna check my reveal on the side panels to gas tank also on mine... And yep- My right side is double what my left side is!
Looks like I will be in the same boat as y'all soon enough.
I'm starting to see a very undesirable trend with this thing. My stuntbikes have less problems and I rape them and bounce them off the pavement on a regular basis. SMH

u00bgg2
03-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Took bike in for tps sensor recall, dealer agrees that the tank has swollen. Dealer is submitting warranty claim for tank and side panel, will let you know how it turns out

lanter
03-10-2013, 06:02 PM
My swollen tank and side panels have to be shipped to aprilia u.s. for verification. Aprilia you are really pissing me off!!!

Brinks_2
03-11-2013, 01:07 AM
How are they gunna go with the new Capo?

u00bgg2
03-11-2013, 07:30 PM
While I was there, extended period of time because I had to wait on the wife to come and get me, I did get a feeling like I might like to trade her in. I didn't do it because I genuinely like the bike, it is one of the most fun bikes to ride I have every owned with out a doubt, only second to my KTM supermoto but with practicality.

u00bgg2
06-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Well I got the bike back, wont be going to that dealer again. I have not kept the post up to date but what I ended up doing was contacting Aprilia NA who then got a hold of the dealer, who then got the part order correctly...........etc............etc. In short the tank was on back order but the dealer also ordered it in correctly which added additional time.

I get the bike back on Sat, when I dropped it off I has a simply request to remove the wrench off the dash as I had done the service, no such luck. I then thought I bet those bastards did not replace the broken side cover, sure enough the some bitch is still there. I was a little under the weather, the drive was long and I simply did not want to show my ass so I got on the bike and drove it home.

Not sure what the next move is, but I will be writing to the dealer and aprilia.

lanter
06-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm still waiting for my tank and panels from Aprilia u.s.Thankfully my dealer put the old tank back on so I can ride and I'm loving the 1200. But come on Aprilia! They're has to be a better way to deal with the warranty issues.

Titan077
06-04-2013, 10:49 AM
So, I am curious of what the fix is for the expansion issue. I realize some folks are getting new tanks, but won't they just have the same expansion problem if nothing has changed? Eventually we will all have expanded tanks with broken side panels and no warranty!

lanter
06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
So, I am curious of what the fix is for the expansion issue. I realize some folks are getting new tanks, but won't they just have the same expansion problem if nothing has changed? Eventually we will all have expanded tanks with broken side panels and no warranty!

I'm wondering the same thing. That's why I'm seriously considering the speed triple r, or Street fighter 848.

Titan077
06-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah man, no doubt as this is a valid concern. I could see the speed triple r for sure or that 1290 superduke, although I would like to see it in person... Maybe they are trying something new with the tank you are getting, it seems like you have been waiting quite awhile.

BYRDMAN
06-05-2013, 01:09 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. That's why I'm seriously considering the speed triple r, or Street fighter 848.

Ive been wanting to get the KTM 690 Duke....but Im worried Ive been spoiled by the power plant in this beast...Although I ride my XR650R-SM alot more than the DD1200