PDA

View Full Version : Cold starting glitch

jimilivz
10-17-2012, 05:37 AM
My 11 dd1200 never starts right away like every other fuel injected engine I've ever seen has. Cranks about 3 seconds, fires, dies; wait a couple seconds, crank a second, fires, starts and idles ok. Had the bike a month, about 300 miles so far. Could it simply need mapping for the enrichment/starting phase?

JHB1984
10-17-2012, 06:23 AM
had this too ... according to my dealer it has something to do with "long fuel lines", he meant that i just should hold the start button a little longer ... did this and since then, no problems anymore ;o)

lanter
10-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Mine did that aswell, but after break in the problem is gone. I do still get the occasional "press start button and get a clicking sound" now I do what JHB stated and just hold start button a second longer.

jimilivz
10-18-2012, 05:53 AM
I think you guys are referring to a different problem. With mine, it cranks over fine, but does not start for 2-3 seconds, fires and dies instantly. This is just not acceptable for a properly set up fi motor. How can holding the starter button down longer on an engine that has fired be any good? Anyway, thanks for the replies. I will be taking it to the dealer for the 600mi service if the weather cooperates.

Mr.Dorso
10-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Hi jimilivz how about on second go? Does it turn over and run ok? Mine tends to die first cold start but run fine on second start.. sometimes when sitting at traffic lights the idle can get really low, has actually died at lights once before but started again fine, happened around 400k's but not since... Hoping this is just running in side effects!

JHB1984
10-22-2012, 05:54 AM
don't want to sound negative ... but this could have to do with a faulty O2 sensor ... had this on my bike, just saying :)

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Have them redo "throttles self learning" and "handle self learning" on the Navigator, it might just be a very slight tps issue and god knows with RBW bikes there are a LOT (6-8 usually) TPS signals that must all pretty much agree on true throttle position for hot or cold start to initiate with perfection. Keep us posted, the DD1200 has not been a strong seller in our area so I am working on very few of them and have not seen this problem in person just yet.

Mr.Dorso
10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Cheers for the info Micah and JHB, will mention TPS setting details to them and see if they can redo them on 1000km service

If it is faulty, the 2 year warranty is getting a work out pretty early in the game!

jimilivz
10-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. The dealer service rep tells me my bike is slated for the tps upgrade when I bring it in for the 600 mile service, but that may not be until spring, given the usually wet weather here in WA.

Also, I don't see how an O2 sensor could be a possibility. The engine is in open loop until the sensor warms up. This generally takes a minute or two.

As for the rbw used by Aprilia, of course I was really stoked to know my scoot had some recent GP proven tech goodies, I just hope it doesn't leave me wishing for carburetors and manual chokes.

Mr.Dorso
11-08-2012, 07:33 PM
So i got the TPS upgrade, throttle self learning and the 1,000km service all done (still waiting on dealer to receive the arrow map 'unlock' code to upgrade to arrow map) and STILL have the cold starting glitch.... Also sometimes when starting it fails, the screen goes blank (lights off) then it turns back on and kicks over.. yesterday when it did that it just kept stalling when i took off, after turning ignition off and on again and starting it was running fine again... Not impressed :WTF: back to the dealer next week... :mad:

lanter
11-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Mr. Dorso, you might want to check battery voltage during crank. Worth a shot.

Mr.Dorso
11-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Cheers Lanter, just multimeter to the battery and watch it during crank over??

lanter
11-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Yes! My old DD 750 had the same symptom as you described and turned out to be a defective battery. Under a load it dropped way below 12 v, but at rest the battery seemed fine.

TwoPots
11-19-2012, 02:52 AM
Hi all
Just purchased the DD1200...................
Its had its 1st service etc and Im enjoying it bigtime !
Nearly 3000ks in last 3 weekends
Has similar cold start issue as described - 3rd hit before it settles and runs...........
The service techo checked it all out - TPS etc etc and no issues in the system.........
One thing I tried early yesterday morning when starting was to give the throttle a slight twist
as the starters activated......
Worked OK - not instant but better than previous ( only when first starting when cold )
and we have had a real cold spell of late ! ( supposed to be summer here in NZ )
Hot starts arent an issue - bang first time !
Apparantly the TPS check is only by computer / laptop readout and cant be tweaked manually ????
Not sure if this is correct - guess so !
Great bike all the same
TP