PDA

View Full Version : Tamburini battery replacement

Axecent
10-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Replaced the lead acid battery with a Shorai. Friggin' battery weighs nothing. Anyway, MV's....they got character in spades. Took me over 2 hours to get the battery replaced. Wiring harness is installed like a guitar string to the existing battery, so the 3/8" difference in post placements made that job a nightmare....after getting the tail and frame crossmember off. I found myself uttering the word WHY? repeatedly.

Thanks to AF1/Micah for solving the Magneti Marelli fucked up ECU notchy throttle mid corner handling abortion that was the bike with the factory race exhaust and eprom before making his magic with a power commander. I haven't been out to thrash it yet but it seemed 'fixed' from the coupla short rides I have taken so far. It can stop raining here IMO for a coupla weeks and dry up the pavement so I can do some more riding.

Wish I was going to Harvest this weekend, but alas, something else came up. Wanted to take the Ducati 350 scrambler over and ride around. Next year....

Micah / AF1 Racing
10-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Glad to hear it is working better, that was one hell of a mind fucking project due to injector pulse frequency and making a PCV work correctly when it thinks it is really at twice actual rpm, if it feels better now it was totally worth it because as you brought it in I would call it borderline unrideable! I will be arriving early Saturday to Harvest Classic, any particular bikes you would like to see pics of at least?

jrflanne
10-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Park it in the living room. Freaking beautiful bike!

Axecent
10-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Micah, you know my tastes in bikes better than I do. Snap anything that is pure gearhead glory and/or stylistically gorgeous. I look forward to viewing the snaps. BTW, the Moto Morini 175 is up and running and the Mondial is not far behind. NEXT year, I'm loading up my version of classics and rolling into Luckenbach to party and ride bikes.

Axecent
10-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Park it in the living room. Freaking beautiful bike!

And now it runs as good as it looks. I suggested a motorcycle parking spot in the foyer AND in the living room to my wife. She suggested a spot in the garage where I could start sleeping. I assured her that I knew that spot intimately.......why else would I have a leather couch (and an A/C) in my garage? :)

Sometimes, you can't get a better night of sleep than to surround yourself with the smells of a well used garage, with a coupla drop lamps spotlighting some fine machines, lounging on your favorite old leather couch (the one you can't keep in the house anymore....).

SF2DieHard
10-17-2012, 08:27 AM
It's threads like this (and people like these) that make me glad I hang out in this forum.
And on another note; I just read your new sig Axe. And it made me wish that George Carlin and Frank Zappa had written an album together.
Now I will return to living the MV dream vicariously through Axecent.

DM

Axecent
10-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I always thought that Kurt Vonnegut and Frank could have made a good team.

Axecent
10-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Well, got back to the MV battery project figuring a few minutes to put tail back on solo. Nay, sayeth Massimo....you must have TWO people to accomplish this or grow a third hand. Got a real mechanic with me as helper and about 30 minutes later, it is good to go. The engineer/designer that came up with that little fucking spring for the seat assy that hooks under the frame crossmember should have his fucking head placed on a pike. It is one of the most beautiful motorcycles I have ever seen, IMO, even with its' clothes off, but it is not all that friendly to get intimate with. Sound familiar? Yeah, I have 2 Bimotas....same story, 2nd verse.

jrflanne
10-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I saw a modern MV with its clothes off at Metric. Those things are put together. Sounds like a bit of an ass-whipping to live with. Like a coke-whore supermodel I suppose. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Axecent
10-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I saw a modern MV with its clothes off at Metric. Those things are put together. Sounds like a bit of an ass-whipping to live with. Like a coke-whore supermodel I suppose. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Did Andy have a 750 on the floor? Things going OK down there?

SF2DieHard
10-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I am so glad to live vicariously thru you

jrflanne
10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Did Andy have a 750 on the floor? Things going OK down there?

Havent been there in a while but I did run into him. Say everything is ok ans found somebody he can work with.

Christian157
02-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I have a tamburini as well but I do not see the problem changing out a battery. It is weird that they have the regular batteries installed sideways and reversed. As for the Shorai-does it have the funky connectors or the normal terminals like a lead acid battery? (I have Alien Motion lithium batteries in some of my bikes and they have traditional terminals.)

Axecent
06-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Took the Tambo out today for a quick flogging. Jesus, that thing makes brutal power.