PDA

View Full Version : Tuono V4R Test ride

u00bgg2
07-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Wondering how many others have taken a test ride on the new Tuono V4R. I was out and about today and stopped by my location dealer and they had one that was a demo from an Aprilia promotion that Aprilia had not picked up the bike yet. He asked me if I wanted to go for a ride, so I signed some paper work and took off for scoot through the mountains.

Before I comment on the experience I must say that my perspective is tainted by the fact that the bike had the full Akro exhaust on it and the sound was pure evil.

Pros, seating position I thought was pretty good, I am 6-4" and 250lbs and I felt pretty comfortable for the 40 miles or so I did on the bike. The seat was (in my opinion) much better than the Dorso, my flatter and more supportive. The handle bars were higher than I expected, had a pretty decent riser coming off the triple clamp. Pretty hot hear today, as with most places and the bike did not put off much heat when I got caught in traffic even when the fans came on. The motor is different than what I am use to, I have had big twins and singles for the last several years so the V4 was a little different. I was surprised at how little the motor had on the bottom, I was expecting a lot more. The difference is once the steam starts building the thing takes off like a big bore two stroke of days gone by. On the flip side there is not nearly as much engine braking as I expected or was use to, I like this and is one of the reasons I have been on the bikes I have.

The con, at least for me, the bike steered heavier than anything I have ridden in recent memory, stable but slow and very heavy. I remember when the 916 came out and people commented about the slow speed associated with the steering, and I can tell you the Tuono is much much slower and heavier. The other con for me is the price for what it is, more than I can stomach at this time.

After the test ride I got back on the Dorso and realized that this is probably one of the most under appreciated bikes out there right now, and I am glad I was able to get one as it has been a blast from the first day.

SoulDaddy
07-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Seems like just about all apes are under appreciated, doesn't it?

u00bgg2
07-08-2012, 07:15 PM
I would agree that most Aprilia's are not appreciated as they could be or should be, but in the scope Aprilia does not do them selves any favors in many aspects. If you turned back the clock and looked at Ducati 20 years ago they had many of the same issues, but they were smart and recognized the potential to charge a premium for a "premium" brand and here we are today. Piaggio is big company with big resources but to this point they do not seem to be able to keep there markets straight as a motorcycle is not a scooter and people who plop down 10K plus for a bike have different expectations long after the sale.

telboy39
07-16-2012, 07:16 AM
I test ride both bikes last week and they both have great virtues.
My stature at 5'6" better suits the Tuono but I have to admit that the Dorso is very very good and seriously under-rated.
I used to own a 990 KTM and the Dorso is light years ahead in every way....the LC8 engine is agricultural compared to the Aprilia 1200.
If my height weren't an issue with the Dorso it also be in my plans.

SoulDaddy
08-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Can anyone say how the Dorso compares to a nicely set up Tuoldo?

In terms of

Grunt
Top end
Flickablility
Handling
Comfort

Micah / AF1 Racing
08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
That Tuono V4 must have either had way too stiff a damp er setting for the steering or low front tire pressure, they are normally very neutral steering, neither heavy not too lite.

u00bgg2
08-11-2012, 08:58 PM
I have had the low front tire issue and i dont think it was that. To my suprise this baby had more than 30k miles on the clock, yes i checked twice!!!

lanter
08-11-2012, 09:22 PM
:gunner: the 1200 just kicks ass, plain and simple!

Hyper
08-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Comparing a catlike bike as a tuono v4 to a 916 is by far the most funny thing i've read recently, a real nonsense
Or that tuono was really BAD or your memory is quite weak , The only thing this 2 bikes have in common is the nation of birth, nothing else .

telboy39
08-25-2012, 03:03 PM
the stock suspension of the Tuono V4 can sometimes make the feel slower than expected and the grippy tyres also add to that ... the Dorso is very light steered with a slightly more rearward weight distribution and wider bars so its easier to steer.
Once set up the Tuono is effortless and steers at the mere hint of a bend.

The Dorso 1200 I rode is on par with the MK1 Tuono in many ways and for taller riders would be a great upgrade...the engine in the 1200 is mad with an instant kick that even the V4 Tuono can't live with.
Handling is a bit firm in stock trim but thats easily sorted and it remains stable and composed even at speed.
Comfort is good due to a fairly broad seat but I think 2up could be a tight squeeze as the seat is short.
Top end isn't what these bikes are about so aren't designed to be there...140+mph on a big SM is never going to be nice and its only geared like that so as to leave cruising on open roads quite pleasant at sensible revs.