PDA

View Full Version : Mv agusta f4 reliability?

BostonBrandon
06-25-2012, 11:27 PM
sadly I just sold my 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R and im interested in the F4.

is the F4 reliable?
what are the common issues with this bike?
would you say they are as reliable as Jap bikes?
does it have similar problems as the RSVR such as Stator, electrical issues, Sprag clutch nightmare. ect..

this time im need to do some background checks on these beautiful Italian bikes. with my experience so far is that you cant judge a book by its cover. Whats on the inside is what really matters.

Cuest
06-27-2012, 01:08 PM
sadly I just sold my 2004 Aprilia RSV1000R and im interested in the F4.

is the F4 reliable?
what are the common issues with this bike?
would you say they are as reliable as Jap bikes?
does it have similar problems as the RSVR such as Stator, electrical issues, Sprag clutch nightmare. ect..

this time im need to do some background checks on these beautiful Italian bikes. with my experience so far is that you cant judge a book by its cover. Whats on the inside is what really matters.

The F4 is a beautiful bike and it is reliability is pretty good. The biggest issue with the F4 is HEAT! The bike overheats if not ridden with constant air flow and forget about getting stuck in traffic its down right unbearable with the heat that rises from it and it WILL overheat. There are a few things you can do to prevent it from over heating that will cost some time and money. For me, I had a 2006 F4 1000s (the 2007's had some nice upgrades), I had to upgrade the water pump to a racing water pump, switch out the coolant to water wetter, add an extra fan to the radiator, install muzzy fan blades and finally a fan override switch. These issues are common on the F4. If you go over to the mvagusta.net (I am on there with the same screen name)forum you will see that even newer ones have this issue. My other gripe with it was the twitchy throttle and vibrations both supposedly characters of the bike but it's way too much in my opinion. The bike handles great, but suspension and brakes left me less than impressed. I gave up my F4 for the RSV4R and everyday it reminds me of what great of a decision that was.

At the end, the F4 is a nice looking bike, but even my 06 GSXR 1000 will out perform it. I would highly recommend getting a 2010 or later F4 if you really wish to own an F4.

Best!

Bill in OKC
06-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Agree with the heat issue. A friend had to do the same things - better water pump impeller, metal fan blades (because the stock plastic ones melted/wilted). He says it is mostly fixed now and I do not think it has ever left him stranded. He also had Ferracci reprogram the computer for new exhaust and maybe intake. He was disappointed at the gas mileage afterwards but supposedly that helps cool it off some too. Before, I remember him tracking down the antifreeze overflows/drips in a parking lot, now all I can say is the bike sounds wicked when he starts it up and that lopey idle (not really lopey but fast/slow). It reminds me of the pits at a World superbike race.

SEAN
07-15-2012, 03:54 PM
The MV F4 is a great machine,

I have heard a lot about overheating, but it isn't a problem on mine in the U.K. There are many with the muzzy fans, and companies that will rework the ecu to bring the fans on earlier and remap etc if you wish

The F4 is on a par fuel consumption wise imo, and I changed my RSV Factory for my R312. I regret letting the Factory go, but will replace it soon, however, I do not regret the MV purchase at all.

There are a few models, and the R312 was going to be the only one for me, because it was most likely going to have the character I like bikes to have. Unnecessarily fast, but why buy an S and want to tweak it. The R312 has wilder cams, and I have no intention of altering it unless a full approved exhaust comes up, but really not bothered.

It is one of the loudest standard i4 bikes, and people comment on it all the time. The engine hunts on cold starts, it pops on overrun, and the soundtrack is just astonishing, changing throughout the rev range as it escalates into a complete cocophony of mechanical and intake noise.

It is heavier than the RSV, but very stable, and because it is stable, it is precise and reassuring. It's very comfortable, and smaller than the RSV a little, I probably look silly on it at 6'3".

It is novel at first getting used to it as it can 'switch off' the engine braking in a way, as it has a function that fuels cyl no.2 on overrun, so it acts a bit like a slipper, the RR312 has both.

I have no reason to question reliability other than the stories of the radiator cracking at the top left gallery, but they are very light assemblies. Mine leaked. But then the bike was hit last year, and the leak was on the return journey of the first long trip after that, there was no damage that side, and i'd done approx 1k prior, so just coincidence.

Some people complain about jerky throttle, but it isn't as in poor fuelling, it is just a bit all or nothing from tickover, so manouverin and tight turns at low speed take some learning, for me at least.

If you want another bike that is a thoroughbred, the MV F4 is it, the jap stuff is hum drum. I have a lovely Repsol Blade, it does everything well, but just is lacking in specialness. It is just a colour change on a silver frame which is the only difference fom standard, no floating discs, showa forks and shock, three spoke rims, and worst, the bog standard shite jap plastic fairing, used on all jap bikes, waifer thin, and the sort of plastic that stone smash open or clumsy techs crack on removal.

The Aprilia and MV fairings are like a polythene base, and can be bent about all day without cracking, I know i've been in accidents on both, pretty much head on. The MV hasn't had a single part replaced and WAS head on. Unbelieveable (it has damage of course, I didn't order the optional force field lol).

Oh, there are issues surrounding failing rear hub bearings, tight chain and pressure washers will cause this, but the bearing is weak apparently. A guy on the MV forum has developed an alternative.

Only my2p of course

Ask Noel the Knurl. He contacted me when I got mine, as he is on MV Agusta.net, and was reassuring that they are good. They also are easy to work on, and no back brake, stator, clutch fault etc etc.

BostonBrandon
07-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the Advise. So I ended up going for a 2006 ZX10R in Kawi Green, great bike without the little character flaws the Aprilia (or maybe all Italian bikes) had.

I do agree with one thing, The Japanese bikes just dont have the personality or charisma as the Aprilia, Ducati, or MV. Even though the ZX has the reliability and performance, its just lacking in someway.

SF2DieHard
07-18-2012, 10:20 PM
The Kawi sounds fine. But....
Do you suffer the character defect I do??
I bought a silver/orange Laverda 750 in 2000 (When I still lived in San Jose) and I had the ONLY ONE in the Bay Area for about six months. Some other guy got the 2nd one. We were IT.
I was very happy having the ONLY silver Lav in the entire Bay Area. That made me quite pleased with myself.
I never saw that 2nd silver Lav on the road ever.

DM