PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia RS50 1999 - Re Build/Modify (Pics+Info)

EJD
06-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Aprilia RS50 - 1999 - T Reg

Parts It Has:

Doppler WR7 Exhaust System
Doppler Grips
Polini Air Filter Sheet
Polini 0.30mm Reeds
Polini 78 (may change) Jet
12 and 13 tooth sprocket (not sure which to use)
New Chrome Horn
Cyclone C-11 Bike Alarm/Immobiliser (wireless start not wired)

Parts To Come:

Fully Spray Painted Black
Red Tape round rims
Red Handle bars, levers, pedals, and foot brake/gear changer
Red painted windscreen
Red fairing screws
Red Mirrors
Re upholstered seats (red obviously) :) :)
Maybe red grips
and red dust caps

Cost:
Bike: 950
Parts: Over 350 so far
At least 100-200 more to come

I will update this thread as I progress through my mini project :)

Here are some pics of the bike currently and some of the parts . . .

Ok, So apparently you can only have 10 photos so please go to www.photobucket.com/RS50 (http://www.photobucket.com/RS50) to view all my photos :)

Glen1990
06-16-2012, 02:06 AM
you can copy the link and just paste the photos and link them from photobucket

EJD
06-16-2012, 05:13 AM
you can copy the link and just paste the photos and link them from photobucket

There is a limit of 10 :(

chrism15
06-16-2012, 06:05 AM
like the exhaust, attach them via the forum. go down when youv replyed to a thread and before you click reply or save go down to attachments ect

and put the 12 TOOTH sprocket on, you want to make it easier to get up the hill and it will help alot

EJD
06-16-2012, 06:32 AM
like the exhaust, attach them via the forum. go down when youv replyed to a thread and before you click reply or save go down to attachments ect

and put the 12 TOOTH sprocket on, you want to make it easier to get up the hill and it will help alot

Ok, I will attach them in a bit.
As for the sprocket, I want to see the power gain first before I change the sprocket.

RS_Patrick
06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Sorry, but i got no clue why your messing so much with a good running bike while you claim that all you want out of it is 55/60mph with good acceleration.

EJD
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Sorry, but i got no clue why your messing so much with a good running bike while you claim that all you want out of it is 55/60mph with good acceleration.

ITS NOT A FUCKING GOOD RUNNING BIKE!!

Patrick, I know what to expect out of this bike even though its only a 50cc.
When I first got it, it ran like a charm up and down the hills now its just barely able to get up the hill at 4-5 Mph.
Anyway, as for the parts I wanted to buy an older model and upgrade a fare few pieces and do ALOT of cosmetic work to it.

Glen1990
06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
ITS NOT A FUCKING GOOD RUNNING BIKE!!

Patrick, I know what to expect out of this bike even though its only a 50cc.
When I first got it, it ran like a charm up and down the hills now its just barely able to get up the hill at 4-5 Mph.
Anyway, as for the parts I wanted to buy an older model and upgrade a fare few pieces and do ALOT of cosmetic work to it.

why an older model you do know the rs's are the same from 1999 to 2006 right?

chrism15
06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
it definatly was a good running bike, if you want more power which you OBVIOUSLY do coz you want more torque for the hill ect then GET A BORE KIT atm its 50cc and on a hill its not gonna fly up it at 12000 rpm

patrick knows what the bike is like, he has seen the past 8 months of its life through here and knows everything there is to know about the Rs50 considering he has worked and owned many of them for years

Glen1990
06-18-2012, 04:45 PM
i just feel hes not hitting the power band right

chrism15
06-18-2012, 04:49 PM
:plus: he needs to learn to ride it first, i honestly dont know why hes ripped the top end off

Glen1990
06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
one thing you did fit new gaskets on top end after removing it right atleast the base? o rings normaly are ok

chrism15
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
one thing you did fit new gaskets on top end after removing it right atleast the base? o rings normaly are ok

yerr i replaced the hole top end mate, cylinder, piston, rings, gudgen pin, circlips, base gasket, and both head gaskets

fired up first time afterwards

EJD
06-18-2012, 06:34 PM
why an older model you do know the rs's are the same from 1999 to 2006 right?

I ment a 1999-2006 not a 2006+ model.
"older model" < 2006
"newer model" > 2006

I just think Chris's at the time sounded like the best option and seemed pretty looked after compared to most for sale at the time.
I wasn't after a 500 bike needing of some work.

EJD
06-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Ok, deleted my last message.
Hopefully non of you read it. Think I got a bit to angry . . .

As for my issue with the bike, something has changed.
Be it the exhaust, carb, jets, spark, crank seal, oil, petrol exec
I wanted to upgrade SOME parts but also fix my issue at the same time . . .
I rode the bike for a few days and it ran a good 30Mph+ up the same hill it now only does 4-5Mph up.
My engine will be properly put back together by the end of the day tomorrow and hopefully my issues will be solved.

chrism15
06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
mate the bike never needed any work when i sold it too you! the most it could of done with is a exhaust.

you cant say it has devolped a problem becuase you need to learn out to ride it through the powerband and use the clutch to get up hill, they dont pull as hard as bigger bikes or small cars.

i dont understand why youv gone and ripped the hole top end of the engine apart

if you wanted to look at the right hand crank seal you can access it via gearbox side ect

Glen1990
06-19-2012, 04:01 AM
should go up any hill at 20 to 30mph if its destricted tho

EJD
06-19-2012, 05:08 AM
should go up any hill at 20 to 30mph if its destricted tho

Thank you!!
which my bike doesn't and stutters around 4k revs whilst going up the hill VERY slowly.

Glen1990
06-19-2012, 05:51 AM
you shouldnt be anywhere near 4000rpm you should be much higher rpm as theres no power at 4000rpm

EJD
06-19-2012, 06:02 AM
you shouldnt be anywhere near 4000rpm you should be much higher rpm as theres no power at 4000rpm

I know, I'm at pretty much full throttle and it won't go an inch more than 4k revs.

Every once in a while It will run up the hill perfectly at 7k revs and around 20-30mph

ryanperkins
06-19-2012, 06:06 AM
I know, I'm at pretty much full throttle and it won't go an inch more than 4k revs.

Every once in a while It will run up the hill perfectly at 7k revs and around 20-30mph

drop it down a gear or to and youll fly up it :L i could get mine flying up a steep hill at about 55mph and still climb! just gotta learn how to ride it like chris is saying...
also when you put your new pipe on did you re-jet accordingly? when i put my polini pipe on it spluttered out about 5000rpm until about 7500rpm until i got it re-jetted (next day) problem was gone!

EJD
06-19-2012, 06:12 AM
drop it down a gear or to and youll fly up it :L i could get mine flying up a steep hill at about 55mph and still climb! just gotta learn how to ride it like chris is saying...
also when you put your new pipe on did you re-jet accordingly? when i put my polini pipe on it spluttered out about 5000rpm until about 7500rpm until i got it re-jetted (next day) problem was gone!

Its in 1st gear. . .

As for the pipe I haven't ran the engine yet with all the new parts.
New gaskets are arriving in an hour and as for the jets I'm running a 78 maybe a bit less.

ryanperkins
06-19-2012, 06:14 AM
well i have no idea :L just slip the clutch to get you into the band and should be ok :) and i dont know if thats right or wrong but i think the problem is something to do with jetting :)

EJD
06-19-2012, 06:22 AM
well i have no idea :L just slip the clutch to get you into the band and should be ok :) and i dont know if thats right or wrong but i think the problem is something to do with jetting :)

Dumping the clutch does nothing, revs drop down again soon as you dump the clutch.
Im with the jetting as well.

ryanperkins
06-19-2012, 06:26 AM
not drop it, SLIP it :)

Glen1990
06-19-2012, 06:40 AM
wait what exhaust do you have? it sounds like the carb aint set up right now when my carb wasnt set up right i could even get up to 20mph

EJD
06-19-2012, 07:17 AM
wait what exhaust do you have? it sounds like the carb aint set up right now when my carb wasnt set up right i could even get up to 20mph

Doppler WR7, the bike runs well on the flats.
Its just hills it is having issues with.
Gaskets just arrived so I am going to put engine back together and see what happenes :)

ryanperkins
06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
yeah thats what mine was like glenn, i said to him it aint jetted right :P

chrism15
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
dumping the clutch will probs stall it lol!

slip the clutch, learn to ride it.

2 strokes act differently you need to get used to riding the clutch up hills and sliding through gears without losing rpm and ending up at a crawl IE 4 or 5mph

spluttering will mean the jet is too big

ryanperkins
06-19-2012, 12:52 PM
dumping the clutch will probs stall it lol!

slip the clutch, learn to ride it.

2 strokes act differently you need to get used to riding the clutch up hills and sliding through gears without losing rpm and ending up at a crawl IE 4 or 5mph

spluttering will mean the jet is too big

+1!!
and i used to love hills, got mine to do around 55-60mp up huge hills! in 4th-5th but most the time 4th because id go into 5th and start loosing revs :P

EJD just listen to chris and learn to ride it properly :)
slipping the clutch is like holding it on the biting point and throttling it (i cant really explain but im sure someone will help me out on that one :P)

apriliamandan
06-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Sounds to me that u need to learn how to ride a 2 stroke mate! Few years back my dads mate bought a rd250 yam, kept telling my dad it wasnt going right, wouldnt get up hills etc etc dad took it out....was fine just a high power band compared to ya average honda 4 lol

nathan k
06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Can we place bets on the rebuild not doing anything and a correctly setup carb and more experience riding it being the answer?

Btw if it's not screaming to death your revs are too low and do some plug chops!

chrism15
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
remember he is still running it in aswel but yerr he really needs to get used to riding the clutch, every single bike is different!! some bikes have soft clutches and others have harder clutches which is either all or nothing,

iv had my Suzuki a few weeks now and today has been the first time iv got the gear changes perfect to the point of feeling it pull right the way through, got up to 90mph no probs just feeling the engine, next time il get it right again coz i know how the bike reacts ect

you may think you know a bike, how it acts, how to control it straight away purely coz youi change gear ok but it takes time no magtter how much experience you have

EJD
06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
. . . Any one got some thing more imaginative than "im a shit rider"?

What don't you guys get about "IT WORKED PERFECTLY BEFORE" then "ONCE I PUT TOO MUCH OIL IN AND HAD TO CLEAN THE CARB EXEC OUT IT STOPPED WORKING"???????

I rev upto 7-8K revs SLOWLY let the clutch out and add more power as it starts to bite then "SNAP" it just looses all power and slugs up the hill at 5Mph and 4K limit.
It will not touch and mm past 4K revs EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

Please stop with the "ride it properly" I know what I need to do, I have ridden "not owned" a few bikes before 50's and more and mine isn't acting normal up hills!!

Im giving it a ton of revs trying to set off up the hill and the SECOND it moves it looses PRETTY MUCH ALL POWER!!!

Anyway, New reeds and gaskets came today so I will rebuild tonight and try again tomorrow.

chrism15
06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
hill starting on a Rs50, course its not gonna have much power its normal for revs to drop from 7000rpm downwards coz its under strain from the hill

and a few people on here have already told you that there is a high chance you have blown the crankseals, if your losing power since you mixed way to much oil with the fuel then doesnt that give you the clue?

do your previous bikes include pit bikes? erm yerr they dont suffer the same on hills because generally ther 125cc and 4 stroke! and they dont weigh half the weight of a Rs50

fit all the new parts AND THE 12 TOOTH SPROCKET and report back

we are not saying you are a shit rider at all you are taking it the wrong way completly, youv had the bike a mear few weeks and you definatly wont be able to ride it properly yet - again im not saying you dont know what to do or cant do gears! im saying it takes time to adjust to the bike individually
EVERYBIKE IS DIFFERENT no matter wether its same CC or whatever they are all different

nathan k
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
. . . Any one got some thing more imaginative than "im a shit rider"?

What don't you guys get about "IT WORKED PERFECTLY BEFORE" then "ONCE I PUT TOO MUCH OIL IN AND HAD TO CLEAN THE CARB EXEC OUT IT STOPPED WORKING"???????

I rev upto 7-8K revs SLOWLY let the clutch out and add more power as it starts to bite then "SNAP" it just looses all power and slugs up the hill at 5Mph and 4K limit.
It will not touch and mm past 4K revs EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

Please stop with the "ride it properly" I know what I need to do, I have ridden "not owned" a few bikes before 50's and more and mine isn't acting normal up hills!!

Im giving it a ton of revs trying to set off up the hill and the SECOND it moves it looses PRETTY MUCH ALL POWER!!!

Anyway, New reeds and gaskets came today so I will rebuild tonight and try again tomorrow.

Sounds like carb/fuel problem. Blow through the jets with compressed air and give the carb a clean. does sound like the carb is not adjusted properly though, does oil drip out the exhaust?

EJD
06-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Sounds like carb/fuel problem. Blow through the jets with compressed air and give the carb a clean. does sound like the carb is not adjusted properly though, does oil drip out the exhaust?

oil used to drip a bit.
But now it has new exhaust exec I need to retest everything again.

Sam Kilner
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Hey, Guys i need help!
I have a aprilia rs50 1998 and recently the gears have messed up, so i stripped own the engine expecting to find a broken cog or something but all i seem to have found is a cog witch im not sure if it should or shouldn't move! Please help ive attached images :) Also where it looks like the cogs engage it seems not to line up, It show in the images
http://postimage.org/image/b09loh2p7/
http://postimage.org/image/t2xmicf87/

Thanks for the help ;)

ryanperkins
06-19-2012, 03:21 PM
hill starting mine was a dog!! because of the revvy 50cc polini kit the powerband was around 9000/9500rpm
which ment there was NO power down low and yeah its fair enough your letting the clutch out slowly on hill start but dont fully release it (this is slipping!) and you'll feel when you can let go of the clutch lever completely, normaly when you hit powerband :)

hopefully this will help you get up the hill ;P

and yeah like chris said if its been pitbikes youve been riding then they're 4strokes and have much more torque for low down power!
i.e my mate is used to riding pit bikes, he had a go on my mates rs4 50 and when he got to a hill he stalled it, then blamed the bike for being shit and slow (but hes an idiot anyway haha!) then i shown him how it was done on the rs4 50 and then on mine :L he still thinks that its the bike that is shit not him :L

i think that little story is pretty similar to this thread :L

chrism15
06-19-2012, 03:26 PM
either way if its a half decent hill the revs are gonna drop a bit when the clutch starts to bite, its called strain on the engine

its like on a push bike going up a steep hill, you can ony pedal so fast on the hill coz its so much strain on your legs... on flat its fine

ryanperkins
06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
either way if its a half decent hill the revs are gonna drop a bit when the clutch starts to bite, its called strain on the engine

its like on a push bike going up a steep hill, you can ony pedal so fast on the hill coz its so much strain on your legs... on flat its fine

+1 nice example :P

EJD
06-19-2012, 03:55 PM
+1 nice example :P
@Chris

Ok, Then explain why it worked 100% before?
I could start it onthe SAME hill and it would fly up there.
Now, It WONT!!

Explain that . . .

chrism15
06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
loss of compression!!!!!!!

youv said since you"v overfilled the fuel with to much two stroke oil and since then its been playing up, if you lose compression you lose power

many people on here inlcuding myself have said crankseals, from what you have done and told us that is the same conclusion we have coem up with so that gives u a clue

EJD
06-19-2012, 04:44 PM
loss of compression!!!!!!!

youv said since you"v overfilled the fuel with to much two stroke oil and since then its been playing up, if you lose compression you lose power

many people on here inlcuding myself have said crankseals, from what you have done and told us that is the same conclusion we have coem up with so that gives u a clue

But pretty much every post I have read says that if my crank seal was blown I would have either dripping oil and/or a MUCH BIGGER compression loss than I do at the minute.
I am only loosing less than 10Psi which is probably down to shot gaskets and a exhaust that has past its time now.
Btw, Found out earlier the exhaust was FULL of oil and leaked all down the side of the house where I have left it the last week. (think I found my issue)
I havn't re tried a new compression with new exhaust yet . . .

Darkzy
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
A compression test with your exhaust won't make any difference,

If you had lost 10psi compression and have now changed exhaust, you will still lose 10PSI compression...

Have you at least checked your crank seals at all? ... I had this problem and it was my crank seals.. Check them... and replace them!!! there like 7 to buy and an hour - 2 hours worth of work!

EDIT: Also regarding the oil thats in your exhaust, All the two stroke mix should be burnt with the fuel, so the extra oil that your crank seal is dumping into the barrel is being pushed into exhaust.. Only explination, Stop using excuses not to check the crank seal just replace them! both!

EJD
06-19-2012, 07:18 PM
I have crank case gaskets now.
Should I replace them tomorrow?

Also, how hard of a job is it?
And yer, I will give you that one, I am making a bit of a deal not wanting to replace them :(

chrism15
06-20-2012, 05:22 AM
I have crank case gaskets now.
Should I replace them tomorrow?

Also, how hard of a job is it?
And yer, I will give you that one, I am making a bit of a deal not wanting to replace them :(

you have the crankcase seals? or do you mean you have the base gasket for bottom of cylinder ect?? :confused:

the crankseals, the right hand crankseal can be accessed through the clutch cover but the one for the stator side i think you need to split the cases for that one

Glen1990
06-20-2012, 05:26 AM
wait split the cases to do what? you dont need to split the cases to replace either side of the crank seals

chrism15
06-20-2012, 05:36 AM
sorry i got that a bit wrong, on the let hand side you"d need to remove the flywheel and stator... just woke up haha

Glen1990
06-20-2012, 05:38 AM
sorry i got that a bit wrong, on the let hand side you"d need to remove the flywheel and stator... just woke up haha

yeah lmao

EJD
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Erm . . .

So I just need to remove what?

I got the AM6 complete engine gasket kit of adrenaline.
I don't think it includes seals.

Can one of you guys explain what I need to do to replace the crank seals :)

Also, I put the engine back together.
The gasket leaked a bit off coolant exec so I have to re do the top gasket with some more instant but that pretty much done now.

Btw, Had the engine running for a good 10-15 seconds then It cut out (didn't give it gas to warm up) It sounded proper deep with a slight grunt :)

RonneBear
06-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Ok, deleted my last message.
Hopefully non of you read it. Think I got a bit to angry . . .

As for my issue with the bike, something has changed.
I wanted to upgrade SOME parts but also fix my issue at the same time . . .
I rode the bike for a few days and it ran a good 30Mph+ up the same hill it now only does 4-5Mph up.
My engine will be properly put back together by the end of the day tomorrow and hopefully my issues will be solved.

What is your issue?

chrism15
06-21-2012, 05:33 AM
What is your issue?

he wants it to be faster on a steep hill..

apriliamandan
06-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Its a 50cc bike, even on 400's you notice hills mate!!!
How does it go on a flat surface? You need to keep revs between 8k and 11k at all times fo rit to keep in the powerband.
You say u put too much 2 stroke oil in, are you premixing then???!!!! This is an important point actually!! If you are premixing what ratio u mixng at??
if you want it to behave like a bigger bike then you have one option, sell it.

EJD
06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
he wants it to be faster on a steep hill..

No actually.
The engine has a low compression.
And now when ever I go up hills it is shit slow.
I think it has something to do with when I put too much oil in the tank.

However, as of today I just did a new compression test and it blew 150 PSI ???

I took compression rod off and All is see is COOLANT in the cylinder.
So, its a shit head gasket (new from adrenaline) put a bit of instant gasket on it to keep it still and a good seal but it failed.

I have taken off filter, carb, reeds, cylinder, piston and I have emptied the whole entire crank off coolant.
Is there a way to get the last drops out of the crank?

Also, any one got the steps to replace crank seals?

@RonneBear some people on here seem to be getting a but full of them selves and blaming me for why it goes slow up a hill and saying I don't know how to ride a 2 stroke.
However, When I first bought the bike it wissed up the hills perfectly but know (after oil mess up) it wont.
If you read back a few posts you can see everyone HELPING OUT ALOT by just saying the bikes fine and I am the cause.

EJD
06-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Its a 50cc bike, even on 400's you notice hills mate!!!
How does it go on a flat surface? You need to keep revs between 8k and 11k at all times fo rit to keep in the powerband.
You say u put too much 2 stroke oil in, are you premixing then???!!!! This is an important point actually!! If you are premixing what ratio u mixng at??
if you want it to behave like a bigger bike then you have one option, sell it.

Mate, It went up hills fine before like I said.
Where not talking anything that too steep just semi small inclines.
As for the straights it stutters like a bitch and has little to no power below 6K revs (its still being run in so carn't go full whack)

As for the oil I was told I had to pre mix by chriss but now im just sticking to the oil pump to sort the oil out.

chrism15
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
when you said this issue first occured you said "ITS FINE ON FLATS ITS AS SOON AS IT GETS TO A HILL..."

premixing, yes i said put a couple of capsfull in with a full tank of fuel to be safe not the 1:50 ratio you put in

you say the compression is low, but THE FIRST TEST IS INVALID... you applyed no throttle and you need full throttle to allow air into the system to compress

the one you have apperently just done which blew 150psi, thats GOOD COMPRESSION!!

if there is water in the cylinder then the head gasket is either fitted wrong or the cylinder head isnt down tight enough.. dont use instant gasket on head gaskets as its more likely to leak unless its just to hold it in place whilst fitting

if its stuttering, its getting too much fuel, jet will be too big

crankseals are not part of a gasket kit even a full kit..
http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Crank_bearing_and_seal_kit_for_Minarelli_AM_3456_e ngines-1475.aspx

adrenalin are sold out, dunno when there next stock is in so try easy parts as you might be able to by just the seals for bit cheaper

there is another option for more power other than selling it, 75cc set up which revs to 14000rpm with alot more power than 50cc

but your compression is 150psi which is good!!!!.

EJD
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
when you said this issue first occured you said "ITS FINE ON FLATS ITS AS SOON AS IT GETS TO A HILL..."

premixing, yes i said put a couple of capsfull in with a full tank of fuel to be safe not the 1:50 ratio you put in

you say the compression is low, but THE FIRST TEST IS INVALID... you applyed no throttle and you need full throttle to allow air into the system to compress

the one you have apperently just done which blew 150psi, thats GOOD COMPRESSION!!

if there is water in the cylinder then the head gasket is either fitted wrong or the cylinder head isnt down tight enough.. dont use instant gasket on head gaskets as its more likely to leak unless its just to hold it in place whilst fitting

if its stuttering, its getting too much fuel, jet will be too big

crankseals are not part of a gasket kit even a full kit..
http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Crank_bearing_and_seal_kit_for_Minarelli_AM_3456_e ngines-1475.aspx

adrenalin are sold out, dunno when there next stock is in so try easy parts as you might be able to by just the seals for bit cheaper

there is another option for more power other than selling it, 75cc set up which revs to 14000rpm with alot more power than 50cc

but your compression is 150psi which is good!!!!.

Chriss, the 150 PSI was because the cylinder was full of coolant.
Remeber air can escape out a gap MUCH quicker than water can causing the higher compression.

chrism15
06-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Chriss, the 150 PSI was because the cylinder was full of coolant.
Remeber air can escape out a gap MUCH quicker than water can causing the higher compression.

ah fair does, your right if the coolant is flowing into cylinder then thats another test thats invalid

apriliamandan
06-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I still dont get the oil situation.
So the oil pump was dissconnected so u ran premix of what ratio mate??
If you werent running enough oil through the engine is would semi seize resulting on it being down on power. May have seized one piston ring....??

chrism15
06-21-2012, 01:26 PM
If you werent running enough oil through the engine is would semi seize resulting on it being down on power. May have seized one piston ring....??

no basically i said cozz hes running it in put a bit of oil in with a tank of fuel to be safe, like a cap or two full

oil pump tis fine

but he mixed way to much oil in the tank so it ran at 1:20 ration or 1:50 ratio which is a HEAVY mix so we think he has popped a crank seal due to the excess oil in the crankcase so he loses some compression

nicketynoo
06-21-2012, 01:42 PM
God I'm so frustrated reading this. too many guys getting onto EJD about him not riding the bike properly and not reading what he's saying. The bike ran fine at first up the hill, he mixed too much oil in the petrol and now it is garbage up hill. Sounds very much to me like your crank seals could have gone, but if I were you I'd build it back up like you're doing and try and get it running ok first. If you cannot get it running anything like then change the seals.
EJD if I were you I'd get myself a workshop manual and follow it closely, a torque wrench would help you get everything built right . Haynes is a decent manual even tho' patrick hates it but the photo's help someone with less experience, also download the one from aprilia and compare them both.
The gasket set you got should be fine as even cheap ones will do the job, are you sure you've fitted the correct seals on the head as there are usually several different ones in a kit. Take a photo of the head and seals you've got and we'll try and put you right.
you shouldn't need any instant gasket on them! sometimes a small smear on the base gasket will help but definitely not on the head.
You've got a SHA carb fitted and you could do with some advice on what jet to fit ,unfortunately I can't help you there ,but I have got some jets to fit that I'll send you free of charge when you fin what size to start at. This should get you up and running enough to check the plug and fine tune the jets.
If you need to change the crank seals you will need to remove the flywheel, so a tool is a must for this ,10-12 off ebay. Also I think you'll have to remove the cltch basket ,but not 100% on that one. If so you'll need a tool to hold it while you ondo the centre nut. Check my project out to see the tool I made to get mine off, copied it from the Haynes manual and it works a treat!
Take your time and double check everything and you'll get it sorted.

Ps if I remember right you had a load of umpa lumpa shit around where you're reed cage bolted down, are you sure thats still airtight?

apriliamandan
06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
no basically i said cozz hes running it in put a bit of oil in with a tank of fuel to be safe, like a cap or two full

oil pump tis fine

but he mixed way to much oil in the tank so it ran at 1:20 ration or 1:50 ratio which is a HEAVY mix so we think he has popped a crank seal due to the excess oil in the crankcase so he loses some compression

Okay, well that sounds legit. EDJ get some new seals and ya sorted. Thats probs one of the best outcome!

EJD
06-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Pump worked fine.
Engine still being ran in so It needed a BIT of oil in the tank.
However, my oil in the tank + the oil filter made it have like a 1:10 ratio :( :(

EJD
06-21-2012, 04:00 PM
God I'm so frustrated reading this. too many guys getting onto EJD about him not riding the bike properly and not reading what he's saying. The bike ran fine at first up the hill, he mixed too much oil in the petrol and now it is garbage up hill. Sounds very much to me like your crank seals could have gone, but if I were you I'd build it back up like you're doing and try and get it running ok first. If you cannot get it running anything like then change the seals.
EJD if I were you I'd get myself a workshop manual and follow it closely, a torque wrench would help you get everything built right . Haynes is a decent manual even tho' patrick hates it but the photo's help someone with less experience, also download the one from aprilia and compare them both.
The gasket set you got should be fine as even cheap ones will do the job, are you sure you've fitted the correct seals on the head as there are usually several different ones in a kit. Take a photo of the head and seals you've got and we'll try and put you right.
you shouldn't need any instant gasket on them! sometimes a small smear on the base gasket will help but definitely not on the head.
You've got a SHA carb fitted and you could do with some advice on what jet to fit ,unfortunately I can't help you there ,but I have got some jets to fit that I'll send you free of charge when you fin what size to start at. This should get you up and running enough to check the plug and fine tune the jets.
If you need to change the crank seals you will need to remove the flywheel, so a tool is a must for this ,10-12 off ebay. Also I think you'll have to remove the cltch basket ,but not 100% on that one. If so you'll need a tool to hold it while you ondo the centre nut. Check my project out to see the tool I made to get mine off, copied it from the Haynes manual and it works a treat!
Take your time and double check everything and you'll get it sorted.

Ps if I remember right you had a load of umpa lumpa shit around where you're reed cage bolted down, are you sure thats still airtight?

haha, if you frustrated how do you think I feel?
My dads like "so what have people said" im like "I can't ride a 2 stroke" !!!!!!!

Anyway, as for the gaskets I bought this one: http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Minarelli_AM3456_complete_engine_gasket_kit%E2%80% 93_RS_50__2006_etc-1925.aspx
I am not sure weather I should be using the big red head gasket or the o-ring + 4 smaller rings round the screws?

As for the jets (thankss for you offer) but I have a range of 60-90 in steps of 2 or 3 I belive. I am using a 75 at the minute because of the exhaust and filter sheet.
The spark is an ok colour and its sparks well :)

Also, as for the umpa lumpa shit I have had to replace some of it but the rest is all good ;)

Also for everyone else reading I have fully cleaned out my crank case now with WD40 and a BIT of oil to lube it back up.
It only sat in coolant for 10-15 mins so hasn't really had chance to make anything rust or cause damage. (and yes, I washed it out 4 times) not just once :)

chrism15
06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
if it stutters the jet is a bit too big

you need the rubber o ring thats red + 4 holes which thread around the studs, thats what you fitted right? coz if it then that will be why its leaking (if you used the normal round one)

EJD
06-21-2012, 04:34 PM
if it stutters the jet is a bit too big

you need the rubber o ring thats red + 4 holes which thread around the studs, thats what you fitted right? coz if it then that will be why its leaking (if you used the normal round one)

Is the one that you fitted on the bike the normal one that can leak?
like the red one is this picture?

RonneBear
06-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Just rebuild the entire engine.

ryanperkins
06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Just rebuild the entire engine.

+1 abit of costly mistake the oil... gutted for you though! :L :/

EJD
06-22-2012, 08:07 AM
+1 abit of costly mistake the oil... gutted for you though! :L :/

I don't think I need to rebuild it.
Crank is in good condition and has been fully cleaned out and re lubed.

However, I will yet again put back the engine today and re test with better head gaskets.

Also, Does anyone know of any good 50cc super motos/dirt bikes I am thinking of buying a 2nd bike but one I can ALSO take off road.
I wont be selling the RS though.

Also, I reckon I would fully kit out a dirt bike with a 80cc kit, carb, reeds, exhaust, crank exec.

chrism15
06-22-2012, 08:56 AM
yes the red one in the pic with the four extra rings to fit round the studs, should not leak. the one i fitted never leaked

road legal supermoto?

god theres loads, in fact im looking for one too! again im not selling my suzuiki but want a supermoto 50 to practice wheelies on and for the snow

derbi senda

aprilia mx 50

aprilia rx 50

aprilia sx 50

yamaha dt 50

rieju make a nice supermoto 50 cant remember model but search rieju

----

how did you "re-lube" the crank? confused

i think since the heavy, well extremely heavy mix of oil went through the system it would be worth at least doing a full re-build but just new seals and bearings and then if you decide to fit 80cc set up in then go ahead whilst tis stripped...

Glen1990
06-22-2012, 09:19 AM
The aprilia rx is a really good off roader i thought anyways i had one while back not fun on road tho cornering was shit

RonneBear
06-22-2012, 09:17 PM
When i said rebuild the engine, i more ment dissemble/clean/ re-fit everything. But replace things that are worn, ect. Might be best to put a full gasket kit through it. And anything else that could be done while the engine is out.

EJD
06-23-2012, 03:55 AM
When i said rebuild the engine, i more ment dissemble/clean/ re-fit everything. But replace things that are worn, ect. Might be best to put a full gasket kit through it. And anything else that could be done while the engine is out.

Oh I see, I pretty much am cleaning everything as I go along.
However, Twice now coolant has leaked into the piston area :(

Chriss, I am going down to adrenaline today to pick up some more gaskets exec,
should I buy a new cylinder head whilst I am there? Maybe mine is warped?
I have tightened the head bolts diagonally with a torque wrench upto 16 Nw

Also, If I use the big red inner o-ring should I use the smaller black outer 0-ring or the much thicker red outer o-ring?
Also, Are there different torque settings for the tnt piston that I believe may be in there know??

RonneBear
06-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Have you had the top end apart before?

chrism15
06-23-2012, 08:16 AM
ronne bear, he has toke apart the top end ;) he hasnt touched the bottom end and niether did i when i owned it so i couldnt tell you what milage is on bottom end...

torque settings i cant remember now as i went off a sheet they gave me but it would of got thrown away (oily hands and all that :p:) tbh didnt expect it to be taken apart once sold haha

nathan k
06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
yes the red one in the pic with the four extra rings to fit round the studs, should not leak. the one i fitted never leaked

road legal supermoto?

god theres loads, in fact im looking for one too! again im not selling my suzuiki but want a supermoto 50 to practice wheelies on and for the snow

derbi senda

aprilia mx 50

aprilia rx 50

aprilia sx 50

yamaha dt 50

rieju make a nice supermoto 50 cant remember model but search rieju

----

how did you "re-lube" the crank? confused

i think since the heavy, well extremely heavy mix of oil went through the system it would be worth at least doing a full re-build but just new seals and bearings and then if you decide to fit 80cc set up in then go ahead whilst tis stripped...

Your forgetting the Motorhispania Furia!

I have one and it really moves off road, great bike. showa forks really make the difference