PDA

View Full Version : Taking Delivery Tomorrow!!!

Jack
07-12-2002, 03:45 PM
I take delivery of my silver Caponord tomorrow. I feel like a kid the night before Christmas... :) ... I look forward to posting my first impressions - and am glad for the site that we can do this.

Jack

micah apriliaforum com
07-13-2002, 09:56 AM
Let us know...as soon as you put a few miles on her of course, we look forward to hearing from you.

Jack
07-13-2002, 08:36 PM
I picked up my new Capo today! I hadn't been on a bike in more than two years - and it was a 95 degree day - so I was a little bit apprehensive. I felt immediately comfortable on the bike, which I sort of expected from other comments on the forum, but was grateful nonetheless.

I took it out of the city as quickly as I could, to get some two-lane-country-road time in. As I was wearing leather jacket and helmet, I needed to keep the air moving... :) Sixty miles later, and nursing a powerful thirst, I pulled into my driveway. Storm clouds were brewing, and we had rain the rest of the day. I wasn't ready to subject my brand new bike to the weather just yet - and especially not with new tires and brakes. Spent the rest of the day in the manual and looking over the new ride.

Some quick observations: The EFI/computer are working flawlessly on my bike. No idle problems, no start off problems, no glitches of any kind. The transmission and clutch were very smooth and confidence inspiring. The bike is quite responsive, even abiding by the 5000 rpm run in limit - I took it as a promise of things yet to be discovered further up in the power band. The front brakes are quite powerful. The rear is not - this is not a bad thing, in my opinion. The only time I have been down on the street was as a result of inadvertently locking a rear brake in a panic stop. I am interested in seeing how this develops as the brakes bed in. There is noticeable vibration, which is worst at 5000 rpm/85 mph. It is not as bad as the four cylinder buzz I encountered on a Yamaha FJ1200 - the 2-cylinder-V vibration is much more pleasant. Can I expect this to diminish as the motor runs in?

A question on suspension setup: As delivered, rear preload was set at about 7 clicks from full soft, as was the rebound damping. The manual recommends 17 clicks for solo riding, which is what I will be doing. Right now, I am not even carrying the bags. Any suggestions? I will test these recommended settings tomorrow.

Jack

Jack
07-14-2002, 08:00 PM
I did another two hundred miles today! Local showers again, but rode through them. Weather protection is decent.. :) ...

There is noticeably less engine vibration as the bike runs in - or perhaps I am less sensitive to it. The brakes are less grabby as they begin to bed in. I am not sure if I have a problem with the rear brake. It is noticeably weaker than the fronts, and I doubt that I could lock the rear wheel with it - even intentionally. As I mentioned earlier, I don't consider this a bad thing. However, if the brake is not functioning correctly, I want to have it checked.

My first tank of gas netted out at 38.4 mpg. I fueled with the last segment showing on the guage, and took 4.9 gallons. I would guess, then that the fuel warning light comes on as this last guage segment disappears...? I am happy with this mileage, as I can see the potential for 40+ in the touring mode. One of the ride reports that I had read suggested that the Capo was too thirsty - so I was a little bit concerned about that.

The suspension settings recommended in the manual seem to be working well for me, though the roads that I have been riding are not that challenging to the bike. Florida is not renown for its riding roads - a lot of straights here... :(

I am a happy owner!

Jack
Silver Capo
Pensacola, FL

micah apriliaforum com
07-15-2002, 09:01 AM
Well your fuel mileage is exactly the same as my Mille...pretty good eh! Glad to hear the capo is working for you. You will notice a signifigant increase in power as the motor breaks in and the vibrations will also be reduced by a small degree.