PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjust - Necessary?

Jack
07-31-2002, 10:24 PM
I just had the 600 mile service performed. My dealer discouraged me from having the valves checked, so I did not insist on it. How important is this check? My dealer says that he has never found an Aprilia with valves out of spec.

Jack
Pensacola, FL
Silver 2002

ed apriliaforum com
08-01-2002, 09:53 AM
They should have at least checked them. Aprilia requires at least a check. Checking them is easy, adjusting them gets more difficult and time-consuming.

True, 98% of the rotax 1000cc bikes do not need adjusting, you are looking for that 2% that does need adjusting. A valve too tight can cause very serious engine damage.

I have seen a total of five 1000cc aprilia bikes that needed a valve adjust at 600 miles. Some of these valves were extrememly tight, and absolutely needed to be changed. They could not have waited until the next valve check at 10K miles.

talk to your dealer again, and make sure you are covered under warrenty if anything goes wrong.....if it were my bike, I'd have them checked, just to be safe. Even on the Capo, checking them should be under or around 90 minutes labor

Jack
08-01-2002, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Ed. I will have them check the valves. I should have insisted at the time.

Jack