PDA

View Full Version : stock cylinder/piston limitations...

apriliamandan
05-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Hiya
Was wondering what the limitations are of the stock top end
Whats the most that is possible to get out of them? what kinda things are done to improve performance of am6 engine without buying big bore kits?
The reason i ask it that the pistons for the stock top end are so cheap...15 for a genuin piston.
What kinda things could be done to it then?

21mm carb, reeds, jets, ect ect

Also are boost bottles worth looking into??

cheers

chrism15
05-27-2012, 01:36 PM
something that might be worth looking into is "modifying" the stock cylinder transfer ports? dont just jump in there and do it coz i havnt done this myself but camb00 mentioned it somewhere where u make the transfer ports bigger ect

boost bottles apperently make very little differece but THEY DO LOOK COOL. if your gonna get one get a variable one - you need to drill a small hole into the inlet manifold and thread it, screw in the adaptor and run a hose from that into the boost bottle :burnout:

http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Doppler_scooter_variable_air_chamber_boost_bottle_ anodised_blue-1690.aspx

maybe stick a polini air filter sheet in there to replace stock filter would be a nice touch along with patricks airbox mod (STICK WITH STOCK AIRBOX :) )

http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Polini_air_filter_sheet_A3_size_–_Universal_to_cut-3185.aspx

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?220721-Post-your-air-box-mod&highlight=air+box+mod

make sure you have a good exhaust

giannelli/ Arrow/ Leo vince/ jolly moto

although jolly moto is more of a race exhaust....

keep doing plug chops making sure your running the right jet

apriliamandan
05-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Will take a lil look at the links mare :) Keep getting mixed views on the bost bottles....i run them in nitro engines and havnt noticed anything...

chrism15
05-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Will take a lil look at the links mare :) Keep getting mixed views on the bost bottles....i run them in nitro engines and havnt noticed anything...

id have one just for the looks (boost bottle) maybe you could get one and report back to give everyone a solid review :) but ask camb00 about modifying the stock cylinder coz he mentioned it somewhere - i think it involves making the transfer ports bigger

apriliamandan
05-27-2012, 03:48 PM
yeah porting of the cylinder...not sure if i'd want to do that though as its very hit or miss.
Would a 21mm dellorto carb improve throttle responce? Are these ramair dual stage foam filters any good from pedstop? I see alot of other 2 stokers with these on along with 21mm carbs....been doing alot of browsing lol
Boost bottles do look sick but if it does nothing then it will just add weight and tbh i couldnt give a shit about looks of the bike as long as its reliable, performs well and fun! Looks are a bonus imo

I think its more a game of weight saving to get the most outa them...so strip as much as possible!?!...and a stricked diet ;)
Thinking of a light weight mono rear, taking off the rear hangers and a custom exhaust bracket....sound good?

camb00
05-27-2012, 06:40 PM
What chris is on about is port matching. Only needed with Good cillinders

Get you cillinder tuned not sure if there are alot of companies who do it in the uk but here in holland it pretty big business

21mm Carb will improve throttle response but not if your running stock cillinder and exhaust

hmm weight saving isnt everything the bike is very light allready

Glen1990
05-28-2012, 02:49 AM
if i was you and you didnt want a big bore 70cc etc. ill buy a tuned 50cc kit ive seen some quite alot of brands make them and they have the porting and stuff already done. ive noticed you have the street arrow exhaust too i think? looks like that in photo anyways but ive heard of people with just 50cc's getting a good 70mph

chrism15
05-28-2012, 05:15 AM
polini do a good 50 kit, adrenalin pedstop ;)

heres what id do:
polini evo 50cc top end
arrow exhaust
polini dual filter sheet for stock box
patricks airbox mod
top performance cdi - if your that bothered

the polini dual filter sheets are pretty good, changes the sound slightly and a improvement over stock one

RS_Patrick
05-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Stick an Aluminium 50 on there, race crank, fast 50cc pipe, stiffer clutch spings, 1 tooth bigger front sprocket, 19mm carb, "sports" CDI unit.

Your bike has a cast iron cilinder so tuning it would be a waste of time, but the stock aluminium Gilardoni kits (from the 1999/2002 bikes) are easy to tune up.

apriliamandan
05-28-2012, 02:39 PM
will bare it all in mind guys! thanks. Just trying to decide wether i modd this or save towards a RS125 or a mito 125....but then again i got 2 years untill im 17 lol
I think if i was going to tune it i would go balls out and just get a 80cc or simular and a 21mm carb!
Are these pod filters no good...not even the quality ramair filters?

RS_Patrick
05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Stock Airbox is way better for street use...

chrism15
05-28-2012, 04:22 PM
:plus: for stock air box

if you wanna know why them pod/cone/foam/open filters are rubbish then do a search or look in EJD"s thread on making the RS louder ect coz its been said allllll over the place

if you wanna make the stock box a lil better then the only two things i can think of is do patricks air box mod and stick a polini dual sheet filter in there

apriliamandan
05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
yeah i see the reasons lol even rs50 racers use stock boxes!

RS_Patrick
05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
yeah i see the reasons lol even rs50 racers use stock boxes!

Or Go-Kart airboxes

chrism15
05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Or Go-Kart airboxes

do they have a advantage over the stock box or just a alternative if you dont have the stock box?

RS_Patrick
05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Lets trough more air with out the disadvantages of an open foamfilter.

apriliamandan
06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
But i would like a more throaty intake noise. The bike isnt going to be a daily commute, just a nice day thrash.
Ive got an arrow system. Shame nobody knows about the 16mm dellorto carb i have, its got 120 jet which seem huge but is the correct size as it revs out crisply.
Would like a nice ram air dual stage filter

chrism15
06-17-2012, 10:26 AM
just mod the stock airbox and put a polini filter sheet in there, get more power out of stock box anyway and you will still have the deeper sound

you must of already read why not to buy open/cone/foam/pod filters as it is everywhere on here

apriliamandan
06-17-2012, 11:25 AM
just mod the stock airbox and put a polini filter sheet in there, get more power out of stock box anyway and you will still have the deeper sound

you must of already read why not to buy open/cone/foam/pod filters as it is everywhere on here

I havent read anything on them mate tbh, but i realise the downsides of them! However, ive been brought up with bikes with pod filters making throaty sounds! :D
Ram air open filters seem to be good http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p-RamAir_scooter_race_pod_filter_43mm_union_with_sho rt_body-4348.aspx

I would also like some new reed valves for my bike. As yo umay remember its stock apart from derestricted arrow system. What reeds would u reccomend of adrenaline pedstop? thanks

Glen1990
06-17-2012, 11:26 AM
i really dont like the sound of my k&n

apriliamandan
06-17-2012, 11:41 AM
i really dont like the sound of my k&n

Open pod filters sound great, try a ram air

RS_Patrick
06-17-2012, 12:04 PM
go-Kart filters sound way nicer, deeper sound, not as sharp/high pitched, and makes the bike sound like theres a much bigger engine under there.

or you can do my airbox mod, wich sounds even better, and is less noisy wen your driving around "normaly"so you dont attract the cops by the side of the road straight away.

Glen1990
06-17-2012, 12:15 PM
mines a really really deep sound its a loud deep too im not a fan tho :( stock air box soon anyways

chrism15
06-17-2012, 12:28 PM
open/pod/foam/cone air filters let in more air than is needed so you have to upjet to near 100 in dellorto jet sizes to match the amount of air and theres no major performance gain from them.

for road use espically they are crap, in heavy rain they can draw in moisture and worst come to worst in cud make its way through the carb and end up in the crankcases and ruin your crank bearings ect leaving you needing a bottom end re-build but the engine probly wud die before it got to that - and if the foam filters get wet they can starve your engine of air making you break down

just mod the airbox using patricks airbox mod and put a polini air filter sheet for stock box in, you will here a slightly deeper sound from this polini sheet

http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/p/Polini_air_filter_sheet_A3_size_–_Universal_to_cut-3185.aspx

]

Holfy
06-17-2012, 12:32 PM
open/pod/foam/cone air filters let in more air than is needed so you have to upjet to near 100 in dellorto jet sizes to match the amount of air and theres no major performance gain from them.

for road use espically they are crap, in heavy rain they can draw in moisture and worst come to worst in cud make its way through the carb and end up in the crankcases and ruin your crank bearings ect leaving you needing a bottom end re-build but the engine probly wud die before it got to that - and if the foam filters get wet they can starve your engine of air making you break down

just mod the airbox using patricks airbox mod and put a polini air filter sheet for stock box in, you will here a slightly deeper sound from this polini sheet

what is this airbox mod is there a thread on it anywhere ???

RS_Patrick
06-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Airfilter doesnt make much difrence, i had the Polini my self, also had a Malossi (precut) wich i liked much better, and now i got a cheap black filter element in there wich looks exactly like the Red Malossi filter in structure and seems to perform the same.

chrism15
06-17-2012, 12:35 PM
what is this airbox mod is there a thread on it anywhere ???

yerr there was a thread on it but last time i looked i couldnt find it! :( il look again now and if i find it il edit this reply :)

patricks mod is somewhere in this thread:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?244128-2001-RS-50-Mods&highlight=airbox+mod

but there was another thread purely on rs 50 airbox mods, one

GOT IT ;)

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?220721-Post-your-air-box-mod&highlight=air+box+mod

Holfy
06-17-2012, 12:37 PM
ok yes please would be nice to have a read up on it do you not think you would get better air flow if you cut the standard inlet rubber so it is straight instead of it bending up in the airbox

chrism15
06-17-2012, 12:44 PM
"reply edited"

apriliamandan
06-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Ill take time reading the stock box modding. BTW im running a 120 jet size anyway lol its stock for the 16mm dellorto

chrism15
06-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Ill take time reading the stock box modding. BTW im running a 120 jet size anyway lol its stock for the 16mm dellorto

120, with stock box?

bit rich that mate, with a pod/open/cone/foam air filters you need to jet to near 100

id mod the airbox like patrick did and stick a polini filter sheet in there and then re-jet with a fresh spark plug get it running spot on

apriliamandan
06-17-2012, 03:36 PM
120, with stock box?

bit rich that mate, with a pod/open/cone/foam air filters you need to jet to near 100

id mod the airbox like patrick did and stick a polini filter sheet in there and then re-jet with a fresh spark plug get it running spot on

120 is stock i reccon for the 16mm dellorto. Its runs perfect mate, my dad has ridden it loads (private roads ofc)

chrism15
06-17-2012, 03:58 PM
yerr, im thinking about the shitty sha :p: youv got the decent carb

apriliamandan
06-17-2012, 04:08 PM
yerr, im thinking about the shitty sha :p: youv got the decent carb

lol trouble is nobody knows about the dellorto 16mm carb. Anyways, i have a new question.
What reeds would yo ureccomend i get for my stock apart from arrow system rs50???
want maximum power. WHat thickness etc.

COuld yo ulink me some? thankyou

chrism15
06-17-2012, 04:56 PM
so stock derestricted with a race exhaust and slightly bigger carb......
id say 0.30mm and get PRE-CUTS! :)

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/01052712430C0/0-4019-968-1682-499-2034-2403-373/303/Serie_Lamel.F.Carb._Sp.0,30-0,35-0,40_Val.Or.html

im not very good with the easyparts websites so double check on if it fits your model ect and id go for 0.30mm

apriliamandan
06-18-2012, 10:22 AM
wicked, cheers mate! Would i see a performance difference with race carbon reeds? The bike has done 15,000 miles (25,000km) so they are due a change, right?

chrism15
06-18-2012, 11:25 AM
changing the reeds is a must to keep it running right, reeds can last not very long or last really long its all down to have the right sizes nd how you ride the bike like at high rpms ect

there might be small increase in power but no big difference

apriliamandan
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
changing the reeds is a must to keep it running right, reeds can last not very long or last really long its all down to have the right sizes nd how you ride the bike like at high rpms ect

there might be small increase in power but no big difference

Okay cool. Ill make sure i take them out have inspect and change before its on the road (another 10 months. fml) thanks mate