PDA

View Full Version : Safe coolant temperature reading?

yumanord
09-15-2002, 06:02 PM
Just purchased my Caponord 2 weeks ago-- so far very good. Have about 900 miles on it. Last night was riding in town (30-45 MPH) stopped at a friends to show off bike and when we left the water temp gage read 208. I got up to speed and tried to keep it up and temp when down to 179. This being my first H2O cooled bike is this normal? Air temp was 106 at 8:00 PM. It didn't sound like the fan went on. At what temp does the fan go on?

Didn't notice any problems riding it home from Tucson air temp was 116 and water temp stayed below 180.

Otherwise bike is getting smoother by the mile. Can't wait for Oct- May and 70-80 degree weather!

BikerGeek
09-15-2002, 07:53 PM
Not to worry. Your temp reading was quite normal. The v-twin really cooks at slow speeds or at a stop. On the Falco, the fan kicks in at about 203F. Not sure on the CapoNord. I believe the Aprilia engine is safe until about 240-245F.

My Triumph triple cooks at 213-215F at idle at a stoplight.

Ride safe.

Jack
09-15-2002, 10:14 PM
Congrats on the Capo! Yes the temp is normal - especially for the Arizona desert... :) ... Your temps are no higher than I have seen here in Florida, at no where near the same OAT. As you already noticed, temps come right back down once you get the bike moving. The fan is not very loud - I can not hear mine very well with my helmet on. However, you can feel the hot air coming out of the right side fairing vent when it is on. Bike cooling systems do not regulate temperatures within as close a range as we are used to seeing on cars. My last bike, a Kawasaki Voyager, had a pretty wide operating spread also.

Jack
Silver Capo 02
Pensacola, FL

micah apriliaforum com
09-16-2002, 02:25 PM
You can always go with a lower temp thermostat if you want it to run cooler. We have a 65 degree unit for the Mille that will also work on your ride. My Mille normally runs at about 154 degrees cruising and goes as high as 190 in traffic.