PDA

View Full Version : Track Day tire poll

jmardy
04-23-2012, 12:46 AM
I've been researching and searching and reading...
Seems like a lot of differing opinions on trackday tires.
What's the current consensus?

These would be track-only tires.

I ride at Sears Point (Infineon) and Thunderhill - so far...

Cirrus
04-23-2012, 02:06 AM
Metzeler Racetech Interacts seem V popular but you haven't got on your list.

Exdukenut
04-23-2012, 02:59 AM
Slicks on a spare set of wheels personally. :) Cheaper, better grip, and you don't shag a set of road tyres on one of the sides depending on which way the corners are stacked at a particular track. But that's just me. :)

:cool:

Cajun
04-23-2012, 04:51 AM
i run conti race attacks on our rsv1000 on track. (second hand race tires from one the local 600 superport guys i know), used them road tires also.

alot of really depends if they are going to be track use only, or road/track use.

and what sorta level you are, if

strange you got some old tires in there(powers) with road tyres(Rosso,Pure) and some more road racing/track tires(003, )

i have run 014,015,016, powers, power 2ct,power race, conti race attacks, supercorsas, all on roads & tracks. And they all deal with most begining to medium levels, at track. alot of its in your head. Pick your favourite brand, and your favourite looking tread pattern.

You are far better putting time/effort/money in getting suspension right

hank
04-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Tire choice is heavily dependent on riding level - no need to buy slicks or a highly race-oriented DOT tire if you aren't working the tire enough to generate or maintain proper operating temperature... You'll be wasting money and getting a sub-performing result.

Best to talk with the tire vendor at the track or if asking here, provide as much info about your riding level as possible.

jmardy
04-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys.
Forgot about the Conti's and Metzelers... Kind of the purpose of my poll.. :p

Re: level, I've done 5 track days in the last 6 months but have been on an SV650 race bike with Pirelli Superbike slicks.
I'm looking to take my RSV to the track for the first time in the next month or two. I'm in B group.

The tire list is basically what I've found online and seen other guys run.

I don't get the "far better putting time/effort/money in getting suspension right" comment but I've had my suspension professionally setup.

Boostedrex
04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Judging from where you live I'm assuming you had Dave Moss sort out your suspension? If so, then it is for sure good to go. :) I personally run Dunlop Q2's on my RSVR on the street and track. Even during the really hot mid summer track days I haven't had any issues with them. I'm getting a hold of some Dunlop Spec tires from a friend of mine who runs in AMA Daytona Sportbike and I'm going to give those a try this season to see what I think. Hope to have more info after the May 19-20 weekend at Reno-Fernley Raceway. It's a Precision Trackdays event if you would like to come up. There will be 3-4 other Apes there that weekend.

Cheers,

Zach

wrx_02
04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
You have to have the suspension dialed in no matter what tire you ride on.

Point is you won't realize the difference in tires until you reach the point that you are out riding that tires performance.
I know guys that race on Q2's and I know guys that run slicks and tire warmers.

I do not want to come off as mean but after 5 track days Q2's may be a good tire for you to ride on. I have only done a hand full if days myself and the Q2's have been fine. I have friends that ride faster on slower bikes than myself with the Q2's.

Point is you can ride whatever you want but it does no good unless you can use it's full potential.

vecio
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
As some of the others have stated, I think it's a good idea to let your level determine your tire choice. I used the bridgestone 002's then 003 *RS* (racing/street, i believe that stands for?) all the way up until I was running close to mid pack in the Advanced group. I never really had any issues with them before that point, and even then, they never surprised me. I've switched to the race version since then but I still think the 003RS is a fantastic tire for trackdays. They're inexpensive, durable, and the best part... no need for tire warmers! Because tire warmers are just a PITA.

shelbyguy
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
i have ran 2 different dunlops.

1st set were ntecs and they were fantastic, 21f 18r seemed to work great with or without warmers

2nd set were q2's had no issues with them at all, ran 28f 26r

Tdawg
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Tire choice is heavily dependent on riding level - no need to buy slicks or a highly race-oriented DOT tire if you aren't working the tire enough to generate or maintain proper operating temperature...

+1
Ran Metzler Z6 interact S/T tires for rainy track days and Q2's for dry. For sure get the suspenders setup, preferable after tire choice as some are tall and pointy while others are progressively curved.

Only dilema now is 180 vs 190. You really have to throw the 190's in the tight corners, great in the big sweepers, where as the 180s are nice in the tight stuff. Would be interesting to try a 5.5" rear wheel.

vfracer-r
04-24-2012, 08:57 AM
The R10 Bridgestone (the successor to the 003Pro) is an incredible tire. Longevity, edge grip, and feel are incredible. I could not tell the difference between them and the Dunlop NTEC UK tires, and the Bridgestones are $200 cheaper!

I ran the 120/ 190 R10 last weekend and absolutely loved them!

FWIW, Pirelli owns Metzler (or vice versa, can't remember). Metzlers are more geared toward the streets or track day tires whereas the Pirelli focus is more on the track.

ffkevinking
04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
The new pirelli super corsa v2 is supposed to be a fantastic tire. It's also supposed to come in a 180/60 size which I'll be all over since my 08 tuono has a 5.5 rear. Im running the 190/55 perelli sc v1 right now and love it. I've raced Bridgestone but didn't like the feel when they went from the 002 to the 003 race compound. So I switched back to mich.

Kev

ffkevinking
04-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Ps the pirelli super corsa v2 should be out in may.
Oh and Pirelli uses hot temps for pressures so watch for that.
Kev

shadowblaster
04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Just finished a track day on a set of scrubbed Rosso Corsa's removed from my road bike. I have the 190 rear and I must say, I was very impressed. the day started off a little damp and track temp was cold, with most of us running near road pressures. No tyre warmers used and the tyres felt good by the start of lap two on a small circuit (1.2 m) I was finding myself more and more confident as the day went on. I am by no means a racer and took most of the day dialling in my suspension. But on the last session there was a light drizzle half way into it, most bikes slowed up, by I had so much feel on the front that I was still doing the same lap times, the Corsa really made me look a better rider than I really am. There is enough for one more track day as they seem to have worn really well right up to the edge. Just one scuff where I gave it a little too much too early on the last lap coming out of a long right, but still even when it started to step out, she was very controllable.

Rugbydawg13
04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Dunlop D211GPA

Rocks
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
agreed with rugby but since I get takes off from a local ccs guy that runs power ones for 10 laps then sell them to me for less then the price of a new front. Thats what i go with. Ive run them for almost 2 years and have no issues. V front B rear is the compound I use for Jennings, Fl. The only issue with slicks is if it rains then you have to change, them or not run in the wet. Unless you like adventure.

Ive heard the front on the pures are can get vague at faster paces but its not something I have first hand experience with. Q2 have been favs of dual use riders. I have a spare set of rims so I keep my DOT race tires off the street.

in the end it all depends on how you use them. If your on budget and have to use the tires for both street and track I would say go with the Q2s. If not go with a DOT Race tire (they dont sell race compounds at cycle gear lol)

dragonfire
05-02-2012, 01:52 AM
I've been researching and searching and reading...
Seems like a lot of differing opinions on trackday tires.
What's the current consensus?

These would be track-only tires.

I ride at Sears Point (Infineon) and Thunderhill - so far...

you coming to T-hill may 7th with Keigwins? I'm in.

dragonfire
05-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Boy we sure do love to talk about our tires. Dont we? I started tracking my rsv with Pirellis. I could not stop them from cold tearing. Dave Moss and I worked on it for a long time and I threw away a shitload of money. Went to Dunlop N-tec slicks (stiffer carcass) and no more issues at all.

dude, you used to race and you are asking what tire to use? Dont mean to be a dick but you have been around the track and should know what kind of tires racers are using. Just saying. Regardless, I suggest using what we can get locally. contact Viets for B-Stones. They are at all Keigwins events. Not sure what tire vendor PTT is using this year now that Michael sold it. I might try the slicks or R10's from Viets when my Dunlops get greasy. Or if you want Pirelli then contact Chris Maguire of CT Racing on BARF. If you want Dunlops then its RTS and mail order. No more local support for AMA spec, US made or UK made Dunlops in our area that I've seen. Q2's are most likely everywhere. What were your laptimes at T-hill on the SV? I personall would not run Q2's as they wont last more than one or two days on such a heavy bike that loads the tires so hard. But thats just me. they work better on lighter 600cc machines. Ask Gary J the local fast guy. He did a review on Q2's in the BARF trackday section. I've seen you on BARF. Same pic in your avatar.

jmardy
05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
dude, you used to race and you are asking what tire to use? Dont mean to be a dick but you have been around the track and should know what kind of tires racers are using. Just saying.
Thanks for the info. I've never raced. I've done a total of 6 track days in my life starting last November.
Been riding for a year and a half solid after a 20 year absence.

Appreciate the comments here. Thanks all.

dragonfire
05-03-2012, 02:24 AM
I thought i read you had raced an SV650. Guess you meant you rode it at trackdays. My wrong.