PDA

View Full Version : Australia

Fox
04-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Ok, I keep starting the Aussie thread and it keeps disappearing ... anyhow .. take 3!

Ohmygewd
04-21-2004, 07:38 AM
Hey Foxy!!!! Thanks for the chip, the guys at FIM remapped to suit my bike and the thing responds better now compared to the Aprilia Ti chip.

Oh...from Essendon, Melbourne Victoria (that land of the long, great speed camera's)
:fangs:

Fox
04-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Ah thanks for the info mate :)
Let me know if you're interested in the Tigcraft pipe and chip I have now ;)

OZSLR
04-26-2004, 10:09 PM
If you're the same Fox, I rode with you a bit over a year ago up the old road an a cold wet morning. I'd recently sold the 01 Falco for a Triumph Sprint ST, and then not long after moved to Vic. Well a month ago, that all changed and theres an SL1000R in the garage down here, and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Missed it almost from the day it went.

I'll keep an eye on the thread, also like to hook up with any others down here

Cheers,

Fox
04-27-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by OZSLR
If you're the same Fox, I rode with you a bit over a year ago up the old road an a cold wet morning. I'd recently sold the 01 Falco for a Triumph Sprint ST, and then not long after moved to Vic. Well a month ago, that all changed and theres an SL1000R in the garage down here, and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Missed it almost from the day it went.

I'll keep an eye on the thread, also like to hook up with any others down here

Cheers,

G'day mate! :)

Yes I think we were supposed to link up with Leigh and some other riders but being the pussies they are they wimped out and only we turned up.

I like the SLR a lot and it seems to get good raves. There is an article on it in the current AMCN.

Melbourne is a great place for bikes too, the roads are so much better than NSW and you can park on the footpath! :)

AdamT
04-27-2004, 02:55 AM
To ALL the Melbourne Aprilia owners out there ... we run Club Aprilia group rides once a month ... the next one being this Sunday down to the Great Ocean Road. All of the details for this months ride, and ride reports/photos from previous rides are available on the Club website: www.aprilia.com.au/club

Would be great to see some new faces to join us regulars!

cheers

Adam

mike71
04-27-2004, 06:30 AM
woohoo, and hi :-)

there's at least 5 of us down adelaide

blowout
04-27-2004, 06:44 AM
hey guys, just been reading about the oil tank problems. Have any of u guys had this happen to you - I spoke to one guy I know that's got one and he hadn't heard of it .

Z o l t a K
04-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Just to sign my name that I was here ;)

mike71
04-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by blowout
hey guys, just been reading about the oil tank problems. Have any of u guys had this happen to you - I spoke to one guy I know that's got one and he hadn't heard of it .

My factory is fine, heck the rear brake still works!!!

...hmmm maybe cos I don't use it, I haven't run off onto the dirt yet.....

OZSLR
04-27-2004, 07:43 PM
That's the day Fox, then my riding buddy lost his 1 week old Triumph RS (which was RS) through a patch of diesel on a wet left hander after Mt White, poor bugger.

I must say, Vic does have a feast of good riding roads down here. I leave my home and in minutes I am in the Dandenong ranges, deciding whether to go Marysville via Healesville, Warburton and Reefton (then back to Marysville and Healesville), Kinglake Yarra Valley, Yea, Mansfield, Whitfield, or maybe just down to Mirboo Nth Brewery via Warragul-Korumburra rd, or perhaps Noojee Pub, then Willowgrove Road. The run up to Licola is wonderful for a stay at the "cheap" lodge for an overnighter !

Saying that, I do miss my favourite loop on a Spring day, down to Berowra across the ferry, up the old road and round to Spencer for Breakfast, double back and Wollombi for lunch and a beer, then putty to Colo servo for a coffee and home.

So many roads, so many days I have to work instead !

Fox
04-28-2004, 02:52 AM
Yes, that is a good loop. Altough they are talking about putting timed speed cameras on the old road now ... but there are bugger-all police on that Wollombi run ... sorry to hear about your Triumph buddy - I assume he was ok?

Fox
04-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by AdamT
To ALL the Melbourne Aprilia owners out there ... we run Club Aprilia group rides once a month ... the next one being this Sunday down to the Great Ocean Road. All of the details for this months ride, and ride reports/photos from previous rides are available on the Club website: www.aprilia.com.au/club

Would be great to see some new faces to join us regulars!

cheers

Adam

Is this the one Adam? I was gonna order a black erre too .. but lost the plot ..

Ohmygewd
04-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Fox
Ah thanks for the info mate :)
Let me know if you're interested in the Tigcraft pipe and chip I have now ;)
Don't tell me you are conforming to the NSW EPA rule???

AdamT
04-28-2004, 05:28 PM
that's the one! That pick was taken from our first ever Aprilia group ride in Melbourne earlier this year. The bikes were parked in Yea during our morning break. Yea is about 90 minutes North East of Melbourne.

Fox
04-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Ohmygewd
Don't tell me you are conforming to the NSW EPA rule???

LOL! Never! I want to get dual pipes now ... I really like those BEF pipes (left in pic below). I'm trying to get them to make them for Milles (o4 only right now).

DazRSV
04-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Signing in.. met your bro on the Busa a couple of weeks ago Fox with EXD and Johnny on a 04 factory with Tigs up Mt White.
Wow those tigs sound awesome , if your selling your slipon Im keen :)
There was a lunatic on GSXR doing a stunt show at the front of the cafe, it was my first time up there and was quite amazed at the number of bikes at 7-30 in the morning.

OZSLR
04-29-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm probably going to put a few peoples noses out of place with this comment, but I was always somewhat puzzled at the attraction of Mt White and the Old road (with it's 70/80K heavily policed zones) as a supposed place for riders to go to ride. I always saw it as a place to go to be seen, and much prefered the 100K zones of the sparsely policed and scenic Putty Rd to Milbrodale Rd and round to Wollombi. To get to any speed at all, to make the old road interesting and challenging, meant you were at risk of both getting your licence suspended and putting a holt to the very reason you were up there. To ride !

I usually stopped there mid afternoon on the way back from a 3-400K day ride, where you would meet up with similar riders. Maybe I missed something by not being there at 7.30am ???

FORZA
04-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Very early in the morning or real late afternoon is ok for a quick thrash up there but otherwise you take your licence into your own hands.

You are correct about the pose factor nowdays at Mt. White though. That is also why the cops are hitting it hard these days.

There are some real nice back roads from around Silverdale down to Mittagong via Thirlmere that dont see a lot of traffic or attention by the cops, very much worth checking out and a stop off for lunch at Picton for lunch is always good.

Dave.

DazRSV
04-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Forza do you stop at the Pie shop at Robertson a must stop for any pie enthusiast, and the local brew at the pub in Picton is very tasty.
I really enjoy the back way through to Jamberroo recreational park where you control the action.......

Ozslr I thought the road in wasnt to bad but like you said the cop factor was playing on my mind the entire ride esp after EXD run in with his pipes and the police.
I visited the NSWMCC site and read a few articles on the pipe isssue a good read and a interesting photo to of how many bikes they pinged in a days work

FORZA
04-29-2004, 07:57 PM
My expanding waistline does not permit such luxuries as the pie shop any more, but the road up is really good as well.
National Park run for breakky in wollongong then up through Robinson and Kangaroo valley to come back through the Silverdale route I mentioned before will give anyone a good workout for a days ride. My old bevel SS copped quite a few hidings along there in the past.

Dave.

OZSLR
04-29-2004, 08:02 PM
My folks lived in Thirlmere for 15 years before heading to Tamworth so I spent a bit of time down that way when visiting (used to live in Sydney). The "Robertson Pie shop" !!!! Don't mention places like that when it's an hour to lunch :-). Anyone in Melbourne who rides the Dandenongs, should know about Pie in the Sky at Olinda !

A thought !!!?? Has anyone proposed an annual Aprilia owners weekend away (or extended weekend). I have been to Triumph RAT annual events for a few years, and they work well. Most recently Tassie, with Bathurst and Tamworth the preceding years.

I'd be happy to offer time and resources to assist in organising/administering.

FORZA
04-29-2004, 08:24 PM
I think that things like that would be very good. Perhaps you guys can lobby the dealers and JSG to do something.

Dave.

DazRSV
04-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Great idea, I think Leigh has a contact though JSG, I ve wandered down to darling harbour when Ducati had theres and it looked awesome and sounded awesome to when they left , got to love the big rigs they had set up for hoop changing and tinkering.

Fox
04-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by DazRSV
Signing in.. met your bro on the Busa a couple of weeks ago Fox with EXD and Johnny on a 04 factory with Tigs up Mt White.
Wow those tigs sound awesome , if your selling your slipon Im keen :)
There was a lunatic on GSXR doing a stunt show at the front of the cafe, it was my first time up there and was quite amazed at the number of bikes at 7-30 in the morning.

Ah the elusive brother. I haven't seen him for a while. So he's hanging out with Aprilias these days eh :D

Mt White is the best there is if you're time stressed. National park south is good if you're early enough.

But if you have the time then Putty Road / Wollombi / Wisemans or variations of is the go.

Trouble is I like to sleep in on weekends!

I'll let you know about the Tig ...

The guy to talk to at Aprilia to organise the Aprilia rides is John Caruso.

jcaruso@jsg.com.au

And Leigh (Exedukenut) has most Sydney riders email addresses. he rides just about every weekend early.

OZSLR
04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was just throwing the idea up, and only being new to the forum (but not new to Aprilias), I don't want to offend those that are already proactive in organising rides and gatherings by sticking my nose in.

I am happy to present this to JSG as a concept and see where it goes. I would first ask that some ideas be presented as far as location and time of year. Obviously, we would aim for the warmer months (late spring/early Autumn), and also have considerations for things like Supers, MotoGP, Snowy Run, Bombala, Etc that many would want to attend. For example, would we want to work in one of these, or prefer to keep the date well away ?

East coast I would think, represents a better option given that is where the numbers would be, but we would not want it to be an adventure for some, but a short hop for others. Accomodation would have to be reasonably priced, but offer a range of options to cater for those that wanted to camp, or to motel it.

The coordinators for the different states current social gatherings would I think, be the best resource, I am happy to get involved at whatever level, if you all think it will fly.

Fox
04-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeah I'd have a chat with AdamT - it seems he is already organising some Melbourne rides ...

These things are notoriously hard to do though. People committ and then don't turn up etc.

Leigh and I have been talking about a trip to Gingers Creek for a while now. Strangely enought there is an article on the SLR and a picture of it a Gingers in the current issue of AMCN.

When I was with the Hayabusa club I organised rides also. We got up to 16 Busas once. What would be good is a location that Vic, NSW and maybe even SA could reach ...

FORZA
04-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Cooma area would be cool (especially in winter) as it has good roads and services, is fairly central to VIC. & NSW riders and not to bad for SA.
If you guys prepare something I will help with a foot in the door with JSA management to see if they are interested. If they are some sort of media will need to be involved some where though.

Keep me posted.

Dave.

OZSLR
04-30-2004, 01:29 AM
I'll be meeting Adam on Sunday on a group ride and will run the idea past him then from a Vic perspective. He seems to have a good group of riders and well organised rides.

If the annual (or large) gathering was to work, and there were reaonable numbers, it would have to work on a centralised processing point and financial commitment, with a cut off date. For example, the accomodation nominated, and attendees would pay directly, and the cut off date would determine the numbers for meal locations etc, which could then be pre booked. Its not so straight forward as you say, and there would be a lot of "gonnacomes" that don't. But I am forever an optimist !

Dave, Cooma is a good option as far as a relatively central point and there are a number of great day ride options from there, but I'm riding to the Oxley over the long weekend and I am not afraid of a decent haul either.

Fox, if you and Leigh have any thoughts as to numbers from NSW and locations let me know, we will get a framework and then Dave's offer of assistance with JSG would be great and I'll see what flies.

Some sort of survey link with a few choices on the Aprilia club website would be a good start to give us an idea of level of interest, and prefered location. Any contacts as to who the moderator is ?

Fox
04-30-2004, 01:49 AM
Good thoughts there .. I'm having a BBQ with Leigh and Nick (Tuono) on Sunday so we will bounce around some ideas then ...

I'm pretty sure that the guy to talk to at Aprilia to organise the Aprilia rides is Jim Caruso. Jim is head of racing but seems to look after the rider side of the website.

jcaruso@jsg.com.au

It's always good to get money way up front. That always tests people's commitment :D

Cooma sounds good to me ... maybe we could tie in a charity also - but I'm pretty sure it would get publicity in the bike mags if we got enough riders involved.

The other thing is .. will it be Aprilia riders only?

OZSLR
04-30-2004, 02:05 AM
My thoughts (and only my thoughts) are that it would be promoted as an "Aprilia" function, but that friends of Aprilia riders are more than welcome, and made welcome (the exposure to all us fun loving Aprilia owners fostering potential future ownership and an incentive for the importers dealers to show an interest). It's always a balance though, the idea primarily in my view, is for Aprilia owners to get together, and that should be the focus of priority.

Charities is a brilliant idea, and again suggestions welcome ! If any members have a charity of significance close to their heart all the better.

I am happy to contact, the relevant people at the relevant mags (TW, AMCN, ARR etc) and Bikepoint for some exposure if/once this is up and running.

Yes cash up front is a good leveler and we don't want anyone in the organisational chain, to be exposed financially.

Enjoy your BBQ, we've got mid teens, rain wind and storms forecast down here for the weekend.......Bugger !

Fox
04-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Ouch! It's loovely up here :)
Don't forget the motogp Sudnay night.

Live timing is on motogp.com right now.

rsv42
05-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Hi guys, just stumbled across this thread and thought i would just introduce myself.

blowout
05-02-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by rsv42
Hi guys, just stumbled across this thread and thought i would just introduce myself.
Welcome, I'm new too so don't know any of the others here. Seems like a pretty good forum though, nothing like being able to talk shit with people that share the same passions.

RS125 nut
05-02-2004, 04:13 AM
so who here is from the sydney area?? im from campbelltown and i want to get in on some aprilia rides if theres any around :peace:

FORZA
05-02-2004, 06:38 PM
As for the press exposure I can probably organise a bike for the press to send some-one along for the weekend and I have a few very good friends in those type of circles, that bit will be easy.
The big hassle will be getting the commitment from riders etc. beforehand and getting the shops to actively support the event with new customers or those that dont look in here.
The Club Aprilia magazine would be a good place to get this idea out to a lot more Aprilia owners, there is a contact in the mag for submitting articles once things can be organised a bit.

Dave.

Fox
05-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by RS125 nut
so who here is from the sydney area?? im from campbelltown and i want to get in on some aprilia rides if theres any around :peace:

We did have another 125 rider in Sydney but have not heard from him in a while. Anyway send me an email or PM Exdeukenut - he has a rider email list for Sydney.

OZSLR
05-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Picking up on the idea of a coordinated annual/bi-annual, group event. I am going to throw out a proposition, purely as a starting point. My thoughts are that the inaugural year be more low key event along the lines of getting the Club Aprilia Groups together using the talents/contacts of AdamT, Fox and Exdukenut. Depending on the response and success we can build from there, and it would not require the involvement of official sponsors and could be coordinated by/through the state groups.

Location: Eden (halfway between the 2 largest populations, with some good roads either side to get there. Mix of accommodation and eateries available.

Timeframe: Oct 2,3,4 (Monday a holiday for NSW and SA only). This is a difficult one to pick, as there is the MotoGP only 2 weeks after, so any suggestions other than this would help.

Schedule:
Saturday: Arrive, meet up, drink, tell stories, exaggerate your ride/speeds up/down to Eden, dinner at Fisherman's club.

Sunday: Group ride, Pacific Hwy to Bega, then Snowy Hwy up Brown Mountain, Monaro to Bombala (lunch), then Mt Imlay Rd, from Rockton back down to the coast to Eden. Drink tell stories, you know the drill.

Monday; Breakfast, set off home.

I am not trying to alienate riders from other states with the location, just need to start somewhere. Another thought I had was Tumut as a base, and the day ride around Lake Hume/ Murray Valley Hwy. That provides some of our best roads to and from the location and the day ride.

Cheers,

AdamT
05-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Great suggestion Trevor.

Eden works (lots of great roads there, and would suggest the Bombala, Cathcart, Wyndom twisties over Brown Mountain - or we could do both!), but I think Tumut would be better. The ride from Tumut to Adaminaby through Kiandra is pretty special. that time of year through there is still a good chance of snow.

Am happy to co-ordinate the Melbourne arm of this if it goes ahead. I know there are a number of guys in the Melbourne group that are keen to do a weekend away.

Adam

Fox
05-05-2004, 08:44 PM
I keep posting in the International Locator Forum instead of the Australia section ... ahhhgggghhh!

Anyhoo. This is what I posted:

"Sydney Ride May 22

Ok Adam is making us Sydney riders look real bad. I'm gonna suggest Saturday May 22 as a ride day.

I'm thinking something easy like meet at Mt White at 9am and then on to Wollombi for lunch.

Anyone interested? If so reply to this post. If I get enoough early interest I'll put it on aprilia.com.au

Feel free to suggest another more appropriate date ..."

Jim at Aprilia has put the message on the Aprilia site so it will be interesting to see what kind of reponse we get.

Trevor you idea sound good and we'll have more feedback on possible riders after May 22 :)

AdamT
05-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Folks,

Changing the topic slightly, but of interest to all the Aussies out there, photos of all the Aprilia's lined up at Eastern Creek and a few action shots of myself have been uploaded on the Club Aprilia website.

http://www.aprilia.com.au/club/20040424.html

Make sure you keep pushing the guys at JSG to make the club bigger and better. The more feedback they get, the more time they will devote to helping us getting more and more passionate Aprilia owners together!

Adam

RS125 nut
05-05-2004, 09:47 PM
i would LOVE to b in on that sydney ride!!

but... that is my birthday and my girl wants to take me out:( :( anyway we'll see what happens, sigh...

OZSLR
05-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Well if she asks what you want for your birthday, you can relpy "I want to go on an Aprilia Club ride" !!

OZSLR
05-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Adam/Fox,

Thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm. I am happy to roll up the sleeves and manage/help manage the weekend. Adam has expressed that a few of the Melbourne guys are keen for a weekend away (me included), so we will start working on that as a foundation and update as things happen. Fox, we look forward to some feedback and numbers after your May ride, and good luck with it !

Cheers,

Fox
05-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Who's going to the gp this year?

I have heard Aprilia will have special tent for club members to hang and watch the races, sorta like Yamaha 'Tribe' etc already have.

Who would be interested int this deal?

In fact who is a member of Club Aprilia?

AdamT
05-05-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm a member, and will be going to the GP, and will be going to the Aprilia tent if they have one as planned.

If only we could get some decent riders on the Cube ... actually, if only we could get a decent version of the Cube!

Adam

Fox
05-05-2004, 11:36 PM
I'm a member, and will be going to the GP, and will be going to the Aprilia tent if they have one as planned.

If only we could get some decent riders on the Cube ... actually, if only we could get a decent version of the Cube!

Adam

I think Shakey is good but as Colin Edwards once about the cube. "It's like riding a bull with it's balls cut off!"

Righ now Aprilia.com is offline ... that can tbe good!

OZSLR
05-06-2004, 02:11 AM
I'm a new Club member and will also be at the GP !!! Will be riding halfway to meet some buddies coming down from NSW on the Thursday and we do an overnighter and then ride in on the Friday, Cranbourne run on the Saturday.

If anyone is interested, let me know. Haven't set a meeting point yet.

Riding a bull with its balls cut off. Now that would be a handful

Fox
05-06-2004, 02:16 AM
We definitely have to get togther .. last year there were quite a few Aprilia riders there but they did not get together. At least this year if there is Club tent it will make things easier ....

I was there and met up with Sean (JokerOz) and some other friends .. but Hozay (from S.A.) always comes back with photos of him in the Pits! I wanna hang with him ;)

blowout
05-06-2004, 02:52 AM
I'll be flying down for an extended weekend (can't get enough time off work to ride). Would really like to catch up with u guys, so if there's a tent, I'll be there. (I think I got a years free membership to club Aprilia when I bought the last bike - at least that's what the salesman told me).

OZSLR
05-06-2004, 04:26 AM
And if there is no Aprilia tent, then lets make one :-) !! Can't be too hard to set a meeting spot and a time, and anyway, after the weekend away together in early October, we'll all have contact details and plans set........right ?!

rsv42
05-06-2004, 07:07 AM
I'm another sydneyite who is heading down for the gp.hopefully aprilia/jsg will organise a marque as i recall reading in one of there newsletters that they were thinking about doing that for Motogp.As for the sydney ride on sat22nd you can put me down as a starter,the only thing is can i bring a mate with a suzuki ?

Fox
05-06-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm another sydneyite who is heading down for the gp.hopefully aprilia/jsg will organise a marque as i recall reading in one of there newsletters that they were thinking about doing that for Motogp.As for the sydney ride on sat22nd you can put me down as a starter,the only thing is can i bring a mate with a suzuki ?

Yeah sure - he just wont be in the photos ;)

Yes you do get 1 year free membership with a new bike and I am sure they said in the newsletter that they were doing the gp tent - it was like $300 for the weekend or something ...

hozay
05-08-2004, 09:13 PM
yeah thats for sure fox i will be there & yep you know where im gonna be - yeah it would be great to all catch up, when she gets closer we will have to plan a meeting spot if Aprilia Aus dont get a tent happening.

blowout
05-09-2004, 03:28 AM
sorry to change subjects for a moment, but can any of u guys give me some advice on pipes for the RSVR? Have any of u got the inserts from milleman? If so, r u happy with them & what did they cost by the time u got them landed over here? I'm pretty confident I could do the job, but is it worth it, or should I stop being a tight arse and get a new set, although after a quick search, I can't find any aftermarket ones in Aust yet & the genuine Ti's are pretty exy. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Fox
05-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Cant help you out there buddy .... what pipes are you running?

blowout
05-10-2004, 02:01 AM
just the stock ones, and now seeing the shit that's in them I can see how changing them would make a difference.

AdamT
05-10-2004, 02:22 AM
Lose the stock pipes!!!!!

Trust me, the stock pipes are super restrictive, it really stops the bike from breathing properly plus they weigh a ton!

After 3000km's I put the Aprilia Racing Titantium slip-ons on, and it totally transformed the bike ... It made a big difference to performance, noise (the bike now has the noise to match the aggressive styling - it now sounds like a twin) and handling beleive it or not ... easily a 4-5kg weight saving over the stock pipes.

blowout
05-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Thought as much, just that I got quoted $3500 for them from my dealer today- that's a lot of cash!

AdamT
05-10-2004, 03:48 AM
That must have been for the full system. I paid $1850 fitted for the genuine Aprilia Racing Titantium pipes. This included fitting, which takes an hours or so as they have to reprogram the ECU.

Not sure if this is a good price, but Dave formally of A1 in Brighton looked after me.

Adam

Fox
05-10-2004, 09:40 AM
That seems like a good price to me Adam. Blowout you may also want to check out the Tigcrafts, they are quite cheap compared to the Euro systems (about $1250-00 I think) but beautifully made ... you will see pix in the 04 section of the site. I have a slipon on mine and it's a beautiful thing. Hozay is a fan too ...

Johnny in Oz
05-10-2004, 07:11 PM
can any of u guys give me some advice on pipes for the RSVR?

Hi guys. Just found this thread. Good idea Fox.

Blowout, I've got the Tigcrafts (60mm "Racing" cans) on my Factory. They are really worth considering. Superbly made and well priced. US$750 delivered within 2 weeks. That was $AUD1000 when I got mine, plus another $150 to our lovable Federal Govt when I picked them up at customs.

I ordered mine with the baffles which I recommend because OTW they really give the bike a presence which is likely to draw the attention of constable plod - as has already happened to me.:(

Just bad luck really. We have really crappy EPA laws in NSW these days and any after-market pipe (without a sticker that quotes 94dBa) automatically cops a $200 fine and possibly a defect notice.

I like the Aprilia Racing Ti ones like Adam has too. I was quoted over $2K+ though, so definitely shop around. Try and have a look/listen comparo before you make a decision if you can. FWIW.

Fox the May 22nd ride is looking a little more likely for me if I can re-shuffle the kids' sporting committments. So keeping fingers crossed.

Cheers

OZSLR
05-10-2004, 07:28 PM
A Brief chat last Saturday, had the idea of a Club Aprilia weekend away at Tumut agreed with likely dates of 2,3,4th October. This will be discussed in more detail at the May 30 ride to Daylesford, and hopefully at the 22nd May Sydney ride. From there, with an indication of initial numbers, I will start to check out accomodation, eateries and days activities and will post further details.

Adam has also made a great suggestion that we coordinate with any Aprilia rider that is down for MotoGP for the Cranbourne run on the Saturday morning. If you've not done it, you don't want to miss it, and imagine the sound :-). Again we can arrange it closer to the event, maybe with a meet for Breakfast, but mark down the 18th October !!

AdamT
05-10-2004, 08:32 PM
How many of the "interstate" Aussies, plan to come down to Melbourne/Phillip Island for the GP in October?

As Trevor mentioned, it would be great if we could get 20-30 Aprilia's together for the MotoGP run from Cranbourne to PI on Saturday the 16th. I will contact JSG and get them to put a place holder in the Events page until we confirm details. Our best bet will be to meet somewhere before Cranbourne, planning on getting to Cranbourne by 9am which will give us plenty of time to walk around and check out all the bikes (and let the masses check out our bikes!). As for breakfast, a number of local schools/clubs put on breakfast in Cranbourne and it would be good to support them.

Ohmygewd
05-10-2004, 08:52 PM
How about meeting up at the Bunnings carpark before the centre of Cranbourne then riding in for a bite at Cranny or further up at the coffee shop at Tooradin?

Ohh...Sydneysiders...once over the border install those loud pipes back on:p:

Fox
05-10-2004, 09:55 PM
I'll be going to the motogp but wont be riding down ... wifey not fond of pillion seat :D

Fox
05-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Johnny in Oz

Fox the May 22nd ride is looking a little more likely for me if I can re-shuffle the kids' sporting committments. So keeping fingers crossed.

Cheers

Oh good - had virtually no repsonse so far. I don't know what response Aprilia.com.au has had yet .... anyway I'll be there, and and maybe Leigh, and maybe you .. what more do you want! ;)

I got the 'can kit' from MCA on Saturday. It's a sticker, you take it to a recommended mechanic who tests the pipe and then makes it quieter to fit the 93db limit. Unfortunately I was in a hurry at the time so got the local engraver to fix it for me instead. I'm sure it's .. er .. close to 92db :)

:D

Johnny in Oz
05-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Fox
I got the 'can kit' from MCA on Saturday. It's a sticker, you take it to a recommended mechanic who tests the pipe and then makes it quieter to fit the 93db limit. Unfortunately I was in a hurry at the time so got the local engraver to fix it for me instead. I'm sure it's .. er .. close to 92db :)

Yeah I got my sticker too. The Tigs are now spot on 94dbA with the baffles.;)

John

Scot p
05-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Guys, another Sydney guy with a F&*K of loud Tuono, thinking I will take the $200 fine for the aftermarket pipe if I get caugt, Im not stick a ristrictor in my Scorpion for no one...

Had the tuono at the EC blade blast last friday, the tuono drew a little attention : ).

Will do my best to make it to the Sydney prilla club ride day, just got my membership,,,number 49, thats a litle low, MY HRC membership is 23877.....

cya
Scot.

Fox
05-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Scot p
Hi Guys, another Sydney guy with a F&*K of loud Tuono, thinking I will take the $200 fine for the aftermarket pipe if I get caugt, Im not stick a ristrictor in my Scorpion for no one...

Had the tuono at the EC blade blast last friday, the tuono drew a little attention : ).

Will do my best to make it to the Sydney prilla club ride day, just got my membership,,,number 49, thats a litle low, MY HRC membership is 23877.....

cya
Scot.
Onya Scot!
I must renew mine it ran out ..

Yeah I got my sticker too. The Tigs are now spot on 94dbA with the baffles.

John

... and strangely the same without the baffle? :D

OZSLR
05-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Fox, What's this about your wife not liking the Mille pillion seat, that's what the "other" bike is for :D

hozay
05-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Yeah a full tigcraft system should cost around 2200 - 2400 landed in Aus

Fox
05-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Fox, What's this about your wife not liking the Mille pillion seat, that's what the "other" bike is for :D

Don't tempt me you bastard! I'm fond enough of the SLR without you giving me an excuse! :D

Johnny in Oz
05-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Fox

... and strangely the same without the baffle? :D

Depends who's asking I 'spose. Though I guess I'd be safe if we were pulled up together. I can see it now "honestly officer, my bike's obviously just 1dbA louder than his. . . if you don't believe me just check the stickers" :D

John

FORZA
05-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Just get Leigh to ride with you on his bevel Ducati, the cops will be asking if your bike is even running next to one of those with a pipe!!!!!!

Dave.

OZSLR
05-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Well I am happy to offer any encouragement as an SLR owner, and you would only be doing it to please your wife right, so what an unselfish gesture that would be ! ;)

Fox
05-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Depends who's asking I 'spose. Though I guess I'd be safe if we were pulled up together. I can see it now "honestly officer, my bike's obviously just 1dbA louder than his. . . if you don't believe me just check the stickers" :D

John

LOL! Too funny! :cheers:

Ohmygewd
05-10-2004, 11:33 PM
LoL, we (Vics) have the compulsory $50 levy on our registrations and you guys (NSW) get 200$ fines and modifications needed to quiet down bikes....who voted the Carr government in? Or are NSW trying to be the California of Australia???

Fox
05-10-2004, 11:49 PM
LoL, we (Vics) have the compulsory $50 levy on our registrations and you guys (NSW) get 200$ fines and modifications needed to quiet down bikes....who voted the Carr government in? Or are NSW trying to be the California of Australia???

God it wasn't me - the guy does not even drive a car .. which is probably why the NSW roads are in such terrible state.

If he really wanted to help solve the traffic problem he would make all tolls (especially the Harbour Bridge) and city parking free for bikes.

You Melbourne guys are so lucky you can park on the footpath!

I think Carr is out to finish sports bike riding in this city...

The only piece of rideable road close to the city (and that's still almost hour to get to) is so heavily policed you don't even want to ride a standard 250 along it.

Of course Harleys arre still running rampart with straight thru pipes ... what kind of deal do those guys have?!

:soap:

FORZA
05-11-2004, 12:01 AM
About 3/4 of an hour along the M4 and you will be at the start of some very good roads that are not overly trafficked or policed.
Very few 'westies' will ever ride the old road unless it is used as part of a loop. We have the best part of Sydney for variety of roads and scarceness (is that a word?) of police.

Dave.

Fox
05-11-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by FORZA
About 3/4 of an hour along the M4 and you will be at the start of some very good roads that are not overly trafficked or policed.
Very few 'westies' will ever ride the old road unless it is used as part of a loop. We have the best part of Sydney for variety of roads and scarceness (is that a word?) of police.

Dave.

Yeah but it's in the west! (just kidding)
You're coming on the May 22 ride aren't you Dave?

Ohmygewd
05-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Fox
Of course Harleys arre still running rampart with straight thru pipes ... what kind of deal do those guys have?!:soap:

No deal Foxy, the police are scared of them that's all!!!!

FORZA
At this point yes, but I have a fairly fresh (2mths) youngster at home who is causing havoc to our sleep patterns so I may be asleep yet but I'm definitely keen.

Dave.

Johnny in Oz

Dave.

Not to mention Eastern Creek! Thank god for track days. Watch out for the furore if the powers that be ever decide to place their regulatory mitts on that slice of heaven.:rambo:

I've been meaning to check out the western road offerrings for some time. Thanks for the reminder.

John

Fox
05-11-2004, 02:50 AM
No deal Foxy, the police are scared of them that's all!!!!

Yeah I really think you're right on that one .... of course most Harley riders these days are actually fat middled aged advetising executives .. well so they say .. I don't actually know anyone that rides a Harley ...

blowout
05-11-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Fox
That seems like a good price to me Adam. Blowout you may also want to check out the Tigcrafts, they are quite cheap compared to the Euro systems (about $1250-00 I think) but beautifully made ... you will see pix in the 04 section of the site. I have a slipon on mine and it's a beautiful thing. Hozay is a fan too ...
Seems like the Tigs are the go, but only links I could find is a UK company. Think it may be better to go direct to Japan or USA. Could someone give me a contact/link for them? I have searched but only come up with some obscure bullshit and the UK people.
Thanks

Fox
05-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Seems like the Tigs are the go, but only links I could find is a UK company. Think it may be better to go direct to Japan or USA. Could someone give me a contact/link for them? I have searched but only come up with some obscure bullshit and the UK people.
Thanks

Deksawayer who is a member here runs this site:

http://www.deksawyer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tigcraft.html

where you can look at the pretty pictures. But Australian need to order direct from Japan.

Just email Ume ( tigcraft@pop07.odn.ne.jp ) and tell him what you want.

He accepts PayPal!

dpmasunder
05-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Hey fellas. Didn't know about this thread. Can I join? Even if I suck, Fox?:D

morelli
05-11-2004, 04:42 AM
Hey, wait for me. I didn't know about this thread either. Now what do I do?

dpmasunder
05-11-2004, 05:03 AM
Dunno
Grab yaself a beer and a chiko roll?

Fox
05-11-2004, 05:32 AM
Hehe .. welcome guys! You don't have to do anything. But a few of us here are working on establishing more Aprilia rides / get togethers and things in our various areas - as well as organising a national get together. Plus it's good to talk about local stuff like a Poll I'm about to start about 'what petrol we like to use', where to get parts etc.

We also have contact with John Sample group and our ride days are now on aprilia.com.au

As you know this is a fantastic place to get info and chat but in this thread it's about local knowledge and helping out fellow Aussies if we can.

I might also ask Micah if we can have a separate forum on here as this thread is gonna get awful long! :D

Anyhow, welcome, good to have you aboard! :)

Pro Backmarker
05-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Geez, [sips beer] hasn't this thread just exploded out of no-where again [bites chiko roll]?

petermac
05-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Greetings Fox and all I plan on attending the members ride on 22 may as long as i don't have to work that saturday morning . Look forward to meeting you all . Is anyone going to the Show at Darling Harbour ?

AdamT
05-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Hi Morelli,

Welcome on board. Are you aware that there is an active Aprilia Club in Melbourne?

Check out www.aprilia.com.au/club for ride reports & photos from previous rides and details of upcoming rides. Our next one is on Sunday the 30th May. Details are on the site.

Would be great to see a new face at our next ride!

Ohmygewd
05-11-2004, 06:38 AM
Seriously folks....when the hell is the Aprilia club/riders going to get as 'known as the DOC????Getting sick of these DOC members:happy:

On a serious note, been comtemplating selling the Aprilia...after a track bike maybe come race bike and with the spare change buy a very slightly used R1 or SP1 (build it up myself) as a road bike. Love the RSV and just starting to really get use to it but don't fancy the idea of troweling it down hmm say turn 3 at Winton then trying to get it back on the road again.:confused:

AdamT
05-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Don't do it ... before I upgraded to the 04 Erre, I rode my 2002 RSV Mille back to back with an SP1. The motor in the SP1 is strong, but that's about it ... handling wise it has nothing on the Mille.

We will get as known as DOC when more Aprilia owners such as yourself come along to our Club Rides!

So I take it we will see you at our next Melbourne ride on Sunday 30th May????

Seriously guys, I have come to the conclusion that the club will become what we make it. I started the Aprilia Club in Melbourne earlier this year with very little support from JSG. We had 9 bikes at our first ride, we now have 20 Melbourne owners/members with a core group of 14 or so. We have made up signs that we have put in the Aprilia dealers windows to advertise the club. One of the guys made up little business cards with info about the club and my contact details which we keep on us to hand out to any Aprilia owners we come across in our travels or to leave on any parked Aprilias we see in the city.

Bottom line, I hope to have 30-40 active members in Melbourne by the end of this year ... with at least one organised ride a month, weekend trips away and coordinated track days for those riders like myself who suffer withdrawal symptoms if they don't get their track day fix.

Check out the ride reports/photos on the Club sites. The Melbourne crew that have come along to rides rave about them, and we all have something in common. A passion for bikes, and a bigger passion for our Aprilia's. ... And they are on all makes and models, Tuono's, Milles, Falco's, Futura's, Pegasoe's ...

I'll step off my soap box now ...

Scot p
05-11-2004, 03:21 PM
OK so who;s the best aprilia Mechanic in Sydney,,,I got my bike shipped new from Melbourne so have no ties to any of the local dealers, and before anyone suggests Tom Byrne, no they just shit me....

Someone with a dyno would be nice, I would like some number on the tuono before I mod it any more..

cya
Scot.

RinOz
05-11-2004, 03:36 PM
talking to John at Aitkens, see how you go from there:D

OZSLR
05-11-2004, 06:28 PM
In Sydney, I would take my bike to no one else but Gowanloch. They are an authorised Aprilia service agent and Mike Soderland knows his V Twins !! But that is just IMHO bsaed on personal experience with them.

On the club note, I want to reinforce Adam's comments. I have ridden with a number of groups over the past few years including Triumph RAT pack day rides and annual events (very political, and dealer controlled). There is an enthusiasm amongst the people I have met, and I think the potential is huge. The Melbourne club appears very healthy even in it's infancy, and is in good hands. How about all you Sydney riders get behind Fox and help to make that successful too, with a view towards meeting up in Tumut in Oct.

Cheers,

Scot p
05-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Would like to see some aprilia club track days along the lines of the HRCA rides, only road registered bikes allowed, keeps the carnage down due to the track junkies on disposable bikes not being in the mix..And love playing at EC, but even Oran park is going to be fun on the Tuono...

I'm staying a member of HRCA just for the track stuff, have to tell them i still have a VFR :rolleyes:

Will look into getting service at Gowanloch, they looked to be the best option anyway, service departments tied to dealers never seem to take the care required... A certain Prillia,triumph and BMW dealer has had some dodgie things done to my mates speed triple..

cya
Scot.

FORZA
05-11-2004, 07:07 PM
I would VERY highly recommend Aitkens, John is the best to deal with. They bought my old race bike (last years Pro-Twins winner) and John has gone on with further developement ideas based on the '04 mods etc. He will not short cut anything and will not bullshit about what can and cant be done.
There have been 2 previous trackdays organised in Sydney for Aprilia riders but neither were very well attended or supported by dealers so I would suggest that a firm commitment again will be required. JSA management will helpout with any activity like this if it goes ahead so long as it is presented properly.
The club idea is very good to see becoming a reality, keep it up dudes.

Dave.

OZSLR
05-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Dedicated brand track days, or even club days as I understand need at least 50 bikes to break even. I attended one at the Island last November run by Phillip Island and District MCC as a club organised day (there are around 200 club members). The club lost around $5K with only 38 bikes attending. I think the concept of an Aprilia track day is a great one, but I think you would be hard pressed to get the numbers to break even.

I too don't want to throw my SLR down the track or have some maniac take me out as it would then mean my road bike is out of action and the damage caused not covered by insurance. My best suggestion would be to organise numbers through club Aprilia, then group book with one of the dedicated ride day companies so the Aprilia influence would be high, but no one has the hassle or financial risk associated with organising the event.

I have done this with performance based courses where I get a group of mates together and book and it makes the day even more fun.

AdamT
05-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Excellent comment Trevor,

In the medium term, I cannot see us having enough Aprilia's for an Aprilia only track day.

Our best bet in Melbourne is to pick a Aus superbike school ride day at the Island, then arrange for an Aprilia only session. We would only need 25-30 bikes. I have spoken with Steve Brogey and he is happy to support these kind of events in Mel/Syd.

The other option is to team up with one of the other marques, most probably MV Augusta for a MV/Aprilia day. they have a very active riders group and the guy who runs the club is one of my work colleagues brother.

Failing that ... we can just co-ordinate to get as many aprilia owners from the club down to the track on the same day and ensure we book into the same group.

With any of the above options we will have a ball!

Fox
05-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by petermac
Greetings Fox and all I plan on attending the members ride on 22 may as long as i don't have to work that saturday morning . Look forward to meeting you all . Is anyone going to the Show at Darling Harbour ?

Hi Peter, yes rider confirms are starting to dribble in :) We have about 6 or 7 so far .. and I have not checked to see how many non board members have contacted Aprilia.

I am going to the motor show on Sunday, in the arvo sometime, I wanna see the Guzzi!

FORZA
05-11-2004, 09:01 PM
It is HOORRRRRRRNNNNNNN but is very much still a prototype, welded bits here and there, shitty finish etc. on parts but not unless you crawl all over it.
The riding position is very roomy considering the size of the bike which was real suprising.

Dave

morelli
05-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Anyone going to Winton on Sunday? The Pro Twins should turn into a bit of a grudge match with the Aprilia boys Archibald and Allen hoping to claw back the lead from Ducati.

Adam, I 've been trying my best to get onto one of the Melbourne rides but seems everytime you schedule one it coincides with either work or family committments. Things are looking up for the Central Highlands ride at the end of the month though.

Phil.

OZSLR
05-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Are you guys refering to the MGS-01, which I used to look at in an old copy of TW until the pages got stuck together :-)

FORZA
05-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I most certainly was.

Dave.

Fox
05-11-2004, 10:49 PM
I most certainly was.

Dave.

Interesting, have you already seen it Dave?

FORZA
05-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Yep, I have. I assembled it when it landed and a Breva 1100.

Dave.

Fox
05-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Yep, I have. I assembled it when it landed and a Breva 1100.

Dave.

Shit! A Breva 1100? I didn't think had even been made ... I've got my on one of those too - should be a great tourer yes?

blowout
05-12-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Fox
Deksawayer who is a member here runs this site:

http://www.deksawyer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tigcraft.html

where you can look at the pretty pictures. But Australian need to order direct from Japan.

Just email Ume ( tigcraft@pop07.odn.ne.jp ) and tell him what you want.

He accepts PayPal!
Thanks Fox, I'll get on it now. (Don't know what Pay Pal is but guess I'll find out).

Fox
05-12-2004, 03:54 AM
Thanks Fox, I'll get on it now. (Don't know what Pay Pal is but guess I'll find out).

Yes get on it mate! :)

Paypal is a really good secure way to pay for things on the Internet, from tiny amounts to large amounts. I bought mine that way.

http://www.paypal.com/ if you're interested.

Ohmygewd
05-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Don't do it ... before I upgraded to the 04 Erre, I rode my 2002 RSV Mille back to back with an SP1. The motor in the SP1 is strong, but that's about it ... handling wise it has nothing on the Mille.

We will get as known as DOC when more Aprilia owners such as yourself come along to our Club Rides!

So I take it we will see you at our next Melbourne ride on Sunday 30th May????

Most certainly will....when l get off my 1 mth vacation, if you know what l mean!!!

Bike is due for the major service, Bike Barn or Eurobrit spannerman?

AdamT
05-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Most of the guys in the Melbourne arm of Club Aprilia take their bike to Bike Barn for any work and they all speak very highly of them. Gary, the mechanic there really knows his Aprilias and seems a pretty genuine sort of guy. I have started taking my Aprilia there ... he definantly does a better job tuning the bike then the cowboys at A1.

OZSLR
05-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Mmmm, interesting. I bought my bike (SLR) from A1 Brighton as an 11/02 but only 5000K's . The delivery process is a whole seperate story but, when it was finally ready, the bike was dirty, there was almost no fuel in it, sold sticker still on the fairing and a gum wrapper stuck inside the fairing screen. I only took it back for the 7500K service as they offered to do it for nothing to compensate for the absolute balls up of the delivery.

So Bike Barn is the recommendation ?? Has anyone tried Eurobrit ?

I am used to thehigh standards of Gowanlochs and Frettens (I rate as one of the best dealers in OZ, shame they don't sell Prillas)

Cheers,

Ohmygewd
05-12-2004, 05:59 PM
I'm leaning towards BikeBarn as it's close to my work but l think, may be wrong, that Forza had some glowing praise about the guys at Eurobrit?
I've been able to service the majority of the bike myself but TB balancing/adjustments and checking shims...don't have the equipment nor the time to fiddle.

Scot p
05-12-2004, 07:40 PM
I bought my bike from Bike Barn but I live in Sydney, had it shipped direct to my home, they where great to deal with over the phone, Looked to be fairly well preped when I got the bike,,,,even if it is a ltiile on the loud side :p:

cya
Scot.

Exdukenut
05-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Sorry for taking so long to even remember this Forum/Thread. Haven't been hear for ages and it's a very hapenning thing.:)

Look forward to meeting those Sydneysiders we haven't met as yet on the 22nd at Mt White. Almost got daughters sport arranged for the morning/arvo, so 90% there for it.

As to Clubs, ride days etc, I've been running in Sydney a very loose Aprilia Riders email list, currently 27 I think, so no worries about getting info out about promos, ride days, track days (and yes Steve Brouggie (Superbike School) would be keen to assist) etc.

As to the GP, Nick (DeTuono), and a guy on an R1 , (we have a house organised at New Haven), are riding down probably Wed via the twistiest route I know. We are likely to be on the Island by Friday evening. Would be keen to discuss the tent/Aprilia/JSG hospitality further if anyone knows for sure.

Oh, and by the way, aren't these bikes great!;)

:cool:

Fox
05-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi Leigh about time you got here! :D

OZSLR
05-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Leigh, what route do you have planned down to GP. We have so many twisties down here.

I'll be leaving Melb Thursday am, back Friday night meeting some mates from Sydney halfway and doing an overnighter.
Normal route is hume weir round to Beechworth (overnight) then depending on weather, either GAR, or Whitfield, Mansfield, Alexandra. Marysville, Reefton Warbie, Dandenongs, drink !

Great to hook up if it made sense. If any others from Melb are interested let me know.

Exdukenut
05-13-2004, 12:41 AM
It's now marked down as a stopover at some stage through the day Charlie!:p:

EvilSpike
05-13-2004, 01:19 AM
Heyas...any Perth Aprilia riders out there?

Exdukenut
05-13-2004, 01:20 AM
PeterH from the Falco Forum is. PM him, in the members section.

kaplano1
05-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Just discovered this thread.

Hello from Sydney. :aussie:

AdamT
05-13-2004, 03:41 AM
Fox ... what have you started here? :)

When are we getting our own Forum????

While aprilia.com.au should continue to have Club Aprilia information what do you think about having our own forum here as the "unoffical Club site" so we can co-ordinate rides and share information?

dpmasunder
05-13-2004, 05:57 AM
Anyone know of any reputable and fast places for getting a coil rewound in Sydney or Melbourne? There's about a 3 week turnaround up here:(
Thinking about sending it interstate.....

DeTuono
05-13-2004, 06:42 AM
Just checkin' in from sunny Sydney...

Nick

Fox
05-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Fox ... what have you started here? :)

When are we getting our own Forum????

While aprilia.com.au should continue to have Club Aprilia information what do you think about having our own forum here as the "unoffical Club site" so we can co-ordinate rides and share information?

I think it's a great idea, updates can be posted up until the last minute.

I'll email the AFI guys and see if we can get a forum for us. It seems we are the only really active country on here! :)

Fox
05-13-2004, 08:58 PM
.. and welcome Kaplano and Nick!
Nick what IS your avatar??

Johnny in Oz
05-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Fox
Hi Leigh about time you got here! :D

Yeah I was getting a bit worried and was thinking of getting search crew together . . . . but then I figured you must've been preoccuped with some other important task like bottling your latest brew.:D

DazRSV
05-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Dp 3 weeks sounds about the norm , a workmate just waited 3 weeks for one on his R6 he was told 1 week , and that was through a reputable bike dealership in Sydney.

Exdukenut
05-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Guys, it's so nice to feel wanted. It's not as if I don't get enough of it from the 3 kids!:D But hey I'll take it from wherever I can get it!:p: :p:

OZSLR, we'll be coming through via the coast( but through the Nat Park, Macquarie Pass, Kangaroo Valley to Eden, up Brown's Mt to Cooma, Jindabyne (1st night's stop), then down through Kancoban, into Albury, and Wangaratta, turn left and through Kings Valley and Mansfield & Yea.

From here depending on weather and whether we leave Wed or Thurs, we can then stop in Say Broadford, or even Daylesford for the second evening. Day 3, will be to Ballarat, and down to Colac, Simpsons Creek (excellent road by the way!), and onto the GOR around lunchtime, the ferry at to Sorento, and onto the Island.

If we only do 2 days (ie leave Thursday), we'll go through from Mansfield and onto the way through the Dandedongs you've mentioned, Reefton Spur etc, and come out south of PI, and in that way.

Look forward to meeting up down at the Island. We also have Lowrance (Falco owner), from the Alice, flying I think, but he'll be staying with us on the Island for the GP. As I said we're staying just near the bridge onto the Island, so we'll be frequenting the San Remo Hotel, for sure! :cheers:

DeTuono
05-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Charlie,

The avatar is a pic from an old copy of Performance Bikes. It's a bit of an in-joke: back in the seventies and early eighties there was a famous contributor to Bike magazine (LJK Setright) who looked like the guy in the pic - classic old fogey. PB created the image to make a point about the Kawasaki W650, which it was testing at the time.

I got the joke and liked the picture. Since I'm a bit of an old fogey myself, I thought I'd appropriate it.

Cheers, Nick

PeterH
05-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Yes,

I'm in Perth, where it has just started raining...

Peter. :aussie:

RS125 nut
05-14-2004, 05:46 AM
thats a very arty shot of u and ur bike pete

kaplano1
05-14-2004, 06:02 AM
Parking Ticket

Can anybody in NSW please tell me what the rules are in regards to motorbikes and paying parking meter?

I got a fine in the mail today for 'Parking without a ticket' at Quay St, Sydney (CBD). I have parked there all year and never got a ticket.

Where are you supposed to put a parking receipt (from the parking meter machine) on the bike anyway? It would blow away or someone would steal it? :mad:

Astroboy
05-14-2004, 06:05 AM
dont park in a car park, if you take a place you have to pay the same as a car. most pay/park places have a motorbike part setaside thats free. if not just park on the side walk, but not in a wat to impeed ppl walking or ule get a tickett.

oh yeah im a canberra boy.
WOOT!!!!!

kaplano1
05-14-2004, 06:12 AM
I parked between two cars on the side of the street mate. That is, with my rear tyre to the curb so I wasn't taking up a whole car space. There are no parking bays on this street or painted lines. You just park and print off a ticket.

And here in Sydney your not allowed to park on the foot path. I only do it when I am stopping for 5 mins or if I am in a residential area.

Next time I will just park in the designated bike parking a few blocks away. All I wanted was the convenience of parking where I have parked for the past few months. :shooter:

rsv42
05-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by kaplano1
Parking Ticket

Can anybody in NSW please tell me what the rules are in regards to motorbikes and paying parking meter?

I got a fine in the mail today for 'Parking without a ticket' at Quay St, Sydney (CBD). I have parked there all year and never got a ticket.

Where are you supposed to put a parking receipt (from the parking meter machine) on the bike anyway? It would blow away or someone would steal it? :mad:

I don"t know exactly were you were parked (1 hour ticket etc etc)but i do know that in the cbd there are cycle parking only areas. I can only suggest that you park in them from know on as it seems motorcycles seem to be copping it from everywhere and everyone at the moment. As for putting your ticket somewere on your bike it is nearly impossible to do it without it being blown off or stolen.If only we could park on the footpath like the mexicans.:D

Kurrajong Rider
05-15-2004, 08:21 AM
...just came across this site for the first time...and I like IT!!!
With all this talk about the big Twins, is there any room for the little 250 brothers???

Fox
05-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Parking Ticket

I park in CIRCULAR QUAY too! You got away all year without a ticket! Wow. I don't think they care where it goes (the ticket) , but they want it.

I park in the alleyway opposite the Marriot Harbourside. It's private property right at the end of the lane. Usually a spot there.

I wish the counceil would open up more bikes parking spots ... oh hang on that would help solve the traffic problems and pollution .. let's not do that :D

Fox
05-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Astroboy
dont park in a car park, if you take a place you have to pay the same as a car. most pay/park places have a motorbike part setaside thats free. if not just park on the side walk, but not in a wat to impeed ppl walking or ule get a tickett.

oh yeah im a canberra boy.
WOOT!!!!!

$10 a day in Sydney at the major car parks. Which is pretty good. Was $5 up intil lat year. But they have spots that cant fit a car they use. So it's just a bit of extra money for them.

Fox
05-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Kurrajong Rider
...just came across this site for the first time...and I like IT!!!
With all this talk about the big Twins, is there any room for the little 250 brothers???

You know there is a section for 250s on this forum? Go to http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=19

However if you're talking about this thread - all Aprilias welcome! Personally I've always wanted a one of those 250s .. they must be a hoot on the twisties.

And you live in Kurrajong? Perfect :)

Fox
05-15-2004, 08:57 PM
I don"t know exactly were you were parked (1 hour ticket etc etc)but i do know that in the cbd there are cycle parking only areas. I can only suggest that you park in them from know on as it seems motorcycles seem to be copping it from everywhere and everyone at the moment. As for putting your ticket somewere on your bike it is nearly impossible to do it without it being blown off or stolen.If only we could park on the footpath like the mexicans.:D

Yeah. Bloody Mexicans! :D

Here is a link to a list of CBD bike parking areas.

CLICK HERE (PDF) (http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/pdf/cs_pitc_motor_cycle_parking_0903.pdf)

kaplano1
05-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Fox
I park in CIRCULAR QUAY too! You got away all year without a ticket! Wow. I don't think they care where it goes (the ticket) , but they want it.

I park in the alleyway opposite the Marriot Harbourside. It's private property right at the end of the lane. Usually a spot there.

I wish the counceil would open up more bikes parking spots ... oh hang on that would help solve the traffic problems and pollution .. let's not do that :D

The Quay St I park at is in Haymarket (Near Paddy's Market/UTS) :p:

From now on I will just park in the bike parking a few blocks away and walk.

But I still am concerned about the whole parking meter situation. If I go to Bondi Beach, there are parking bays. Will I get a ticket if I park between two cars who have already paid the meter? Next time I see a parking cop, I will ask them about the rules. :mad:

Fox
05-15-2004, 10:41 PM
The Quay St I park at is in Haymarket (Near Paddy's Market/UTS) :p:

From now on I will just park in the bike parking a few blocks away and walk.

But I still am concerned about the whole parking meter situation. If I go to Bondi Beach, there are parking bays. Will I get a ticket if I park between two cars who have already paid the meter? Next time I see a parking cop, I will ask them about the rules. :mad:

Oh, oops. I just saw Quay and thought ... lol.

All parking rules apply to motorcycles too as far as I know. Parking in betwen cars is illegal. But good idea. Next parking cop you see .. get them to clarify the situation. I'd be interested to know.

kaplano1
05-16-2004, 02:36 AM
I found this site: http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/30.html

It basically clears up everything I wanted to know and reffirms my worry about parking in designated bays or ticket parking.

OzDog
05-16-2004, 09:09 AM
WOOOAAH,

spend a few nights in hospital after coming off my rs125 and an all aussie thread starts. thats trhe way. PLEASE are there any riders in TAZ. im lonely down here. and its cold and the roads are getting too slippery. oh yeah and about the aprilia tent thing at the GP definately try and get something to happen:aussie:

EvilSpike
05-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Yes,

I'm in Perth, where it has just started raining...

Peter. :aussie:

Yes.....Rain, Rain, Bloody rain.......dont stop me tho:D

OZSLR
05-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Quite off topic, but a put things in perspective thought for the day and to start our week. We all (me included) complain about all the little things that bug us in life and on this forum for obvious reasons, associated with trying to maximise our enjoyment with motorcycling. Most of them justified in the scheme of things.

Friday afternoon, a great friend, riding buddy and a Cystic Fibrosis sufferer called me to say that he felt up to a ride, having been in a pretty bad way, particularly for the last month. I cancelled my plans and we set off for a day, taking in some of our favourite stretches, through Black Spur, Marysville, Yea, Flowerdale, Kinglake and home through the Dandenong's. He commented at the end, on what a great day he had, and how riding particularly over the past year had lifted him out of states of depression and given him the will to keep going (they guy was given 2 years, 12 months ago unless a donor could be found). He's 32. The median life expectancy for CF !

At 3.00am Sunday I got a call to say a donor match had been made, this followed a couple of close calls over the last 2 months where another ended up as the recipient. He commented each time "I'm glad it went to them, they needed them more than me" ! That sums up my friend to a tee !!!

He spent 8 hours in surgery yesterday, standard for a double lung transplant he had told me. He now resides in ICU but is coherent. His wonderful partner of many years, sent an email out this morning to all his motorcycling mates and she quoted him as saying that the ride the day before had lifted his spirits and given him the strength to face the operation and the other side. I don't think any of us can imagine the pain and suffering that is to follow.

Lets all spare a thought for my friend, as he recovers over the next 6-9 months (before he can ride again) next time we complain about the inconveniences we face through the continued intrusion of beaurocrats into our pastime, or the shortcomings of our current ride choice. I reckon he'd do anything to ride an underpowered, poorly suspended, standard exhaust bike on heavily policed roads at 60Kp/h in the pouring rain right now !

Fox
05-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes that certainly does make you sit back and think "perhaps life is not so bad for me". An inspiring story and I wish him the speediest recovery.

I have a friend in a simliar position only it was a kidney transplant he had been waiting 4 years for. What suprised me was he said the pain was so bad after the operation he wished he had never had it ....

OZSLR
05-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the good wishes Fox. I hope too, that your friend recovered well. And I thought a Hernia op was painful !

What happened to your Avatar ??

Fox
05-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the good wishes Fox. I hope too, that your friend recovered well. And I thought a Hernia op was painful !

What happened to your Avatar ??

I get bored with them ... this one is actually my bike :D

The thing about the kidney op is that you don't get to use the urinary tract for a few years (as you are using a dialysis__
machine) , so it all dries up, and when you go to use it again they say it is the most intense pain, and you have to go every 5 seconds!! Also, you have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of you life. But hey in the long run you can lead a pretty normal life.

How long is your friend gonna be in hospital?

fuzz_RS125
05-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi,

I've just found this forum. Great to see. I have a 99 RS125 with the factory Harada Sticker Job. I will post up the bike. Not the best scenery in the work carpark.

I am wondering how many RS125/250 riders are in Sydney and if they are interested in rides? I know the Aprilia Club had a ride not long ago in VIC, but thats too far for me to go.

Ferhod

kaplano1
05-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by fuzz_RS125
I am wondering how many RS125/250 riders are in Sydney and if they are interested in rides?

Welcome.

Join the 125cc forum mate. There are a couple of us from Sydney.

I am in the east. Where abouts are you?

fuzz_RS125
05-16-2004, 10:57 PM
im in the north west. Epping. But getting around is half the fun. i will get onto the 125 forum, I actually thought I was. Not to good on the forums.

Fox
05-16-2004, 11:09 PM
There is a Sydney ride this Saturday guys. Leave Mt White at 10am > Wollombi for lunch > then home ... I'll be at Mt White from aournd 9am. It's a very casual thing so all welcome ..

Fox
05-17-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by OzDog
WOOOAAH,

spend a few nights in hospital after coming off my rs125 and an all aussie thread starts. thats trhe way. PLEASE are there any riders in TAZ. im lonely down here. and its cold and the roads are getting too slippery. oh yeah and about the aprilia tent thing at the GP definately try and get something to happen:aussie:

Ouch! Hope you're ok now.

Doesnt ApriliaDonna live down there? Female Mille rider ..?

Fox
05-17-2004, 01:05 AM
I have not heard back from Aprilia.com.au as to who has responded there. But so far this is who is coming:

•Gary - Tuono
•DeTuono (Nick) - Tuono
• Scot - Tuono - TBC
•JohnnyInOz - '04 Factory
•FORZA (Dave) - Moto Guzzi MGS-01? :D
•Exedukenut (Leigh) - something that started life as a Falco!
• petermac - RST 1000
• Simon
• Daz - Mille
•Fox (Mille)

rsv42?
Who else is coming?
Who am I missing?

OZSLR
05-17-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Fox
I get bored with them ... this one is actually my bike :D

The thing about the kidney op is that you don't get to use the urinary tract for a few years (as you are using a dialysis__
machine) , so it all dries up, and when you go to use it again they say it is the most intense pain, and you have to go every 5 seconds!! Also, you have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of you life. But hey in the long run you can lead a pretty normal life.

How long is your friend gonna be in hospital?

Ouch !! Yes, the mate will be on the anti rejection drugs also ! Just saw him, never been in an ICU ! Has an effect I must say. They wont commit at this point but at least 6 weeks.

Hope the Sydney ride this weekend is well attended and the weather is kind

phils-RST
05-17-2004, 02:57 AM
Hey Fox, can you tolerate an Old Fart on a Futura on Saturday?

If I can get off the leash I will see you at Mt. White (and probably a lot later at Wollombi!!!).

Would really like to get onto the email list Exdukenut if you can post it.

Phil

Fox
05-17-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by phils-RST
Hey Fox, can you tolerate an Old Fart on a Futura on Saturday?

If I can get off the leash I will see you at Mt. White (and probably a lot later at Wollombi!!!).

Would really like to get onto the email list Exdukenut if you can post it.

Phil

Only if you can tolerate an old fart on a Mille :D

This is more about getting together with other Aprilia fans, whether they're 125s or RSVRs. There is another RST coming too. We hope to orgnise more events with Aprilia Australia and eventually a national get togther. Anyway look forward to seeing you there!

Send me an email to fox@thebasement.com.au with Aprilia as the subject and I'll et Leigh to add you to the list ...

Pro Backmarker
05-17-2004, 07:03 AM
OK fellas, to hold up the Aprilia flag trackside, 3 of us vic members attended a ride day down phillip island today. All three of us (Zoltak, Spence88mph and myself) were 250 mounted, though Zoltak also brought along his 2 week old '04R1, and the lure of power had him spend more and more time on that. Weather was perfect, cool, but sunny with no wind (That's right, PI with no wind!!), and we all lumped in the meduim class to mix it up together.

The day was complete the highs and lows any good track day should, but I'll leave the details for the others. I will spill the beans on spence popping his "Knee slider" cherry, smearing plastic round the track.

Now to just sort that pesky fuel starvation problem that gave me grief all day in the long fast left handers....

DazRSV
05-17-2004, 06:49 PM
95% certain for the ride Fox , awaiting babysitter confirmation, picked up my sticker kit today for my pipe hope it comes under 94dba :rolleyes:

Fox
05-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Pro Backmarker
OK fellas, to hold up the Aprilia flag trackside, 3 of us vic members attended a ride day down phillip island today. All three of us (Zoltak, Spence88mph and myself) were 250 mounted, though Zoltak also brought along his 2 week old '04R1, and the lure of power had him spend more and more time on that. Weather was perfect, cool, but sunny with no wind (That's right, PI with no wind!!), and we all lumped in the meduim class to mix it up together.

The day was complete the highs and lows any good track day should, but I'll leave the details for the others. I will spill the beans on spence popping his "Knee slider" cherry, smearing plastic round the track.

Now to just sort that pesky fuel starvation problem that gave me grief all day in the long fast left handers....

Good stuff - those 250s must be an absolute hoot on somewhere like PI!

Daz, I'll add you to list ...

mike71
05-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Just got a 3d rsvr image in crystal from John sample, fantastic keepsake! :D

Thunder fighter
05-18-2004, 10:25 PM
My turn for a "me too". Went away for a couple of days holiday and then found Fox had posted in the Tuono forum about this thread.

Great to see so many others in Oz Aprilia riders around.

Skipping back a few posts:

On Aprilia track days:
A1 in Melbourne has in the past organised track days that were mainly Aprilia riders. Not sure if they plan to continue, I attended the last 2 of them at PI.

Service in Melbourne:
I got my bike from A1 Brighton and haven't had a problem with getting a service there (2 services now). When buying, I didn't like the attitude of the guys in bikebarn but I have warmed up to them more and buy some parts from them, wasn't sure about the services though, will probably give them a try next time.

Scot p:
Bikebarn is across the road from where I work and Paul told me he had sold the bike he had in stock and another one to Sydney. Was yours the one with the Scorpion pipe on it and did he leave the accessory mirrors and black front mudguard on it?

AdamT:
Add me to the list of interested people for rides around Melbourne, probably won't make many with family and work travel commitments but I would like to join occasionally.

Fox
05-18-2004, 10:29 PM
G'day mate. How's the Blue Flame going?

Z o l t a K
05-18-2004, 11:24 PM
Fox,

It was the most fun I've ever had down the track. With Spence and Eric, it made it even more fun especially when riding the 250. Stuck with it for the 1st 2 sessions then got a taste of power in the 3rd session with my new R1. Couldn't keep off the R1 after that and it is a bloody fast machine. Got up to 295 on the straight and that was the last time I looked at the speedo. Way too scary to know that sort of info. I felt like I wasn't even trying and I was getting some good times. Hats off to Spence who got both knees down! Look forward to the next run! Addicted again :)

Originally posted by Fox
Good stuff - those 250s must be an absolute hoot on somewhere like PI!

Daz, I'll add you to list ...

Johnny in Oz
05-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Has anyone in Sydney noticed the demise of the Tom Byrne dealership at St Peters? That's where I bought my Factory in February and Beemers previously.

I bumped into Graeme Wilshaw (accomplished racer and a shareholder of Procycles at Hornsby) at the Motorcyle show over the weekend where he mentioned the Procycles takeover was imminent. Well I was just out that way and thought I'd drop in to see the action for myself and it's official.

I was never a fan of the Tom Byrne dealership and therefore greeted the takeover as a good thing. The bad news is that Aprilia have taken back their bikes and I got the impression that the new crew (who are after all an established and respected BMW dealership) are circumspect to say the least at the prospect of continuing with the Aprilia dealership.

I just reckon it's a shame for an already depleted market to be losing Aprilia players.

Anyone have any other info or thoughts?

John

Fox
05-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Has anyone in Sydney noticed the demise of the Tom Byrne dealership at St Peters? That's where I bought my Factory in February and Beemers previously.

I bumped into Graeme Wilshaw (accomplished racer and a shareholder of Procycles at Hornsby) at the Motorcyle show over the weekend where he mentioned the Procycles takeover was imminent. Well I was just out that way and thought I'd drop in to see the action for myself and it's official.

I was never a fan of the Tom Byrne dealership and therefore greeted the takeover as a good thing. The bad news is that Aprilia have taken back their bikes and I got the impression that the new crew (who are after all an established and respected BMW dealership) are circumspect to say the least at the prospect of continuing with the Aprilia dealership.

I just reckon it's a shame for an already depleted market to be losing Aprilia players.

Anyone have any other info or thoughts?

John

Shit! That's where I bought mine too ... I had no idea. I really liked the store and unlike others had no problems with servicing. I was about to book it in for a 15k service.

So Tom Byrne has gone bust? They've been around for so long! I remember them when they were in Wentowrth Ave next to the MCA store ...

This means I'll have to go even further out west to get a service. Bugger ..

Ohmygewd
05-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Z o l t a K
Fox,

It was the most fun I've ever had down the track. With Spence and Eric, it made it even more fun especially when riding the 250. Stuck with it for the 1st 2 sessions then got a taste of power in the 3rd session with my new R1. Couldn't keep off the R1 after that and it is a bloody fast machine. Got up to 295 on the straight and that was the last time I looked at the speedo. Way too scary to know that sort of info. I felt like I wasn't even trying and I was getting some good times. Hats off to Spence who got both knees down! Look forward to the next run! Addicted again :)

Very impressive bike those new R1's, rode one at a Tribe day this year and impressed with the side to side handling and surefootness of the chassis..oh and bloody fast bike. Would really have to try hard and ride the big Aprilia like a 250 to keep up with it...

FORZA
05-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Be patient, things will be announced soon. Graeme is a fan of the Aprilia range and was looking to race a Tuono this year but it would not have looked to good for Pro-cycle.
I think it will be of great benefit to Aprilia in Sydney to have someone like these guys as part of the dealer network. I have known Graeme for quite a few years and have seen the way he conducts himself professionally.

Dave.

OZSLR
05-19-2004, 12:25 AM
I can only add that I "didn't" buy my first Falco from Byrnes, and I worked 2 minutes from them, and I bought a Triumph through them only becuse it wa the right bike for the right price. I vowed not to deal with them ever again. Mind you I bought my first Falco from Parrys' then they went broke, and they were just as useless.

My favourite Sydney Dealer is/was (when I lived there) Frettens at Blacktown. A well run family Biz focussed on customer service, but I think they refused an Aprillia dealership at some point.

Fox
05-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Be patient, things will be announced soon. Graeme is a fan of the Aprilia range and was looking to race a Tuono this year but it would not have looked to good for Pro-cycle.
I think it will be of great benefit to Aprilia in Sydney to have someone like these guys as part of the dealer network. I have known Graeme for quite a few years and have seen the way he conducts himself professionally.

Dave.

Can they start a new store in Wentworth Ave in the city so I don't have so far to ride to get it serviced? :D

FORZA
05-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Setting up good dealers is far harder than it seems, then they can be sold and it will all change how the shop works, good in this case but not so in others I have dealt with.

Dave.

FORZA
05-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Then it would be really close to Actions and who knows what you might catch hanging around a place like that.

Dave.

Fox
05-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Then it would be really close to Actions and who knows what you might catch hanging around a place like that.

Dave.

Hehe .. the last time I had something done at Action was a tire change .... hard to believe (or not) but they actually fitted the wrong tires *sigh*

Johnny in Oz
05-19-2004, 12:40 AM

Dave.

I could'nt agree with you more Dave. That's my point really and my conversation with Graeme at the show focussed on the great opportunity this is for someone to come in and turn that Aprilia dealership around (with respect to anyone who actually liked the Tom Byrnes crew). I just got the impression that it's all a bit much for them (at the moment at least) and it genuinely saddened me see that the Aprilias had gone.

Watch this space indeed!

John

OZSLR
05-19-2004, 12:49 AM
A question on club Aprilia. I faxed my form in around 2 weeks ago, complete with credit card details. Called after a week just to see if they had received it, as I said I did not want my CC number, name and signature falling in the wrong hands, and was told I'd get a call back to confirm (and didn't). Called the next day...mumble mumble, yeah we've got it and it's being processed. Still no show as of today. Is this normal ? I'm not fussed if it takes a while, but it can hardly be rocket science to process. Doesn't give a good impression for a brand that relies to a fair extent on an emotional attachment and loyalty and is apparently encouraging owner participation. Hats off to the owners who are putting in the efforts to promote the brands though !!

In reality this pretty much sums up my experience with Aprilia sales, and much of the bike retail industry in general.

Fox
05-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Damn, keep on creating new threads which end up in the International section.
Anyway more on the rumoured new V4 Ducati ...

Where's our street legal Cube! :D

"STUNNING PREVIEW

The most secret, under-wraps news at Ducati is about to be made public at WDW2004.

Ducati CEO Federico Minoli will personally deliver the sensational surprise announcement from the stage at WDW on Saturday, May 22nd.

We can’t tell you anything yet, but we can tell you that no motor-head will want to miss this one-of-a-kind event.

So, if you can't be at the track in Misano Adriatico for World Ducati Week this year, bookmark this page. And wherever you will be, prepare to be blown away.

Saturday, May 22nd. 7:00 PM GMT. Only at WDW and on www.ducati.com.

BE THERE!"

Exdukenut
05-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Found this interesting quote on Noise regs and the EPA. This is why the sticker on the exhaust from the MCA will work with the police.

"In NSW, if you have a replacement muffler or system, you are also required to carry a label on the muffler stating what the new tested limit is. It is a rather complex set of rules imposed by the EPA (now DEC) and is being reviewed by the DEC with the assistance of the MCC of NSW."

Food for thought guys!;)

Fox
05-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Exdukenut
Found this interesting quote on Noise regs and the EPA. This is why the sticker on the exhaust from the MCA will work with the police.

"In NSW, if you have a replacement muffler or system, you are also required to carry a label on the muffler stating what the new tested limit is. It is a rather complex set of rules imposed by the EPA (now DEC) and is being reviewed by the DEC with the assistance of the MCC of NSW."

Food for thought guys!;)

That reminds me ... I must go to misterminute before the weekend :D

phils-RST
05-19-2004, 02:23 AM
Thought something was "fishy" about Tom Byrnes. I was sniffing around the BMW display at the Sydney bike show, looking at the Boxer Cup (nice but no thanks) and got talking to one of their staff here from Germany. He told me that TB would be re-opneing as a BM only dealership (factory owned outlet I think).

Frankly, I am not sorry to see Byrnes go. It was a good company years ago when it was in Wentwoth Ave. but their servicing had really gone "down the chute". The final straw for me was when my Triumph Trophy was due to have the valve clearances checked during one service. They charged me for it but when I got the bike home it was obvious that the valve covers had not been removed. I didn't go back again except to get a refund for the over charge.

I find John at Aitkens excellent even tho' I am on the North Side and usually have to get the bike transported to them for service. Pro cycles getting an Aprilia franchise would suit me and the brand exposure on the North Shore would be a bonus.

By the way, just got my stickers from Staintune. Does anybody know if there is a requirement for these to be displayed on any particular part of the muffler? I put them under the pipes so Mr Plod will have to get down on hands and knees to read them!

Phil

kaplano1
05-19-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by phils-RST
I find John at Aitkens excellent even tho' I am on the North Side and usually have to get the bike transported to them for service. Pro cycles getting an Aprilia franchise would suit me and the brand exposure on the North Shore would be a bonus.

I purchased my RS125 at Aitkens. John was very friendly and helpful. Because I was on my Ls and don't live near Moorebank, I had the bike transported to my house using EzyMovers.

For my first service I took the bike back to Aitkens. Rather than get someone to drive with me for an hour (each way) and bring me home, I got EzyMovers to transport the bike again. Aitkens forgot to return my service book and front sprocket (I had it changed to a smaller one). They apologised and sent the stuff in the mail.

I also wish there was a good dealer located in the CBD (near Action) because that way I could pop by if I have any issues.

Since I am new to bikes I don't know much about the technical stuff. I need someone trustworthy because for all I know, they might not touch the bike and still charge me $150 for a service.

Plus my servicing costs would be lower - its expensive getting the bike transported and its also inconvenient to get home from such places.

The news about TB (both their poor service and stopping Aprilias) is annoying because I thought it would take my bike there for future services since its closer. Oh well!

DeTuono
05-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Dave (FORZA),

You're absolutely right about Graeme and Procycles. I live close to their Hornsby store, and its a terrific establishment. If Graeme can replicate that with a new dealership in St Peters, it will be fantastic for Aprilia.

Tom Byrne's servicing had long been suspect. If Procycles get their servicing standards set up, all Aprilia owners will benefit.

Hope you can persuade them to keep the Aprilia franchise.

Nick

OZSLR
05-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Lots of interaction from Sydney based riders here, so lets hope it goes well for numbers for your Weekend ride. Must say though, targetting the old road as a meeting place given all the issues with the EPA or whatever they are called now, introduces an element of risk that I hope you guys are not exposed to.

Thunder fighter
05-19-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi Fox,

The Blueflame is going well, after talking to them about the link pipe/fitting problem without any joy, I ended up just putting a spacer from a Scorpion pipe in between the footrest and the strap and that fixed the problem.

I run it with the top restrictor in place and with the bottom one removed, gives a really nice deep sound without being too loud, and I can put the bottom plug in place if I come up to NSW. :D

RinOz
05-19-2004, 04:05 PM
If you give John notice he'll do the service while you wait, I come down from Port Macquarie to have mine done:D
He did my Capo on my way back from the island last year, no worries:)

Aprilia Donna
05-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi All thought I should join the thread since I am from Australia too! ;)

OZSLR
05-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Aprilia Donna
Hi All thought I should join the thread since I am from Australia too! ;)

And one of the best parts of Australia at that. I was down in Tassie in March and toured for a week with my wife and daughter in our outfit. Will be coming down again next Feb/Mar, but this time solo on the SLR and can't wait !!!!

Aprilia Donna
05-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Tassie is great. I am actually in Melbourne this weekend not with the bike though for a bit of rest and relaxation. Looking forward too it.

Fox
05-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Aprilia Donna
Tassie is great. I am actually in Melbourne this weekend not with the bike though for a bit of rest and relaxation. Looking forward too it.

Hi Donna! Good to see you here :)

Fox
05-19-2004, 07:48 PM
•Gary - Tuono
•DeTuono (Nick) - Tuono
• Scot - Tuono - TBC
•JohnnyInOz - '04 Factory
•FORZA (Dave) - Moto Guzzi MGS-01?
•Exedukenut (Leigh) - something that started life as a Falco!
• petermac - RST 1000
• Simon
• Daz - Mille
•Fox (Mille)

and Tex & Cash (the dog) on the RSVR Factory.

There are a few more unconfirmed, I'm hoping other will just roll up on the day.

To those of you concerned with loud pipes ... I will be wearing my loud pipe (as opposed to shirt) and if you want to call after 9am I should be at Mt White and can let you know the lay of the land.

Anyhow those coming please keep my mobile number handy 0438 500 348.

Aprilia Donna
05-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Right then looks like I will have to save my money and let you guys know in advance that I will come to Sydney for one of these rides!!

Fox
05-19-2004, 08:18 PM
For those of you not aware of Tex & Cash (they will be riding with us Saturday) have a look at:

http://asiafoto.com/samples/cash/

Exdukenut
05-19-2004, 09:02 PM
I had a friend in Adelaide on an old 860GTS Ducati, that used to bring along his Staffie on the tank. The dog had his own leather scull cap, and the goggles as well. The dog loved it! (Who wouldn't!:D )

See everyone Saturday that is coming, weather looks like it will be superb!;)

red_m
05-20-2004, 07:31 AM
:D Just signing in here....still like the prilla even tho Col isn't riding it anymore. Wish shakey much luck this year.

Mille_Finners
05-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Signing in. Great thread guys. Heaps of useful local info.

OZSLR - can relate to how you feel about your CF mate - one of my dearest friends suffers - she had a transplant over 8 years ago now - and is happy, healthy, active & getting the max out of life. So there are happy stories. She's doubly extraordinary - on the day of her transplant - the only surgeon available at St Vinnies could only do a heart/lung double. So she's also got someone else's heart, and her (perfectly good) heart is now beating in someone's else's chest. Weird eh?

Re: Tom Byrne - the 'Prilia mechanic who used to be there, Steve, always did a top job on my '00 RSV R. Only hiccup on the Mille being a recent fuel pump relay failure. Got Gowanloch to fix that, and do last service. Can recommend them - not cheap but very reliable, professional & thorough. My gripe is I live lower north shore - and no Aprilia service centre for miles.

Re: Tex & Cash - seen them around plenty - he must have clocked up hundreds of thous of kays. Always on the move, rarely stops, including the time on the deserted back (dirt) road near Nowendoc (off Thunderbolt's Way) when he rode past me without stopping, despite being broken down with a flat on my Mille. Funny that.

Will miss this Sat's run up to Wollombi. Watch out for Leigh and Simon - they'll think they're back at EC with so many Aprilias around them ;-p Enjoy the Dr Jurd's jungle juice lads. Hopefully catch you on the next local ride.

- Finners

OZSLR
05-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Finners,

I will pass on your friends outcome to my mate, as another good fortune will inspire him. 4 days later, he is out of ICU, breathing on his own and sitting up and reliving past rides with me at night !

I'm going to be organising a ride in Tassie after the supers next year (something I promised him "after he got his transplant"), and hope to get a decent group together with the invitiation extended to all Aprilia riders and their friends.

More details abit down the track !

Fox/Leigh, could you please see what sort of interest, you get amongst the NSW guys for the proposed October Tumut gathering. I'll be discussing further with Adam down here next weekend on our ride and the we will post details on the club website (still waiting for my club membership to turn up after 2 weeks !)

Fox
05-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Fox/Leigh, could you please see what sort of interest, you get amongst the NSW guys for the proposed October Tumut gathering. I'll be discussing further with Adam down here next weekend on our ride and the we will post details on the club website (still waiting for my club membership to turn up after 2 weeks !)

Yeah will do.

My membership application got returned because I forgot to put my old membership number on it.
Haven't bothered since.

Welcome Finners!

Exdukenut
05-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Welocome Finners......:)

As to
Watch out for Leigh and Simon - they'll think they're back at EC with so many Aprilias around them Nah.....!

As to the Tummit run/meet for Aprilia, with the MotoGP in mid October, it'll put me out at least, as I've organised 6-7 days for it only, (plus I'm trying to organise to come for a ride day at PI at some stage, asap)! I'm a Mr Mum, so kids, first and foremost, on a week to week basis, plus the wife only gets so many days off from work, to allow me to organise bike stuff, (ie ride days).

Maybe this Aprilia/Tumut run should be done early/mid Feb next year! Thoughts?

Just my 2 cents worth.

OZSLR
05-20-2004, 08:39 PM
It was originally proposed as an Annual Aprilia get together and a date and location open to suggestion. The Oct date centred around the October Long weekend (For NSW, but no public Hol for Vic.). The input was not exactly overwhnelming. :(

It is not set in concrete and the MotoGP run is/was a concern (i'm taking off 4 days for it as well) but in the absence of better suggestions (and at the time any other regular ride groups apart from Vic) , Adam and I thought we would kick off a Vic weekend and invite all others hoping they could make it, With a view to expanding on it depending on its success.

Something around GP is always an option ?!

Johnny in Oz
05-20-2004, 09:15 PM

Maybe this Aprilia/Tumut run should be done early/mid Feb next year! Thoughts?

That's a good time of year to do it. I've done it the last two years - last time was just after the Factory's first service. Brilliant.

October is always going to be a problem with the MotoGP. Having said that, whenever it's held will never suit everyone so just go ahead and pick a date - preferably in the warmer months.

What was that line out of "Field of Dreams". . . . . "organise it and they will come" or something like that.;)

John

Fox
05-20-2004, 10:22 PM
That's a good time of year to do it. I've done it the last two years - last time was just after the Factory's first service. Brilliant.

October is always going to be a problem with the MotoGP. Having said that, whenever it's held will never suit everyone so just go ahead and pick a date - preferably in the warmer months.

What was that line out of "Field of Dreams". . . . . "organise it and they will come" or something like that.;)

John

Feb is probably better, it's hard for people to get time off for the ride if they are also going to the gp.

Only thing is I hate riding in the heat!

AdamT
05-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Warm???

This photo was taken in the last weekend of summer (end Feb) last year on an Alpine tour I did with finners. Finners left his mille at home for this trip, that's him on the honda fatpan. that's me on the 02 Mille.

We could do two rides ... one for the Melb boys later this year, and a national one early next year.

AdamT
05-20-2004, 11:27 PM
... and another pic of our summer ride.

AdamT
05-20-2004, 11:28 PM
... and the final pic from our Summer Alpine Tour

Exdukenut
05-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Looks like fun, (not)!;)

DazRSV
05-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Woah! got some snow guys any more and you might of had to throw the chains on , did you camp out under the stars?
I think I know what bike I would of liked to of been on.
Great pics.

Fox
05-21-2004, 12:27 AM
I stand corrected ROFL! :burnout:

AdamT
05-21-2004, 12:33 AM
We encountered the snow 10km's from the top of Hotham. We were heading over Hotham to Bruthen, our overnight stay and we could not really backtrack so we decided to push on after stopping for photos!

Not only was the road incredibly slippery (I had a number of moments and at < 10km/h had the back end step out a couple of times - about 6-12 inches according to finners who was behind me!) but visibility was next to zero. Mainly thanks to the falling snow sitting on the outside of the helmet visor and freezing, and my heavy breathing fogging up the inside! Not to mention the fact it was freezing, I could not feel my fingers!!!

The last 10km's to the summit took us just under an hour ... On the other side of the Mountain, Past Dinner Plain we were greeted by blue skies, sunshine and a dry road ... Finners will correct me but this was where I had a near moment with a grazing cow on the road. He said I tried to give the Cow a Aprilia Mille enema.

This is a story to be told when we get together for a Club Aprilia Alpine Tour!

It was a great trip, we encountered pretty much everything nature could throw at us, not to mention seeing the devastation caused by the intense fire storms around Omeo.

Fox
05-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Great story and great pics!'

I like the sound of 'Club Aprilia Alpine Tour' though .. I can see some T Shirts for that ;)

Pro Backmarker
05-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Adam,
I Know how that felt mate! My wife and I did a 4 day trip over the March LWE in '01 (I think?) to celebrate her getting her license. We went Day1-melb/mansfield/whitfield/ (Run into whitfield is sweet!) Day 2 & 3 bright area (gotta run Mt Beauty), and Day 4 hotham/omeo/bruthen (Another awesome road)/bairnsdale/melb

Anyway, it was insanly hot (30+) for the first 3 days, with the ride every day interupted with a swim in a river. Day 4 and the clouds roll into porpunkah, but still warm enought when we roll out of town. Hit Harrietville and run up hotham is a killer. 0*C, rain/sleet fog, slimey roads and <3M vis all the way up. Not the place for a peaky R6 anyway. We stop for a few shots on the way over (near 2 hours) while trying to get some feeling back in our bodys, and when we hit dinner plain it's beautiful again. By the time we hit omeo it was back into 25*C+ weather!!

Alpine weather, it's harder to pick than a broken nose. Still, the baptism of fire wasn't enough to put the +1 off riding (dispite her using a tinted visor!), so that's a good thing!

Fox
05-22-2004, 01:13 AM
Nick has posted some pics here. (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27798)

A good day was had by all :)

phils-RST
05-22-2004, 01:57 AM
Bloody hell Nick I wish I could ride as fast as you post!

Thanks for a great day and the good company guys . What a terrific group to ride with. No one "up them selves" and every one was made welcome regardless of what you ride or what pace you ride at (even if Tex refered to me as a "back marker"! - no offense taken).

Hope we can do it again soon.

Phil

petermac
05-22-2004, 03:14 AM
Thanks for your company guys . It was great to meet with you all and ride very good roads . Cannot wait for the next one . Regards Peter

Fox
05-23-2004, 04:40 AM
I asked the AF1 guys about letting us have our own forum within this site but knowing they are pretty busy and / or may not want to do this I have started a forum to use in the meantime as we are pretty well trashing the International section now.

It's a 1 month free trial forum so if it gets used we can keep it, if no one cares then it can just drift off.

The address is http://pub84.ezboard.com/bozaprilia4735

Pop in and post!

Mithrandir
05-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Just popping in to say hello from an aussie stuck in the US (Seattle). Next trip back home will be around November for the Snowy ride. Can't wait to get back to the tight twisty roads of Oz!:peace:

RinOz
05-23-2004, 04:02 PM
come back in october for the GP & the snowy ride:D

OZSLR
05-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Fox, the EZboard is a great idea. I have tried it, but it's giving me grief. I have an old account and have even had the log in user name and password emailed to me, but then wont let me in. If I try to set up a new one, it says that I already have an account for that email address.

Will keep trying, and I hope others don't have a similar issue.

Exdukenut
05-23-2004, 08:10 PM
The problem with EZboards are all the pop ups that come down the line. If you want to consistently use it, then some sort of Pop up killer will be required. I for one won't be going there! :mad:

We used to have an Aprilia forum on it, by the way.

Just keep posting up here in the International forum. Who cares whether we are using up all the space here! It doesn't make sense to go off somewhere else, as there are other people (OS people) who are still interested in this Aussie stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth and HO!:)

Fox
05-23-2004, 08:46 PM
I've asked Micah to start an Aussie forum which would be ideal as we can stay in this environment ... if no one supports the ezyboard one then it will just lapse.

If you wanted to set up a Forum like this one (vbulletin.com) it will cost $100 per year.

Leigh did you take any piccys Saturday?

Exdukenut
05-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Sorry Charlie, no pics I'm afraid, as I was in such a hurry to catch up, it sort of slipped my mind, when I left! I had all good intentions to take my camera. Oh well, they'll be days!

Fox
05-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Sorry Charlie, no pics I'm afraid, as I was in such a hurry to catch up, it sort of slipped my mind, when I left! I had all good intentions to take my camera. Oh well, they'll be days!

Did u get the email from my Bro about the Saturday ride? I'm not sure if I will be going but it looks like a nice ride ...

Exdukenut
05-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Sorry mate can't make it to Dave's ride. Funeral to attend in Melbourne this weekend. Everyone else is flying, I'm driving.

But was thinking of maybe doing the Superbike schools trackday at PI on Monday, possibly! Just sounding out the wife, sister and a friend down the road to look after the kids on Tuesday while I come back.

Exdukenut
05-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Any Melbourneians doing the Superbikes' School trackday at PI on Monday?

I'm trying to talk the wife into allowing me to stay another day, and I'll trailer the bike down for the weekend?

Sounding out some babysitters, as we speak as well!

morelli
05-23-2004, 11:58 PM
If you wanted to set up a Forum like this one (vbulletin.com) it will cost $100 per year

You can have my subscription of $10 to contribute towards the set-up if that helps. Preferably on this board so as to keep abreast of what our international brothers are doing and saying.
Sorry, but not interested in Ezboard.

Fox
05-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by morelli
You can have my subscription of $10 to contribute towards the set-up if that helps. Preferably on this board so as to keep abreast of what our international brothers are doing and saying.
Sorry, but not interested in Ezboard.

Well let's hope that Ed and Micah have mercy on us and create an Aussie forum as part of the AF1 site :)

morelli
05-24-2004, 04:23 AM
Any Melbourneians doing the Superbikes' School trackday at PI on Monday

Looks like it's been and gone but just a reminder that Adam Tiberi is organizing an Aprilia ride day this Sunday. Long range forecast is for some fine weather. Worth supporting the effort he goes to. Details below.

Meeting Point: Shell Service Station/McDonalds car park - Plenty Road, Mill Park (approx 4-5km's North of the Western Ring Road) - For those that came along, this is the same meeting point as our inaugural ride.

Meet from 9:30am for a 10:00am departure.

Exdukenut
05-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Monday 31st May is the ride day at PI.

Unlikely to be able to get out Sunday. Family things, and after all the wife is willing to have me spend an extra day in Melbourne, and have a squirt round the Island.

Fox
05-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Sydney Saturday Ride 29th

Not an "official" Aprilia ride - however my brother Dave (Hayabusa) is riding:

"Through the National Park, stop at
Bulli Heights for coffee, then on to Robertson (for the mandatory pie of
course!) via Jamberoo Pass (south of Macquarie pass, not so much traffic).
Then a loop around the back of Robertson and home via Macquarie pass.
Leave Bar Coluzzis (Darlinghurst) at 9am."

You are welcome to join him, I dont expect at this stage to be able to go ...

NorCalRSVR
05-31-2004, 01:29 AM
Hey Fox,
I just tried to PM you and got a "recipients mail box is full" message. Anyway, just let me know what kind of t-shirt you prefer.....I can get pretty much what ever kind you want.....sean

Marshall
06-02-2004, 07:22 PM
What's a second hand fuel tank for a 00' RS 250 worth.

And does anyone have one???

:):aussie: