PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

roman67
08-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Well, just picked up my brand spankin' new CN and I'm very happy . I have not experienced any problems thus far, but only 100 miles so far. I would like to know what people are doing about obtaining a centerstand. It seems the best my dealer here in Chicago can say is that they can look into it, but there are none available so far. I was also not lucky enough to qualify for the free bags and was told the same " we'll look into it" from my dealer. I am not saying my dealer is poor, have had plenty of good things to say about them from my many years of Ducati ownership, but I get the sense they are still Aprilia newbies like me. Can anyone give me some info regarding availability of these items and prices?

mtrionfo
08-27-2002, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the Capo forum. Compared to some other forums, there's not a whole lot of activity here, but what info is posted is usually very useful since we are all basically "new" Capo owners. Also be sure to visit the Caponord Forum at Yahoo Groups, which is made up of many international Capo owners.

Tell us what color is your Caponord? Silver seems to be popular, maybe because it is the easiest to keep clean. :-)

Centerstands have been obtained by a couple of owners thru UK purchases. There is contact info in a prior thread. Latest info from Aprilia USA in Georgia is that centerstands have been delivered and are either in US Customs or possibly already on their way to dealers. Not sure on price though I'll guess it's around $110.

There is also available a European-spec sidestand that was brought over after riders complained about the extreme lean angle of the factory US-spec stand. This optional stand is actually shorter than the US stand, but it's straight, lacking the strange bend of the original. I have one and it's a worthwhile improvement. Cost for the Euro-spec stand was $72.

As for the sidecases, I believe the First 100 promo was filled by around June/July. I bought my Capo in late March and at that time less than half of the promotional bags had been allotted. The bags are large, very well mounted, and can be put on or removed in seconds. Some folks have experienced water leakage in heavy rain, but mine seal very snugly and so have been dry. They also look great! :-)

Good luck with your new Caponord! Keep us posted as you roll up the break-in miles.

Marty - 02 Silver Capo

roman67
08-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Marty,
Thanks for the info. I have found the yahoo forum and agree that it is much more active. Appreciate the centerstand and bags info. As for the color, I went for the Infinity Blue. I would say it looks pretty beautiful. I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date on how things go. Hopefully it will all be good!
Roman
2002 Infinity Blue
Chicago

pseidl
12-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Marty, where did you get the euro spec sidestand ? I just bought a CN and I really don't like US sidestand.
Thanks -- Paul

mtrionfo
12-28-2002, 08:06 PM
The Euro sidestand is available thru your dealer. In the manual it is called a "lateral stand" and is shown as Part #8146187.

Makes a big difference lifting the bike off the sidestand.

Good luck. MT

CAPO4US
12-29-2002, 10:03 AM
INFINITY BLUE...GREAT COLOR :) , the euro side stand is a must, highly recomended. try MOTOTEK IMPORTS, they might be able to help you with the side/centerstand. GIVI can help you with the rear box and taller windscreen. lets see, aprilia makes a lower seat, TOURATECH sells some great stuff , check them out. did i forget anything?
yeh,i did, the capo is a great bike, you'll like it more and more each time you ride it! it keeps me smiling everytime i fire it up!
good luck,
tony

RonS
12-29-2002, 11:19 AM
The center stand is available. When I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, the dealer already had it installed. Call Moto International in Seattle if your looking for one.

pseidl
12-29-2002, 04:25 PM
I checked mototek and touratech imports but I couldn't find the sraight sidestand but I'm sure I'll get one from somewhere.
BTW, I got myself a nero ash CN for christmas and cannot wait to get it on the road.
I'll keep you guys posted
Paul
ash capo

CapoNordTodd
12-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Hi Roman!

You might want to look into Corse Superbikes at www.corsesuperbikes.com (http://www.corsesuperbikes.com) They're a bit over the border into Wisconsin, but I've mail ordered stuff from them, as well as having heard from others that have ridden there. Seems like a real shop.They're near Road America, too. Let's go to the races this summer!

I've also ordered parts from Honda of Milpitas in California. They've been very supportive...I'm pretty sure it's www.hondamil.com (http://www.hondamil.com)

They're both Aprilia dealers.

Great choice on the Infinity Blue :D

t

CapoNordTodd
12-30-2002, 10:21 AM
Hi Marty!

You know, I tried Honda of Milpitas and my local dealer, and they claimed they couldn't get the straighter Euro side stand. Did you get yours from a dealer, or was it a special deal?

I ended up getting mine from On Yer Bike in the UK. I mailed mailto:aftersales@onyerbike.net and they were quite helpful. 60 pounds for the part, and 10 pounds shipping, for a total of US$112

CapoNordTodd
12-30-2002, 04:23 PM
Here's the finished product:

www.caporider.com/Sidestand.shtml (http://www.caporider.com/Sidestand.shtml)

michaelacoan
01-04-2003, 12:17 AM
you say "at that time less than half of the promotional bags had been allotted." what do you mean by promotion? also is there plenty of room for the passanger to move their foot on the pegs when the bags are on?

mtrionfo
01-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Michael - When the Capo was introduced into the US in early 2002 there was a promotion by Aprilia USA that the first 100 Capos sold received the hard bags free. I was lucky enough to be in that group.

As for passenger feet yes there is plenty of room. The bags are good quality and really look sharp on the bike.

MT

michaelacoan
01-04-2003, 08:57 PM
great deal. do you know the size of the bags? they look like 30 liter but i find no information on it.

so do you still like the bike?

mcmess
01-05-2003, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the fold, you are going to LOVE the bike.

Get the Euro Side Stand! It solves the grunt and heave, every-time-you-get-on-the-bike. It ought to be on every Caponord in the US. According to Aprilia US in Georgia, they brought in 70 of the Euro Side Stands so I suspect they feel that way too.

The official story is: "the Dept. of Transportation made them provide the special extra lean stand since the bike could be fitted with panniers." When the panniers are loaded, the extra sag in the suspension required the extra lean. Frankly, I doubt it. I suspect they over reacted to the criticism of a 650 Pegasso test bike blowing over during a Magazine Test.

Well, I love the bike. It solved most of my "I like it buts" on the BMW R1100GS I had previously. I just think Aprilia should send everybody a Euro Stand at no charge and equip future US Capos with the Euro. It would be in Aprilia's best interest. The very first thing a prospective buyer (including our riding buddies) does is sit on a bike. Then they think, WOW, is this thing heavy! BAD first impression. Everyone who has sat on my bike has commented on it. The 2 Capos at the San Mateo Cycle World Bike Show had the Euro Stand, maybe Aprilia has seen the light. Steve Colwell