PDA

View Full Version : Accessories added to Caponord

Bruce Yates
03-17-2003, 06:46 PM
I just posted five different messages over on the Yahoo board (together with corresponding photos in the Photos section there under "Bruce") regarding accessories I just added to my new Caponord. Since I assume most of you frequent that board as well as this one, I won't duplicate the info here. This is just a notification of that info. Here are the things added/discussed in those posts:

- Givi tall windscreen
- Motolights (auxiliary lighting)
- Hyperlites (for rear conspicuity)
- HotGrips
- Throttlemeister
- Rich's custom seat
- Aprilia centerstand & Euro sidestand
- Aprilia tankbag for Capo
- Aprilia saddlebags for Capo
- Garmin Streetpilot GPS on RAM mount
- Valentine 1 radar detector
- Autocomm communication system

Bruce Yates
Bellevue, WA (just outside Sunny Seattle)
'02 psycho red Caponord
'00 BMW K1200LT

roman67
03-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Bruce,
Do you have stock CN bars? If so which model or part number # did you order regarding the hot grips? Do they work well? Better than strips? It gets cold here in Chicago.
Thanks,
Roman
2002 Infinity Blue
Chicago8o

Bruce Yates
03-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Roman,

Yes, I have stock bars. I had the dealer (Cascade BMW in Kirkland, WA) order and install the HotGrips, so I'll have to check as to exactly which ones they used. I'll let you know.

FWIW, they said there are two versions of HotGrips -- the "old" and the "new". As I recall the "old" version cost around $80-$90 and the "new cost more like $120. Supposedly the difference is that the new ones have better insulation to prevent heat from being sucked into the bars (i.e., away from your hands). I figured if I was going to all that trouble, I'd get the "new"/better ones, which I would surely do if I lived in the Windy City! Can't comment on the strips question, as I've never used them.

As an aside, I;ve gotta mention that HotGrips recently started selling their own gloves specifically designed for heated grips - thick insulation on the back, but just leather on the underside. Not only a great idea, but they're very well made, waterproof, and (get this!) only $35 a pair! Can't beat that! So whether you buy their grips or not, I highly recommend their gloves for ANY kind of heated grips! Here's a link to them: www.hotgrips.com/gloves.html (http://www.hotgrips.com/gloves.html)

Bruce

RonS
03-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Of the items you mention, I've got:

- Givi tall windscreen
- Aprilia centerstand & Euro sidestand
- Aprilia tankbag for Capo
- Aprilia saddlebags for Capo

I'm not using the Aprilia tank bag as I did not like it. I'm using a Marsee instead. If anyone wants the bag, it can be had cheap.

As far as the wind screen, I still get buffeting. On the Futura I had before, my head was in clear air and I had no buffeting. I'm thinking about cutting the Givi down to about 3 inches lower than the stock screen so that my head is back in clear air.

Other items I've added to mine:

- Givi E-52 tail trunk
- Passport 8500 radar detector
- Garmin Street Pilot on Touratech mount.
- cross bar to mount the Street Pilot and radar detector on. I bought a set of ATV handle bars and removed the cross bar to install on the stock Aprilia bars. Cost about $35.
- Wrap around grip heaters.
- Touratech radiator and oil cooler protectors. Anodized in red
- Staintunes pipes (sounds much better).
- Various Jastek wiring components.
- Autocomm (Pro 7) on its way from the UK.

Things left to do:

- A CB to patch into the autocomm for bike to bike and scouting report from the truckers. I'm thinking about the Midland model 85822. Any feedback on it?

- Maybe a seat from Rich's.

Bruce Yates
03-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Ron,

Before cutting your Givi down (although that might work to get your head back in clean air and still get the body protection of the wider Givi), have you considered trying a Laminar Lip? Might help smooth out the buffetting...

I think you'll really like the Autocomm system. I've been using it for over two years on my other bike, and it is a very nice system, once you get it adjusted to the proper sensitivity (which can take awhile - it's NOT as easy as you'd expect). I can't give you input on CBs, since the guys I ride with all use FRS. But I think your decision to go CB is a good one. If I had it to do over again... ;-)

RonS
03-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Bruce:
Before cutting your Givi down (although that might work to get your head back in clean air and still get the body protection of the wider Givi), have you considered trying a Laminar Lip? Might help smooth out the buffetting...

I've thought about it, but the other problem I have with the tall screen is that it acts like a sail if there is any wind. From bikes I've had in the past I've noticed that if the wind hits just below the top of the sholders the ride is a lot smother.

Bruce Yates
03-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Ron writes: >the other problem I have with the tall screen is that it acts like a sail if there is any wind <

I was riding in vicious winds the other day, and felt mostly like *I* was the sail - the bike seemed very solid. Maybe you just need to put on a few pounds (got a Krispy Kreme nearby?). :lol:

Bruce Yates
03-19-2003, 03:40 PM
Roman,

I asked my local Aprilia dealer (Cascade in Kirkland, WA, who ordered and installed them for me) which HotGrip it is, and here's the info and a link that he gave me. You might want to call HotGrips and confirm this before ordering. Also, bear in mind that these were ordered to go with a Throttlemeister, so that might have affected the ones they used. Apparently, Cascade's parts manager called and they figured out what he needed, so they didn't get an invoice with a specific part #.

At any rate, apparently the HotGrips they used are the 4.75" grips, 7/8" left grip (1" right grip) kit shown on the link below, part #475-875 "external wire". Note that to put the "heavy" Throttlemeister on, the HotGrips need to be bored for the bar end weights.

hotgrips.com/dimensions.html (http://hotgrips.com/dimensions.html)

Hope that helps. If they tell you this is the right part# for the Capo with or without the Throttlemeister, please post that info so others will know as well.

Bruce

diddikai
03-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi Guys:

An alternate source: I talked to Riders Warehouse (Aerostich) yesterday-- they have ONE PAIR! in stock the 4.75" x 7/8" open-ended Hotgrips (for bal end weights). I believe the price was $105.

cheers

Peter

Bruce Yates
03-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Peter,

That sounds like a good deal -- anybody buying them should just make sure they're the "new" style rather than the "old" style, since apparently the old ones don't heat nearly as efficiently (due to insulation or something like that).

Bruce

NorthCape02
03-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Hi All,
This is my first post on this site. Been checking is about once a week, happy to see its getting more active, Iíll need to check it more often.

I feel like the poor boy, but hereís my list of accessories:

1. Aprilia saddlebags for Caponord, mine was one of the first 100 US bikes, so these were free.
Only had these on one time, thereíre just too wide at an axe handle and a cubit for
commuting.
2. Vista Cruise Universal Throttle Lock.
3. License plate frame with light bar, a little more light to the rear.
4. Center Stand
5. Helmet Holder available from: www.lockitt.com/accessori...olders.htm (http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_helmet_holders.htm)
Attaches to the license plate, not really a lock, but it looks like one.
6. Er-Max windshield, works well, installation was a pain (holes were drilled wrong).
7. Power Commander, had a bad coil, but Aprilia convinced me it was a mapping problem.
8. Tail Rack bag, V-STROM, Caponord 055-1210 from Touratech
9. Fork springs WIRTH (Caponord) 040-0462 also from Touratech, on backorder, should receive
in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Colin

yumanord
03-31-2003, 10:06 PM
Ron-- If you're interested in getting rid of your tank bag email me at olafiowa@hotmail.com.

Jim

wstrauser
04-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi Bruce, I just got a great deal on an "02" Caponord in silver and I'm loving it. Looking at upgrades, I'd like to get the euro side stand and center stand for the bike. Please let me know of any resources you have for parts and accesories. I've found a get site at todd@caporider.com very informative and helpful. I'm just getting in to this type of bike (having been a sport bike rider most of my life) and am still feeling my way through the "touring" aspects of riding. Like camping on two wheels, I'm slowly prepping the bike for trips. I think side and tank bags are next. I appreciate any input anyone may have- It's nice to be in this club!
Woody - silver 02 Capo

Bruce Yates
04-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Woody,

Welcome, and congrats on your new Capo! I don't know where you bought your Capo, but any Aprilia dealer should be able to order the Euro sidestand and centerstand for you, as well as the Capo-specific saddlebags and tankbag (which I think look nicer than after-market ones). If you're over 6 ft tall, I'd also consider getting the GIVI tall windshield, which offers significantly more wind protection for touring.

I personally like establishing a good relationship with one dealer, and buying as much stuff from them as possible. If you line up as many of these initial accessories as possible, and buy them all at once (especially if it's from the same dealer you have install them), I think you can probably get some sort of package discount - at least 10% or so.

If you don't have an Aprilia dealer anywhere nearby to do that, and you live in the USA, I have high regard for both Aprilia dealers here in the Seattle area: Cascade BMW/Aprilia - www.cascadebmw.com - and Moto Int'l. You might contact both of them and see what kind of deal they'll give you on all the stuff you want.

HTH,
Bruce Yates
Sunny Seattle