PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Capacity / Fuel Range

diddikai
03-17-2003, 08:09 AM
The Caponord spec calls out a 6.6 gal tank.:D I am now on my third tank. The first two were replaced under warranty after being measured by the tech at my dealer, at about 5.3 gal. :mad: Aprilia USA seems to have given up on supplying me with a tank that conforms to specification. Apparently, they "reserve the right to change the specification at any time". Yet, they have not changed the published spec. What gives? I run out of gas (as I have a few times with different tanks) at about 205 miles. Is any one out there getting better range? Does <span style="text-decoration:underline"><em>anyone</em></span> have a 6.6 gal tank?

I do understand that manufacturers "puff up" these numbers, just a tad. But 1.3 gallons is a lot!

Please ring in with your fuel tank volumes/range. Thanks all.

roman67
03-17-2003, 08:37 PM
The tank capacity is 6.6 gallons with the reserve included. The reserve is supposedly 1.32 gallons. Just yesterday my reserve light went on and I filled my tank to the top with 4.89 gallons showing on the pump. So i guess that would be 6.21 gallons total. The manual gives a +/- of 0.26 gallons of reserve error. So at best that would give me 6.46 gallons, or at worst 5.95 gallons. Definitely not the 6.6 gallons advertised. I hope this helps.

Roman
2002 Infinity Blue
Chicago8o

diddikai
03-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the comment, Roman. Just to clarify, when I ran out of gas, (I coasted down an off-ramp and YES, right into a gas station), the original tank took about 5.3 gallons, to the brim, so the tank was effectively "missing" the reserve!

roman67
03-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Did Aprilia offer you any other explanation other than "we reserve the right to change specs"? Where did your reserve go? 1.32 gallons seems like alot to be missing.

Roman
2002 Infinity Blue
Chicago8o

diddikai
03-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Aprilia USA seemed to be as surprised as I was that the tank was short about 1.3 gallons. Initially, they were responsive and cooperative, and offered a replacement tank. The second tank turned out to be the same size as the first. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the second tank, and it "imploded" while I was riding the bike when the fuel pump pulled a vaccuum. That required a third replacement tank, by which time Aprilia USA and I were not getting along very well-- the bike was off the road for about two and a half months waiting for parts! I think Aprilia, the dealer, and myself had all come to the conclusion by that time, that the actual tank size was 5.2 to 5.4 gallons, based on the three tanks measured by my dealer. Since Aprilia didn't appear to be able to fix my problem, they came up with the "we reserve the right to change our specs" statement. I thought that was a bit shabby.

So, I put the bike on consignment sale at my dealer's. Then, four months later, I discoverd that my dealer also had a falling out with Aprilia, and was abandoning the dealership. He was offering new bikes $2k less than I was asking for my used one! So I decided to make the best of it and hang on to the bike, which I plan to ride from San Francisco to Toronto in April. Problem is, I bought a BMW GS Adventure while the CN was up for sale, and now I have too many big "dual purpose" machines.

cheers

Peter

silvercapo
03-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Are you filling with the bike on the center stand, or on the side stand? This alone will not explain the difference, though, as I have noticed a difference of only 2- 3 tenths of a gallon between the two. Just curious. It has been a while since I ran the bike to the low level warning, but I think my bike takes a little more than five gallons (on the center stand) at this level - which should put me at somewhat better than a six gallon capacity. I will check this more closely at the first opportunity - but I don't think that I will be trying to run it empty any time soon... :)

Jack
Silver Capo 02
Pensacola, FL

diddikai
03-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Jack,

I just recently put a centerstand on the bike. Previously, I was filling on the side stand. I did prop the bike vertically a few times, just to see the difference. I agree with you that it is only 0.1 - 0.2 gal.

If you are putting much more than 5 gal into the tank just after the light comes on, then maybe there is hope yet!

I think the easiest way to know whether a particular tank is smaller than spec is to drive around with a one-gallon spare on the back until you run out!

cheers

Peter

vtxhead
03-27-2003, 02:26 PM
...check out the hoses leading up to the tank, my Futura had the hoses backwards and I was not getting the use of the reserve fuel, so ran out alot sooner than supposed to and also filled up less than specified.

my 0.02cents

VTXHEAD:cool:

silvercapo
04-06-2003, 10:25 AM
I ran my tank to the low level warning yesterday, pulled in at the next station (about 10 miles/.25 gallon) and pumped 5.3 gallons into the tank (bike on centerstand). Add that to the reserve, and allow for the air space at the top of the tank (which looks to me to be significant) and I think that 6.6 gallons is probably the correct volume of the tank. I would estimate usable fuel capacity to be on the order of 6.2 - 6.3 gallons. The handbook warns against filling (or overfilling) past the rubber/plastic insert in the fuel filler. This appears to me to allow a fair amount of air space in the top of the tank. I wonder if your tech erred in measuring the tank. I hope others will add to this thread.

Jack
Silver Capo 02
Pensacola, FL

roman67
04-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Jack,
As I replied earlier above, I've been getting around 6.2 gallons per fill with the reserve included. It seems we are both getting about the same. Not the 6.6 gallons listed, but certainly not the 5.3 reported by Peter. Hope this helps.
Oh yeah, just figured out how to add a picture.Though it's slightly small, you can still make out my baby.:D

silvercapo
04-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Hey, Roman - seems like we are in agreement on the fuel tanks. My other bikes have been the same, in that listed capacity is usually different than what you get at the pump. I don't feel that Aprilia has mis-represented the specs - especially when you take unusable volume into account.

Take care,

Jack