PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak up top

Narcosis
02-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Came back from running some errands around town and noticed a stream of oil running down the left side of the engine. Traced it back up to the top end of the motor and noticed all the wires and hoses under the tank are covered in oil/gunk. The TB is pretty soaked too. It didn't look like the oil was coming from the head gaskets or valve covers, but hard to tell without removing the tank. Any ideas?

Bike has extended warranty on it, but not sure if it covers something like an oil leak from a hose or gasket.

Thanks

mini_me
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Check the crankcase breather tube going from lhs rear cylinder to underside airbox.

Tifa
02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
If you've overfilled it, it will blow the surplus oil into the airbox.

Narcosis
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Check the crankcase breather tube going from lhs rear cylinder to underside airbox.

This was it. I pulled up the tank and the first thing I saw was the breather tube disconnected from the airbox. Even better is this picture of my air filter. I've had this bike for about four months and was told it was newly serviced. I call BS on that, can you say Yellow Jackets?! Air filter was totally clogged with dirt.