PDA

View Full Version : Owner to be motorbike n00b, can haz advice?

Dwoodsky
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Getting my RS50 the 9th of next month, it'll be an 04 or 05 model as le father is currently deciding with his mechanic friend
Should be restricted as it goes through the mechanics hands before I get it but if not how much would that cost to buy and install/have installed (for the 16yo UK moped license 31mph xx-Kw output etc)
I'm going to keep it restricted, as bad as doing 30 max sounds I don't want it taken away/crushed for a little extra power.
Also any advice and tips for me would be greatly appreciated.:worship:
Thanks,
Dwood.

RS_Patrick
02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
04 or 05 doesnt matter, that one year makes no difrence and there exactly the same, just the colour scheme is difrent.

Hardcastle95
02-14-2012, 05:30 AM
a 16yo who wants it restriced?! mental

Ryan.s
02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Have fun going 31 mph everywhere. So safe when your driving in a 40/50 zone.

RS_Patrick
02-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Dont think they impound it for doing 40mph also in the UK, you just get a fine if anything.

Dwoodsky
02-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Been told from a family friend in the police that it's counted as void insurance and no license, resulting in penalties for both and confiscation of the bike, the police where I live have very little to do and have a habit of pulling people over for pretty much no reason. Plus unless I gear it up with snazzy exhaust and engine mods etc it isn't going to do more than 10-15mph extra, and I'll only be using it for around town and stuff and maybe zipping up to the moors to play around on the corners etc with mates so no point spending a load of money on it, (which according to various posts here I'll never get back) risking losing it and getting various penalties.
I get told I'm overly mature COUGHboringassh!tCOUGH :/

Mardoch
02-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Better to play by the rules until you're fully licensed. Then you can do whatever the hell you want. Of course, you're likely to pay for it.

Ryan.s
02-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Been told from a family friend in the police that it's counted as void insurance and no license, resulting in penalties for both and confiscation of the bike, the police where I live have very little to do and have a habit of pulling people over for pretty much no reason. Plus unless I gear it up with snazzy exhaust and engine mods etc it isn't going to do more than 10-15mph extra, and I'll only be using it for around town and stuff and maybe zipping up to the moors to play around on the corners etc with mates so no point spending a load of money on it, (which according to various posts here I'll never get back) risking losing it and getting various penalties.
I get told I'm overly mature COUGHboringassh!tCOUGH :/

Thats not entirely correct... If the de-restriction is done by an aprillia dealer then your allright. I looked into it in great detail as my parents are like you are now. Plus, with it de-restricted. Depending on your size, i got 55-60 out of it which is 25/30mph more. If im honest, its safer to have abit of power to get out of a situation rather then not. But, all to their own. Your get bored of the speed :]

williamr
02-21-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm split on this. As the rules stand, keep it restricted. Anyone who deliberately voids his insurance should suffer a severe penalty. Death is OK by me.

Doesn't matter who does the derestriction. If it can exceed 31 mph it's no longer a moped. It becomes a light motorcycle. If you're 16 you can't ride it and your insurance is void. If you're 17, get the DVLA to alter the V5 and it's perfectly legal.

There are greater risks with the restricted 'ped, but the real danger comes from the lack of grunt which applies almost as much to the derestricted bike. You'll learn more about reading and anticipating traffic with the restriction, and this will make you a smoother and faster rider when you eventually get on to an unrestricted big bike. The major difficulty (not really risk) is right turns across the traffic, especially if you're also going up hill. If you can ride a pushbike on the roads you'll be OK.

I'd prefer 40 mph and the ability to do 30 mph up a 10% percent gradient for a first bike, but that's not what the rules allow us.

Rob

Dwoodsky
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Williamr has the right idea, thanks,
My question was, aside from restrictions, more aimed at getting ownership advice though, your opinions on my choice to obey the law aren't fully helpful, though they were goo food for thought.
Some tips? :S

RS_Patrick
02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Read through the forum... a lot of things are awnsered in there, theres to many things i can think of to give advice on, or come up with questions on specific things you want to know.

So a random "any tips" question gets a yes from me, but you wont get an awnser to that, because i still be typing here than tomorrow morning :p:

Ryan.s
02-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm split on this. As the rules stand, keep it restricted. Anyone who deliberately voids his insurance should suffer a severe penalty. Death is OK by me.

Doesn't matter who does the derestriction. If it can exceed 31 mph it's no longer a moped. It becomes a light motorcycle. If you're 16 you can't ride it and your insurance is void. If you're 17, get the DVLA to alter the V5 and it's perfectly legal.

There are greater risks with the restricted 'ped, but the real danger comes from the lack of grunt which applies almost as much to the derestricted bike. You'll learn more about reading and anticipating traffic with the restriction, and this will make you a smoother and faster rider when you eventually get on to an unrestricted big bike. The major difficulty (not really risk) is right turns across the traffic, especially if you're also going up hill. If you can ride a pushbike on the roads you'll be OK.

I'd prefer 40 mph and the ability to do 30 mph up a 10% percent gradient for a first bike, but that's not what the rules allow us.

Rob

Tbh i thought of all people you would agree... Youve been riding for years and im sure you know how dangerous it actually is being on a bike. So why give advice saying if you get it de-restricted "death is ok with you" When mine was restricted i could barely go 20mph up a hill (no im not fat, light as hell) Its safer to be going 30mph+ up the hill rather then some shitty car driver right up your arse?

RS_Patrick
02-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Well, mines fully stock and wont even make it to 25mph, i almost got killed the other week wen a semitruck with a trailer passed me on a road near my house that has a center devider and a lot of bends in it, almost ended up under the trailer because he passed me right before a bend in the road, if i had not slammed on the brakes i would have gotten between the trailer and the curb wich probably would have been the end of me.

And than theres the idiots that dont overtake but stick at 3 feet on your rear wheel...

I dont think the cops will have any problem with your bike if it can do ~35mph, with that speed you can get along in 30mph zones.

williamr
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Tbh i thought of all people you would agree... Youve been riding for years and im sure you know how dangerous it actually is being on a bike. So why give advice saying if you get it de-restricted "death is ok with you" When mine was restricted i could barely go 20mph up a hill (no im not fat, light as hell) Its safer to be going 30mph+ up the hill rather then some shitty car driver right up your arse?

Simple answer. If you derestrict your insurance is potentially void.

If you'd read my post you'd see what I'd prefer in terms of minimum performance for a first bike for a 16 year old, but that isn't what we have to work with. I'd actually prefer to see you on a 4-stroke (so it's difficult to get more power) 15 bhp 125, and I argued that with the government when the current rules were first introduced before you were born.

If you lose control, perhaps through no fault of your own, and break a pedstrian's back, your insurance company will pay his damages, but will then try to recover the money from you. A debt of potentially several million pounds will make you wish you were dead. Bankruptcy is almost as bad as your credit and ability to borrow is screwed for a very long time. That's quite apart from any possible legal sanction.

The restricted 'ped isn't really much more dangerous and will help you develop your potential as rider. It isn't worth taking the risk in transforming a very slow bike bike into a not quite as slow bike for the year you'll be riding it. For the record, over the years I've had a few accidents, but I've never had one on a bike smaller than 250cc, even commuting nearly 30 miles each way into the centre of Manchester on a Honda 90 cub and a Suzuki 50cc Step through. The 90cc cub, btw - with a top speed on the flat of about 40 mph on a good day, was about 2 minutes slower coming home in heavy traffic than the XJ 900 I used as well. The 50 (40 mph on a steep downhill) was about 5 minutes slower. For the ride in in the early morning I'll admit that the 50 was about 35 minutes slower than the XJ though.

Rob

RS_Patrick
03-01-2012, 06:27 AM
There not gonna give you a hard time with the insurance if it runs 35mph, that just means parrtialy removing the restrictions and the pipe and slightly up jetting it, most 50's sold to day run 35mph from the factory.

If they make you drive on the road its safer that you can get along with trafic, than having a bunch of impatient car drivers behind you or idiots overtaking you reclessly.

I could could live with 30mph, if it would also accelerate prety quick to that speed, but right now mine doesnt even do 25mph and takes a really long time to get from 20 to 25mph + there are some slight hills here where it drops back to 20mph going up them, and going down hill i still dont get near 30mph :( and i have to drive on the road while a lot of the streets on my town are single lane with a central devider so theres not much room to overtake for a normal car, but the really problem starts wen trucks try to overtake you and theres a lot of them here since theres a small industrail area and a marina in the middle of town near the lakes shoreline.

So ive had enough and defenatly going to fit a bigger carb and the giannelli exhaust back on, they can not fine me aslong as it cant do more than 40mph (max allouwed speed for 50cc + mesurment correction for the dyno)

williamr
03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
As the regs seem to define a 'ped mainly by its top speed I see no problem with increasing power for acceleration and hill climbing and using a rev limiter too keep the spped to the legal limit. Insurers will probably be happy with that.

Patrick - I really don't understand why you insist on riding a 50 instead of getting something a little bigger if you hate the legally limited 'ped so much.

Rob

RS_Patrick
03-09-2012, 08:33 AM
I hate mine as it is fully stock, it came with a 9mm carb and seriously lacks power, luckly i tweaked my cilinder a little so i got more power at really low RPM's where it normaly would have stalled out otherwise.

I had a bigger bike (600cc) but the RS50 is way more fun to drive, thats why i said in my other thread that i might just get a motorcycle licence and get the bike registered as a motorcycle.

electronic rev limiters are no good to permanently limit these bikes, not good for the ignition system on these bikes, and it can blow the seals on the engine if you run it with the limiter active for a while.

best to get the bike to run a little faster and fit a smaller front sprocket or bigger rear sprocket to cut the speed and increase acceleration.