PDA

View Full Version : Radiator pinholes

manxkipper
02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
The rad on my 09 reg T has developed some tiny pinholes in part of the core. I assume the radiator is an alloy unit so it appears that the holes are a result of corrosion. Bike has only done 13000km. Seems to be BS that a radiator would develop leaks with such low mileage. Bike is kept clean and garaged so should not have been a result of corrosion. The holes appear to be in the inner side of the core and therefore not from stone chips. All I see is a very fine spray on the area behind the rad - water level has not gone down.

Looks like a new unit is the only option as one cannot repair these. Bit of a bummer!

kzmille
02-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Who says it cannot be repaired.

manxkipper
02-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Our local dealers. The theory is that an alloy radiator with crimped ends cannot be repaired.

kzmille
02-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I would talk to speciality radiator repair shops and not your local dealer.

I'd bet these guys could fix it:

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/newshop/index.php

Bigralphie
02-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Is the correct anti freeze being used ?, I have had alloy rads soldered before

rmcobb
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Have you replaced the clamps? If not, make sure its not a bad clamp and leaking at one of the hose connections.

manxkipper
02-08-2012, 02:13 AM
It is definitely coming from the core. Looks like its under the edge of the left fan cowling. At this stage its just a fine spray as the watewr level in the radiator has not dropped. One can see the fine droplets on the silver radiator connector pipe running from the left radiator outlet. As to the correct antifreeze - I have no idea how to check as the agent would have refilled at service. I assume the incorrect antifreeze may cause internal corrosion. Once i have removed the radiator from the bike i will be able to see whether the fan cowling has scored the radiator.

nsrrider
02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
my 08 had the same thing.......the best radiator shop in the area said they could not repair w/o losing some capacity.......fortunately, new one is not that expensive....

ChrisE
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I've had KTM dirt bike radiators repaired by these guys, pretty reasonable, of course you say your location is Cape Town, is that South Africa?

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/newshop/index.php?route=information/contact

manxkipper
02-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Sure is!

TheX
02-14-2012, 05:12 AM
I've had my 1098S radiator fixed and it worked great. The shop found the holes and prepped the area, then put the radiator under negative pressure and used an epoxy just for this purpose to form a plug. Since it's being pulled in it formed a mushroom shape on both sides and sealed just fine. I put another 10,000 miles on it without issue.