PDA

View Full Version : hello !!!

apriliamandan
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi guys
Just joined this forum :) Anyways alittle intro !!
im Dan and live in cambridgeshire. Im 14 years old and my whole life revolves around motorbikes from any age and any type!! Probs my fathers fault as at one point he had 12 motorbikes !! Dont know if anyones interested but his latest project is a motoguzzi lemans mk1...pretty mental.;)
Anyways.....just bought a 2005 aprilia rs 50 with 20k on the clock! yes i know...im 14...nearly 15.
It needs a total strip down and needs attension the the swing arm area as its red rust lol. Other then that it needs bearing in both wheels and a good strip down and clean as you could imagine....typical 16 yr old before me :/

I have a few Q's though ;

Its got a arrow system on it but stock main jet. What size is the original jet and what will i need size wise?? Up 10 ???
Also how long do these engines last if treated correctly?? 30,000 miles???

I will get some pics up soon.

Many thanks

Dan. :)

Ps anyone wanna shair some pics of em??

RS_Patrick
01-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Guess you missed this in the Off Topic section: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?13725-Members-gallery!

This is the Project Section, we also got a Tech Section for your technical questions.

Anyway you need a mainjet between 85 and 90, if i where you i start of with a 86, usualy i find thats the right one.
Its also recomended to swap the stock reeds for 0.25mm carbon reeds.

20k is a lot if its Miles, even if its KiloMeters, you are gonna be looking at a complete engine rebuild soon.

These engines last 15.000 to 25.000km witdepending on the fluids used and the driver with out even needing a new piston, but also seen engines that where totaly worn out by just 10.000km and needed a complete rebuild and in a lot of cases even needed parts replaced because they been abjused by there owners who couldnt shift normaly :p:

apriliamandan
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah sorry i should of looked first. :/
Thanks for the jet size info very helpful.
Its done 25,000 kilometers but looking at previous mot's etc i have seen somewhere that it was reccomended the piston is replaced at 16K, however i have not been told that it was so im unsure. I must say though it runs dead smoothly and no bottom end rattle like some 2 strokes so im happy with the bottom end. It picks up instantly and sounds so crisp under throttle.
I have a few plans to personalise it. 1 being to fit a mono seat like the one thats ur dp....looks ace !! Not interested in these twin can systems that i hvae seen....the extra weight on such a low powered bike must cripple it right???
Any suggestions on small details?? I also fitted stainless bolts on the rear sprocket...looks really good.

Cheers

RS_Patrick
02-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Twin Endcan pipes are just for looks not performance.

If i where you i try to keep it as original looking as posible, with a monotail section maybe.

Since your only 14 i would take the whole enginhe apart and rebuilt it fitting new bearings (C3) and seals and maybe adding parts like a Topperfomances 6th gear and if the gear roller doesnt look to mint anymore replace that also with a TP Ergal version.
Race Crank like a Doppler ER1 wil give you a slight performance increase even if you leave everything stock, and can easly take a big bore or fast 50cc kit with out any problems.

Anyway, you got any pictures of the bike it self?

apriliamandan
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
yeah im looking into a engine rebuild although it sounds so sweet. Also money is an issue at my age :(
Think your right about keeping it stock so i can sell it easily and then buy a cagiva mito 125 :)
The mono rear ends look so nice and "race rep style". Just painted the hooter and around the rear shock so thats looking nice :)
Yeah will get some pics of 'her' when i get the fairing back on and exhaust painted.
Cheers