PDA

View Full Version : Tuono ECU disconnect warning

falcodoug
01-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Problem with bike. Warning triagle and then ECU disconnect on display. Bike stopped running. Towed home and next day bike started up. Any clues from the crew here would be helpfull.

nick2ono
01-04-2012, 03:49 AM
check the ecu connectors underneath the passenger seat...
also check the display connector. to do so you have to disassemble the front fairing.

Tifa
01-04-2012, 05:03 AM
What he said.

Failing that, there is the possibility of a dry joint on one of the pins inside the ecu, or a broken connector/wire in the loom.

amauri
01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
There is a Tech Bulletin from Aprilia describing that exact symptom on the V2 Tuono.
The bulletin goes into great detail on how to diagnose and correct it.

Basically, a connection issue at the ECU as already stated above.

Here's a clip & paste of some wording on the bulletin:

CAUSES: Disconnection may occur as a result of data transmission loss between the ECU and the instrument panel, as the instrument panel plays an active function in vehicle management for this motorcycle. The error may be caused by a connection failure with the CAN line or by a lack of power to the ECU.

The CAN line connection to the instrument panel is constantly verified by connector B on the ECU. There are two wires in the connector: a white/black wire at ref. 36 and an orange wire at ref. 26.
The connector to the instrument panel may be disconnected after detaching the instrument panel.
The instrument panel cannot be diagnosed and repaired and must therefore be replaced in the event of malfunction. In the event of replacement, the pervious immobiliser code (if set) must be noted.

The bulletin also talks about checking the white connector under the passenger seat that feeds 12v to the 30A fuses.

I can't post the entire bulletin here because it is proprietary info that Aprilia only distributes to authorized dealers.
It is not a simple step by step for the inexperienced, it requires electronics troubleshooting skills and special tools to do the job.

Sikorsky
01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
I had the same problem last year.

The troubleshooting included:
1) Checking relays under the nose and the LH tail piece.
2) Checking ALL grounds.
3) Cleaning the ECU connectors.
4) Checking and cleaning pretty well every electrical connector on the bike.

I eventually traced it to a loose wire in the loom that enters the underside of the ignition key area. It was taken apart and re-soldered.

Gooduck.

falcodoug
01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Thank you all for your input. Will get to opening up things this weekend. Will post findings. Best regards, Doug

Raakile
01-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I eventually traced it to a loose wire in the loom that enters the underside of the ignition key area. It was taken apart and re-soldered.

+1.

If the error disappears, try turning the handle bar to either extreme and see if you can re-produce the error.

falcodoug
01-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you all for your help with this, well it seems like a bad wire connection.

falcodoug
01-06-2012, 12:07 AM
O.K. Raakile, your on to something. I tried turning the bars when the ECU prompt was not there and then it returned. Notice that if I dont move the bars when the screen is normal it seems fine. Perhaps it's in the ignition switch where the wires go in under it. I don't think I can ride it without moving the bars :bangwall:

Sikorsky
01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I found mine by leaving the key in the on position and just wiggling parts of the loom. Eventually the fuel pump sparked up and I narrowed it down from there.

Raakile
01-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Yeah, mine started with the ECU disconnect warning, luckily it happened just outside of the dealer's garage. I could immediately present the error to the mechanic. Once that was "fixed" (or so everyone thought), soon I noticed the dash started switching off while turning the bars to either extreme.
It was some loose connection at the ignition and since it was fixed I've had no bigger issues.
I do have to add that sometimes the dash switches off or "reboots" at first startup. I'm not bothered by it though.

falcodoug
01-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Sikorsky, that is exactly how I am locating it. Getting closer.

falcodoug
01-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get the bottom off of this switch to check the wiring? Do I just remove the two screws? 181814

TRon
01-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Yes just remove the screws and then carefully take of the bottom. watchout of the tabs they brake easily.

Sikorsky
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Bingo.....that's the item! Easily taken apart.

falcodoug
05-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Long story, gave up,
asked Amauri to repair it, He did, in the mean time I wrecked my other bike and am just cast free tonight. Going riding tomorrow.

g00gl3it
04-28-2015, 12:17 AM
FYI, I had this issue with the ignition wires - here was my fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQtjGJnT0M

BBear
10-22-2018, 09:55 PM
There is a Tech Bulletin from Aprilia describing that exact symptom on the V2 Tuono.
The bulletin goes into great detail on how to diagnose and correct it.

CAUSES: Disconnection may occur as a result of data transmission loss between the ECU and the instrument panel, as the instrument panel plays an active function in vehicle management for this motorcycle. The error may be caused by a connection failure with the CAN line or by a lack of power to the ECU.

The CAN line connection to the instrument panel is constantly verified by connector B on the ECU. There are two wires in the connector: a white/black wire at ref. 36 and an orange wire at ref. 26.
The connector to the instrument panel may be disconnected after detaching the instrument panel.
The instrument panel cannot be diagnosed and repaired and must therefore be replaced in the event of malfunction. In the event of replacement, the pervious immobiliser code (if set) must be noted.

The bulletin also talks about checking the white connector under the passenger seat that feeds 12v to the 30A fuses.

This feels like going down the rabbit hole...

jess67
10-22-2018, 10:23 PM
"The error may be caused by a connection failure with the CAN line or by a "LACK OF POWER TO THE ECU".
More than likely the connector in your other thread.