PDA

View Full Version : Keep low beam on while high beam is on

grizzlymann
01-03-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm about to order a set of HID headlights for my low and high beams. Has anyone figured out how to keep the low beam on while the high beam is on? Just trying to avoid the quick black out when switching between them. Ideally would be to keep the active beam on for a few seconds when switching lo/hi or hi/lo if that's possible.

ChrisE
01-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I put DDM Tuning HID's in my Honda Goldwing (35W/5000K) in both high and low beams. The setup is similar to the Tuono, except Goldwing's low beams stay on. I found that the high beam HID's did not add much of an advantage . The low beams were night and day better (no pun intended) over the OEM halogens.

The problem with the high beams was the beam pattern was very narrow and concentrated, but that may be due to the reflector shape.

So my suggestion to you, do the low beams and put a relay in to trigger the low beams directly from the battery. The relay trigger will come off the high beam lead on the headlight connector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRZDoEuWgU

Volfy
01-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Problem with HID on the High beam is that even the best system takes a few seconds to "warm up" before maximum brightness is achieved. Most street applications of high beam are somewhat short-duration in nature, so the slow ramp-up of brightness can be a problem. If you are okay with that, then go for it. The best cure for this is bi-zenon pods that use a shield that blocks/unblocks the upper beam pattern for high beam. The retrofit can be done, but is quite a bit more involved than a simple bulb change.

Most OEM headlights give real estate priority to low beams, since they are used far more than the high beams. This unfortunately means the high beams often suffer from small reflector area and/or poor design. I notice this in both cars and bikes. Higher intensity light source helps somewhat, but if the reflector design is poor to begin with, the improvement will be limited.

ChrisE
01-03-2012, 12:31 PM
There is a slight delay for the high beams, as can be seen in my video, watch the two outer lights, they are the high beams. They come on at about 80% output and go to 100% in about 3 seconds. When warm, that lag is barely noticeable.

That 80% is still much brighter than my OEM halogens.

NeverlosT
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I wish someone made an HID kit for the tuono that replaced the stock reflectors with a projector system.

Its an interesting point about the useage ratio and the amount of reflector real estate dedicated to each beam.

Volfy
01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
ChrisE, it appears you were switching the high beams on and off. That probably allows the bulbs to stay somewhat warm, so the intensity rises faster. I notice that to be case on all my HID headlights, whether aftermarket or OEM. On complete cold start on a cold night, however, all of them take a while to warm up. In any case, it yours are working out for you, then more power to you... candlepower, that is.;) I can see how a full-on tourer like the Goldwing can really make use of the HID highbeam.

Low beam HID conversion is a must for just about every car/motocycle, IMHO.