PDA

View Full Version : About that Panigale...

TheX
12-27-2011, 06:01 PM
When I went from the 1098S to the RSV4 Factory it was supposed to hold me over till the Panigale was a year old. Then I'd buy the 2013 so it would have some of the bugs worked out.

Unfortunately (for Ducati) this bike has won me over. I did not expect to like it this much, but I do. Looks like you guys are stuck with me. :soap:

Trouble
12-27-2011, 06:09 PM
This is the thing I like to read. Although, as much as I've become a Duc hater, the Panigale looks ugly like it'll be quite a ride.

An aside, was that you i stumbled across today on 2222?

TheX
12-27-2011, 06:23 PM
I was out today but didn't hit 2222.

MishMashRSV4
12-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Is 2222 one of the Farm To Market roads?

I actually experienced the same - I bought the 2010 RSV4, my dream bike i've watched since its development birth.....was quick to want to cut chord when the Panigale came along...and now that I have seen in person, I have renewed love for my beloved V4.

Checkmate indeed, Ducati

igotyofire
12-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Looks like you guys are stuck with me. :soap:

much rather be stuck with you then another annoying forum member who I wont name & should no longer be here. :-P

TheX
12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
So far this is a great community. Fewer asshats than some other places.

crash277
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
So far this is a great community. Fewer asshats than some other places.

thats what ive found!!

rs250slowpoke
12-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Jgos is gone, no need to worry. Lol :)

much rather be stuck with you then another annoying forum member who I wont name & should no longer be here. :-P

illtal
12-28-2011, 07:17 AM
hmm ... austin should be doing some trackdays there...

TheX
12-28-2011, 07:35 AM
hmm ... austin should be doing some trackdays there...

We have quite a few tracks nearby, and soon to have the Circuit of the Americas 25 minutes from my house.

illtal
12-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Yea there are quite a few here around Houston as well... I now have a trackbike that I will be bringing along with the ape...

Trackdays mmmmm

slrkappa
12-28-2011, 07:52 AM
I love the look of the new 1199 but will this Duc finally be the Duc you can throw a leg over more often than throwing a wrench on? Time will tell.

crafar01
12-28-2011, 08:13 AM
My heart is with Aprilia, has been since the first generation of Milles, and until I have a bad experience with one of their products, I will continue to ride them. Living where I do, there are very few Ducks and by extension, elitist dickbags that ride them so I don't have any real hate on for Ducati. In fact, I have always had a ton of respect for them and was rooting for them back in the days of the 916 in AMA and WSBK because I was just downright sick of watching the dominance of the Japanese bikes. That being said, it saddens me to see that they have become the Harley Davidson of the sportbike world. I was in Monterey for the MotoGp this summer and I don't believe that I have ever, EVER in my lifetime, seen so man Ducks in one place. At events like that, one of the things I enjoy the most is just walking through the parking lots and checking out all the different rides...only this time, there really weren't any.:confused:

klowry
12-28-2011, 08:41 AM
I saw the 1199 at Long Beach- interesting bike- kind of like the 999 in that it took a long time for me to actually like it! It will be interesting to see how it actually does in reviews and on the track. I suspect it will take while before any private teams figure out how to get it competitive at race pace!
It is never going to replace my Aprilia as favorite!

crafar01
12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
I saw the 1199 at Long Beach- interesting bike- kind of like the 999 in that it took a long time for me to actually like it! It will be interesting to see how it actually does in reviews and on the track. I suspect it will take while before any private teams figure out how to get it competitive at race pace!

I never really warmed up to the 999, not that I was pissed that they changed the aesthetics, like many of the Ducatista were, it just never really struck a chord with me. Oh and in reference to my last post, I neglected to mention that although elitist Ducati dickbags are scarce, their cruiser brethren, elitist Hardley Ableson riders, are quite plentiful.:gunner:

mknj235
12-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Good friend of mine has money down on the 1199 and will be picking it up in the spring. From a looks perspective I really do not like it but I am excited to throw a leg over it for a ride when it comes in. He was torn on the purchase and originally wanted an RSV after riding mine, another friend of ours picked up a leftover 2010 recently and he did not want to be the third person in our group with the Aprilia - his loss. One nice thing about having a large group of friends that ride is getting to try all the new hardware.

TheX
12-28-2011, 09:20 AM
The 1199 is going to be a game changer for sure. Ducati going to a wet clutch and chain driven cams is huge.

w00tw00t
12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
The 1199 is going to be a game changer for sure. Ducati going to a wet clutch and chain driven cams is huge.

Also gone is the trellis frame .. a long standing tradition!

I actually really like how the 1199 looks but love the RSV4 even more!! :D

slrkappa
12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
My heart is with Aprilia, has been since the first generation of Milles, and until I have a bad experience with one of their products, I will continue to ride them. Living where I do, there are very few Ducks and by extension, elitist dickbags that ride them so I don't have any real hate on for Ducati. In fact, I have always had a ton of respect for them and was rooting for them back in the days of the 916 in AMA and WSBK because I was just downright sick of watching the dominance of the Japanese bikes. That being said, it saddens me to see that they have become the Harley Davidson of the sportbike world. I was in Monterey for the MotoGp this summer and I don't believe that I have ever, EVER in my lifetime, seen so man Ducks in one place. At events like that, one of the things I enjoy the most is just walking through the parking lots and checking out all the different rides...only this time, there really weren't any.:confused:

I was working the end of Corner 2 the hairpin just across from the Ducati entrance. I rode my RSV4 to the corner the last day and had tons of complements. It felt good to represent my Aprilia around so many Ducs. haha

crafar01
12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
I was working the end of Corner 2 the hairpin just across from the Ducati entrance. I rode my RSV4 to the corner the last day and had tons of complements. It felt good to represent my Aprilia around so many Ducs. haha

I wish I had known you were there. The two bikes I wanted to see in person were an RSV4 (hadn't seen one ANYWHERE to that point) and an MV F4 (have only seen a couple in my life) - saw none of the former and only one of the latter...and a shit ton of Ducatis.

rs250slowpoke
12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
No trellis frame & no under seat exhaust ? = Its not a Ducati !

Micke65
12-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Good friend of mine has money down on the 1199 and will be picking it up in the spring same here :) and im going to testride it . But im very inlove with my V4 .

TheX
12-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Ducati Austin will have one for test rides in the spring and I will definitely be in line. Love new bikes.

MishMashRSV4
12-28-2011, 12:46 PM

I miss Jgos929!!!!

fastmike
12-28-2011, 10:19 PM

I heard Bayliss can already ride it at race pace! Then again nobody is a Bayliss, are they? The real question is can the factory teams make it competitive in it's first year?

Why is Jr sliding across the pavement? Is that when he broke his back?

68W
12-28-2011, 10:46 PM

I understand that feeling as well...I took my (then brand new) 04 RSVR Factory to a Ducati gathering/show, and everyone gathered around to "oooh and aahhh" the competition. The only bike that got a little more attention that day was the MH 900E....it was really nice!! I think the owner of that bike waited like 2 or 3 years from when he order it to actually get his hands on it.

w00tw00t
12-28-2011, 10:49 PM
my big thing with the 1199 is that since the engine is a stressed member and tied to the airbox section... a big highside will mean even bigger bucks!!! ... atleast frames can be straightened ... with the 1199, i feel like a highside means the engine is f**ked!

OZ RSV4R
12-29-2011, 02:40 AM
I don't even think you would need a high side a low side would give the same results and broken engine frame mounts like the sport classic bikes have suffered from. Im not sure it is a game changer whats revolutionary about it.
Electronic suspension big deal its on the multi strada and it's not likes its constant or adaptive that would be a game changer.
Stressed member hardly revolutionary
The tail looks like a RSV4 sincerest form of flattery if you can't beat them join them.....
Cam gears = no WSBK entries as its not allowed by regulations........

Still trying to work out why its a game changer.......give me the factory anyday....

jpbits
12-29-2011, 02:52 AM
wsbk actually allows gear driven cams, just not the aftermarket (although made by aprilia) add ons aprilia were using.
the 1199 will be in wsbk

quadracer
12-29-2011, 02:56 AM
I like the looks of it, and I have yet to see a bike I wouldn't ride. I've ridden a few that I wouldn't ride twice though! But if I had $25k to drop, gimme an RSV4f and I'll spend the remaining $10k on warmers, a trailer, generator, and track fees. :)

mikef4uk
12-29-2011, 05:02 AM
my big thing with the 1199 is that since the engine is a stressed member and tied to the airbox section... a big highside will mean even bigger bucks!!! ... atleast frames can be straightened ... with the 1199, i feel like a highside means the engine is f**ked!

It will be interesting to see how they fare in a crash.

One thing I thought was either Ducati should supply the dealers with some sort of 'frame' for when the engine needs to be removed, or they're going to need an awful lot of shelves!

It is pretty revolutionary to be honest, electronic suspension that changes with the mode button OR settable and then save your own settings for each mode.

TFT technology dash.

No Frame.

30kg's lighter than an RSV4 with 15 more hp

15000 mile service intervals

Adjustable suspension linkage that can change from flat rate to rising rate

LED headlights

Doesn't mean i'm going to have to buy one, i'm not really a twin fan in sportsbikes (I think theyre better in Monster style bikes)

But FFS I don't have to adopt the mentality of a football fan and want to kill everyone who supports a different club

Retics
12-29-2011, 05:05 AM
Ducati,,,,,,,,,,,

OlliW
12-29-2011, 05:38 AM
I checked this at Milan and it is a very nice looking bike indeed.
I just have a couple of reservations about it.
Letīs see first when someone other than factory riders have had a chance to test this to see how close to real world the claimed hp and weights are.
I would have to dish an extra € 12.000.- to get this instead of the RSV4Factory. Imo, you are paying a premium for the name.
I am still sceptical about the meccano-style frame design, specially on the long-run.

OZ RSV4R
12-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Mike there is no way as long as my bum points to the ground there will be 30kilos difference over an rsv4 ducati are notorious for under quoting weight and the weight they did quoute was dry not wet.....

mikef4uk
12-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Mike there is no way as long as my bum points to the ground there will be 30kilos difference over an rsv4 ducati are notorious for under quoting weight and the weight they did quoute was dry not wet.....

They're quoting kerb weights of 188kg v 207kg for the RSV4, so about 19kg's...still an awful lot of weight

OZ RSV4R
12-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Ive seems plenty of tests for the rsv4 around 204 and we all know a fair bit of weight comes of the stock exhaust Im betting the panigale will be over 190 knowing way ducati is like.....time will tell I guess....