PDA

View Full Version : Is this oil ok?

walt415
12-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey Everybody,

I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on one and I am thinking about the oil changes.

Does anyone use Shell Rotella in their RSV4's? I've heard good things about it:

Amazon.com: Rotella T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 Engine Oil -1 Quart, Pack of 6: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JMZDPEv6L.@@AMEPARAM@@41JMZDPEv6L

Best regards,
Walt

Bulletbob
12-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Why would you run an oil that is designed primarily for heavy duty equiptment? It is used mainly for diesel engines and large industrial gas engines. Yes it is good oil when used for its intended purpose.
There are way too many extremely good motorcycle oils on the market to even consider using Rotella.

Rspec99
12-20-2011, 10:01 PM
I run Rotella in my RSV4. It is now JASO-MA rated which conforms to use in a motorcycle with a wet clutch design. I run Rotella in all my bikes and found that shifting is excellent and the engine runs quieter when I changed the oil. There has been a lot written on Rotella, but in short, diesel engines run turbochargers and an extremely high compression ratio. This puts a lot of thermal stress and lesser oils will shear extremely quickly in those applications. These are the same attributes that are desirable in a motorcycle oil too. If you use a poor quality oil in a motorcycle, and because the oil is used to lubricate gears, the oil will fall out of spec very quickly and shear down to a much lower SAE grade, and that can mean insufficient protection for your engine bearings.

The reason I choose Rotella is mainly because I would rather change my oil more frequently, than to use a high dollar synthetic for a longer period of time. I am a primarily street and occassional track day rider, but if I was to race the bike frequently, I would probably invest in Motul 300v as it seems to be a highly regarded and respected oil for extreme use.

Eppy
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
I ran Rotella in my RC51 for 24,000 miles, CBR1000 for 4000, F4i for 10,000 and my GSXR750 has been raced and tracked with it since I bought it for over 4 years. It is a very popular oil with the race guys with lab tests to back it up. Check over on the WERA forums for countless threads about it.

Now in my RSV4 .... I run the suggested AGIP semi-syn as suggested. For the price I paid for the bike I don't want to have any warranty issues from oil. I may be over thinking it but after the warranty then I may switch.

Phunky Phish
12-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Are you seriously basing your decision to buy an RSV4 on if you can use this oil or not?

illtal
12-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Long as it is JASO-MA 1/2 Rated it is Fine...
I personally use Motul 300V, trackdays, and normal intervals

Bulletbob
12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
I also run Motul 300V. My previous RSVR only had Motul in it as well. I ran the normal oil change intervals. I tracked the bike ocasionally and never had any issues.
I know a lot of people use Rotella in their bikes but it still does not make sense to me to use something thats not specifically designed for motorcycles. Diesel engines turn very low rpm's. They do have high compression but at low rpm its not the same as our high compression high rpm bikes. And as far as turbos go. The amount of oil that goes through a turbo is very small due to the orifice in the turbo housing that limits the flow of oil. A turbo spins at very high rpm but there is almost no stress on the bearings. The oil is mainly for cooling the bearings.
I'm not saying Rotella can't be used. I just don't know why someone would want to use it for what appears to be just to save money. I don't think most of us bought Aprilias to save money.

walt415
12-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey thanks everybody, for all the good info. No, I'm not basing my decision to buy this bike on which oil it needs, I'm just doing some homework before pulling the trigger.

Best regards,
Walt

Bulletbob
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey thanks everybody, for all the good info. No, I'm not basing my decision to buy this bike on which oil it needs, I'm just doing some homework before pulling the trigger.

Best regards,
Walt

Homework done. Now go buy that bike and enjoy it.

MishMashRSV4
12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I run Rotella in my RSV4. It is now JASO-MA rated which conforms to use in a motorcycle with a wet clutch design. I run Rotella in all my bikes and found that shifting is excellent and the engine runs quieter when I changed the oil. There has been a lot written on Rotella, but in short, diesel engines run turbochargers and an extremely high compression ratio. This puts a lot of thermal stress and lesser oils will shear extremely quickly in those applications. These are the same attributes that are desirable in a motorcycle oil too. If you use a poor quality oil in a motorcycle, and because the oil is used to lubricate gears, the oil will fall out of spec very quickly and shear down to a much lower SAE grade, and that can mean insufficient protection for your engine bearings.

The reason I choose Rotella is mainly because I would rather change my oil more frequently, than to use a high dollar synthetic for a longer period of time. I am a primarily street and occassional track day rider, but if I was to race the bike frequently, I would probably invest in Motul 300v as it seems to be a highly regarded and respected oil for extreme use.

Well said. Excellent post

TheX
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Blah blah oil blah. I ran T6 in track bikes that live at 15K RPM and it's fine.

Bulletbob
12-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Why not AGIP 5w40?

I would probably run Agip if the company I worked for was a dealer for Agip. I would have to order Agip online versus the Motul that is hand delivered to me by the local Motul warehouse. We are a Motul dealer so I use it. Not just because we are a dealer for Motul tho. I know its very good oil from all the tests I have seen and read. Agip is a very good oil as well as a lot of others.

mknj235
12-21-2011, 03:03 PM
I was using the Rotella in my RSV4 and was very happy with it, friend is an Amsoil dealer and talked me into buying some at cost from him. To be honest I think the bike shifted better and it was easier to find neutral with the cheaper Rotella, probably will go back when the Amsoil is gone.

Also used the Rotella in my track R6 which had over 12K on the odo when I sold it - all track miles and it never skipped a beat. Been my staple oil for the 4 stroke dirtbikes too, great overall choice for the money.

illtal
12-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't think any of you are getting the point.... the fact that an oil is JASO-MA rated means that it performs to a certain standard that is acceptable to Motorcycles. PERIOD.

This means that the worst performing oils will all perform the same IF they are JASO-MA rated. I think the JASO-MA2 Rating is for synthetic oils with no friction modifiers. At any rate as long a the oil doesn't foam (JASO-MA SHOULDN'T) at high RPMs then everything should be fine. Also you can take a look at Amsoil Research on oils and see that there is ALL kinds of things these companies put in oils to get desired results... some of them are better than others at high temps, etc... but minimally they all pass the JASO-MA rating with ease.

potere
12-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I use Canola, low calorie, natural ingredients, too. Also it's GREEEEEN.

bennice
12-21-2011, 09:14 PM
I asked the Rotella question awhile back to see if anyone had input specifically with the RSV4. I searched hard here and was surprised not to find 100 threads on the subject as there are on pretty much every other bike forum on the Internet.

I ran it in all my twins and I4 motors, and none ever skipped a beat over the 100K+ miles between them all. I haven't tried it yet in the RSV4, think I may give it a shot when the riding season starts again. I too prefer the more frequent change interval.