PDA

View Full Version : Penske shock for Caponord ...

motocatfish
06-29-2003, 05:54 PM
I have cornering-clearance issues with the Aprilia shock, and had pursued Ohlins for several months to make a Capo shock. They claimed I was the only Capo owner on the planet to ask for one, & until that changed, they were not going to design one. Grrr...

I got tired of waiting. So, I called Penske Shocks, they said no problem, & I sent them my Capo shock. The prototype turned out GREAT!

Its their standard racing motocycle shock model 8900 (with rebound, preload, & ride-height adjustability) with the model 8981 reservoir (with 6-way adjustable compression) setup for an Aprilia Caponord.

Their 700 lb./in. spring is a close match to the oem Capo spring when preloaded the same. I'm 260 lbs. and have ordered 750 and 800 lb./in. springs to see which I'll like better. I'll let you know in a few weeks.

CAUTION: I recommend a qualified mechanic do the shock installation, as the roller bearings in the Aprilia shock linkage are NOT caged and will fall OUT if the center-bearing sleeves are allowed to move too far laterally (side-to-side) after the dog-bone links are removed.

Total cost, with shipping to California, was $810. See (www.penskeshocks.com). They normally do business with motorcycle & suspension shops who sell their products, but will sell direct to those who don't have a dealer near by.

Catfish ...

Ergo
07-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info on your experience with Ohlins. Good to hear Penske went to the extra trouble. ;)

macelius
11-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Has anyone else went for one of these, that's still around?

Captain Capo
11-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Yes- I have the Penske Sport (i.e. emulsion) shock fitted. It works fine - big improvement on the standard evwn when the latter is fitted with Hyperpro spring.

CC

macelius
11-20-2009, 06:27 AM
They do look nice, was the price comparable to what Mike paid?
Thanks,
~M

Captain Capo
11-20-2009, 06:34 AM
The Penske sport shock is available from Traxxion dynamics - I got mine in the UK, so not much help to you on price.

http://traxxionstore.com/shocks-2.aspx

macelius
11-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the link CC.
~M

UGLY58
11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Ricor are fitting their new rear shock to my bike today, so that gives another alternative. Its a new item for them so I will file a report after riding it.