PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure sensor

MickyC51
12-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I went for a ride this morning and 15 miles out the oil light came on. Then panic set in. Rode home and the bike is still running with no crunching noises from the engine. I'm guessing it's the sensor. I'm giving a sigh and ordering one and keeping my fingers crossed.

h1dave
12-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Do you have oil in your site tube ? If so, no worries !

Dave

MickyC51
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Do you have oil in your site tube ? If so, no worries !

Dave

Yep, oil in the site tube. First thing I checked.

usherp_250
12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
There's a updated oil pressure sensor for sxv
More robust and better all round
Not sure of part number but AF1 should point you in right direction

MickyC51
12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
There's a updated oil pressure sensor for sxv
More robust and better all round
Not sure of part number but AF1 should point you in right direction

I just ordered the one off of their website. I didn't know there was a sensor problem.

usherp_250
12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I just ordered the one off of their website. I didn't know there was a sensor problem.

I had 1 fail within 30 miles
I'm sure someone will come on here with the updated part number

SXVINWA
12-04-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7544

Check for moisture / oil under the boot first. If everything looks clean, disconnect the wire and verify the light goes out. If the light stays on it's a wiring problem.

irie
12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Tuono/RSV sensor is the same part (well used to be anyway).

Quite often water drips down the sensor cable into the rubber boot on the top of the sensor, gets trapped there, and shorts out the contacts. Especially when washing the bike.

I've also had one blow its brains out over my boot, made a nasty mess!

usherp_250
12-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Thats the 1
Fits the rsvr as well

MickyC51
12-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I did disconnect the wire and the light went out.

I don't ever wash my bikes. My Ducati riding friends are always busting my chops. :), but it was sitting in the rain the other day while I worked in the garage so.....maybe that's the cause.

Stupidguts
12-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I recently brought my SXV. The previous owner had replaced the oil pressure switch with the latest part # as it had blown apart.

2 days after i had the bike the oil light started to flicker as the bike warmed up, i did a manual pressure check and everything was ok.

Just a note i guess to say that the new part also has its problems.

MickyC51
12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I got the new oil pressure sensor today. Changed it over sstarted the bike and the light stayed on. Ran for about 30 seconds and stalled. I think it siezed. I'm screwed one more time.

Korgoth1
12-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Looked at it yet?

MickyC51
12-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Looked at it yet?

I'm not that competent a mechanic. I can replace parts if someone diagnoses the problem but that's about it. I'll have to give it to someone. My problem is finding some one local I can trust. I usually use Seacoast they've been good and I see Jesse at the track, but they're 5 hours away and the race season is over.

Korgoth1
12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Can you put it in 5th gear on a stand and manually turn the engine?

MickyC51
12-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Can you put it in 5th gear on a stand and manually turn the engine?

No. I assume this means I'm screwed? Is this like a $2000 dollar fix or buy a new engine?

Korgoth1
12-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Engine cases could be fine if it seized at low rpm, meaning rebuild-able You will however need the crank/pistons/cam/buckets and associated bearings and maybe other things depending on how and where it seized. I wouldn't give up on it yet though, be sure it has seized before you turn it in for the rebuild. Work the rear wheel back and forth on the stand, would help if you could get the spark plugs out too, the engine's compression could be fooling you. Another thing to consider if the engine has indeed welded itself together, I have seen low mile 550 engines go for around $3000 on ebay!

mertsxv
12-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Just pull The motor out yourself , Its an 1hr job !

Crate It and send It to Allen . The motor Will be better than new . With different Mods etc .

Just my 2ct

Korgoth1
12-09-2011, 11:59 PM
+1
If you confirm that it is seized, pulling it yourself will save you money. Allen has worked with these for awhile and knows his stuff. The engine doesn't weigh much, I use fed-ex for large parcels. Also, I have "broke" a couple of low rpm seized engines loose by working it back and forth and spraying wd-40 in the chamber, but that's only because it was my only transportation. You're on borrowed time after that...

MickyC51
12-10-2011, 07:39 AM
The consensus seems to be to send it to Allen. I'd like to stay on L.I. so I'm thinking maybe try this guy Frank Matera, who came highly recommended to me by a friend of mine who is a mechanic at the local Aprilia dealership. I'll sit on it over the weekend and go one way or the other Monday. I'm not giving up I love this bike too much no matter how often it breaks my heart.

SXVINWA
12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
People on this forum are going to reccomend someone with a reputation on this forum. Nobody around here would say "sure, great idea, I think you should take it to the guy I've never heard of."

That doesn't mean Frank Matera isn't good enough for the job. I would meet him before giving him the job. You must have read enough posts to be able to talk to someone about an *XV and determine if they know what they are talking about. Feel him out, then make the decision.

MickyC51
12-10-2011, 02:56 PM
People on this forum are going to reccomend someone with a reputation on this forum. Nobody around here would say "sure, great idea, I think you should take it to the guy I've never heard of."

That doesn't mean Frank Matera isn't good enough for the job. I would meet him before giving him the job. You must have read enough posts to be able to talk to someone about an *XV and determine if they know what they are talking about. Feel him out, then make the decision.

I called Allan this morning. I gotta say I felt very comfortable talking to him. I concerned about shipping the motor cost and safety. I'm thinking of driving. Mapquest says he 7 hours and my gps says 6 hours (I wish just once they'd agree. LOL)

I drove by to meet this guy Frank and see what his shop looked like. He is familiar with the Aprilia and seemed to know what he was talking about. He specifically mentioned the sealing on the 07. Told me I should contact Aprilia and maybe they'd help. He also mentioned used motors and that AF1 had new motors cheap at one time.

I like Frank and he seems to know what he's talking about his small shop was very clean but looked more a minor maitenance type.

Allan seems the guy I really want to do the work but it's the shipping or 13 hour ($225 in gas) round trip twice issue.

I'll contact AF1 then hem and haw and bitch for a couple of days then hopefully make a decision.

Teacher
12-11-2011, 11:32 AM
If you are going to drive to Allen's shop, take your bike with you. Let him rebuild and tune your bike. Save your self from all kinds of grief and have your bike set up correctly.

MickyC51
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Well after hemming and hawing and talking to everybody including Allen and Amauri. I've decided to go local.
Allen and Amauri both sounded good and made sense and if I lived near either one I'd feel better.
Interesting bit while at Frank's shop he made a call to find a motor and Allen's name came up. I'm thinking should I take this as a sign to make the drive to Maryland or is it a good sign that Frank knows the route.
Either way decision is made. I'll let everyone know how it goes. There are a couple of L.I. guys that have asked me about local guys and I've always said I don't know any so we'll see.

Korgoth1
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Good luck buddy!