PDA

View Full Version : SXV 550 lost its smoothness

swerver
12-02-2011, 04:38 AM
Recently got my bike back from cal550, the bike ran very smoothly for the first few weeks but now it feels like it's struggling a bit.

I don't have a long history with motorcycles so it's hard for me to explain. If I open the throttle it delivers without a problem (albeit not as smoothly), but it feels as though it's struggling a bit when idling or when going slowly - it feels more vibey (I can feel it in the bars more) and more sluggish.

The bike felt exactly the same just before I sent it off to cal but when it came back it was awesome. It has lost that smoothness - just wondered if anyone could suggest things to check?

HayeSM
12-02-2011, 05:03 AM
I would have a quick look at your sprakplugs and caps.. Don't have experience with your problem, but maybe it's worth having a look at.

swerver
12-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Thanks HayeSM, I'll check it out.

The exhaust sounds different too if that helps? It sounds more 'throaty' and 'pop-y' (but not backfiring) rather than the smooth growl it had before.

12-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Mines the same way, some help on this would be great.

swerver
12-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Any ideas anyone?

tehdutchie
12-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Whats the idle speed?

duc slayer
12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
it wasn't in the sparkplug / coil wire area ?? loose fitting or anything ? because that would have been my first place to check

swerver
12-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Thanks duc_slayer, going to check the coil wires and plug caps today.

hardtail
12-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Also it would be good to check the connection of the exhaust to the cylinder heads. If a small amount of air enters it is possible to create such problems.

swerver
12-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks hardtail - will check that also :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

swerver
12-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Just to update this thread. The cause of my problem is a bit embarrassing lol, some :spankie: had pushed the map button in (I only have a map on 'hard') so I wasn't running with any kind of map and I failed to notice this simple thing lol :lame:

Put it back on 'hard' and now it's all good.

usherp_250
12-19-2011, 10:11 AM
It's happens
I spent a hour looking at fuses ect when all I did was press the red kill button by accident!!!!

Stupidguts
12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Do all SXV's have a map switch?? If so where is it located?

Thanks

SXVINWA
12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Stupidguts: US models didn't come with a map switch or map switch harness, at least '08 and older. Might be different with newer models. The ECU is capable on all SXVs with the wiring change and a flash to the ECU.

swerver: are you running a custom map? Switch position does nothing when a single map is loaded. If not a custom map, do you know what map is loaded? I've never heard of these symptoms before and would like to better understand what happened.

swerver
12-20-2011, 05:48 AM
SXVINWA: Cal would be able to comment better on this as he loaded the map, but there is definitely a massive difference between when I have the button pushed in (soft) to when its out (hard).

I think cal said that there isn't enough space to store 2 maps, so only one is loaded, on the 'hard' setting.

Stupidguts: The button is mounted on the bars on the clutch side.

cal550
12-20-2011, 07:06 AM
i know you can soften the map with the switch but not had much to do with it to be honest , talked a bit with alice and he informs me the storage is only one map with a softening ability no more , he did try to enter 2 maps but not sure how far he got ,im sure stu will tell you more but , i never thought about that when u asked me nick sorry

Alice Racing
12-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Basically race maps (Silmoto ,Vdb ) have one map.
Road maps have dual maps, but loading them is the same operation, I.e. you loa them the same way.
We are working on dual race maps

swerver
12-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks Cal and Stuart, so it's possible that on my non silmoto/VDB bike I just have one 'good' map loaded that is selected when I have the button set to hard? There really is a noticeable difference between soft and hard on my bike.

I only need one map anyway so I'm fine just running it on hard, just need to remember to check this button if I start to have problems :D