PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a new 2007 RXV550

soloyosh
11-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm purchasing a new 2007 RXV today. Dealer says it gas been updated to 2010 spec as far as recalls and updates. My question is this: what updates should I be looking for?

Thanks
Brett

sxv explorer
11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
i think most important thing is check that there is not orange sealant between the cases.also good to check stator bolts and re torque them/loctite.

MBevans
11-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Ask if the engine HAS been taken completely apart and had new sealant placed between the engine case halves.....
And IF new from a Aprilia dealer does it come with a warranty, and if so for how long???

kimzx1000r
11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Check and see if it has the factory blue coolant, if so probably not been torn down. look for gel build up.

soloyosh
11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
It has black sealant.

Malcolm Smith Motorsports (the dealer) said it has a 90 day warranty if it is not derestricted.

Will check the coolant after work.

Cheers
Brett

MBevans
11-28-2011, 06:17 PM
????? Ok, MSM are a decent shop, yet how many miles are on this bike? and IS this bike restricted???

I would be leary of buying any of these bikes that have spent a couple of thousand miles still restricted..... As they run like total crap, and is not the way Aprilia designed this motor to run.....

Good Luck!!
M

It has black sealant.

Malcolm Smith Motorsports (the dealer) said it has a 90 day warranty if it is not derestricted.

Will check the coolant after work.

Cheers
Brett

soloyosh
11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
????? Ok, MSM are a decent shop, yet how many miles are on this bike? and IS this bike restricted???

I would be leary of buying any of these bikes that have spent a couple of thousand miles still restricted..... As they run like total crap, and is not the way Aprilia designed this motor to run.....

Good Luck!!
M

Its a NEW 2007. 0 miles.

It has blue coolant, but clearly the black sealant. Near the engine number are numbers written in black pen on either side of the case seam ("13" on both sides). Maybe indicating they had been split?

MSM said the bike never left the Apriia factory. It was updated there and then shipped in a batch of 6 bikes to MSM. The bikes were modified to be "non-street legal", per California regs. Brake switch wires were cut, no turn signals, etc. This was similar to my 2004 KTM 625 SXC.

MSM is getting me turn signals since I live in AZ where you can plate just about anything.

The headlight currently does not work. Looking at the wiring diagram I need to find the "light relay". Any idea where that is on the bike?

Thanks
Brett

soloyosh
11-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Nevermind. I'm a moron. Lights work when engine is running.

MBevans
11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Excellent, take it home and derestrict it right away!!
Get a Tuneboy or other device for a derestricted mapping, TPS etc. etc. and enjoy the power of a RXV550!!!!

Pilota
11-28-2011, 08:26 PM
You'll probably want the 08+ throttle tube and a 12 liter tank.

O8+ throttle tube has a more gradual cam profile making slower riding easier.

12 liter tank - because you'll need it. Get the 20L if you plan to do anything over 70 miles.

MBevans
11-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah, Pilota is very correct. You will find the throttle tube way too touchy, 99% of the 2007's RXV's change them out. Also the little 2007 gas tank is a joke off road.......unless you stay on a closed circut track....

You'll probably want the 08+ throttle tube and a 12 liter tank.

O8+ throttle tube has a more gradual cam profile making slower riding easier.

12 liter tank - because you'll need it. Get the 20L if you plan to do anything over 70 miles.