PDA

View Full Version : Is there a "best" helmet?

Denver Rick
11-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I know this is a nearly impossible question, but info would be great anyway if possible. I ride a 2010 RSV4 R, and only on roads, no tracks. I have an Arai Vector, and looking towards the Arai Vector II, or RX-Q. But I've never had anything but Arai. So is there some badass best of the best helmet I'm not aware of and should be looking for? And anybody acutally have the RX-Q and like/hate it?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

hank
11-14-2011, 02:07 PM
All of the top brands make a great product - as long as it fits properly!

Research the following: Suomy, Shark, Shoei and Arai - all of their top of the line helmets are excellent.

It all comes down to which brand fits YOU and YOUR head shape. Also, fancy graphics don't add to protection.

You can use the Search function here to get more info as part of your research. Also, the UK magazines such as RIDE, Performance Bikes and BIKE do excellent tests/reviews; it's always worth a look to see what they say.

FWIW, I've been using Arai (RX7RR series previously and the replacement Corsair series currently). They just fit MY head best. Then again, I have several buddies who have recently moved from Arai to Shark and they are very happy with their new lids.

YMMV

mknj235
11-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Personal opinion here but I think Arai's are the best lids out there. Of course if they do not fit you correctly then look elsewhere but it sounds like you have a model already that fits your head shape. For street/track use over the years I have owned Shoei, Suomy, Bell, Vemar, and Scorpion but always come back to wearing Arai's. The fit, comfort, and safety are all top notch - you can get other brands cheaper for sure but Arai makes a quality product.

V4Victory
11-14-2011, 02:22 PM
As a long time Arai user I switched over this year to an HJC R-PHA 10 spies rep. Brilliant helmet, much lighter and quieter than an arai, fit is superb, visor changes simple, comes with clear and tinted visor plus pinlock.
I will be sticking with hjc from now on. Only drawback is not as much air through the vents on a really hot day.

Racer X
11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
^ funny i just read his review and we have opposite reactions, lol

i only used ARAI Rx7-RR? till recently, i read/heard good reviews about HJC RPS-10. and it had a Ben Spies (Texas flag paint job) that i REALLY liked.

after having it a yr and doing a 2.5hr (x2) road trip back from AF1 this past fri, i shoulda stuck w/ ARAI.

the positives for HJC, light weight and good shield replacing mechanism.

my pinlokc thing has scratched the inside of the lens and the pinlock shield, so now i have scrateches on the inside, i need a new lens. and it fogs up BADLY w/o the pinlock thingy amd it also blocks part of your view.

i'll prob. be getting an Arai next yr.

V4Victory
11-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Mate if the pinlock has scratched the visor than that's an installation issue I reckon. I've still got my rx7 corsair I use for trackdays but for road rides the noise is too tiring for all day rides

Racer X
11-14-2011, 02:44 PM
you would think, but once i put it on, i rarely took it off.......

i agree the top flite "race" arai's maybe be too loud, i'm prob. going to go w/ an RX-Q

Quarantine
11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
I've moved away from Arai lately. Their quality (not safety) isn't the best. Helmet side covers break easily, stones chipped the top part of the corsair helmet easily, and Iridium visor gets scratched a lot.

I tried AGV, very nice much quieter than Arai, but not as comfy. I'm getting an X-lite next week, worth giving it a go. I'd also try Shark and Shoei

mknj235
11-14-2011, 03:06 PM
i agree the top flite "race" arai's maybe be too loud, i'm prob. going to go w/ an RX-Q

Are you guys seriously riding without ear plugs? Even with stock exhaust systems the wind noise is eventually going to ruin your hearing, noise should be a null point if you are wearing the proper ear protection.

Comfort and venting + the ability to clean the inner liner are the big selling points for me, lighter is better but with most top of the line lids it is hard to tell a couple ounce difference.

Rspec99
11-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I think you have to qualify what is best as it relates to you. Arai in the past is renown for their safety and testaments from racers crashing with their lids and how well they've performed. Arai's mandate is that they do not compromise safety for the sake of comfort or aesthetics. Nowadays with so much more advanced manufacturing techniques, materials, and testing, other manufacturers can make just as safe products that are far cheaper than Arais. I have never been amazed by Arai's build quality and the shield change mechanism is still the stupidest on the planet. I own several Arai RX7's and Corsairs, but my next helmet will likely be something different. There is just no need to spend 800+ bones for a good quality helmet.

I will probably look at AGV or Bell as my next lid. From what I heard the new Bell's are very impressive.

Racer X
11-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Are you guys seriously riding without ear plugs? Even with stock exhaust systems the wind noise is eventually going to ruin your hearing, noise should be a null point if you are wearing the proper ear protection.

Comfort and venting + the ability to clean the inner liner are the big selling points for me, lighter is better but with most top of the line lids it is hard to tell a couple ounce difference.

yes i wear earplugs all the time

and there is a noticeable weight diff. between my HJC and older Arai.

more vents = more noise IMO

V4Victory
11-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Ear plugs on the road , none on track

V4Victory
11-14-2011, 03:35 PM

+1 on both counts. With Arai the side pods also generate a lot of noise

BMG
11-14-2011, 03:39 PM
All my helmets...dirt, street, track...are Shoei. Fit and finish is excellent. I have had other brands including Arai, but as stated above by others comfort is also key and Shoei fits my head best.

As to ear plugs, I always wear them. I recommend spending the money and get a custom pair (I used Big Ear, Inc.). They work better then disposable for keeping out the sounds I don't want to hear and letting through the sounds I do...and they are very comfortable.

Templar
11-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Of the "top end" helmet brands, I've owned a couple of Arai, a Shark, a Suomy, and an AGV helmet.

Out of all of them, the Shark RSR2 (sadly no longer available, and Shark's new models have still not made it to the US) is the highest quality helmet I have ever seen. The shield is nearly optically perfect and never fogs. The liner material is unbelievably plush and comfortable and Shark paint is second only to Suomy. It didn't fit me perfectly, but not badly either. The Suomy was the best fitting helmet I've ever owned for my head, but to my understanding from others, that means that I'm in a smaller percentile of head shapes because Suomy's don't fit everyone well. Those that do fit Suomy swear by them, and my next new helmet will probably be a Suomy as well. I do hope that Shark's new US distributor will get their head out of their ass and get the new models over here.

DuctTape
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm ate up............

http://www.apriliasuperbike.com/garage_attachment.php?id=18

My other helmets are Arai.

Kid Thunder
11-14-2011, 04:09 PM
I've had 4 Arai(3 Signets, one open face)4 Shoe(2 RF1000s, X11 & X12). The Arais' fit great until they stopped the Signet(I know there is a new Signet XQ)
Early Shoei didn't fit me, then I went to the later new shape Shoei & they fit me great. To make a long story short, fit is the key! If it fits you good the it will work better & you will want to wear it. Only way is to try them on. Not just for a minute or two but walk around the store for awhile & check the fit. If the sales person gives you a hard time then you don't want to buy it there!

Racer X
11-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm ate up............

http://www.apriliasuperbike.com/garage_attachment.php?id=18

My other helmets are Arai.

hmm..........who makes that lid?

Johnnyrgr
11-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Vemar

rx7tt95
11-14-2011, 07:52 PM
I think Vemar makes that helmet...

Also check out the OGK FF5 helmet and several of the Schuberths. I prefer Shoei over Arai, larger eye port, easier to get visors on and off and they vent a whole lot better which matters to me down here in Florida. My Shuberth is a bit more versatile, quiet and plush but overall I like the fit and feeling of the Shoei X-11 better. The liner comes out easily for washing too.

Johnnyrgr
11-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Previously I read a post on this thread that discussed how impossible it is to answer your question based on desired features each rider wants in a helmet and rider head shape. This is very true. In my opinion Shoei makes a great helmet with their X-11. Currently this helmet is marked down in price due to Shoei release of their new flagship helmet the X-12. The X-11 offers pretty decent ventilation, aerodynamic stability, and comfort. This helmet is a bit more narrow than an Arai Corsair V. Soumy's Extreme spec 1r is not a bad lid and it's pretty light in weight, but I found it lacking in the ventilation department and some of the parts on it did not feel quality enough to justify it price. The graphics are awesome on the Soumy. I recently purchased a X-lite X-802 and was impressed by it's comfort, reasonable ventilation and graphics (Checa Replica). The parts feel quality and I was very satisfied with my purchase. At the end of the day just do a ton a research or try on a buddy's helmet and just find what works for you.Good luck on your search.

Scythanith
11-14-2011, 08:20 PM
I will second the upper end Shoei and the RSR2 Shark. I have used the shoei rf1000 and Shark RSR2. The shoei was a great helmet with good paint and a sexy profile. The Shark RSR2 has the best visor I have ever looked through! It's nice and thick, doesn't fog, and the paint is pretty sweet!.

igotyofire
11-14-2011, 11:02 PM
I want to try out the Nexx XR1R

Jaguar
11-14-2011, 11:12 PM
yes i wear earplugs all the time

I agree that the difference between a quiet and a noisy lid is extremely noticeable at highway speeds, even with earplugs. Indeed, one of the big gains in moving from my old AGV to my new HJC is the quietness gained.

I have the AC-12 carbon and, apart from looking cool, the other key benefit is that it is among the lightest lids out there - which means less fatigue on long days & at high speeds.

Highly recommended.

Chris_Mag
11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
I haven't noticed fatigue to to wearing a helmet in any recent memory. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I ride 250+ days a year.

I love my Arai helmets. Noise is not a problem as I wear earbuds or ear plugs 95% of the time. I've owned Shoei helmets in the past and they were good also.

I've owned one Scorpion but I wore it a few dozen times and then gave it away - it was kind of a POS compared to other helmets I've owned. It loosened up quickly, leaked in the rain and had poor optical quality, especially in the rain.

fastmike
11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
My vote is for the Shoei X-11. Used to have the Arai Corsair, but those side pieces are a pain and the screen is impossible to change.

I think the Shoei is better all around fit and comfort and you don't have that hassle.

Dejavu
11-14-2011, 11:58 PM
I used to roll an Arai Vector. I now roll a Shoei X-Twelve.

Now the Arai was heavier, btu was a hell of a lot quieter. But as mentioned above...The visors are a pain in the ass to change!

The Shoei Is lighter and looks cooler, but is the top of the line helmet, its noisey as hell....If you go with a Shoei, I would suggest at X-11, My mate has one of those and I wore it for a bit and its alot quieter then the x12

As for fit, Both the Arai and shoei fits very well. Although I like the quality of the finish on the shoei over the Arai, But if i bought one again it would be the Vector 2 as its cheaper and quieter

Daryl RSV4R
11-15-2011, 12:13 AM
I currently own an AGV GP-Tech, Arai Corsair V and a Suomy Extreme. I would also rank them in that order as well.

Quarantine
11-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Just bought an x-lite helmet. And I must say I am impressed. The finish and the vent switches full of quality. The visor is thick and the inside padding is better than my Arai. On top of all that its the lightest helmet I held in my hands

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Quarintine/IMAG0024-1.jpg

Denver Rick
11-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Some fantastic information, thank you. (As usual) I am curious if anybody has been riding with an Arai RX-Q. I don't ride on tracks, only street, and mountain curves never go into high speed, and RX-Q says it has adjusted airflow and such for lower speed street riding. So I want to avoid something (like the Corsair) that is designed for tracks and very high speeds, but I want, of course, the best possible quality I can get. If the RX-Q has pulled that off, fanstatic (and they have that cool Italian flag graphic). But now I do have several other options mentioned here that I am going to go check out. I do need to get custom ear plugs, I'm sick of the disposibles, but having a hard time finding a place in Denver. I will check out if Big Ear Inc. (mentioned above) has anything I can go to.

Denver Rick
11-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Awe, now that Daryl mentioned the Suomy I went and checked them out. That Biaggi Extreme looks fantastic. Back to the drawing board.

V4Victory
11-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Helmets reviewed by shape

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

748rdave
11-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm on my third ARAI Rx7 currently the Mamola Rep and always wear ear plugs.

Big Kid
11-16-2011, 12:42 AM
I use Arai RX7 and Suomy Spec 1R Extreme, I like them both!

TheYuckyDuck
11-16-2011, 03:27 AM
I wear a Shark Evoline 2 most of the time, and absolutely love it. It's a modular helmet, but the chin guard rotates all the way to the back of the helmet so it's aerodynamic. I live in the south, and it gets ridiculously hot down here for 8 months out of the year. It's really nice to go open face for casual riding when it's 102*F outside, without feeling like you're wearing a parachute on your head. That's the usual knock on modular lids. They catch the air when they are up. The Shark Evoline 2 doesn't. Plus its nice to be able to smoke and talk to people, without taking off my helmet. These helmets are very difficult to get, but are more than worth the time and money that they set you back.

mikef4uk
11-16-2011, 03:46 AM
I used Arai for years as a Shoei never fitted me.............until recently when I tried an X Spirit, I am now on my 2nd X spirit (2) and think they are OK, I still try on a Corsair RX7 if I am in the bike shop, but the Shoei fits me better, I wonder if your head changes shape with the passing years?

I had an AGV but the visor kept popping off, quality was not as good, on that subject the Shoei quality is about 95% of an Arai, visor changes on an Arai will eventually break the side covers, a set of side covers on my Arai developed hair line cracks around the top front area

I always wear ear plugs, I had a custom set made but they didn't work,

warren kiernan
11-16-2011, 04:08 AM
a really cool feature with the shoei x-spirit 2 it the quick release tabs on the bottom rim of the helmet that are there to be pulled out in the event of an accident, and then the lineing falls away for easy removal of the helmet with no tugging on the head for any further injuries

512BB
11-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Shoei has always fit my head the best and I have their RF 1100, which I like quite a bit. Also, check out NEXX helmets (in particular the xr1r carbon). I saw them at the motorcycle show last year and it may be my next helmet.

Daryl RSV4R
11-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Awe, now that Daryl mentioned the Suomy I went and checked them out. That Biaggi Extreme looks fantastic. Back to the drawing board.

Don't get me wrong, the Suomy is a great helmet. Even riding in 30 degree weather,I could not get the shield to fog if I wanted to. I just like the AGV GP Tech and Arai Corsair V a notch better.

Racer X
11-16-2011, 10:56 AM
personally i think fogging is not a good determiner or helmets, diiff. facial features for diff folks cause or not to fog.

how often have you read, x helmet fogs badly, then another poster post same lid never fogs. same w/ wind noise.

the ability to clear the fog is a good indicator.

so things like fit and finish determine helmets. IMO

w/ my HJC the d-rings are thin metal w/ squared corners, making it harder to split the rings and work w/ gloves. on my past arai's, the buckle were of decent thinckness and size and workable w/ gloves.

but my HJC the lens is easier to change and prob. less prone to break vs the side-pods of Arai's

chose your strong point.

Miticale
11-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I want to try out the Nexx XR1R

Some of the guys I track with are now using the carbon ones, previous Arai endorsers. Incredibly light, not too sure how they are in re: to wind noise & fitment. did hold it though, scared to think stuff that lights that resistent.

Racer X
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
I've seen Arai C/F helmets on Ebay. i think they were from Japan, crazy $ $2000+

67chris
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
just recently bought an Arai Quantum Oriental, great fitting helmet, looks pretty cool as well with a black race visor, only down side is changing the visor, can be a bit of a pig to change, or it could just be me,till i get the knack of it!

always used Suomy before,great helmets, still own a Suomy Gunwind Hawaii,which my daughter now uses.

Templar
11-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Of course, when talking about helmets, the one most important thing is safety.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

crafar01
11-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I have owned a bunch of helmets over the years - multiple Arai Corsairs, an OGK FF4 and am currently alternating between a Shoei X-11 and a Suomy Spec1r. Looking back there hasn't been a helmet(s) that fit my head better, or that I liked more than my Arais. They are pricey, but fit and function wise they are pretty special. I will own another someday...since I finally took the plunge on my RSV4R perhaps next season will be that 'someday'. Always had a soft sport for most of the Haga replicas, with the exceptoin of that awful Aztec design a few years back.:WTF:

V4Victory
11-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Always had a soft sport for most of the Haga replicas, with the exceptoin of that awful Aztec design a few years back.:WTF:

Yup i had a Quantam F haga rep years ago, my favourite helmet design

http://img.kijiji.it/2f/3d/2f3de16d77935d81082a3f5b94ae2f1c_orig.jpg

crafar01
11-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Yup i had a Quantam F haga rep years ago, my favourite helmet design

http://img.kijiji.it/2f/3d/2f3de16d77935d81082a3f5b94ae2f1c_orig.jpg

Very nice!!!!:plus: I looked at the Quantum replicas, nearly bought the red version of yours, but decided to hold off and get the Corsair which I didn't get until a few years later...that is another story entirely and not a good one. :(

norcolmille
11-16-2011, 01:40 PM

Research the following: Suomy, Shark, Shoei and Arai - all of their top of the line helmets are excellent.

It all comes down to which brand fits YOU and YOUR head shape. Also, fancy graphics don't add to protection.

You can use the Search function here to get more info as part of your research. Also, the UK magazines such as RIDE, Performance Bikes and BIKE do excellent tests/reviews; it's always worth a look to see what they say.

FWIW, I've been using Arai (RX7RR series previously and the replacement Corsair series currently). They just fit MY head best. Then again, I have several buddies who have recently moved from Arai to Shark and they are very happy with their new lids.

YMMV
Fit is important -perhaps essential. I have always liked the safety and fit/finish of an Arai-and the best fit now for me is an Arai profile. And then I fell in love with the value and quality of the Bell Star. Try out a Bell Star they are awesome ....and a helmet thread exists in General Motorcycle Topic. For me the Bell is my "summer" helmet and the Arai is for cooler temps and perhaps more serious rides.
Both work for me .... but there are now MANY great options.....
Go to a shop -try fit and finish and use the web ...http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm was a great source..

sxver
11-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Some fantastic information, thank you. (As usual) I am curious if anybody has been riding with an Arai RX-Q. I don't ride on tracks, only street, and mountain curves never go into high speed, and RX-Q says it has adjusted airflow and such for lower speed street riding.

I am really thinking about getting an rx-q as well, never had an arai, been with shoei forever, on an x-11 right now and before that a rf-1000 but I tried on an rx-q and wow, love the fit. the only thing that worries me is the visor changes, since I change my shoei daily...

bennice
11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
I have had a hard time finding good helmets that properly fit my noggin. As such, I've got a pair of Scorpions and a KBC right now. I've been eyeballing Shark for awhile, but haven't gotten around to trying one on yet.

victor yu
11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I ve got the arai rx-7 rc, great helmet, light enough and with custom painting.:devil:

ABN2nds
11-17-2011, 06:28 PM
A Vemar Midas in white with black graphics, looking to but another in the red. great tight fit and love the deign/looks. The second is a Z1R helmet, red, black and white, low price, but they did very well in testing.

RSV4_Au
11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Ive had Arai, but find the Shoei fits me better, got a new XR1100 in black and white and I love it to bits!

sxver
11-18-2011, 10:27 AM
just ordered myself an rx-q spencer, can't wait to get it! :D ...where are you guys getting the little arai visor stickers (preferrably in the states)? and who can suggest or has input on the max vision pinlock vs. the regular pinlock? thanks!

Daryl RSV4R
11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Would really like to get my hands on an Airoh. Not cheap at all. If you follow Moto 2 you know who Andrea Iannone is.

http://i41.tinypic.com/i69fn9.png

Eppy
11-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Would really like to get my hands on an Airoh. Not cheap at all. If you follow Moto 2 you know who Andrea Iannone is.

http://i41.tinypic.com/i69fn9.png

Thats bad ass! Never even heard of them before.

zgriders
11-18-2011, 03:01 PM
I ve got the arai rx-7 rc, great helmet, light enough and with custom painting.:devil:

That's a very rare helmet!

Johnnyrgr
06-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes. It's the X-lite X802

kneedrag05
06-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Holy old thread Batman!!!

ckruzel
06-30-2014, 11:16 PM
i prefer the bellstar carbon helmets

Darayvn
07-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Would anyone on here buy the skully if they ever release it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpeGOqFIcOc

yuvraj8511
07-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Ditto, Bellstar is my current favourite , the transation visor is the best thing :)

Toli
07-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Tried Bell, HJC, AGV, but the one I currently use and absolutely love is the Schuberth SR1.
One of the best helmets all around.

Didka
07-01-2014, 04:38 AM
Yes there is... but what's the best one for me, isn't nescesarry the best one for you...
As long as it has a good Sharp rating, and it has a proper fit without giving you a headache, it should do the job.
When buying one, ask if you can do a test-drive with it... Scorpion for instance has test-helmets available..
I prefer my Suomy, since you can combine various sizes of inner liners and the visor is one the best.

d1000rr
07-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Holy old thread Batman!!!

I'm looking at pictures of helmets posted in here thinking "wtf those are old!"

claudeaube
07-01-2014, 11:09 AM
I've moved away from Arai lately. Their quality (not safety) isn't the best. Helmet side covers break easily, stones chipped the top part of the corsair helmet easily, and Iridium visor gets scratched a lot.

I tried AGV, very nice much quieter than Arai, but not as comfy. I'm getting an X-lite next week, worth giving it a go. I'd also try Shark and Shoei

i have a X-lite X-802R and the fit is perfect and light weight with pretty good ventilation but... its noisy... it has pinlock with a silicone bead all around so it dos int scratch the visor

aside the noise i thing its one of the best

ibb
07-01-2014, 03:42 PM
I've got an Arai RX7 GP and like it a lot, it is a little more noisy than some I've had in the past though.

paulmm600
07-02-2014, 03:16 AM
best has to be the agv pista, European version, sub 1kg from memory, a little under $1000 when they first came out, the US version to pass helmet standards went up to a bit over a kilo I think and cost a bit more. Huge hole in the front, biased toward better vision in a full tuck. Oh and it's what Vale wears :)

I've never been bothered by the weight of a helmet, friend used to get a sore neck and would just buy the cheapest plastic helmet he could find. These days now that I can afford a decent helmet i'm thinking weight is an important consideration if you crash, ie. less inertia on my neck in the event of a decent impact which is why I prefer the European version. Second only to colour or visibility to other road users, if they made a white one I would have bought it as soon as they came out, and then put reflective tape around the base for visibility at night. They only make them in clear coat over carbon or Vale replica, which might work for visibility but too wild for me :)

BTW the standard to look for generally is snell, an independent US helmet tester, renowned as better than usual country standards.

A caution on stickers, can cause the helmet to grip as you slide up the road and brake your neck according to an ambulance driver taking my first aid course years ago, but hopefully a strip of reflective tape around the base ok since it won't hit the road.

memory not so good $1400 in the US
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-pista-gp-helmet

Chaotic
07-02-2014, 03:58 AM

That sums it up.

There is no "best" helmet. SHOEI, Bell, AGV, Arai, Suomy, Shark, HJC (higher end versions), etc...they are all good and will protect you sufficiently...as long as they fit properly.

I would be willing to bet that 90% of riders wear a helmet that is too big. I was one of them. When I got the Bell sponsorship i was fitted for a helmet and come to find out, I had been wearing one that was 1 size too big. If it can go on easily, or if it will move when you shake your head back and forth, then it is too big. Helmets that are too big can lead to concussions.

I have worn the top-of-the-line helmets from SHOEI and Arai, and personally I think the Bell (Star or RS-1) is better. They all offer great protection. But the inside of the Bell is more comfortable and it has much better ventilation. I also think the field of vision is wider/taller. With good ventilation comes more noise, so the Bell's are louder than the others. But i always wear earplugs so that isnt an issue.

mikef4uk
07-02-2014, 05:50 AM
That sums it up.

There is no "best" helmet. SHOEI, Bell, AGV, Arai, Suomy, Shark, HJC (higher end versions), etc...they are all good and will protect you sufficiently...as long as they fit properly.

I would be willing to bet that 90% of riders wear a helmet that is too big. I was one of them. When I got the Bell sponsorship i was fitted for a helmet and come to find out, I had been wearing one that was 1 size too big. If it can go on easily, or if it will move when you shake your head back and forth, then it is too big. Helmets that are too big can lead to concussions.

I have worn the top-of-the-line helmets from SHOEI and Arai, and personally I think the Bell (Star or RS-1) is better. They all offer great protection. But the inside of the Bell is more comfortable and it has much better ventilation. I also think the field of vision is wider/taller. With good ventilation comes more noise, so the Bell's are louder than the others. But i always wear earplugs so that isnt an issue.

I have noticed when watching Moto GP/WSB/BSB etc that when they are showing the riders getting ready for the track some just put their helmets as if it was a large bucket going onto their heads? can't be right, mine needs one of my hands on top to 'push' it on and is a snug fit when on, same when i'm taking it off, If I could get it off as quick as some people do i'm sure i would end up 'earless' haha

Rizla V4
07-02-2014, 05:57 AM
I have noticed when watching Moto GP/WSB/BSB etc that when they are showing the riders getting ready for the track some just put their helmets as if it was a large bucket going onto their heads? can't be right, mine needs one of my hands on top to 'push' it on and is a snug fit when on, same when i'm taking it off, If I could get it off as quick as some people do i'm sure i would end up 'earless' haha

I agree with this 100%

I have an HJC RPHA 10 and it is a great fit, or so I thought!

I tried on a Shoei GT AIR Wanderer tc3 yesterday http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/products/Shoei-GT%252dAir-Wanderer-TC%252d3-2014-%26-Free-Gifts.html?gclid=CObI_6e7pr8CFa2WtAodmFUABg

and the fit is so much better than the HJC. needless to say I bought it :o

It seems like even though it is an off the shelf helmet, it feels like it is custom made for my head. It's tight in all the right places without applying pressure that will cause discomfort.

mikef4uk
07-02-2014, 06:26 AM
I also think that your head changes shape with age, for years a Shoei helmet would really push hard onto the front of my forehead and I wore Arai's for years, then one day in a MC Shop there was a very good offer on a Shoei X Spirit, I said to my mate ''I would buy that except they just don't fit me'' with that I tried it on and it fitted like a glove..or a well fitting comfortable helmet,

I am now on my 3rd X Spirit and have sold the original one, I tend to buy them at ''the right price'' keep them about 2 years and sell them on ebay, they are always clean/never dropped etc, but saying that I would never buy a secondhand helmet, it would be like slipping into someone elses undewear as far as I was concerned :eek:

comfysofa
07-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Just skimmed through this thread...it seems that each person prefers their own - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next person....throwing it in there ive always used simpson helmets....not the stig/bandit stuff - that's too obvious but I tend to go for the indy car stuff - just about to order one of these....

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/snell-sa2010/snell-2010-speedway-shark-helmets/

My head has been in a few simpson's while sliding down the road on my arse so I trust'em implicitly, they fit well and they last a long time (providing they don't hit the floor.)! On top of all of that I kinda like the individuality of them - my current simpson (Street shark) ive never seen any one wearing ever and TBH ive never seen any pics of it on the net either...

Chaotic
07-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Just skimmed through this thread...it seems that each person prefers their own - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next person....

Yep. That is why i said there is no "best" helmet. There is only a best helmet for you. Some helmets have different shapes and fit different heads better. As long as a helmet carries the proper ratings, fits tight enough and fits the shape of your head, then it is the best helmet. :)

hank
07-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Yep. That is why i said there is no "best" helmet. There is only a best helmet for you. Some helmets have different shapes and fit different heads better. As long as a helmet carries the proper ratings, fits tight enough and fits the shape of your head, then it is the best helmet. :)

:plus:

Proper shape and proper sizing are the key aspects... even a high quality helmet will not be effective if it doesn't fit your head properly.

zgriders
07-02-2014, 11:14 AM
:plus:

Proper shape and proper sizing are the key aspects... even a high quality helmet will not be effective if it doesn't fit your head properly.

So true :plus: .. the helmet would also be better with additional safety features, such as SHOEI's EQRS system :cheers:
YhTzEg1fYsY#!

mikef4uk
07-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Just skimmed through this thread...it seems that each person prefers their own - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next person....throwing it in there ive always used simpson helmets....not the stig/bandit stuff - that's too obvious but I tend to go for the indy car stuff - just about to order one of these....

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/snell-sa2010/snell-2010-speedway-shark-helmets/

My head has been in a few simpson's while sliding down the road on my arse so I trust'em implicitly, they fit well and they last a long time (providing they don't hit the floor.)! On top of all of that I kinda like the individuality of them - my current simpson (Street shark) ive never seen any one wearing ever and TBH ive never seen any pics of it on the net either...

They are effectively a car racing helmet though with a smaller aperture for the visor, I thought they were constructed and tested differently to Motorcycle helmets due to the different type of accidents they are designed for?

Johnnyrgr
07-02-2014, 05:05 PM
:plus: hank

Darayvn
07-02-2014, 05:25 PM
this is the right one for him apparently

murphc13
07-02-2014, 05:55 PM
I have 2 Arai Quantums(RX-Q in the USA) and they're possibly the best ive tried.Bit heavier than a race lid usually is but the comfort us 2nd to none.
I have a Shoei x-spirit 2(X-12 in the USA) and i love it.Almost as comfortable as the Arai but vents much better(i.e. louder also) and i love the shell shape.
Like an Aliens head lol.
So the Japs win(ive tried x-lite and agv dont make great fitting lids...shark neither.....all my opinion of course:))

mikef4uk
07-03-2014, 03:56 AM
I have 2 Arai Quantums(RX-Q in the USA) and they're possibly the best ive tried.Bit heavier than a race lid usually is but the comfort us 2nd to none.
I have a Shoei x-spirit 2(X-12 in the USA) and i love it.Almost as comfortable as the Arai but vents much better(i.e. louder also) and i love the shell shape.
Like an Aliens head lol.
So the Japs win(ive tried x-lite and agv dont make great fitting lids...shark neither.....all my opinion of course:))

When I bought my X Spirit 2 I really wanted the black/gold vermuellen as shown in the quick release video above, but being a tight arse I picked up a Streamliner 2 brand new for a little over 300, two years on and I still fancied a black vermuellen but all that was around was XS or XL, anyway I found 'fashion' web site in Italy ''polediffusion.com'' who had them available for 325 euro, they also do weekend discounts etc, I was a little apprehensive but bought anyway, brand new in a never opened box etc and delivery to the UK within 5 days..result :)

comfysofa
07-03-2014, 06:46 AM
They are effectively a car racing helmet though with a smaller aperture for the visor, I thought they were constructed and tested differently to Motorcycle helmets due to the different type of accidents they are designed for?

Yup - indy car helmets. I like them because of the restricted aperture. I believe that they are more rigorously tested as they have to withstand fire as well.....as I say - ive been in a few in accidents (wearing a simpson) - came off on some diesel about 10 years ago (doing about 50 ish) and slid for along way and while I was watching my bike leave ( and sliding as well ) me I was thinking "this is comfortable...."

Shadowcaster
07-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Schuberth SR1 that's pretty awsome. My other helmets are a nolan, bell and shoei and the schuberth is my fave

Raindog
07-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Picked up a Bell Star carbon today with the transitions shield, thought I'd love it but not so much. The Suomy MX Tourer has ruined me, it's a full pound lighter even with a peak and flip down visor.

http://raindog314159.smugmug.com/photos/i-QdvDwWD/0/X2/i-QdvDwWD-X2.jpg

Darayvn
07-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Suomy is my favorite. I wear both of my biaggi helmets more than any of the other ones I have because they are so light. I really like my shoei Marquez but it feels like a brick compared to Suomy IMO.

cones
07-06-2014, 02:17 AM
shape and size.

measure your head. i had a one size too large helmet for the first 4 years of riding... good thing my 2 crashes i never hit my head.

if it is tight in the jaws... cheeckpads will break in.

g00gl3it
09-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Would anyone on here buy the skully if they ever release it?

I did buy one, actually. Won't ship until May though - read this thread here:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?285127-Skully-Helmets&highlight=skully

Yeah, it hurt my wallet. A LOT. But I love bleeding edge tech and also like to do YouTube videos, so it should be a fun experience.

manjunathbs
09-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Anyone here used the AGV Corsa, that fits super awesome. I would like to know how it works at high speeds. I have a Shark Race-R Pro, which is good, but very noisy.

ckruzel
09-17-2014, 09:45 AM
just picked up one of these, great helmet

v4freak
09-17-2014, 10:10 AM
I agree, Bell helmets have come a long way nowadays, I have the Star Speedfreak Carbon, but compared to my Shoei X12, the Bell's quality still needs improvement.

dmaxr1
09-17-2014, 10:52 AM
+1 on Bell, my favorite to date. Used to be mostly HJC. I also have a x-lite x-551 that I like for ds. I would try the skully for street if the price came down.

Fit is most important aspect. It affects safety, comfort, even noise. I live in a small market so not a lot of selection. Nobody local keeps stock on Arai. It is always a challenge to find good fit.

catalina2.o
09-17-2014, 11:06 AM
i came from a Scorpain exo 1000 and fit great, nice and quiet, confortable but the rubber seal along the bottom edge started to unglue itself.

so then i looked into bell and bought a Bell rs-1 with the transitions sheild.

at first it felt lighter but on the highway was much louder.. wind would mess with my head too much, it gives me headaches, but the only thing i like about it is the shield
also the tab on the side that locks the screen in place flew off as i was riding ... :mad:

yuvraj8511
09-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Another thread that might help !!!

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?270703-Show-your-favourite-riding-helmet

omaha_rsv4
09-18-2014, 09:10 AM
i bought a shoei gt air. bought it mostly for the internal visor, helmet fits nice and is quiet. but its horrible for the visor fogging up real bad. nt worth the 500 i paid for the thing.

v4freak
09-18-2014, 10:05 AM
i bought a shoei gt air. bought it mostly for the internal visor, helmet fits nice and is quiet. but its horrible for the visor fogging up real bad. nt worth the 500 i paid for the thing.

can't you use one of the pinlock shields with an anti-fog insert ??

murphc13
09-18-2014, 02:04 PM
When I bought my X Spirit 2 I really wanted the black/gold vermuellen as shown in the quick release video above, but being a tight arse I picked up a Streamliner 2 brand new for a little over 300, two years on and I still fancied a black vermuellen but all that was around was XS or XL, anyway I found 'fashion' web site in Italy ''polediffusion.com'' who had them available for 325 euro, they also do weekend discounts etc, I was a little apprehensive but bought anyway, brand new in a never opened box etc and delivery to the UK within 5 days..result :)
I checked that website Mike.They have X-Spirit 2s but not a great selection.The graphics are priced at 449 if i remember correctly.Do you like the X-Spirit 2?Is it your fave lid?Hope you're well!!

Danfinarch
09-18-2014, 02:32 PM
http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/shoei-x-spirit-vermeulen-4-helmet/2522

Had this very lid in my hand in this store today. Graphics are pretty cool up close

Dirk.diggler
09-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Yup... It's shiny, xxxl, purple and belongs to me
loves a good polish n all
giggity

jay9553
09-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Arai corsair v is the best one I've tried so far. I own bell star carbon, agv gp tech and shoei x11. I love arai on the track and that's why I bought several arai helmet each time I crash and need a new one

Raindog
09-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Currently have a Shoei X11, Arai Quantum, Suomy SR Sport and a Suomy MX Tourer on the shelf in the garage. I grab the MX Tourer almost every time, it's feather light, has great visibility, internal drop down visor, doesn't fog and the peak comes in handy when riding into the sunrise on the morning commute.

http://raindog314159.smugmug.com/Other/Tuono/i-xMqWK3B/0/XL/%272938726-129Slayer-XL.jpg

SolexFWD
09-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Excellent comfort and ventilation. I don't think the ventilation adds any noise when opening/closing, can't tell. Very good field of view. Light, but could be lighter without the inbuilt sun visor. I would rather keep the visor. Feels nice.

Schuberth R1.

If it ever wears out, will definitely have Schuberth on the list.

murphc13
09-20-2014, 04:28 AM
http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/shoei-x-spirit-vermeulen-4-helmet/2522

Had this very lid in my hand in this store today. Graphics are pretty cool up close
Hey bro!!I like the look of that lid in pictures!!But one of the editors in Performance Bikes was wearing one a while back and didnt look great on her IMHO....probably look better on me though lol:)

Danfinarch
09-20-2014, 06:10 AM
The pic don't do it justice really Christian, the gold isn't flat in real life like it looks there mate

murphc13
09-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Hey don't give me ideas my friend!!!!!My gear fetish is getting outta hand:(

Danfinarch
09-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Hahahaha buy it buy it buy it

murphc13
09-20-2014, 05:11 PM
No way bro.... check out the X-12 (x-spirit 2 usa and Japan) Trajectory graphics,Yanagawa and the Kagayama lid with the Cyborg skull on the sides....all nicer IMO.
Sportbike Trackgear have a video of the black/red Trajectory lid on ytube right now...check it out Dan!!

Danfinarch
09-21-2014, 03:40 PM
I hear ya mate. Have you seen the "kiyo White?" Mmmmm

Johnnyrgr
09-21-2014, 03:51 PM
:plus: v4freak.

murphc13
09-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Yes Daniel...only in pics though and not in the flesh....looks cool for sure.X-Spirit 2s are the best my friend:)

Whippet1
09-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Received my new AGV Corsa last week. Haven't been able to test it on the bike yet, but fit is great, especially the way you can customise the position of the crown foam inserts. The shell feels and looks smaller than my Bell Star Carbon which is a bonus for me, though the Bell is maybe a tad more plush. My AGV Ti-Tech pinched around my ears a bit which the Corsa seems to have improved on. Hopefully the ape is repaired soon so that I can do many miles of testing.....