PDA

View Full Version : Tall bike short person problem!

John Gateley
11-13-2011, 01:11 PM
To those of us who are 'vertically challenged' (I am 5'6" tall), the Aprilia RSV4 is a tall bike - seat height is over 33" compared with a Fireblade at around 32". I have struggled with the bike's height and have explored everything from lowering the bike (not officially possible) to softening the suspension (not a good idea).

Finally I have a solution. For that extra half an inch leg length do 2 things:
- buy a pair of shoe inserts that are for posture problems - Boots sell them for around £22 a pair. These, when cut to size and inserted in your boot, add around one third of an inch at the heel and around one quarter inch at the front of the foot;
- get the seat re-upholstered by getting some of the foam padding taken out of the front middle of the seat. The seat's lowest point is mid-seat not front seat. If you get a professional upholsterer to shave off around one third of an inch of foam (this doesn't alter the lines of the seat at all) then you have regained approximately two thirds of an inch. Half my foot now touches the floor with bike boots on compared with only one third before. Now I feel confident! It's a pity that 5'4" Max Biaggi didn't sort this problem out when the bike was designed. Hope this helps. :)

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-13-2011, 01:19 PM
We have nice 40 mm drop side plates that work very well

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8279

Slide the forks in the trees to match

Rides almost like stock.

Scythanith
11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm 5"4 and I added the AF1 drop kit and can stand on the balls of both feet. Not flat footed, but still quite stable.

bennice
11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm 5' 7" with only a 30" inseam. With my boots on I can manage, although it's a bit of a stretch...no pun intended. Since most of my time on the bike is spent with my feet on the pegs, I don't worry about it too much and am scared shitless about lowering the bike. I don't want to mess with the geometry too much from its intended height, but it is somewhat of a pain the ass sometimes not being able to get my heels on the ground at stop signs.

chrisfknpadilla
11-13-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm 5'3" and haven't lowered any of my bikes. Always doing the one legged routine, haven't really had a problem on dropping any of my bikes yet. people probably just find it funny when i have to shift my body when it's time to go.

bn1
11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm 5'3" and haven't lowered any of my bikes. Always doing the one legged routine

:plus:

Only need one foot on the floor (left) (right on the rear brake) to still have total control of the bike.

May prove difficult if you really need to reverse it back but if thats the case just get off it.

chrisfknpadilla
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
:plus:

Only need one foot on the floor (left) (right on the rear brake) to still have total control of the bike.

May prove difficult if you really need to reverse it back but if thats the case just get off it.

Yeah I usually just get off the bike when I have to move the bike back. In some cases I have used one leg to move the bike back but that's rare. And yup left leg down right foot on rear and just switch legs when having to mess with the shift.

John Gateley
11-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Guys - I have the solution to the short person - tall bike | tall Aprilia RSV4 problem. With the Ape, you don't want to mess around with the suspension or height by lowering forks - it will alter the bike's behaviour. You don't need to carve some foam out of the seat. You need a pair of these: Daytona M-Star GORE-TEX® boots. They have a raised internal sole and heel that adds around 1" to your height! Just bought a pair on recommendation from a friend and it's genius - they work. Purchased from FC-Moto in Germany (www.fc-moto.de) for around £235 | $375 plus postage. Worth every penny.

Job done!!

zgriders
11-20-2011, 12:36 PM

Rides almost like stock.

I bought a set and agree that these work very well for the street/canyons...they made riding around much easier. Thanks AF1 :plus:
However, if you like to really lean the bike in the racetrack, the kickstand may begin to scrape.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/af1-v4_lolink.jpg

Revit
06-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Hey other short people riding these extension ladder bikes...how bad is the reach to the handlebars? Lowering the seat height is one thing but my arm is about 28" from shoulder to my un-chewed middle fingernail. Do I have any hope of riding this monster?

marcodarq
06-20-2017, 10:41 AM
i have installed the AF1 links,,for me personally they work very well. my bike is only for the street though,,,,if i was to track it i would leave it alone, but depending on how fast you are they may work fine for you. i have installed them on 3 bikes and had no negative feedback from my customers.
m

Sonny112
06-20-2017, 10:50 AM
I'm 5'6" and the bike fits great. To me, it has the most compact cockpit of any Superbike I tried. I went from a demo 1299 back to my RSV4 in one session on track and the difference crazy. The RSV4 was so much tighter together.

just get some rearsets to put your feet in proper/comfortable position while on the bike and you're good to go.

RF Pilot
06-20-2017, 12:20 PM
its not so much the height of the bike, as it is the width of the seat. the V4 configuration and the underseat tank demand a wider surface area, whereas the panigale or the gsxr have much more narrow crotch area. the shorter inseam for some people further exacerbates this toe-touch problem.

im 5'7 with a 29in inseam. and my bike is raised 4mm in front and rear.

just something you have to deal with at stoplights, leaning off to one side... uncomfortable? yes. problem? no.

kozumasbullitt
06-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Rides almost like stock.

The description says it "can reduce the height of the saddle by up to 40mm", what will it lower a 17 RR? In addition, how many lines should show on the forks about the tree to properly balance the bike? The instructions contradict the product statement a bit for someone like me who is not suspension savvy.

Thanks.

Sonny112
06-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Yeah. Height used to be more re of a concern for me too but I grew into it. Just need to ride more. Lean to one side or another and just practice. Becomes second nature after a bit.

Bruce M
06-20-2017, 04:56 PM
What part of "Slide the forks up through the clamps" to match the 40mm drop the lowering links provide at the rear is so difficult to understand. Re-read AF1's post. If the lowered bike has the same "attitude" F to R as the stock suspension, then handling will barely be compromised. Other than ground clearance.
Boots with heels and "lift" inserts make a world of difference.
Personally I'd deal with it stock. I have an R1200 GS with a lowered seat, but with longer ADV shocks. At 5'7" I'm teetering on my tip toes at a stop. I put up with it for the added travel offroad. And yes, I occasionally I get caught out at a stop and tip over. That's why we have all those manufacturers making all those little bobbins and sliders to keep from scratching the body work.
I have a Tuono, but part of the reason I bought the bike was for the very compact riding position. The RSV4's that I've sat on feel very similar, just lower, so should be good for someone with short arms. Why not just sit on the bike in the showroom and put both feet on the pegs with the sidestand down and find out for yourself? The Tuono does feel better in this respect though.

kozumasbullitt
06-20-2017, 08:12 PM
What part of "Slide the forks up through the clamps" to match the 40mm drop the lowering links provide at the rear is so difficult to understand. Re-read AF1's post. If the lowered bike has the same "attitude" F to R as the stock suspension, then handling will barely be compromised. Other than ground clearance.
Boots with heels and "lift" inserts make a world of difference.
Personally I'd deal with it stock. I have an R1200 GS with a lowered seat, but with longer ADV shocks. At 5'7" I'm teetering on my tip toes at a stop. I put up with it for the added travel offroad. And yes, I occasionally I get caught out at a stop and tip over. That's why we have all those manufacturers making all those little bobbins and sliders to keep from scratching the body work.
I have a Tuono, but part of the reason I bought the bike was for the very compact riding position. The RSV4's that I've sat on feel very similar, just lower, so should be good for someone with short arms. Why not just sit on the bike in the showroom and put both feet on the pegs with the sidestand down and find out for yourself? The Tuono does feel better in this respect though.

Not sure if you are replying to me but if you go to the product page, it says "The front forks should be lowered 3 lines to maintain correct front to rear attitude."

The instruction portion of the product says "To lower the front loosen one fork leg at a time, and lower the front 20mm to match (approximately 4 lines)."

That is where my confusion is. In addition, it doesn't clearly state 40mm thus my asking for clarity.

DarK_SpY
06-20-2017, 08:33 PM
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?333830-Lowering
my girlfriend is 5'2" and she didn't lowered her 2016 rsv4 rr
im 5'7'' and it's fine, so at 5'6" no need to lower the bike in my opinion..

Revit
06-20-2017, 08:48 PM
I'm going this week to sit on an RSV4 and a Tuono (I'm 46 years old so seating position is a possible issue for me). It's super impressive if your girl can ride a stock height bike at her height. I've sat on a few liter bikes and have not felt a single one so far that I would be ok to ride. I need to reach the pavement man...lol

Sonny112
06-20-2017, 09:09 PM
I've sat on a few liter bikes and have not felt a single one so far that I would be ok to ride. I need to reach the pavement man...lol

You just think you do. I felt the same way when I bought my Ducati Monster 1200. I have an RSV4 trackbike and rode it on the street through Cali last year for 2500 miles in 3 weeks and I had zero issues, even w/ one extreme panic stop when a green Prius slammed on its brakes in front of me at a signal. Ride more, you'll get used to it. Before I bought my Monster, I dropped my old Honda 500 four times. No issues since on any bike.

RSV4RF_1
06-20-2017, 09:17 PM
If you feel like you need to lower it, go for it. Don't listen to other people.

I did the AF1 lowering links on my 16 RF. I measured the front and rear ride height before the change, and I had to lower the front more than 3 lines to have the same rake in the bike before the change. Ultimately I am about 3mm below the last line (a total of 34mm of fork exposed at the top) of the forks. I weigh 185 and have no clearance issues with the front fender under utmost compression. Oh, and the bike handles just fine. Between lowering it and putting a 15t front sprocket on, the wheelbase is close to the same. I'm sure the street Rossi's that think they know the difference will chime in.

It's your bike, make it how you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revit
06-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Guys - I have the solution to the short person - tall bike | tall Aprilia RSV4 problem. With the Ape, you don't want to mess around with the suspension or height by lowering forks - it will alter the bike's behaviour. You don't need to carve some foam out of the seat. You need a pair of these: Daytona M-Star GORE-TEX® boots. They have a raised internal sole and heel that adds around 1" to your height! Just bought a pair on recommendation from a friend and it's genius - they work. Purchased from FC-Moto in Germany (www.fc-moto.de (http://www.fc-moto.de)) for around £235 | $375 plus postage. Worth every penny.

Job done!!

John thank you so much for this info. These boots claim to add 6cm (2.3in) to a rider's stance and have tons of other comfort & safety features. I believe with a pair of these and maybe a shave of the seat I will be able to get my tiny body onto one of these beautiful machines......
problem #17 of 168 solved! (well, -$450).