PDA

View Full Version : Got my bike ready to track and now have some Q's

ceosurfer
11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey all. I just went and had a great first day at the track with my SXV. I spent a bit of time getting it ready and now I have some questions.

I purchased a number plate from AF1. It is the Aprilia factory version. I didn't realize that it would require removing the gauge to mount. No big deal as I tape over the one on my sport bike anyways so itís not like I need it. It also seemed that they wanted the relocation of the ignition key as well. I didn't really have the time to figure that out so I just cut a circle in the plastic mount to fit the cylinder inside. Fits great!

My question is about the gauges when I hook it all back up. Is the bikes electronics still recording things like mileage and service interval or is this all recorded by the gauge itself? Just wondering because I don't have any kind of alternative usage counter on the bike (hour count etc).

Honestly I may never put lights back on this thing. Itís so much more fun at the track. I would like to know when to change the oil and when itís time for a rebuild.

SXVINWA
11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I believe mileage is stored in the display only and engine run time is stored in the ECU. XV Tuner software will show the engine run hours when connected.

ceosurfer
11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
So if the previous owner had just tracked the bike, the mileage I read when I recently bought it could be way off?

Where do i get XV tuning software?

irie
11-11-2011, 05:00 PM
For track use change the oil before every weekend you go on track - engine, gearbox, and oil filter. Costs pennies in relation to track fees etc. and you can really feel the difference. Be sure to use a torque wrench especially for the oil pressure control valve (commonly called the FCV on this forum) and DO NOT over torque anything! If in doubt lockwire the drain bolts/plugs and then if anything undertorque drain bolts/plugs to ensure that you don't strip threads (yeah, I know, I've been there, done that! :o)

Just write the hours done in a log with your suspension changes. If you doon't have one then start a log book now. It's dead easy to make suspension changes then a couple of weeks later decide you want to go back to where you were before but don't remember those settings any more.

When your engine has done 'x' hours then it should have a top end strip and piston change. Some say every 40 hours, some say 80 hours. I just did it every year in the off season (winter) which seemed sensible. But I was road racing and the engines really got absolutely hammered on 1/2 to 1 mile straights! :eek:

king karl
11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
For track use change the oil before every weekend you go on track - engine, gearbox, and oil filter. Costs pennies in relation to track fees etc. and you can really feel the difference. Be sure to use a torque wrench especially for the oil pressure control valve (commonly called the FCV on this forum) and DO NOT over torque anything! If in doubt lockwire the drain bolts/plugs and then if anything undertorque drain bolts/plugs to ensure that you don't strip threads (yeah, I know, I've been there, done that! :o)

Mr tating ....how the fuckinghell are you

Have you still got aprilia

irie
11-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Mr tating ....how the fuckinghell are you

Have you still got aprilia

Yes lovey, still got two of them (Mrs. and mine).