PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System Question

optimal
11-10-2011, 10:43 AM
My 2010 RSV4R has 17,500klms on it now & over the last few months I noticed that after I've been for a ride 7 the bike gets warm, when I stop the engine It bubbles In the expansion tank for a short time.
Have spoken to Dealer & they say It's normal.
The bike doesn't overheat & has used probably used 100-150 ml of coolant over the last 6 months, should I be worried?

klowry
11-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I have 16,000 miles on mine now and it has never had to have any coolant added. He in Southern California, that was alot of hot riding in 100 degree+ weather. I did just have mine serviced 1500 miles ago, and they drained and changed coolant. I have not ever noticed any bubbling in the coolant tank.

Eppy
11-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I have 16,000 miles on mine now and it has never had to have any coolant added. He in Southern California, that was alot of hot riding in 100 degree+ weather. I did just have mine serviced 1500 miles ago, and they drained and changed coolant. I have not ever noticed any bubbling in the coolant tank.

Have you ever had the valves checked?

If so miles, results?

klowry
11-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, I had the full service done by the dealer at 14,500 miles, which was actually 12,700 miles on this motor after the mandatory replacement back in 2010.
Valves were all within spec.
they check and or replace everything in this service, fork seals and oil, oil filter and oil, new spark plugs, new air filter, steering stem bearings lube and adjust, valve cover gaskets replaced, fuel injection balance, coolant darined and new coolant installed etc.
Fairly pricey at just over 800 dollars. Good to get it done, runs exactly the same as prior to the service, which basically told me I was not having any issues prior to the service.

Chris_Mag
11-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I would pull the fairings and verify your not weeping from any of the hoses. Look for a white/pink residue indicating a slight coolant leak (dried coolant).

Eppy
11-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Yes, I had the full service done by the dealer at 14,500 miles, which was actually 12,700 miles on this motor after the mandatory replacement back in 2010.
Valves were all within spec.
they check and or replace everything in this service, fork seals and oil, oil filter and oil, new spark plugs, new air filter, steering stem bearings lube and adjust, valve cover gaskets replaced, fuel injection balance, coolant darined and new coolant installed etc.
Fairly pricey at just over 800 dollars. Good to get it done, runs exactly the same as prior to the service, which basically told me I was not having any issues prior to the service.

Good to know , thanks for the info and positive results. I plan on riding the snot out of mine and don't want to be concerned with the valves till the suggested mileage.

Rspec99
11-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I know it's off topic but it's good to hear of some V4's making it up to some decent mileage. With posts of bikes quiting and sensors failing, it gives us some hope.

DE80
11-11-2011, 04:44 AM
my 2010 RSV4r is got just 1,200 miles on the clock, had 2 oil changes, took a ride out over the weekend, covered about 200miles but when i got to a little traffic for about 8 mins, the engine hit up to 110 Celsius & began to flash the triangle hazard, it wasn't so much of a sunny day though & had to drain the OEM fluid & filled it up with a special coolant i got from revzilla "Engine Ice" (this actually worked perfect on my 2008 Yamaha R6 yellow cadium. is this normal & what do you advice to do if this ever occur?

Chris_Mag
11-11-2011, 02:02 PM
110C = 230F. I've seen as high as ~220 on a really hot day stuck in traffic, but never that high.

When your engine heated up that high, were both fans on? It might be worth verifying that the fans are functioning correctly. They should come on around 100c.

mknj235
11-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I have seen 228 on mine in the summer heat (90+) stuck at a light through multiple cycles. Never tossed a warning and it was pushing off a ton of heat so I assume the fans were running, the bike runs very hot for sure.