PDA

View Full Version : Help! Fuel injection problem with 08 sxv 550

iman0375
11-02-2011, 08:45 PM
I am having a problem with my 08 sxv 550, It wont start just cranks over and over, but every once and awhile it will get fuel and start.
I tried the following:
Checked all fuses with a multi meter (good)
checked for fuel from fuel pump
replaced fuel pump with new (thinking that was problem)
looked in carb barrels for fuel.(Fuel is inconsistent)
I get a spray of fuel every so often. (sometimes not at all)

Bike has started and ran ever so often but when I turn it off it wont start again. At this point I think something is wrong with the fuel injection and I'm not sure where to start.
Is there a fuel injection relay or control unit?
Is there a way to test the injectors for power and what should it read?

Please help

SXVINWA
11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Fuel injectors and spark signals are controlled directly bu the ECU. There is battery power at each injector and coil. The ECU provides a ground path for each at the calculated correct time.

I'd start by checking ground connections under the seat and connectors on the injectors and airbox wiring harness for good contact or corrosion.

Other than that, a better guess would require more info. How familiar are you with these bikes? Do you know how to correctly get it started? Do you know about the starting delay in the ECU (IE it doesn't try to start until it's been cranking for about three seconds if cold)? When it does start, does it seem to run ok?

Not meaning to insult with these questions, but I know my dealer DNS when I bought mine. Had to learn by trial and error with a lot of reading to go with it.

amauri
11-02-2011, 11:02 PM
How many miles on the motor?
I would do a compression test before going any further.

A normal reading is 55-75 psi if the valve clearances are ok and de-compressors working as they should.

Since you are able to start it occasionally, that tells me the injectors are fine.

iman0375
11-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I am real familiar with the bike and how to start it have had it since 08 and never a problem. I was on a ride and was going pretty hard turned bike off for a couple hours and went to restart it and it wouldn't start there is only 1100 miles on bike. I take care of my stuff so it has had a good life. I wasn't getting any fuel spray until I replaced the fuel pump and know I get spray but not consistent. Ground might be a problem I will check it out. The only time I get it to run is when I am messing with stuff so I will double check connections and look at all the grounds good idea. Thanks

I am definitely open for any more ideas!

iman0375
11-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Oh ya it does run fine when I can get it to start.

iman0375
11-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Still no luck have checked all connections and grounds seem to be good. I have power at both wires on fuel injectors. Not sure where to go now.

Any Ideas?

SXVINWA
11-07-2011, 06:42 PM
You should do the comp test as Amauri suggested.

Fuel, compression, ignition.... one of them is not right.

Have you checked spark? Verified the fuel line is not kinked with the tank down? Have you tried shooting a little fuel or starting fluid into the TB?

If all the basics seem fine, I'd start thinking about the timing from the crank angle sensor, but that should not allow it to run "once in a while".

It has never been stated or asked... did this bike run correctly in the past, or has it been like this the whole time? Problems may be due to poor initial setup if it's historical.