PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Service,pop, bang, stop.

mikef4uk
10-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Begining to wish I had kept my S1000RR, just on 1000 miles today and lining a Porsche up for a seeing to when no power, Urgent Service, and lots of flashing stuff, stopped, turned bike off and back on again and started, this time the TC (yellow) light stayed on and no TC number in dash.

Caught my mate up who was waiting and turned bike off again, and back on and all's back to normal, rode the 40 miles home no further lights, TC working again etc??

I really do hope this is not the sign of things to come

zvez
10-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Yep hate to say, I don't worry about engine reliability on this bike as I do all the electronics, as I've said before, the more leccy bits you have the more for potential fails

Chris

Rspec99
10-15-2011, 02:38 PM
It might be worthwhile to stop by your dealer and ask them to see if there are any codes stored on the ecu and find out what tripped the urgent service. It could be just a faulty sensor going out of spec but it would be a good idea to get it tested or replaced so thay she doesn't leave you stranded in the middle of no where if the system doesn't reboot.

It is amazing how much electronics are involved in modern bikes. Even in world SBK, Ten Kate Honda was having race ending problems when they decided to adopt a ride by wire system. Last week, electronics on John Hopkin's Crescent Suzuki crapped out on him causing him to restart the bike putting him near the back of the pack and ultimately costing him the championship.

Those race bikes have electronics that cost many more times than our bikes and full-time technicians working on them and they're experiencing problems. Unfortunately this is always the case when you're pushing the envelope of technical sophistication.

mikef4uk
10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks, are there any DIY home diagnostics? I bought a VDST from technoresearch for my MV that allowed all the sensors to be monitored and fault codes reset

Rspec99
10-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Right now, I don't think there are any home brew ways of accessing fault codes. I am hoping that in the future Tuneboy or TuneECU will allow access to the RSV4's ECU so that we can go in and access the diagnostic info as well as map it on our own.

mikef4uk
10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Technoresearch do list the RSV4 with 7sm ecu, I have emailed them to see what functions are available

mikef4uk
10-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Just a thought....................

I have an Audi TTRS, the other day I jumped in it and put my mobile on the centre console next to the electronic heater control (I never put it there normally) it rang and cut out and when I looked up the engine ECU light was on.

I got the fault read out and had it reset, it has not come on since, now, I put my phone in my chest pocket which is pretty close to the bikes ecu..............I wonder????????

Jaguar
10-17-2011, 12:20 AM
A search will show that a few of us have had 1 or 2 "urgent service" events that have cleared themselves after 2 'reboots" (i.e. restarts) & that a fair percentage (including me) have had no further issues.

In my case, I had the "engine blipping itself to 4-5k rpm" problem on 2 occasions when coasting to a stop in neutral. The 2nd time was at 800km approx. I now have 3700km on it and have had no recurrence. My mechanic suspects a sensor fault (apparently 1 other bike he looks after had this problem and a replaced TPS fixed it), but - despite a new TPS not arriving yet - the problem seems to have disappeared.

Good luck.

pete roper
10-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Right now, I don't think there are any home brew ways of accessing fault codes. I am hoping that in the future Tuneboy or TuneECU will allow access to the RSV4's ECU so that we can go in and access the diagnostic info as well as map it on our own.

Or you could enter the service code 12412 and use the dashboard to look at them......

Chris_Mag
10-17-2011, 01:21 AM
The APRC controller is mounted on the inside of the left fairing. Might check that the connected is fully seated into the plug.

HSP
10-17-2011, 01:38 AM
I am going to take a guess that it will be somewhat universal, 'things to come' no matter the brand. Or until CAN COM becomes less cross-X-pinged. For example, your computer does a lot of traffic. Either typing, listening to music, downloading your mail, opening up another browser, etc. Your computer has to jump wire in order not to cross each other and stop the signal.

Search, CAN communication. In a nutshell, I have video that shows a lot of spiking and this to me means CAN com. Once the data is interrupted, say a loop has been compromised by some aftermarket wire(s), or say the bike is stock. The downside to any computer bike is a loss of spark. I've had it happen to my japanese bike, so that was take-out. Same is going to happen with pizza-pulse. That italian tuneup will lose spark from the spike in the CAN.

How so? Well, I have to conclude;
1. No code.
2. No failed code after start.
3. No phantom code continues to park you on the side of the road.
4. No problems forward after the key clears all interruptions.
5. No, I think is was the CAN COM on the spike. Something somewhere pinged the bike possibly at the black box.

Bike still runs. Normal computer bike glitch. It happens. That is my cross examination.

mikef4uk
10-17-2011, 03:23 AM
Or you could enter the service code 12412 and use the dashboard to look at them......

I did that, nothing logged, I thought the dash only looked at immobilisor type stuff?

mikef4uk
10-17-2011, 03:35 AM
The APRC controller is mounted on the inside of the left fairing. Might check that the connected is fully seated into the plug.

Thanks Chris, I have actually had that unplugged after my first service. the bike shop is down some rather muddy lanes and the bike looked very secondhand so I removed the fairings/belly pan to clean it, I did also 'bag' the multi pin plug to prevent moisture entering it, I know I plugged it back until the 'click' of the catch.

I'm still thinking it was my phone, I know it set my TTRS engine warning light off, just too much of a coincidence not to be, i.e. in 10,000 miles not a fault, then within 200 yards of putting my mobile there (for the first time) a missed call and a warning light.
My last TT did a similar thing as well, the electronic heater control went berserk, fans came on flat out and all the heater indicator lights were flashing.........that was the only other time I have ever put my mobile there.

As I said I was just about to see a Porsche off coming out of a corner, so I was pretty much moving across the bike with RH elbow rubbing the tank and also leaning over the tank which would have put my phone virtually directly over the ecu.

Also at work the techs that work for me are not allowed mobiles or emergency radio's in the plant as calls have tripped the plant computers out losing us tens of thousands of 's of production

JC120
10-17-2011, 08:01 AM
I play guitar and when my phone rings while it's sitting on top of the amplifier, you can here how much it interferes with the electronics.

zvez
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Just one more of many reasons not to ride with a phone turned on! ;)

Chris

Thanks Chris, I have actually had that unplugged after my first service. the bike shop is down some rather muddy lanes and the bike looked very secondhand so I removed the fairings/belly pan to clean it, I did also 'bag' the multi pin plug to prevent moisture entering it, I know I plugged it back until the 'click' of the catch.

I'm still thinking it was my phone, I know it set my TTRS engine warning light off, just too much of a coincidence not to be, i.e. in 10,000 miles not a fault, then within 200 yards of putting my mobile there (for the first time) a missed call and a warning light.
My last TT did a similar thing as well, the electronic heater control went berserk, fans came on flat out and all the heater indicator lights were flashing.........that was the only other time I have ever put my mobile there.

As I said I was just about to see a Porsche off coming out of a corner, so I was pretty much moving across the bike with RH elbow rubbing the tank and also leaning over the tank which would have put my phone virtually directly over the ecu.

Also at work the techs that work for me are not allowed mobiles or emergency radio's in the plant as calls have tripped the plant computers out losing us tens of thousands of 's of production

mikef4uk
10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Just one more of many reasons not to ride with a phone turned on! ;)

Chris

Yeah ! turned off for all future rides.

It's odd, just talking to different people today and:

Local car park, no one could lock their cars-reason?-New radio's at nearby Ambulance centre.

Work colleagues new Merc, would'nt start in his garage-Reason?-remote control's for his garage door and gates.

Neighbours car would'nt lock/unlock, reason?-next door neighbour just installed a new wireless door bell!! :WTF:

mikef4uk
10-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Well if nothing else this piece of shit will keep me fit, Urgent service 2 miles from home and no more go, I think I have made a mistake, in 30+ years I have never pushed a motorcycle..............until I bought an Aprilia

rs250slowpoke
10-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Well if nothing else this piece of shit will keep me fit, Urgent service 2 miles from home and no more go, I think I have made a mistake, in 30+ years I have never pushed a motorcycle..............until I bought an Aprilia

U must not have owned a Duc before lol. Lots of pushing there

mikef4uk
10-23-2011, 01:57 AM
U must not have owned a Duc before lol. Lots of pushing there

Yep....748SP...........916.........900 monster.........S4 Monster........S4R Monster..........MV750........MV1000S..........MV1 000R.

None of the above Italian bikes have ever let me down

V4Victory
10-23-2011, 02:22 AM
I feel your pain Mike

512BB
10-23-2011, 11:12 AM
In my opinion another mis-engineering example by Aprilia. As an aside, years ago, to get certification in the US cars had to go through the "Radio America" test, whereby the car had to drive by the antenna for Radio America without interference to the electronics.

I wonder if they still have that test?

JPP
10-23-2011, 01:14 PM
My kitchen microwave knocks out our wireless internet. Just figured it out after much foul language and screaming. One of those "give me a break" moments

chrisw
10-23-2011, 05:05 PM
My kitchen microwave knocks out our wireless internet. Just figured it out after much foul language and screaming. One of those "give me a break" moments

You should consider buying a new microwave. Or at least get a test for it. Microwave ovens contain their radiation using a faraday cage, which should contain all electromagnetic signals at at least that 2.4Ghz band. If it's starting to leak, there's a potential danger from microwave burns.

JPP
10-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks. It's gone today!

JC120
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
In my opinion another mis-engineering example by Aprilia. As an aside, years ago, to get certification in the US cars had to go through the "Radio America" test, whereby the car had to drive by the antenna for Radio America without interference to the electronics.

I wonder if they still have that test?
If this is the case, is there a way to shield the electronics on the RSV4?

Chris_Mag
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
If this is the case, is there a way to shield the electronics on the RSV4?

I think you'd have to be careful to avoid trapping or reflecting heat into the electronics into the process.