PDA

View Full Version : Stock Exhaust Makeover

Titan077
10-14-2011, 08:16 PM
With the limited number of aftermarket exhaust on the market and their cost...I was wondering if anyone has considered modifying the stock units. I honestly like the look quite a bit and want to keep it.

I am not a exhaust guy or a mechanic but in the past I have sent exhaust off to a guy or a shop that modes your stock units opening them up a little and getting some more sound from the motor.

Anyone else considering this idea or know of someone who has done it.

Thanks
Chaz

redduro
10-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Well I for one just want the weight loss from an aftermarket exhaust and the benefit of a few extra ponies, the idea of modding the stock exhaust for more noise doesnt peak my interest.

Titan077
10-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I hear ya, everyone has different modivations. To me 1599 is not worth what you get from the arrows. If you did the stock mod right I am sure you would lose some weight, pick up some power, and yes noise... Not at much as a true aftermarket, but better than stock and possibly at a fraction of the price.

I would like to see the dyno from Centerline after AF1 modified his Arrows removing the converters...

The stock pipe on my 09 Concours was so heavy that when I engaged my cruise control (aftermarket) it would pull the bike slightly to the right!!! I picked up a V&H for 399, a lot easier pill to swallow, and no more pull.

Chaz

Titan077
10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Not that there was any interest in this thread, but I wanted to follow up on the project I am considering. I didn't get any feedback concerning a shop that had done work on Aprilia exhaust. In the past I have had KD Fabrication modify stock exhaust on my Buell ($400) and VTX ($300) with great success:)

http://www.kdfab.com/drummerphotographs.htm There is a tab for custom fabrication.

They do mainly specialize in Buell exhaust but are a group of guys that have been involved with racing longer that I have been alive. The guy in charge is Kevin and very easy to work with. I am will be contacting them about working over the Dorso pipes.

I am sure it will take some time but I will give an update on the end product.

:peace:

Chaz

motardman
11-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Not that there was any interest in this thread, but I wanted to follow up on the project I am considering. I didn't get any feedback concerning a shop that had done work on Aprilia exhaust. In the past I have had KD Fabrication modify stock exhaust on my Buell ($400) and VTX ($300) with great success:)

http://www.kdfab.com/drummerphotographs.htm There is a tab for custom fabrication.

They do mainly specialize in Buell exhaust but are a group of guys that have been involved with racing longer that I have been alive. The guy in charge is Kevin and very easy to work with. I am will be contacting them about working over the Dorso pipes.

I am sure it will take some time but I will give an update on the end product.

:peace:

Chaz

Mate I'll be very interested to see how this goes for you as I was considering exactly the same thing. I love the heat shield shape of the stock cans and would like to keep it as the Leos etc. just look a bit odd without that flush fitting piece.

My concerns are....how easy are the stock cats to remove and after removing the baffling within the stock cans will they be a harsher/louder sound than the aftermarket ones.....