PDA

View Full Version : 1999 rs 50 2yr project

nicketynoo
10-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Hi
welcome to my rs 50 project. Won this basket case on Ebay for 260 with the intention of doing it up for my son who will shortly turn 14. Therefore I've got a good 2 yrs to get it up to scratch.I'm hoping to get it up to a very good standard ,something for him to be proud of, and hopefully along the way get him interested in a bit of spanner work and drag him away from his playstation.
Although I haven't got an unlimited supply of cash ,I am willing to pay for jobs which I aren't confident to take on myself,such as the panel paintwork.
after seeing similar projects fetching well over 300 on Ebay I thought I'd bagged myself a bargain, but after seeing its condition I'm not so sure.
This is my first aprilia bike and had sports mopeds back in the eighties ( yam rd50, suzuki ap 50) and was originally looking for something similar for a project but love the rs 50's and seems like plenty of spares available.
like this forum and the fact that people are willing to give good advice and help along the way, I'm sure I'm going to need it.
The bike is a 1999 model on a V plate and was supposedly only needing the following to make good.
Clutch basket complete
exhaust
throttle cable
gear lever and linkage
right hand switch gear
barrel and piston kit
rear brake bleeding

reality is it needs loads more, the bikes done 40 000 miles and has had 1 very careful owner. trouble is the other 14 were complete hooligans ha ha! Can't believe its had 15 owners, thats more than 1 per year at this rate I could be the longest owner of it .I'll try and get some pics on but unsure how to do it.

well managed 2 pics. obviously loads of bits but notice the lack of side panels.
Only the biggest parts and forgot all about them when picking the bike up from approx 150 miles away DOH! Good job my dads staying somewhere close and will be delivering them at the end of October. I've stripped it a bit since getting it home including splitting the frame and removing the forks.
As you can see there's a nice ding in the left hand frame .I'll be having that filled with weld at work shortly before having it all powder coated.

I've got access to a bead blaster and a large polishing wheel which will come in handy and have already blasted the rear frame,engine cradle,centre stand bracket,clock mounting bracket,side stand and passenger footrest hangers. Took these to a local powder coating firm yesterday and should be ready by friday. 60 cash in hand for the lot which sounds pretty good value to me. Pics of these when painted to follow.
The pic of the nose cone doesn't really do it justice. The screen looks a nice dark tinted one but if you look closely you might just make out its actually been hand painted black ( looks like a yard brush was used). Also some really nice indicators srewed onto the side. Thought they were usually fitted through the side panels?? BIN BAIT!!

Pics of the switches show the originals at the bottom complete with a knob which was wired to start the bike after the right hand switch unit failed. Top switches are used replacements I've bought from ebay which are slightly different. Bit larger but also left hand switch should have a lever for a cable operated choke which could come in useful later, but the lever didn't come with the switches. Why is nothing straight forward?
The carb is a Dellorto sha 14 12 m , which is missing the choke lever . Have already been advised to ditch this carb as they're crap.(thanks RS Patrick).
Pistons got a nice hole in the top edge but barrel looks fine ,no scores although I haven't had it measured.It was well rusty but have blasted it and might just even try a new piston when I eventually get round to the engine.

Lots of bits, sure they all go somewhere "eventually".

The good bits! Not many.

And the final result!

Well what I'm aiming for. Got to have a target!

Things to do in the short term:-
Frame repair and powder coat (think shadow chrome would look nice)
wheels to remove and powder coat ( definitely shadow chrome.)
fork tubes to have rechromed. ( pitted not at seals but look messy. )
check steering head bearings
paint front brake caliper. Already prepped this for painting but then found bleed nipple siezed and have sheared this off. Oh and just to make it worse have sheared an easy out in what remains of the bleed nipple Aaaaaaargh. Pics and story to follow.
seems I've used up my attachment allowance of 10.Does that mean I have to start a new thread? surely not suspect i can reply and add more? help please.

nicketynoo
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Wow can't believe it got a call at dinner time today (thurs) from the powder coaters asking me to pick my bits up as they were ready.
Only took them in yesterday evening 5pm.

Bloody lovely they're as smooth as a babies bum! Can't believe I'm getting excited about some painted brackets. Does it always get you like this?
Anyway beter get them off my living room carpet and into the garage before my missus gets home.:WTF: She'll bloody well kill me . Ha Ha!

RS_Patrick
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Someone crashed that bike really hard in the past.

use ww.photobucket.com to upload loads and big pictures, that way you dont use up the forum space, just klick the img link under the miniature pic and past it here, and we see the full picture.

Looks like a nice project to work 2 years on, cant wait to see the end results.

P.S. that Radiator is something you better be really carfull with, its 3 times as fat as the "normal"one, they only installed those rads shortly untill they found they had to much cooling capacity, the stock bike's engine hardly gets to operating temp with that thing, so its great for someone who has a tuned/big bore setup.

nicketynoo
10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
yeah you're right RS someone did crash it hard. Maybe my first pic shows what it was like after the crash, rather than after the dismantling.
The bracket for the clocks was fairly well bent, I've straightened it best I could by eyesight in a vice. I just hope its ok when I come to fitting the nose cone.
The handle bars are wrecked as well. The bolts are bent and the end of the bars are splayed out as if a gorilla has tightened them in!
Getting the parts powder coated has been an early boost and makes me feel like the projects up and running.

littlefeller
10-13-2011, 04:53 PM
two years - no chance, it will be running by christmas. once you start you wont be able to stop.

Hardcastle95
10-13-2011, 05:04 PM
two years - no chance, it will be running by christmas. once you start you wont be able to stop.

:plus:

RS_Patrick
10-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Fork legs are a gonner also.
In the 3rd picture you can see the engine cradle has been rewelded, and looks like it has not been done wel.
And the Crack in the right frame half is pretty serious also, its really posible that its gonna extend over time, i would really give that some atencion.

littlefeller
10-14-2011, 02:12 AM
frame and fork sets can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay, you just have to be patient untill a cheap one comes on. private sellers are cheaper than breakers on ebay, but then breakers will offer some sort of gurantee, personaly i just take the risk and buy from private sellers. my friend had one, i will ask if he still has it. think the forks were derby but he comented at the time that they are the same. as for engine parts i have a huge pile.

RS_Patrick
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Derbi forks legs are difrent mate, there Upside Downs... they wont ever fit, unless your mate has a 2006> model wich is basicly a Derbi GPR.

littlefeller
10-14-2011, 04:53 PM
yes it was a later one, but he did have a 97 frame and a 2000 frame, i havnt seen him since i changed my job, i will pop over this weekend and see what else he has, hopefully a rear end for the conversion he he.

nicketynoo
10-15-2011, 05:55 AM
How come the forks are knackered is that cos they look bent ,if so I didn't notice or cos they're pitted. If its cos they're pitted couldn't I get them re-chromed or would it be better to but new tubes? can't see new tubes listed on official spares sites for Marzocchi's only Kaiffa. Recently bought some forks off E bay have a look see at these babies. apparently well worth doing up!

This one shows that they'd obviously been removed with a sledge hammer and I wouldn't consider they were worth doing up. sent them back for a refund. Thats why I'd rather buy some parts new and not take a chance!

Pinch bolt had been drilled out by a blind man with a sledge hammer.Seller said he didn't notice the damage and couldn't be bothered to argue with me.( was he the blind man doing the drilling???)

nicketynoo
10-15-2011, 07:12 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APRILIA-RS50-FORK-SLEEVE-NEW-99-05-/350488923676?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item519ac48e1c[/URL]
Any chance someone could check this out see if its suitable for my project.Would be worth buying if it is sounds like a bargain.

JimmySR
10-15-2011, 08:49 AM
not a clue on the fork sleeve but lovely project! youll definitely have it up and running in no time, 2 years is about a year n a half too long :P

hope your kid loves it

RS_Patrick
10-15-2011, 01:16 PM
You need to replace the sleeves as they call it, i can see on your pictures of the legs there are marks on them, and those marks will damadge the fork seals causing them to leak.
Easpecaily the one in the second pic you posted, but it lookas like the other one has damadge on it also.

The Marzocchi legs are difrent from the Kaifa legs, but the Marzocchi legs are no longer sold/available, wich means if you break any part of the fork leg your seriously screwed and if you want to replace it be new you have to buy a whole new Kaifa fork.

On top of that with marks like than on the legs its unlikly that there still straight since its clear they took a beating.

littlefeller
10-15-2011, 02:41 PM
i found gumtree to be a godsent, try it. damn shouldent be giving away my goldmine so easly.

nicketynoo
10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
managed to get the sheared bleed nipple out. Sorry there's no picture of what the caliper was originally like. But suffice to say it was looking very grubby and unloved. If anyone knows what size nipple I need to replace it with I'd be grateful.

A bit of cleaning up in the bead blaster.Careful around the pistons though!
this shows where the nipple was sheared off,it also has an easy out sheared in there so drilling out was out of the question. The new pad slider bolts were originals for a "gilera hexagon dna" .The old ones were rounded off and needed replacing. Couldn't find any listed for aprillia RS 50. Saw these on E-bay and they looked right so took a chance. Around 7 plus postage so better than 40 for an original rev kit.

Mig welded a small piece of flat to the top of the sheared nipple and applied a bit of heat. managed to get it started to unscrew like this.

Hey presto got the little bugger out! :worship:
Another cleanup in the blaster and a little squirt of paint and whoa its nearly like a new one.

Just need the new nipple now so come on help out what size 6,7 or 8mm?

RS_Patrick
10-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Gilera DNA uses the same caliper, so those pars just fit.

If you need a new bleeder nipple, coulnt you just mesure the remains of the old one?
That should be easy enough :)

littlefeller
10-21-2011, 02:12 AM
be carefull with what you blast, engine parts are a no no. i know a guy who sandblasted his cylinder head rocker cover on his car (cant imagine why), needless to say when the ally heated up a shed load of sand came out of the ally and destroyed his engine, and another even dafter case, - i also remember a time when another aqaintance has his frame for his honda 550 powder coated, looked real nice, however the frame was blasted at the paint shop, not so bad you might think but this perticular honda uses part of the frame as its sump ooops.

think they are 7mm, at least they are on 06 onwards. i had to change one for a friend.

cool idea with the removal

nicketynoo
10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
SANTA CAME EARLY

Browsing E-Bay and came across these bargains

The forks were 60+9 P+P and were advertised as having no pitting and in excellent condition. As you can see from the next picture they have a small amount of pitting .The one shown is the worst and could quite easily be hidden,its also nowhere near the seals,which are also good. Am going to use these to get the bike up and running and might decide to have the original set re-furbed at a later date.
The clutch,radiator top yoke ,hoses and rear brake hose were job lot and cost 15 + 11 P+P. Quite handy as I needed a clutch, the top yoke is also better than my original and as pointed out by RS Patrick my original Rad was far too big. Thanks again RS I wouldn't have known any different. Thats the great thing about this Forum.:worship:
The radiator looks a bit of a train wreck but with a few hours of tlc ,reckon it'll be useable.

The rear wheel was a cow to get off due to the rear spindle being siezed.Took a few gallons of penetrating oil , a good soak and a bit of gentle persuasion with a lump hammer. Managed to damage the thread slightly on the spindle and ruin the nut, but dressed the threads up with a thread file and will get a new shiny nut to match later.( M14 x 1.5 if anyones interested)
The usual blasting of the spindle and a buff on the caliper mount has got them looking good to go.

Surprisingly the wheel is in excellent condition and doesn't really need any work therefore the shadow chroming has been cancelled and I'll settle for the front wheel powder coated black. The rear disc has plenty of meat on it.Had to apply some heat though to thebolts to free it off. Replacement bolts will be fitted to tart it up a bit.The front disc however has become a frisbee . when measured it was down to 3mm.
Have just crept past the 500 mark now which includes the original 260 for the bike so need to ease up a bit on spending before xmas.
If there wasn't P+P to pay on spares they'd be half price:soap:

This shows the difference between the thickness in the 2 radiators.

Anyone need a super cool rad for their race project make me an offer I can't refuse!!!

Also forgot to mention the frames gone into the welders for a proper repair job. That should only cost a 6 pack of beer tho' cos its mates rates!! Bloody good welder too,very handy to know.

Hardcastle95
10-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I'll give you a faver + p&p for the rad, local race track doesn't allow coolant to be used as its a pig to clean up so bike heats up more than usual as you're only allowed to use water in the cooling system

RS_Patrick
10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Pic is unsharp but as long as the fork legs are really straigh and dont have pits or scratches that posibly can get as far as the seals wen the fork legs get fully compressed, your ok.

Make sure your new rad is in good condition, clean and clear internaly and not leaking before selling the fat one.

@Hardcastle: dont just just water in the Radiator for track days mate, use destiled water with bore/drill oil mixed in it, google it if you dont get what i mean, keeps your pump lubed and avoids corrosion, also with distiled water you dond get deposits from the minirals in the water, and some say the bore/drill oil soaks up the heat better. I believe its called Bronopol or something.

Hardcastle95
10-26-2011, 06:10 AM
I'll have to ask if drill oil is okay to use. Good thinking patrick :)

littlefeller
10-26-2011, 06:50 AM
more commonly known as suds

@niketynoo. you might find it cheaper to buy a basket case like i did. you can then sell on all the parts you dont need, and make some money on the postage like everyone else does.

if i had just stripped mine down when i first brought it i could have quadrupled what i paid for it.
think the build cost is well over 400 now. lost count or dont want to think about it. its just sitting there on my drive now. thinking its time to sell and start another one, although i might change the clock faces first, see there i go again.

besides if i sell now my missus will just spend it on christmas.

nicketynoo
10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Cheers littlefeller I did buy a basket case and thats what I'm trying to get back up and running. I've already realised this one should probably been sold off in bits as its got too few decent parts but I am committed to getting it done now.Have started flogging the odd spare on E-bay to offset the cost a bit but I realised before taking this on that it would cost more than the finished article would be worth. But then again at least I'll have a good bike that I know the condition of all the parts. Besides thats not what its about! everyone needs a hobby to get them out of the house.

Hardcastle you said you'd give me a faver for the radiator. knowing you boys from Scarborough it would most likely be a sexual faver! ha ha. probably couldn't refuse that tho'! he he.

littlefeller
10-26-2011, 03:07 PM
if you need engine parts cheap, let me know before i clear out and sell it on ebay.

RS_Patrick
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM
I'll have to ask if drill oil is okay to use. Good thinking patrick :)

It is as they use it in racing engines, dont recall the percentage though, but not much was needed.

Hardcastle95
10-27-2011, 08:32 AM
oh god. i meant a fiver :L damn iphone :P

RS_Patrick
10-28-2011, 07:23 AM
oh god. i meant a fiver :L damn iphone :P

You got the exact same radiator in your bike, so dont know why you want this one.

@nicketynoo: make sure you use copper grease wen you fit things back to gether to stop bolts and nots from corroding again.

Check the bracket for the rear brake caliper as it looks they fitted a bolt trough there thats not original, if the thread is gone in there replace it, they dont cost much new. you dont want the caliper to be able to move as it than might come in contact with the disk.

nicketynoo
11-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Not been on for a while but finally got round to it. Been busy at work fabricating a rear paddock stand.
Managed to get the ding in the frame welded at work , the welder wouldn't even take any sort of payment for it RESULT! Although he only welded it and wouldn't grind it down .Didn't want to take responsibility if anything went wrong. Soon sorted that out though!

The welds been left proud,just a little bit of rubbing and hey presto!
Just left a small hole from the welding ,but I reckon that'll disappear when its painted

.I was right for once!

Paid 40 to have the frame powder coated at a local alloy wheel repair centre, and was so pleased with it I took the front wheel, top yoke and swinging arm to them to be coated in gloss black. Thats just about everything powder coated that needs to be now totalling 160. Not bad I think.

LET THE BUILDING COMMENCE!!

Also picked this little bargain up from ebay.Wasn't particularly searching for it but it just jumped out at me shouting BUY ME! BUY ME! 30 which includes postage for a brand new rear cowl, exactly the right colours .Just a small nick on each side on the black decal.Really hard to see after a dab with an indellible marker.

Have had to order a new spacer and bushes for the swinging arm as the originals were knackered. One of the O rings was damaged and had let water in corroding the spacer and so wearing the bush. The spacer was siezed in the bushes, bet the handling can't have been too great. Just waiting for them to arrive and then can get it built up and get the wheels in.
I'd like to get an original sticker for the swinging arm which shows the chain adjustment. Does anyone know if you can get them from aprilia? some decal sets are shown but it doesn't seem to list exactly what they contain.

RS_Patrick
11-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Nice fix on the frame, Aluminium welding is normaly pretty expensive so your lucky he did it for free.

You can buy those decals in a kit from aprilia but they do not specify whats in them, they just say technical decal set, on top of that you need to order the right one for the right year and country, so if i where you i just call Aprilia (Piaggio) UK and ask.

Pertsonaly i would not bother with the decal, especaily since you got a black swingarm anyway.

nicketynoo
12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Ok here we are again .Been a busy boy buying and making bits up to scratch !
Got a cheap pbhn carb from ebay for a fiver. Had to get a new throttle adjuster tube for it and a refurb kit from aprilia.

I've had it in the Ultrasonic bath at work so its now nice and clean inside and out. The main jet's a 74 which I believe is standard. The reason for choosing this carb over the original sha carb is that it uses a cable choke and the sha's lever was snapped off. ( I know you said they're crap RS but for a fiver I'll give it a go. )
Also purchased some wheel rim tape from the bay.(thanks for the recommendation from littlefeller.) Got the 6mm ones in sections. They were really easy to apply and for the money I reckon they're the best value add-on ever!

before

After

Also gave the rear caliper a a fettle same as the front. Had to buy a new pin for the shoes cos I misplace the original DOH! Over 20 from Aprilia, don't think so! got one for a vespa lml, the pin looked a bit too long so I cut it down and put a new groove in it for the clip. Less than a tenner! Good news!

For anyone interested, and following this, the brake bleed nipples were 8 x 1.0 mm thread. I made a mistake and bought 8 x 1.5 mm first ,so hopefully this will stop other owners making the same error.
RS you were saying about the bolts through the caliper. they're both different sizes on mine and ones a nut and bolt and the other's threaded in the bracket. What size should they be ? and should both holes be threaded in the caliper bracket?

checked the right hand side footpeg bracket and the small stub for the lever stopper had snapped off.My welder mate tried welding it back but blew a hole in it, so he just built a new one out of weld,then shaped it and drilled and tapped it out. Clever bloke. Handy with a welding gun but lethal with a grinder. Made a bit of a mess but it'll clean up and I'm spraying them anyway!

I'm gonna start tackling the engine next and need to sort the clutch so I'll have some questions about that later. decided to spray the engine casings in preparation.

All Primered up ready

As if by magic!
ooh shiny I like shiny!!

Have got a great workshop at work for spraying. Loads of room and always kept nice and cosy.

Have got a rolling chassis now ,which is where I wanted to be at xmas. Picked up a great tank cover for 20 too, the original was cracked and needed plastic welding, think this would have cost more than twenty notes. The tanks excellent but shame its the wrong colour.

Here it is looking good! Very pleased with progress so far.

nicketynoo
12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Almost forgot have a bit of useful money saving info. Needed a new brake light switch for the front lever and being a tight sod ,wasn't willing to pay over 20 for one. I measured the original and looked on RS components website. Found loads of pcb microswitches that would fit . Best option tho was RS order number 472-8162 this has a 10A 1/4 hp rating same as the original and costs just over 2. RS will charge around 5 postage but if theres one near you you can pick them up. Bargain.
There exactly the right size and look good quality.
Alternatively there's someone on ebay selling the exact same switch for 7 with free postage,he's even offering a soldering service. If you send him your original wiring complete with a SAE he'll solder the swich on free of charge. Sounds too good to be true. The sellers name is NCKETYNOO.
Oh well if you can't beat 'em. Join 'em. Ha ha!

Go on treat yourself! Cheap as chips!!

RS_Patrick
12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
If it says Aprilia its sudenly expensive, even with the new 2006 model etc. where they use the same parts as the Derbi, for a really strange reason the packadging costs you up to 200% extra just because it says Aprilia, while whats inside is exactly the same thing as the Derbi, so Piaggio just think of Aprilia as a good milk cow...

Piaggio = Vespa, Puch, Gilera, Derbi, Aprilia ( <- as from 2004), and Moto Guzzi

Michelet
12-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Wow, this is a pretty nice project!
Love your "passion" to the bike, got a project running myself. Will post here on the forum soon!

What kind of paint did you use on the engine components? (Clutch, water pump etc.)

nicketynoo
12-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement Michelet. Get your project on here ,I like to see different projects and love learning new facts and fixes for problems. I am really into this project now and am glad I've decided to save this bike from the scrapheap. My boy's really enjoying it too and loves sitting on it now its a rolling chassis, although he's struggling to touch the ground.He'll need to grow a bit in the next 2 years. Saying that I can only just touch down myself.I can't believe the size of these bikes.
The paint I used on the side casings was just 5 wheels silver ,you can get it from any car parts shop over here. Some biker friends assured me it would be fine for the casings ,but I'm not sure, its not particularly heat resistant.I'm worried about the water pump area as I reckon this will get the hottest. I'm sure it'll be ok on the plastic casings .
i've recently repainted the radiator. Its been through a solvent cleaning bath and had a good blast off with air. All the flaking paints been removed with emery cloth and the fins have been straightened as best as possible.
here it is hung from the crane in our wokshop at work ready for spraying.

Used engine casing paint on this so its fine for the heat. Took a good 24 hours to dry though. Feels really silky, well pleased!

had a bit of a fettle up of the starter motor ,too. Good clean up and a bit of buffing. protected the bits I thought may corrode with some clear lacquer.

Can make a start on the engine now. First job to re-fix the balancing shaft gear.

Searched high and low for the key but couldn't find it anywhere,had to set to and make a new one from key steel. Half an hour in the workshop and hey presto!

Did anyone spot the deliberate mistake in the previous photo. The nut shown was the one for the clutch.I tried several times to fit it to the balancer shaft, thinking it had probably got damaged .But then realised it looked a lot finer thread ,even though it was same diameter. Another half an hour rummaging in bags and containers provided the correct nut.

Look at the fit of that key.Spot on.
Confession time! The fitter at work made it not me, another good job done cheap.
I am so pleased the previous owner didn't split the engine casings, think there'd be so many more small but vital parts missing!

Managed to source a left hand clutch pushrod for a fiver ( not bad ).

Just about ready to fit the clutch now,decided to fit the uprated brand new plates and springs supplied with bike.That way if we decide to increase the power later that will be easier. Need to make a tool to hold the basket whilst tightening the nut.Will copy the suggested one in Haynes manual unless anyone has got a better Idea to do the job!

Items required for engine build :-

full gasket set
water pump refurb kit
cylinder stud. ( one missing.)
piston kit ( standard. )
small end bearing.
engine oil.

Michelet
12-27-2011, 01:05 PM
That radiator was looking goooood! :D

I got a quite good idea for you, I have used it a couple of times.
First you take a screwdriver, and stick it through the rod. Remember to remove the bearing! Then you take a piece of cloth and wrap around the ends of the screwdriver. (To protect the engine).

After this you can tighten the nut! :)

RS_Patrick
12-27-2011, 02:30 PM
You mean to tighten the nuts for crank up? that works aslong as you do not over tighten the nuts, but still theres a risk the big end conrod bearing is not gonna like it to much.

Michelet
12-27-2011, 03:10 PM
About the engine painting.
I think the clutch cover will be too hot for normal paint.. :(

nicketynoo
12-31-2011, 11:06 AM
The paint on the casings was playing on my mind and didn't want to take the risk of it bubbling up later when the bike was up and running. Apart from that the engine had rolled over in my car boot and scratched the generator cover and front sprocket cover:crybaby:
decided to re-do them last night. So pleased I did, had them through the bead blaster and re-coated in engine enamel, ok up to 300 degrees. Although its hard to see in the pics the finish is much better. Looks so good I'm gonna do the footpeg hangers in the same paint.

Also have fitted the clutch now. New conti racing clutch plates that were supplied with the bike, gave them a good soaking overnight in fresh oil.

Made myself a tool for holding the clutch inner whilst torquing up to 60nm. Michelet I didn't think I could get the torque wrench in using your method and wanted to make sure it was done right.

finished off with the clutch plates and also fitted the uprated springs that came with the clutch kit.

Now that looks like a happy clutch!:)

I must admit I never really understood fully how the clutch operates but now I am quite confident its built up correctly. My boy helped me with it and hopefully he's learnt something useful too!
The only unanswered question I've got is setting up the centre screw adjustment. I screwed it in until it was pressing up to the pushrod then backed it off half a turn. Can't find any reference to this in manuals but reckon this should be correct. Tried operating it and it all seems to work ok, will find out later when the engines up and running.

Won't be completing much more for a while cos I'm off to sunny Lanzarote for a well earned break shortly for 2 weeks and have totally blown my budget over xmas!

Michelet
12-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Nice job! I havent checked the nm on my engines ;)
Just tightened it with a air wrench(?) dont really know what its called in English..
Anyway, have worked completely fine for me! :D

If you dont fill up the gear oil you can put the engine in the bike, put on a chain and set it in "gear". Then you turn the rear wheel and adjust the clutch so that the clutch works when you hold the lever in. Adjust it down at the engine before you do any adjustments at the lever!
Hope this helps you.

RS_Patrick
01-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Never Ever tighten up bolts and nuts on an Airwrench Ever... not accurate enough, your better of than tightening things up with a normal wrench.

Michelet
01-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Well, now Im not sure how much engine work you have done on the Minarelli AM6 engine, but the clutch nut and so forth is sitting so tight that you cant take it off with a normal wrench..

RS_Patrick
01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
You where talking about tightening it up mate, not undoing it, for wich i always used a specail wrench at work(both for undoing or tightening it up) to stop the clutch from turning like nicketynoo is doing in his pic with one he made him self.

As an certified Aprilia dealer you got the advantage of getting all the official tools from Aprilia (not for free but at a verry low price)

At home i just put it in 5th gear, have someone sit on the bike and step on the rear brake and i undo it with a wrench.

Only long bolts etc i use air wrenches on because otherwise you be turning for a few minutes, but like i said, i alwayst undo it first and/or finaly tighten it up with a normal wrench/key, that way the threads last way longer and your sure nothing can go wrong.
If a nut/bolt is jammed and you try to undo it with a air wrench you might snap it or turn the corners off it. (doesnt aply to a well oiled gearbox naturaly where there should not be any corosion etc.)

@nicketynoo: you made sure you got the counterbalance shaft right? and the play on the pushrod/clutch unit? it should have a tiny amount of free play there.

Michelet
01-02-2012, 01:22 PM
RS_Patrick, you work at an certified Aprilia dealer!? :D
I actually thought about buying some "official tools" but they are so expensive! :(

Yeah I understand what you mean, but i got a pressure "restrictior" on the compressor so it doesnt pull with full power.
Have worked 100% on 2 engines till now so.. :)

nicketynoo
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah RS think I got the counterbalance right. 1 dot on one gear and 2 dots on the other. ( can't remember which ones now.) the 1 dot sits between the 2 dots ,is that correct? also as I said I screwed the centre adjuster screw in until it came into contact with the push rod then backed it off half a turn .Is this right ,if not let me know I'll change it. I'm waiting till I get the water pump repair kit before re-fitting the casing.

Michelet
01-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah it should be between the 2 dots ;)
I think its easier to adjust the clutch while it is mounted on the bike.

1. Remove the right handside fairing.
2. Drain all gear oil. (Bolt under the engine on the right handside)
3. Remove the clutch cover.
4. Put the bike in 1 gear.
6. Adjust the clutch so it releases when the handle is in and dont when its not pushed in.
7. Put the gear cover back on.
8. Put the drain bolt back in.
9. Remove the screw on in the middle of the clutch cover.
10. Remove the filling screw and fill until it comes out of the hole in the middle of the clutch cover. Put the screws back in and go for a test ride! :)

Remember the coolant!

nicketynoo
01-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah it should be between the 2 dots ;)
I think its easier to adjust the clutch while it is mounted on the bike.

1. Remove the right handside fairing.
2. Drain all gear oil. (Bolt under the engine on the right handside)
3. Remove the clutch cover.
4. Put the bike in 1 gear.
6. Adjust the clutch so it releases when the handle is in and dont when its not pushed in.
7. Put the gear cover back on.
8. Put the drain bolt back in.
9. Remove the screw on in the middle of the clutch cover.
10. Remove the filling screw and fill until it comes out of the hole in the middle of the clutch cover. Put the screws back in and go for a test ride! :)

Remember the coolant!
yeah also remember to fit the wiring loom,the throttle,clutch ,choke, speedo cable ,handle bar grips,carb,airbox,footpegs,the brake hoses ,the mudguards, the nose cone, etc etc. Ha ha you get the message!

littlefeller
01-03-2012, 02:58 AM
i have always found the easyest way to tighten/loosen clutch and crank nuts is to simply trap a piece of soft leather between the gears, the project is looking great, i will start another in the spring.

nicketynoo
01-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Good to hear from you again littlefeller thought you'd deserted us! Be careful selling all those bits you might need them later.

nicketynoo
01-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Back from my jollies and picked this little lot up from Tesco's set me back a good 70 but got 700 points on me clubcard so I'm well happy!

Malossi small end bearing,khc piston kit ,water pump refurb kit,full gasket set and barrel studs. Measured the barrel and can't detect any wear in it so got a standard 40.3 mm piston and seems a good fit.Tested using the drop method! ready to build it up now but my boys away on a school trip for the week ,so I'm gonna wait for him to get back. Don't want him to miss the best bit.

Just got a couple of questions:-

The gasket set seems to have 2 top end kits, not 100% sure but think the one on the right in the photo is correct for my barrel and cylinder head. Theres no grooves in the centre faces of the head and barrel. Is that correct? Whats the Green seal used for?

Also the piston rings are different colours ,one is silvery and the other is black. Should they be fitted in any particular position? Top or bottom? I've had a good look and can't see any markings on them.:confused:

RS_Patrick
02-01-2012, 09:16 AM
In the picture you got the wrong cilinder, or the wrong cilinderhead, you got the old type head with a new type cilinder, theres no headgasket that will fit, as the cilinder that goes with the head should have the gasket inlayed into the cilinder, and the head for the iron cilinder has them inlayed into the head. You got the gaskets for both types, but sadly your cilinder and head dont match.

I would get a new cilinder since this one is really rusty and does not belong to the bike, should have an Aluminium Gilardoni Cilinder. There not to expensive after market (Gilardoni/Italkit) and pretty fast/powerfull.

Silver piston ring goes on top, but be carefull, they might not be symetrical and could whell have a sloped inward side wich should be on top helping the ring force it self against the barrel.

nicketynoo
02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
That would explain why the cylinder shows no wear even tho the bikes done 40,000 miles/km( whichever it is) . The cylinder was just thrown in the garden at the house I got the bike from,thats why it was rusty but its only very light rust and didn't think it would matter. Think it looks worse in the picture than it is. had a good look at the rings and can't see that they're sloped. Would I be able to tell by eyesight alone?
I'll have a look for a new cylinder, thanks for the advice.

RS_Patrick
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Use a gauge that you use to mesure thickness, if you put the ring in between it you should see in it slopes away.

nicketynoo
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I can't see any slope on either of the rings.I put my calipers on them and also pressed them flat against a glass table and can't detect any slope. I reckon they must be flat!

Josh_rs
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
this project looks great, keep up the hard work!

nicketynoo
02-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Right the missus had to work for a couple of hours this morning and my lad was staying as its half term so had to move quickly!
Got the engine on the kitchen table and started building!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0043.jpg

Better than doing it out in the cold garage.
New studs, small end ,and piston fitted. Struggled a bit fitting the new circlips as they were nice and tight. Everythings getting a good coating of 2 stroke oil as its fitted.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0044.jpg

Also had a few hairy moments slipping the barrel over the piston and rings but managed it without snapping the rings.
had to drop the old head on for now just to keep foreign objects out as I'm still waiting for a new TNT head from easyparts.nl . Not sure if I ordered the correct one with the grooves in as you can't tell from the photo but they assure me it will be checked before sending out. thats perhaps why it seems to be taking ages to arrive.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0045.jpg

Notice there's a bit of damage in the crankcase ( circled ) looks like the chains been off !! Think this will be ok as its not catching the flywheel. I realise the gasket won't seal but at least there's no oil in that side to leak out.

Right time to clear everything back into the garage now and she'll never know whats been going on! Ha Ha!

Also purchased another rear caliper bracket from Ebay as the original had no threads in the mounting holes. One had been drilled out to 10mm and the threads were really poor and the other had a nut and bolt fitted .Seemed a bit dangerous to me!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/rearcaliperbefore001.jpg

A quick brush over with the feather duster and hey presto!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/rearcaliperafter001.jpg

Up to a standard good enough to be fitted to my project now

Also got busy with the front caliper.Fitted some new Ferodo pads connected the hose up and bled it. Got a working front brake now! sorry no pics.:rolleyes:

Lionheartsuprem
02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Great project, work so far looks stunning. 'young' James and I are on a similar project, 2001 bike - dropped a couple of times, but we are trying to spend less and get it back on the road in a few weeks so a little less work if poss. As ever amazing how quick costs ad up! Lots of second hand bits but then needing aprilia only new parts - so a tiny cable guide is as much as a seat, footrest plate and inlet manifold when we are lucky! Still great fun and seems simple enough so far to get stuck in. Looking forward to watching your project progress.
Good luck Richard and James

nicketynoo
02-16-2012, 01:35 AM
yeah thanks for the words of encouragement, you're absolutely right about the cost. I've got to a point now where I'm ignoring it.I started adding it up at first but it would scare me now. I'm just resigned now to thinking part of my wages each month will be spent on the bike, but I was never in any doubt that it would cost more than the bike would be worth in the end. I'm really enjoying the build though and am learning loads. As well as teaching my boy a few things along the way!:banana:

RS_Patrick
02-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Use the Forumlink (bottem one) and Paste that here, than it post the images here instead of links.

The links dont work for me btw.

nicketynoo
02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks its the first time I've copied them from photobucket but it wouldn;t let me attach them straight from my laptop as the files were too big. That looks better now tho'!

RS_Patrick
02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Theres a link wich you click on, than it should say it was copied, and than you just copy that link here, it should be the bottom one thats the one for a Forum, works really easy, i always use it, no spam etc. also and they do not delete your stuff.

I see on the last pic of the engine you encircled some damadged caused by a chain comming off... really need to be carefull that the flywheel runs free there, and dont try to straighten it as it will break for sure than.

Michelet
02-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Nice, PM me if you need any more parts! :)
Have already mounted the exhaust hanger onto the bike! :D

nicketynoo
02-20-2012, 02:28 PM
The cylinder head has arrived from easyparts.nl and true to their word they'd opened it up and checked it was the correct one. Good service and a good price at 25 all in. Its also got the 2 stabbings that suit my phbn carb so I'm real chuffed.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0046.jpg

just had to swap the temp sensor and thermostat over and fit it!
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0048.jpg

also fitted the carb with the inlet manifold I got from michelet! just need a jubilee clip for that but its a good tight fit

New water pump kit fitted too!
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0049.jpg

Used some blue hylomar on the water pump gasket as the surface on the housing looked a bit rough

re=fitted the oil pump drive too and the engine casing with a new gasket and some more hylomar on that. want to make sure everythings sealed. Not happy with the casing bolts though , they look a bit grubby so I'll get some stainless cap heads in the future.
should the screws have spring washers on? cos I couldn't find any in my collection of bits and bobs.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0051.jpg

oil pump fitted too but definitely need new screws for the cover as none there ( 5mm thread I think )
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0052.jpg

Could do with an Aprilia sticker for the engine casing if anyones got one kicking about.

RS_Patrick
02-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Easyparts is really great, they now added the USA to there list of Countries for Shipping :)

Engine sits behind the fairings mate, dont worry about the sticker, they peel off usualy anyway.

P.S. you do have the right airbox rubber for thast carb? the <2002 ones dont fit, so you need the newer type.

nicketynoo
02-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I think the airbox rubber should be correct ,I bought the carb and airbox off the same person on ebay. Something in the back of my mind tells me I've already checked but I better have another look.The bike didn't have the original when I got it just a foam filter.

nicketynoo
02-25-2012, 01:48 AM
managed to source some new original levers for the gear change and brake pedal complete with rubbers from ebay. Much cheaper than from the dealers. Had already sprayed the hangers with the same paint as the engine casings so had to do the same with the levers so they'd match. Also gave them all a couple of coats of lacquer to make them a bit more hard wearing. really pleased with the result.
Dropped the rubbers in boiled water to make them easier to fit

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0053.jpg

also had to get a new clutch lever bracket cos the original has knackered threads for the cable adjuster.Gave the lever a blasting and a polish, but this is surplus to requirements as I've got some carbon effect ones.Think I'll hang on to it for now tho' just till I've made sure I like the new ones.
I've ended up with 2 right side footpegs which are correct for this bike but the left one looks like its from an earlier model,so need to source one . I still need a gear linkage too, I've got the clamp for the gear change shaft ,so basically need the rod with the connectors on

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0054.jpg

Spare wiring loom on its way too as the one with the bike looks decidedly dodgy!:eek:

Michelet
02-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Hey, looks good! :)

I think i got a spare left foot peg in the garage, PM me and we can either swap parts again :D
Or you can pay a small price for it ;)

nicketynoo
03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Had a busy week on the bike with some good and bad results. Acquired a rear mudguard complete with rear light and indicators which are in great condition. Its black with correct indicators for the fluo red 2005 model which I'm copying, my original was red with the mounting holes pretty well knackered and old style indicators which weren't up to much so really a no brainer buying this.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0063.jpg

Its like new!
Engine now inserted too with inlet manifold ,carb and airbox on ( rubber on airbox correct for the carb.) also radiator and engine cradle on.Was lucky with the cooling pipe from the rad to the pump. Previously bought job lot with rad and clutch also had correct pipe with it,saved me blanking off the pipes which would have gone to my inlet manifold for the sha carb.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0070.jpg

spare wiring loom bought off ebay turned out to be a godsend too.Was in good condition, just had to clean all terminals up and slap it in. Was surprised the old battery seemed fine too. Charged it up with my mates optimate and its held the charge ,so good news there. Fitted the chain minus a couple of links and lubed it up. Checked the clutch operation by putting it in gear and spinning the rear wheel whilst operating the lever, works a treat. Decided to fill up with oil, Putoline 10w40 fully synthetic for wet clutches added, thats where the problems started!
Shortly after I noticed oil dripping on my drive, found it was coming from where the neutral switch should be. Now unable to find the one I had so rammed a bolt in to stem the flow.
Also decided to connect all wires up and fit the battery, came to attach the earths to the crankcase bolt near the inlet manifold and no bolt fitted. I checked around and found no crankcase bolts were fitted at all, can't believe I hadn't noticed these missing while building the engine. I reckon the ones inside the cases must be fitted otherwise it would have seperated.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0071a.jpg

The yellow line shows the bolt instead of a neutral switch. ( new one now on order as can't find original). The red lines show where the crankcase bolts were missing from as well as half a dozen underneath the engine. the green line points to a hole that I dont know whether it should have a bolt in or not? Answers on a postcard please! ha.
The bolt missing from behind the clutch lever was a pig cos I had to remove the lever to fit it which meant removing the clutch cover and taking off the springs and end plate after draining the oil ! aaaaaaargh! still reckon i could dismantle it blindfolded now with just a pair of chopsticks . ( ninja rs mechanic! )

All electrics connected up and starter motor buzzes round nicely,horn ,rear indicators,both front and back brake switches ,neutral light and oil warning lamps work ,first time. RESULT. Nows a good time to come clean and admit I am an electrician.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0072.jpg

Nice patch of oil on my drive . Good jetwashing recquired.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0068.jpg

check the routing of clutch cable is this correct?

Whilst checking electrics found no spark at the plug. Have checked coils and between red and white wires there's a short and green and white are open circuit, seems a flywheel puller and perhaps new coils needed! Double aaaaaargh!!!!! Deep breaths

More parts on order from easyparts.nl. I'm impressed with them, will update when they've arrived!

Josh_rs
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
been itching to see more progress on this one, turning out to be a real nice bike! keep it coming ;)

nicketynoo
03-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Had a technical decal set delivered today, wasn't exactly sure what was in it but I wanted the swinging arm sticker for chain adjustments. Luckily this was in it along with the frame stickers for the petrol tap positions ( will come in handy for my boy who had no Idea what a reserve tank was). Also a few tank stickers and battery maintenance etc. Quite expensive but nice finishing touches.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0073.jpg

Also got a throttle cable new grips and bar end weights along with a new neutral switch,fuel pipe with an aftermarket filter. grips and weights are original aprilia and weren't too expensive, the throttle cable was a pattern part which we struggled a bit to fit. eventually got there tho. Rear brake cylinder fitted and connected up to the caliper. Not bled this yet tho still waiting for a rubber where the reservoir pipe fits into the cylinderwhich was perished, one on order tho. Rear brake pads were fitted last week, got ferodo's same as front.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0074.jpg

this has got the original tank cover on which has split where it pivots but I'll use it for a while until the spare gets sprayed. I fitted a new O ring to the petrol tap, I found a load of sealant gummed around it so presume it was leaking.removed the sealant and all looked ok so hope no leaks now. The picture of the tank doesn't do it justice, it looks quite good in the photo but its seriously crap!

waiting for a flywheel puller to remove the same, and check the cables to the coils, thought I'd have a go at removing the nut first by getting my lad to sit on the bike holding the brake with it in gear. Only noticed then that no nut was fitted! bloody hell good job I checked. Reckon I've found the nut ,its quite long, but does anyone know if a washer should be fitted?

Josh_rs
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
where can i pick up one of those thinner rads second hand? all the ones on ebay seem to be the fatter type

Also, there isnt a washer on the nut for the flywheel

nicketynoo
03-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Was really lucky with the rad ,I picked it up in a job lot with a full clutch and top yoke. I've used all 3 . look on ebay a guy called john has just put a 2000 rs on as breaking for spares. Search for rs50 and go for newly listed. worth giving him a ring. I've just bagged a left footpeg and gear linkage. his prices are pretty reasonable too! Don't buy from breakers they're overpriced. Thanks for the advice on the nut.

nicketynoo
03-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Good news today. Flywheel puller arrived from Ebay so removed it and the coils. found the green wire broken. tried stripping it back but kept breaking all the way down so got a new length and soldered it in . Covered them in fresh shrink sleeving and re-fitted. tested it and now got a good blue spark where it should be. Also got a very small oil leak but reckon its coming from the drain plug, so at least its not a complete strip down to fix. Reckon all I need to get it running now is some fuel and an exhaust!

Aaron58supersic
03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
WOW that is turning out beutiful!

RS_Patrick
03-20-2012, 06:20 AM
where can i pick up one of those thinner rads second hand? all the ones on ebay seem to be the fatter type

Fatter type cools way better than the thin one, the 1999/2000 bikes had the fat ones but they soon changed that as the bikes simply wouldnt get out of the blue wen they where fully stock derestricted, for a tuned bike your way better off getting a fat one if you can.

Josh_rs
03-20-2012, 07:07 AM
my bike is stock derestricted, should i still go with the fatter type or not?

RS_Patrick
03-20-2012, 03:13 PM
If i recall right nicketynoo traded his fat radiator against a thin one.

Its your choice if you want the fat one or the thin one, completly stock derestricted than the thin rad would be more than enough, if you change more than its really nice to have the thicker rad especialy in summer.

nicketynoo
03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
So the oil leak turned out to be from the crankcases,right at the bottom very close to the drain plug. I ended up plastering the drain plug with PTFE tape just to make sure it was sealed and still had a bit weeping from the cases. Had to split the cases but didn't really fancy it,I had visions of springs and gears flying in all directions, but actually didn't turn out to be too bad. However when it came to building it back up I seemed to be a washer short. Thought the 1 underneath the gear selector was missing.Couldn't find it anywhere and was doubting that it was in there in the first place. Needed some more parts so ordered these along with a new washer.
whilst waiting for it I added a few little bits and bobs to the bike.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0081.jpg

Red correct screw for the brake lever instead of a standard bolt. Both carbon look levers fitted now ,reckon they look good!:cool:

Brown Cover for the clutch cable adjuster.Just tidy's it up a bit also took these bezels off and sprayed them black.

Yellow new switch now fitted, had a bit of a dilemma with these.I had 2 switches one looked like new but had the little tit missing which locates in the handle bar hole but the other was a bit grubby and old looking. Ended up drilling the switch with a 4.6mm drill and glueing a metal pin in. Turned out a nice little job!:lover:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0082.jpg

Fitted a new rubber seal on the low pressure side to the cylinder cos the old 1 was well perished. This meant that I could get on and bleed it. This done but when trying the brake next day it pissed fluid out. I hadn't tightened the banjo bolt up tight enough! DOH! Its bloody tight now tho' and bled again.

Managed to pick up a gear linkage and a left footpeg from Ebay. 15 for both so not bad.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0083.jpg

Had to give them a rub with the old feather duster to make them worthy!

Washer arrived so time to get on with the re-build.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0079.jpg

replaced the outputshaft and the gear selector seals.
Everytime I bolted the cases up tight the gear selector shaft went tight and I couldn't select any gears. Had the cases apart and back together trying washers in different places. Eventually realised I'd fitted a washer underneath the desmodronic shaft which should't have been there. Can't believe it makes such a difference and its only 0.6mm thick. Still its all back together now, sealed up with blue hylomar. Now filled with oil and no leaks:cigar:
Top Banana ,reckon I just need an exhaust, bigger jets ,hose clips ,coolant,fuel and I can get this baby running. Oh and looks like I'll need a new battery too. had it on charge all last night but its not even got enough power to sound the horn. I've spent enough this month now tho so will have to wait till next payday!
I'm open to suggestions for exhausts and could do with some advice as where to start with main jet sizes. Have seen this one and quite lke the look of it but not heard of anyone reccomending it ,so let me know what you think.

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/0170H10064C/0-4019-121-3760-3794-3796/303/Exhaust_Turbokit_R_Road_2t_Aprilia_Rs_50_Chrome.ht ml

like I say I like the look of it but if no one knows how good they are I'll probably plump for a Gianelli. Do you get a full fixing kit with the Gianelli?

RS_Patrick
03-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Giannelli is just the exhaust, no silencer and no mounting rubbers, i replaced the original rubbers for small dampning rubbers for an engine (autoparts) there a bit bigger and stronger so dont rip as easly as the original ones.

nicketynoo
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Tried mounting some panels today just to see what mountings I will need to complete. Thought I may as well fix the rear seat and y panels in place as they shouldn;t need to come off again.Have got a spare set of these which will need to be sprayed before fitting ,but i plan to run it a while with these crappy panels on. probably best while I'm teaching my boy how to ride it.

Here it is back to its former glory!!!!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0084.jpg

just noticed some brake fluid around the rubber gator on the rear cylinder.Anyone know of a cheap seal kit as genuine aprilia spares are around 40 euros? What other bike uses the same one?

Glen1990
04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Looks really nice :D

nicketynoo
04-10-2012, 01:01 PM
yeah its a shame to cover all the good bits with the bad panels. And believe me the panels are really bad. Do you like the front indicators? Ha Ha I'll be pleased when they go in the bin!

Josh_rs
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
isnt the 74 jet for a restricted rs50?

Glen1990
04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
ohh yeah i didnt notice the front indicators they dont look that pretty do they lol

nicketynoo
04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
yeah 74 jet is standard restricted. Will get a mixture of jets to try with the new pipe. Think I'm nearly convinced on the gianelli now. Was recomended to go up 10 sizes and work my way down.

Josh_rs
04-10-2012, 04:32 PM
sounds good, need to get myself one of them gianelli pipes :rolleyes: used to have one on my piaggio nrg, sounded really nice, a little tinny

nicketynoo
04-15-2012, 01:32 PM
just waiting till payday so I can afford the new pipe and other spares to get it up and running. Thought I'd have a try at spraying some panels. Wasn't really confident of doing this myself but thought I'd get some tins and have a go anyway.Started with the y panels I acquired from ebay last week. There was just one tiny scuff on the side of the right hand side one which i rubbed out with some fine wet and dry. Applied plastic primer ,let it harden for 24 hours and gave them a good rub down with 1500 grade wet & dry. They were like glass before I sprayed them. About 4 coats of matt black and I'm really pleased with the results.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/DSC04055.jpg

they're smooth as a babies bum. Just not sure what to protect them with. Anyone know if you can get matt lacquer?
Also done the V panel in gloss black, this was red before, its also had a coat of clear lacquer.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/DSC04052.jpg

The rear hugger in gloss ,this hasn't had lacquer applied yet but looks better than the V panel, so it'll shine up beatifully with it on.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/DSC04054.jpg

Looks like I'm getting the hang of this spraying lark so I decided to do the front mudguard. Only managed the plastic primer up to now but should come up good!:p:
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/DSC04053.jpg

feeling really confident now, so much so I'm even contemplating attempting the tank and side panels. Should save me a fortune. I'll have a go at the tank then decide!

chrism15
04-15-2012, 03:39 PM
just waiting till payday so I can afford the new pipe and other spares to get it up and running. Thought I'd have a try at spraying some panels. Wasn't really confident of doing this myself but thought I'd get some tins and have a go anyway.Started with the y panels I acquired from ebay last week. There was just one tiny scuff on the side of the right hand side one which i rubbed out with some fine wet and dry. Applied plastic primer ,let it harden for 24 hours and gave them a good rub down with 1500 grade wet & dry. They were like glass before I sprayed them. About 4 coats of matt black and I'm really pleased with the results.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/DSC04055.jpg

they're smooth as a babies bum. Just not sure what to protect them with. Anyone know if you can get matt lacquer?
Also done the V panel in gloss black, this was red before, its also had a coat of clear lacquer.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/DSC04052.jpg

The rear hugger in gloss ,this hasn't had lacquer applied yet but looks better than the V panel, so it'll shine up beatifully with it on.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/DSC04054.jpg

Looks like I'm getting the hang of this spraying lark so I decided to do the front mudguard. Only managed the plastic primer up to now but should come up good!:p:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/DSC04053.jpg

feeling really confident now, so much so I'm even contemplating attempting the tank and side panels. Should save me a fortune. I'll have a go at the tank then decide!

looks really good pal, if i was you id spray them yourself ;)
just rememmber to make sure the paint is absolutly bone dry before applying the laqiuer as it can strip the paint if its not completly dry

keep at it :)

nicketynoo
04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
yeah thanks for the advice mate, I am leaving them usually 24 hours in a warm workshop between coats. I'm hoping i can get the correct coluor from a local paintshop in aerosols.

chrism15
04-15-2012, 05:12 PM
yeah thanks for the advice mate, I am leaving them usually 24 hours in a warm workshop between coats. I'm hoping i can get the correct coluor from a local paintshop in aerosols.

yerr thats another thing to keep them away from cold and moisture and that should be plenty of time ;) just apply THIN coats as alot of people get impateient and go closer to get it done but its better to do it directionally and watch it "speccle on " if u get what i mean and just build it up

keep the pics coming pal coz looks good :) have you decided which exhuast your gerrin?

RS_Patrick
04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
If you got the primer on than wait 24 hours or so, than you can aply thin coats of paint safe as soon as the other layer drayed a bit you can put on the second coat, than leave it for a while to dry, make sure its spotless and clean and aply clear coat.

One thing i did lear the hard way is to use the same brand/type of pain, i once used Motip primer and some other brand for paint and they reacted to each other forming nice cracks after the paint dried :(

nicketynoo
04-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Tried building up thin layers but found you never seem to get a good shiny finish. On the last coat I found I could get that bit closer and lay it on pretty thick, you could see when you had enough paint on ,but I realise its a fine line between just enough and too much. luckily I can spray in a heated workshop and it seems to help the paint grab and not run. Good point about different brands of paint Patrick ,I think I'll need to go to a specialist for the tank colour so better get some primer from them too rather than use what I've already got .
http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/010643651HF/0-4019-121-88-1790/303/Muffler_Giannelli_Carbon_For_33632hf.html
http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/010633632HF/0-4019-121-88-1790/303/Exhaust_Giannelli_Street_Rs_1999-06_Tuono_50_2003-06_%28without_muffler%29.html

Pretty sure I'm going for this exhaust but I'll look again at the end of the month.

Glen1990
04-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Thats the same set up i was looking at

chrism15
04-16-2012, 06:47 AM
good choiice on the exhaust nicketynoo :) ^^

RS_Patrick
04-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Note there Giannelli pipes and silencers are on Discount currently, so if you want it better buy it fast mate before the offer ends!

http://www.easyparts.nl/showarticles_info/010633908/0-4019-121-88-1790/382/Demper_Giannelli_street_2t_Kevlar_Voor_33907.html
Fits perfectly

Note that all the pipes and the silencers that are the model like i posted are pics of 125cc versions, Giannelli plate sits on the other side of them on the 50cc version.

nicketynoo
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
you're right they're on offer at the minute and I thought the offer would probably run for some time but you made me jumpy by suggesting it might end so I've only gone and bought it.:lover: Also had to buy a choke cable some coolant which was on offer. Got the silent blocks too to mount the exhaust, couldn't find any in my local car parts shop. They just didn't know what I meant. Ordered six main jets too from 10 sizes up down to 76. Still need a battery but think I'll get that locally. Patrick I liked the shape of the kevlar pipe but not the colour ,thought the black carbon end can would go with the bike better, so its on its way. Just a question about the exhaust o ring. In this picture is it the green one or do I need to get one?
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0041-1.jpg

Oh and ordered some springs too as I think I've only got one in my box of bits, better to have 2 the same size me thinks.

RS_Patrick
04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
I see 2 exhaust gaskets there so you should be ok, there the grean rings and they fit into a groove into the mouth of the cilinder.

One tip, use copper grease or an other heat resistand grease on the rubber and lube the manifold of the exhaust lighlty with it also, makes it much easier to slide it in.

I dont know what colour the bike is gonna be but with Black the Kevlar looks really nice, if your gonna make the bike Red than the Carbon one looks nice.

nicketynoo
04-20-2012, 02:23 AM
thanks for that, good advice. The bike is gonna be fluo red 2005 colours so the black will go nicely.

chrism15
05-05-2012, 01:52 PM
any news on this?

nicketynoo
05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
any news on this?
yeah little bits but not much happening. Had to cut about an inch from the outer on the choke cable to get it to fit. don't understand why I had to do this as the cable ,switchgear,and carb are all standard from a 2005 bike ,but now its spot on.
changed the main jet up to a 84 from 74 ready for the new exhaust.
fitted all the jubilee clips for the coolant hoses and coolant added.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0102.jpg

rear hugger and front mudguard sprayed and fitted

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0103.jpg

Anti vibration mounts for the exhaust fitted
Had to remove the front fairing bracket as one of the threads for the mirror was stripped.Ground the old nut off and mig welded a new one on, quick flash of black spray and back looking like new.

Here's what coolant and 2 stroke oil I've used

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0104.jpg

They were both on offer from easyparts but can't seem to find the oil on the site anymore ! Was going to get some more but will probably get some castrol synthetic. I'm guessing it should be ok to mix them both as they're fully synthetic.

Had a good leak from the drain screw on the pump cover.I'd fitted a copper washer on there but couldn't get it to seal,don't know whats on there originally but put a fibre washer on now and thats cured it.:)
Need a fresh battery and not sure whether to order one off ebay or use my local bike shop. Probably cheaper off the bay but can just get one off the shelf locally.
Then just waiting for the exhaust to arrive so I can strike it up!!
Ordered from easyparts on the 18th of April and still not been dispatched, must be Gianelli holding it up cos I ordered the choke cable at same time which wasn't in stock and had to come from aprillia, and thats been here a while now.
Noticed the same exhaust now on ebay with 2 day delivery .Pleased to say dearer than mine was!
Also won new right hand switchgear with lights on/off switch on for 12 from ebay,waiting for that to arrive.
Come on Gianelli get your fingers out!!!:bangwall:
Reckon next monday is strike up day, gonna try and video first try!:D

chrism15
05-08-2012, 12:38 PM
should run like a dream, looking forward to a video of it starting up and maybe a little ride

nice work nicketynoo, reckon you will find another project once your son starts using this? :)

nicketynoo
05-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Finally after a 5 week wait my Gianelli exhaust has arrived, was starting to get seriously wound up, but reckon it was worth the wait. A fresh battery came with the parcel too. At 17 for a maintenance free one its a bargain.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0107.jpg

here's everything that came with the pipe and silencer. It had springs with it so didn't need to get originals.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0105.jpg

here's the restrictor in the end of the pipe, obviously I'll be leaving it in so my sons riding legally
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0106.jpg

And here's a picture I found on the internet with the restrictor removed :p:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0108.jpg

Apparently there real easy to remove , grind the weld away with a dremel and the washer just drops out!
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0109.jpg

lathered it in polish to keep it from rusting, so ready for the big day. gonna try starting it for the first time on sunday when my boy comes round again.

just a couple of questions about the end can .
Have I got it facing the right way? I'd have thought it should have pointed downwards but wouldn't go that way, none of the 3 options pointed down??
have got it pointing towards the bike, the only other ways were away from the bike or upwards which didn't seem right to me.
Also is the Gianelli badge meant to be pop riveted onto the end can?

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0110.jpg

chrism15
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM
leaving the restrictor in :( spoil sport haha :p:

im sure the can is ment to be cut downwards too.... are you SURE it wont point that way when removing the end can and turning it around and re-fit ect??

once it running can you get a video ;) ;)

nice work nicketynoo i rememeber when you first started this ! :)

nicketynoo
05-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Nah it won't point down,only outwards or upwards. reckon they've been 5 weeks making it and still fooked it up!:spankie:

chrism15
05-25-2012, 03:45 PM
:gunner: complain, get a replacement and some money back:lol: so are the studs way off for it to go straight? maybe a lil persuation cud cud it out ;)

RS_Patrick
05-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Can needs to be turned 1 hole counter clockwise looking at it from the back of the bike, than its in the right position.

giannelli badge can be riveted to the can or you can leave it of, what ever you like best.

Glen1990
05-26-2012, 02:35 AM
ahh ive seen waiting to see this for a while was that waiting time from easy parts? to the uk? :S my arrow street legal looks 100% the same as that the end can is pretty tho =]

Michelet
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Looks nice! :)

Thanks to your photo of the Gianelli I found out that it was a Gianelli exhaust system + Original I got for 25!! :D

nicketynoo
05-27-2012, 04:28 AM
ahh ive seen waiting to see this for a while was that waiting time from easy parts? to the uk? :S my arrow street legal looks 100% the same as that the end can is pretty tho =]

Glen thats not normal waiting time from Easyparts, theyre usually much quicker than that. I ordered some genuine aprilia spares that needed to be ordered in at the same time and they arrived weeks ago. I reckon it was Gianelli where the delay was. To be fair Easyparts offered me a refund after 3 weeks but I chose to wait for it.

JCams
05-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Dude, you are KILLING IT on this build.
Great job, I'm looking forward to seeing the final result in some pics and video!

Again, great job.

nicketynoo
05-28-2012, 08:21 AM
finally got the bike running, struggled a bit getting it started but reckon the plug gap was a bit small. I could only find a set of imperial feeler gauges and set them to 20 thou which i thought was about right.Anyway I opened the gap up a bit with a small screwdriver, I reckon my experienced eye must be better than any feeler gauges. :D
Got it running and sounds sweet, only problems were the rev counter not working and no lights. Have ordered a new tacho cable and found the problem with the lights . Had the blue and green wires swapped over on the regulator. Being an electrician didn't help cos I automatically put the green wire to the earth connection. WRONG!!! :bangwall:
Also wired in the sexy front indicators and they were flashing too fast. Found the bulbs were 22w instead of 10w so changed them and all is good now.
Ready for an MOT now but think I'll wait to get the rev counter working first then I can bang all the panels back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlDJOGVrnuo&feature=youtu.be

Also notice I've turned the end can round one position and looks better.

RS_Patrick
05-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I found i got 2 old Giannelli pipes :p:, they look a lot difrent than this one, i was thinking only had one, but i found an other slighly corroded, but nothing bad.

nicketynoo
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Big day tomorrow ,decided to book in for an MOT test at midday. New tacho cable arrived today and took a fair bit of connecting at the drive end. Had to take a bit of the plastic out inside where it connects and now the cable spins with the drive. Reckon I could have got the old cable working but it was a bit scabby anyway. will connect the other end at the clocks tomorrow morning ,then re-fit the side panels and I'm all set to go.
Will ring and arrange insurance in the morning too.
All being well I could be road worthy by 2pm after I've got some road tax!:burnout:

RS_Patrick
05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
NOOO, way to soon mate, its not been 2 years yet, not even one year :p: what happened to the 2 year project?

Josh_rs
05-31-2012, 04:36 PM
sounds great with the giannelli can :) please put a video up soon of the bike being ridden :peace:

nicketynoo
05-31-2012, 05:44 PM
NOOO, way to soon mate, its not been 2 years yet, not even one year :p: what happened to the 2 year project?
Just because its roadworthy doesn't mean this project is finished! Still all the panels to spray and decals to fit.
got home from work at 10 pm and just had to fully fit the tacho cable. Pleased to say thats working now
Then decided I ought to fit the numberplate.
then decided I ought to fit the fairings!
So its all built and everythings working as it should, no doubt something will pack in on the way to the test station.
At least I can have a lie in tomorrow now!!

nicketynoo
06-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahah!:lol: It failed!:mad: but thats how it made me feel just riding to the testing station and back. Its a pig trying to keep the revs down while running it in cos theres no power there but it kicks in around 8k . Really wanted to thrash it to death but resisted the temptation. Great fun tho' really wanted to be able to go for a decent ride but never mind!
did notice the temp gauge getting right up to the warning at first but after a while it settled back nicely to the middle.
Failed on rear shocker knackered, no fluid and so no damping in it.
Also headlight beam was all to cock ,he reckoned it was upside down. I've checked the headlamp and think the bulb holder was upside down so turned it round and the beam looks better now!
Checked on easyparts and a TNT shocker is 74 euros which is a decent price but quoting 4 to 7 days plus shipping. Only got 10 days for a free retest so don't reckon it would be here in time. Gonna nip to my local car parts dealer see if he can do anything for me!

Josh_rs
06-01-2012, 10:08 AM
shame that! i have a spare rear shocker lying around nicketynoo but i have no idea if its any good, you can have it for ten pounds including postage if you like? but with the bank holiday and jubilee it could take a while to arrive

nicketynoo
06-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the offer Josh but not gonna risk getting a used one. I'll have a trawl round on the internet and see what my best options are.

Glen1990
06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
yeah i just got a used rs shock off ebay pretty sure its busted too :( two busted shocks.. how much you been set back up to now? im at 700 plus 500 for buying the bike still another 200ish to get it mot'able but its my first project had fun with my first engine rebuild ive learnt soo much as much as its cost me im glad i went the way i did

RS_Patrick
06-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Easypartts is really fast with shipping, so my guess is it will make it in time if they goit it in stock.

And btw, if you read what i say about running it in... you can go flat out for a minute if its warm if you got it set up richer than normal.

nicketynoo
06-01-2012, 02:36 PM
yeah Patrick I've been reading everything you've been posting along with others, when you're not going flat out whats the max revs you advise? it really seems to want to take off around 8k so should I keep it below this ? and how long in km's before its run in?

Glen I've stopped counting what I've spent and realise the bike won't be worth anywhere near as much as I've put into it but like you say, I've learnt so much and have really enjoyed building it. Was quite proud today when the MOT tester congratulated me on its condition. He could obviously see past the bad fairings and panels. He actually said he thought everything was brand new, alot of it is but also alot of its been made to look new.
Love the fact I know the condition of everything on the bike.

RS_Patrick
06-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Keep it bellow 8k in your case than, drive normal for 15 minutes, than 1 minute flat out, than calm again for 5 or so to let things cool a bit and than flat out again.

note that you need to have a slightly bigger mainjet installed than perfect, to provide extra cooling lubrication and cooling for the piston, aditionaly you can add a little bit of extra oil through the tank (1:100), combined with the bigger mainjet that should provide plenty of extra lubrication and cooling for the piston and crank etc.

Glen1990
06-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Yeah it does look amazing :D im guessing you did it for your son? i wish when i was that age my dad did something like that its gonna be one of them momments he can look back and your self. isnt it an amazing feeling after the engine starts? :D

nicketynoo
06-02-2012, 04:31 AM
yeah Glen I've done it for my son,but got loads of enjoyment out of it for myself. I remember stripping and rebuilding my yam rd50 in the eighties but didn't go anywhere near what I've done with this. I never had the money then . Its been nice this time having the cash to make sure everythings good.
Patrick I've mixed 100:1 in the fuel and put an 84 main jet in where the standard was 74. should I be checking the plug next time I ride it back from the test station?
Is it ok just to check the plug after having a short ride ( about 3 miles) or do you need to have a longer run and do a plug chop?
I did notice oil running out of the rear silencer when I came back yesterday so I reckon its getting plenty!

Glen1990
06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
plug chop is a nightmare with the fairings... i thought... then i forgot the tank lifts up very easy lol.

chrism15
06-02-2012, 02:35 PM
when doing a plug chop leave the side panels off, then just whip the spark plug out and have a loom - easy access ;)

Glen1990
06-03-2012, 03:52 AM
why when the tank is only one allen key bolt to lift? :S i found it easyer to get the plug out too

RS_Patrick
06-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Easier to take the seat of and undo the allen bolt to get to the sparkplug, dont forget if you lift it to far you might have to route the breather tube again trough the metal loop between the rear fork at the back of the engine.

nicketynoo
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Ahh so thats where it runs!:)

RS_Patrick
06-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah, like the breather tubes from the engine, carb and battery, they all end up down there, exept for the one for the cooling fluid cap, that just runs directly down along the fairing.

nicketynoo
06-05-2012, 04:00 AM
ahh right well theres no breather on the battery as its sealed, the one for the engine is missing,( theres just the hole in the casing.) and no tube fitted to the carb yet. All jobs I've still got to sort out, so it could end up taking 2 years after all!

nicketynoo
06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Whey hey!! Mot passed today, nearly road legal now,just need some road tax.
against my better judgement I decided to risk getting a second hand shocker off ebay. Ad said it was off a 2006 old model bike and looked really tidy. Got it for 35 + postage so quite a good saving!
Arrived earlier but noticed no bush in the top mount but used the one from the original. Was quite tricky fitting though. When I fitted the original one there wasn't many parts on the bike and was definitely harder fully kitted out.
Me holding the back end up while shouting at my lad to get the bolts in !!! Reckon my back'll be right sore tomorrow.:o
Had a good drive to the test centre and gave it some beans, got up to 45mph quite easily,not bad carrying 13 stone. Reckon it'll get to 50 with me on with standard gearing.
I'm gonna declare it run in now as I kept it in the powerband most of the way home, didn't want to hang about cos it was absolutely pissing it down, I got soaked to the skin but still really enjoyed it!
So much for not taking it out in bad weather but it had to be done.:cigar:
Roll on summer!

RS_Patrick
06-07-2012, 01:55 PM
2006 is the derbi model, the bike in your avatar is a 2005 model wich is the last reall Aprilia RS50 so the shock should be form a 2005, not a 2006.

Summer sucked last year, and this year its even worse so far, sucks even more for me now i work in a marina... but luckly it was dry most of the day as all i really had to do was some outboard engines testing and adjusting.

Glen1990
06-07-2012, 02:52 PM
im pretty sure in the early stage of 2006 they made it still i was reading about it and my manual says 1999 to 2006? i think there wernt many made but i have seen some 2006 models that were the old shape too but i know they stopped them in 2006

RS_Patrick
06-07-2012, 07:36 PM
It says 1999 to 2006, thats probably ment like 1999 till 2006, if a 2005 bike is sold and registered in 2006, it doesnt make it a 2006 model, its still a 2005 as thats what the parts list etc goes by.
I never seen an old model that was made in 2006 here, but since they build them country by country its posible they still produced some in january/february 2006 for other countries like the UK, still normaly they introduce next years model to the market in september, but i dont recall wen they introduced the Derbi model anymore, but it was late, as the original plan was to release a 1999 shape bike again in 2006 with a new race replica paintscheme like they done each year exept for 2005, they even showed the old shape 2006 on a big motor show in De Angelis 2005 colours, of wich they did do a SR50 scooter... but no RS50 because they sudenly came up with the 2006 model we now know... :(

Glen1990
06-08-2012, 01:36 AM
yeah that would make sense that it was registered in 2006 i bloody hate the newer rs i wish aprilia were still designing them gotta say tho im in love with my rs 50 at almost 22 i never thought ill go back to a 50cc motorbike but im not needing to jump on a big bike yet and im really enjoying learning and tuning this rs its more fun than just getting a bigger bike grrr i hate mopeds sooo much i rode my girlfriends the other night and i kept pulling in the rear brake to try change gear lol.

what happens to aprilia anyways? why they sell up?

RS_Patrick
06-08-2012, 06:47 AM
They didnt sell enough motorcycles to keep going on there own, almost all the other motorcycle brands are owned by an other company, or do more than just make motorcycles, all Aprilia did was just make Motorcycles and the only ones that really sold was the RS50, SR50 scooter and the RSV Mille.

nicketynoo
06-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Patrick I think in England people will generally refer to a bike by its registration ie by saying its a 2006 bike it will have been registered in 2006. whereas if they stated its a 2005 model then it still could be registered in 2006,just a language thing, so by advertising it as coming off a 2006 bike thats ok cos technically its right. If you see what I mean;)

RS_Patrick
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I know that, but the problem is even though its registered as a 2006, its still a 2005 acording to Aprilia, so if your gonna order parts for it you need to order 2005 model parts, otherwise you might get a nasty suprise wen your parts arive and you try to fit them :p:

nicketynoo
06-09-2012, 03:12 AM
yeah thats right but when I was looking at the shocker I was more interested in how long it had been used for. It did say from an old shape bike so I knew it was correct.

nicketynoo
06-10-2012, 05:02 PM
have just ridden home from work but obviously took the long way home,probably about 5 miles and gave the bike a good thrashing. Got up to around 55 mph but not fully revving out in top with standard gearing. Quite happy with that.
I whipped the plug out as soon as I got out. What do you think> is it jetted ok?
Sorry the picture is out of focus my camera won't focus this close but you can see the colour of the electrode.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0116.jpg

chrism15
06-11-2012, 05:13 AM
looks alright to me, maybe slighly to bright - need to bit a tiny bit darker id say but maybe its just the picture quality on my comp

have you got a clearer pic of just the electrode

Glen1990
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
you cant really tell off the photo :(

chrism15
06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
it should be a coffee brown colour a bit orangy but it shouldnt be a "lighter" orange more darker to be safe

RS_Patrick
06-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Cant really tell, try a little further away, and in Daylight/Sunlight with out Flash, looks a little light.

russell jupp
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey Nicketynoo,
I'm just coming to the end of a similar project, a Derbi GPR50rr for my 16 year old lad....Really enjoyed reading this tread, and many of your little 'problems' and 'issues' sounded very familiar.
You've done a superb job...
I have a carburetor problem, and will start a new thread shortly....
Cheers for now,
Russ

nicketynoo
06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for that Russell seem to have come to a bit of a standstill at the moment mainly due to holidays coming up and need to save some cash for that. But have started riding the bike a bit and I'm quite surprised how well it runs. Took my lad to a local disused aerodrome on Sunday and got him riding it. He managed to set off and change up into 2nd gear which is a start. Not got the hang of turning it around yet but getting there.
Managed to get 50 mph out of it 2's up tho!:burnout:

chrism15
06-22-2012, 08:59 AM
bet you want to start another project now!! :burnout:

russell jupp
06-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for that Russell seem to have come to a bit of a standstill at the moment mainly due to holidays coming up and need to save some cash for that. But have started riding the bike a bit and I'm quite surprised how well it runs. Took my lad to a local disused aerodrome on Sunday and got him riding it. He managed to set off and change up into 2nd gear which is a start. Not got the hang of turning it around yet but getting there.
Managed to get 50 mph out of it 2's up tho!:burnout:

Thats a spooky coincidence, cos tomorrow (weather permitting) we will go to our local disused aerodrome for some practice...he's doing his cbt in a couple of weeks on a hired twist 'n' go, so he needs to have some experience of the GPR before he takes it on the road.
Ive been doing some road tests on this little bike, and i'd forgotten just how much fun 2 strokes can be!! It is incredibly quick for a 50cc (i thought my '76 FS1E was quick) as it easily managed an indicated 105 kmh, but rev counter was just in the red... Anyway dont want to hijack your thread, will start my own this weekend.!!
cheers for now,
Russ

nicketynoo
06-25-2012, 03:45 PM
bet you want to start another project now!! :burnout:

This project is far from finished Chris, have all the spare panels to spray and decals to buy and fit. But yeah your right been looking, would really like an old yam lc ,or an rs 250,125 but I've enjoyed this 50 so much,you never know might even get another 1 and get it tuned for a bit more power.

Michelet
06-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Haha, RS50 with big bore kit is so much fun! :)

Actually quite funny that you are building this bike for your son, but it seems like you want to keep it yourself! :D

chrism15
06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
i think you would enjoy the Rs250 ALOT

there again buying another Rs for tuning would be good too coz you would of built one up to near stock and one fully tuned to see the differences ect

just imagine a engine like this getting your kitchen table nice n greasy ;) NOTE this is not my pic it is mmk250"s pic from his re-build, he did a very nice job too...

Josh_rs
06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
that is one serious piece of kit! haha :cigar:

chrism15
06-26-2012, 02:06 AM
its one of mmk250"s pics off his re-build thread(rs250 section) imagine the power of this thing :burnout:

Josh_rs
06-28-2012, 05:10 PM
enough power to make shit come out of my eyes

nicketynoo
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Now that would look great on my kitchen table!:bump: just gone up another jet to 86 today and seems to be running better. got almost 55 mph two's up and seems smoother.Could maybe do to go up some more but thats the biggest I had. Just gotta say again this bike is so much fun! I am sooooo impressed.

chrism15
06-29-2012, 05:30 PM
i think its time for you to get a Rs250 and then kick your sons arse in a race :p:

btw nicketynoo have you seen "mathias"s project? Rs250 with a Sxv engine in it and LOADS of machined parts.... seriously its deinatly worth a read!!!!!! looks awsome as he has made the whole bike custom, its call R-SXV PROJECT i think and its in the RS250 section ;)

RS_Patrick
06-30-2012, 04:50 AM
I think i prefer a Stage 3 tuned RS250 engine... you can/could buy Stage 3 upgrade kits from Aprilia them selfs.

But anyway this thread is going way of topic now, you beter post some pics Nicketynoo :p:

nicketynoo
07-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Well finally got round to some more work rather than just riding. Had some paint mixed up for the tank and side fairings,not cheap. 62 for four 100ml cans and a couple of tins of lacquer. 12 a can of paint ,not cheap but these are quality tins. Really easy to spray and get a good finish, just hope the lacquer is as good.
One side panel was scuffed along the middle so had to rub it all down to bare plastic and build it back up,first with plastic primer then with filler primer.

A VIRGIN PANEL
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1231.jpg

The right hand side was nearly perfect with no scuffs at all ,but the main thing with both was that all the mounting holes in both panels were spot on!
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1232.jpg

Also the tank was near perfect and it was a shame to strip it down but at least it was easy.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1234.jpg

Just removed the old decals and gave it a good rub down ,but not to bare plastic,then a dose of primer.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1235.jpg
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1236.jpg

finished the primering with a coat of red, then laid some paint on, a good rub with 1500 grade wet and dry between all coats and finished as smooth as!
Got some Decals from ebay "perfect decals" there not perfect but for 22 there worth it, over 300 from aprilia for genuine ones just for the tank side panels and nose fairing, phew! I'm afraid the spending has to be reduced somewhere and although it pains me I've had to compromise here.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1237.jpg

Really pleased with the result, just needs lacquering tonight and should be great.

also put the wings on the nose cone.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1238.jpg

the wings definitely weren't perfect and if you notice I had to fit them at a bit of an angle ,otherwise they would have creased really bad .Its really difficult getting them around contours and bends in the plastic but managed it with only a tiny crease in the left one, but think they look fairly effective. would like to get a decal like the original around the screen, think I'll try a local signwriter see what he can do for me.

Found the best way to do the big decals is to spray plenty of water on the panel first with a touch of fairy liquid in it, and even lift them off again and spray more water under them. That way they slide around fairly easy until you get them exactly where you want.
with the small decals I just put them in place and secured one end with masking tape then peeled the other end and started from there.That way they stayed in place.
Gonna give the side fairings a go tonight, reckon the big lion decals could be real tricky!
Ps ignore the dates on the photo. The cameras never been set up they were all done recently.July 2012

chrism15
07-24-2012, 10:09 AM
nice work!!!

Michelet
07-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Wow! Looks great!

Really impressed of your work :happy:

nicketynoo
08-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Just some more pics of the fairing decals. I was unable to get the decals to fold over the top lip of the fairing so I sliced the excess off on the top edge,likewise with the small cut-outs in the centre and the mounting hole at the top.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1271.jpg

So I masked it all off and sprayed these sections in gloss black

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1274.jpg

Really pleased again with the result ,looks really effective ,just needs a few coats of lacquer and finishing off with fine wet and dry and T cut.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/CIMG1275.jpg

RS_Roadrage
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Looking Great read this whole thread! haha will be great to see it all finished , but then again does a project ever finish?haha

RS_Patrick
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Couldnt you heat the sticker with a hair dryer and than get it to go roumnd the corner? that might have worked.

nicketynoo
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
yeah possibly thats an Idea but its the first time I've ever done this. Was putting them on in the middle of the night and getting a bit stressed with them to be honest.But the spraying looks good anyway and you won't notice without looking really closely!

Michelet
08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Why isn't the sidefairing glossy as the tank?

nicketynoo
08-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I think the tank had been lacquered but the side panel hadn't in that picture. It has been now and wet&dried and T cutted. Its like glass now! I'll put pictures of all three on when there finished. Have only just lacquered the left hand panel tonight so still some work to be done on that.:happy:

Michelet
08-03-2012, 07:49 AM
You put clear lacquere over the decals?

nicketynoo
08-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes I did and theyve come up fantastic. Just the world champions sticker on the tank didn't take too well to lacquer at first but kept adding layers then smoothed it back down. The panels really feel glossy now like new plastic!

gookies
08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
What kind of laquer are you using? Can't it crack the plastic later on?

Michelet
08-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Ahh, I regret not putting clear paint lacquer over mine.. :bangwall:

RS_Patrick
08-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I dont always like the look of it especaily on thicker decals wen you look at an angle at the pannel and light fals on it.

With thin decals i always put them under a layer of clear coat.

nicketynoo
08-04-2012, 04:43 PM
The lacquer looks and feels great, it will protect the paint and the decals. The paint I had mixed needed lacquering anyway, but the original tails piece I got was lacquered too.

nicketynoo
08-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Can you spot the original panel? obviously anyone who's read this project will know!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0144.jpg

Yeah I know the orange stripe gives it away!

chrism15
08-05-2012, 09:42 AM
hell there nice :eek:

ryanperkins
08-05-2012, 10:34 AM
SEAT COWL ;)
and fancy giving me them :O
bloody good job :D

RS_Roadrage
08-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Where did you get the warning stickers and stuff for the tank think there called technical stickers or something haha!

Michelet
08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Wow, they look amazing!

As Ryan said, the seat cowl :p:

nicketynoo
08-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Where did you get the warning stickers and stuff for the tank think there called technical stickers or something haha!
yeah there the technical decal set from aprilia ,I just like stickers like that they make it look original. I wanted the sticker for the swinging arm for adjusting the chain which came with them, also the small decals for the petrol lever on the frame.

RS_Roadrage
08-07-2012, 10:30 AM
is she back together yet? :D

nicketynoo
08-07-2012, 05:08 PM
She's still built with the bad panels, I'm using it now and again . Still waiting for the odd decal and panel sprayed before I fit all the freshly sprayed panels.

Michelet
08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Please dont let your son use it with the mint panels in the beginning!

Haha, just a friendly adwise.. If he dont know how to drive a geared moped he should stick to the bad panels in the beginning.
I've learned from my own mistakes :bangwall: (Oil in a turn..)

RS_Patrick
08-07-2012, 06:51 PM
...or stick sideweels on and limit it to 15mph :p:

and oil in a turn is not really your mistake... btw, did you try to claim it on the insurance of the town the road belonged to? i seen cases where they had to pay the damadges because there was oil on a road and there responcible for the roads being clean and safe.

Michelet
08-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I know.. But with some more experience I would probably held lower speed through the turn there..
Was a car standing there when I came around it and I had to brake.

Don't think thats the way it work here in Norway.. Would have been great if it did!

RS_Roadrage
08-08-2012, 02:50 AM
I've only got one set of pannels :( going to get them done with a spray gun and instead of the manuel poggiali replica make it like the one in my avatar haha, I'm putting my pannels on strainght away and then going for my test if I can handle the power of a fifty that is ;)!

meanstrk
08-12-2012, 11:16 AM
THe more I look at this paint scheme, the more I like it. I think I will do the same on mine. I was thinking about doing a replice Colin Edwards look, but I really like this one...

I am going to strip it down to frame and do a brushed finish on the frame instead of black as well.

Copie
08-13-2012, 10:14 AM
She's still built with the bad panels, I'm using it now and again . Still waiting for the odd decal and panel sprayed before I fit all the freshly sprayed panels.

where abouts in scunthorpe are you from?
in from scunthorpe and have a xr6 in the garage 54 plate from new (lost interest when i had a car lol)
now im thinking of rebuilding it for work as i have a baby on the way
I need help with re building it and its the same engine as the rs50 (am6)
any help will be great

nicketynoo
08-17-2012, 04:30 AM
hi copie sorry i havent replied earlier İ am sunnıng myself in Turkey.Wıll be home on the 24th . ill be glad to help you ı lıve on brat hıll farm at the bottom of ashby . wıll contact youwhen ı am back home.

RS_Roadrage
08-17-2012, 04:38 AM
hi copie sorry i havent replied earlier İ am sunnıng myself in Turkey.Wıll be home on the 24th . ill be glad to help you ı lıve on brat hıll farm at the bottom of ashby . wıll contact youwhen ı am back home.

lucky for some! ^ :gunner:

nicketynoo
09-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Well its now the anniversary of buying a basket of shite thats turned into a decent bike that I'm having a lot of fun on. Not really got a lot to report on the bike since I got back from Turkey. Except I managed to source a bottom left hand fairing piece in quite good condition. Sprayed this up and added the decal but when I came to polish it some paint flaked off both the black and red paint right at the bottom of the panel, so I've had to rub the bottom back down and start again. Almost finished it now!
Bought some red fixing bolts ready for when I get a new screen, and mirror fixing screws to match.Also got a black screw and spacer for the tank mount and a 13 tooth front sprocket to see how the bike will pull with that on. All these bought from pjme.
But the big news is I've enjoyed riding bikes again so much I've splashed out and bought myself a suzuki rgv250.:banana: Can't believe I won it on ebay for the starting bid, just took a punt really.I haven't even seen it in the flesh but looks really tidy in the pics. Its a vj21 model and looks original.I'm going to view it tomorrow evening and pay a deposit and have it delivered.I'm really nervous about it though as I haven't got any details on the registration or anything. Oh well I'll find out tomorrow if its genuine. Pics to follow!!!:)

chrism15
09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
suzuki rgv 250 ey? alright for some! haha good luck with it mate

oh it may interest you to know that if you for whatever reason need a new cylinder then you can fit one off the suzuki rg fun/wolf 125 as they are exactly the same except you get TWO! :) i have the suzuki rg fun 125 with the same style fairings ect, a few people on another forum have fitted cylinders from the rgv 250 to there 125 as a replacement, obviously no performance gain there

and IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY the Aprilia Rs250 is the same engine pretty much which they got from suzuki and fine tuned it - i know the 250 guys on here rave that the aprilia 250 engine is much better quality than the suzuki but i dont know

nicketynoo
09-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Thanks Chris thats worth knowing.

nicketynoo
09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
As promised some pics of my new baby! have kept the RS in the photo's just to keep it Aprilia based, there really isn't much size difference between the bikes,in fact I reckon the RS' seat is higher!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/rgv/PICT0241_zps8deeef2d.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0240_zps7c25e4bc.jpg

Also hard to believe theres 10 years between them!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0242_zps31e4887d.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/PICT0243_zps2f410b05.jpg

I've had to clean the garage out to fit it in but reckon there's room for at least another 2 in there now!
I've had a couple of jobs to do on the suzuki ( Carbs cleaned in the Ultrasonic bath, new plugs as both were different and one of the cap threads on a plug were stripped, also need an air filter as none in the air box?????) Turned it into a 1 kick starter now. My right leg nearly fell off trying to kick it off the first night I got it!! Need a MOT and tax and I;ll be burning some rubber, cant wait! Just got insurance for both bikes for 12 months for 180 but got 50 back when I cancelled the insurance for the RS :lover:. RESULT!!
Need to be careful I don't stop work on the RS now tho' .Still needs finishing touches.:cool:

chrism15
09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
nice, seriously loving that RGV250! looks very very similar to my Suzuki Rg F 125 (i dont have the side panels due to a previous owner crashing it and removing them.. makes it look so small compared with yours haha)

any plans for the suzuki?

nicketynoo
09-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Not planning any tuning at all just leave it standard, will obviously be stripping bits and making them like new,but I plan on riding it for a while to see how it goes. Would really liked to have had a blue and white one ,so may change the paint ,which isnt brilliant anyway.I plan on keeping it for a long time and ending up with a minter.
I've spent a lot of cash on the aprilia and at the end of the day it still wont be worth much so it will be worth spending on the suzuki as its value will only be going up. If you get what I mean.:p:

RS_Roadrage
09-19-2012, 01:12 PM
very nice!that RGV is very clean! id love an RS 250 next year but with the law and whatnot looking abit slim! and that gianneli is growing on me cant wait to buy one in november time!:P

chrism15
09-19-2012, 01:24 PM
The RGV250 will be worth ALOT in years to come so youv got the right idea keeping on to it and lets face it it will be SO much fun to ride in the mean time!!

when i did my bike test and my instructor saw my bike he loved it, he said to hang on to it because in just a few yrs it will be worth MUCH more. he said its as good as keeping money in the bank (this was after i mentioned i wanted to buy a bandit 600, his reply was just keep the Rg at all costs but buy a bandit ASWEL if i want one lol)

even when i toke mine for its MOT just the other week, the tester loved it! he said he has a R1 and a 250 two stroke and he says he has much more fun out of the 2 stroke than he does his R1!

Michelet
09-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Looks like you followed my tip? Using the old fairings? :)

nicketynoo
09-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Looks like you followed my tip? Using the old fairings? :)

just not got the new ones completely ready yet!
2 strokes are already getting sort after so in a few years there value will shoot up. I've already thought that the rs 50 could become a good little earner . Its a classic case of a popular bike with loads about and then all of a sudden they'll become hard to find. Just like the Yam FS1E's, RD's and suzuki P's etc. Hang on to them!!
Same as yours Chris!:lover:

killerofangels
09-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Wow nicketynoo, your project has really come a long way. I hadn't checked this thread for a few months but your painting skills are really top notch! I'm jealous of your 250 too. I hope it turns out as good as the RS when you're done working on it. Keep us updated.

apriliamandan
09-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Lovely bikes! love the RGV and am suprised how little size difference there is between them! Which 1 do u find more fun?

nicketynoo
09-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Have only ridden the RGV to the test station and obviously a slight detour on the way home:) and it is awesome. Not ridden a fast bike for a while so was slightly scared by its speed! So I would say at the moment the RS is much more fun and I still really enjoy riding it. I feel like I've neglected it a little lately but have just stretched my cash a bit too far. Have got a new rear tyre in the pipeline along with an inner fairing, decals to have made for the nose fairing and a new screen.Then I can fit all the panels and declare it almost finished! But I've still got nearly a year to complete it.:cheers:
By the way the RGV failed the test but only due to a perished front tyre, not too bad but still another 100.

celica221
10-13-2012, 11:55 PM
looks good

nicketynoo
12-23-2012, 08:15 AM
At last I've got round to working on my Aprilia again. Ordered a new Hel brakeline for the front cos the banjo bolt had corroded a bit and Hel's come with stainless ones. Was ordering a new set for my RGV so tagged this on with it. When I tried it I couldn't believe it, only 9 inches too long and looked obscene.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121205_190220.jpg

I'll give Hel credit tho I rang them and gave them the correct measurement (700mm ) and a replacement was here within 2 days at no extra charge.

Heres a comparison with the old one .
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121205_190432.jpg

Also some final touches completed.New screen from puig and new back tyre to match the front. All panels fitted and almost declaring this project finished,but I've still got 11 months left so some small improvements will be carried out

I did have a small problem with the thermostat too. when I first took the bike out it would get to the red on the temp gauge and then drop to the centre and control there.Was a bit worried it was getting too hot and reckon the stat was sticking so whipped the head off and changed the thermostat for a spare I had.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121206_115022.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121206_115007.jpg

This piston and head have only covered a couple of hundred miles and I reckon they look pretty good to me, nothing untoward going on in there!:)

chrism15
12-23-2012, 09:19 AM
finally another update! :D nice to know your still at it and still have the RGV!!

bloody hell that new line was long :eek: but like you said credit to heli since they sorted it out no problem

your piston looks like it has a healthy amount of carbon on the crown, all the ports look like they are transporting mixture clearly

nicketynoo
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Just like a no.6 bus, no updates for a while now 2 come together. All freshly painted panels fitted and new screen too!

Had a bit of sun for a change so managed some pics:banana:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121223_105703.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121223_105719.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121223_105742.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121223_105808.jpg

And check out the cool number plate!:cool:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/aprilia/20121223_105754.jpg

chrism15
12-23-2012, 05:56 PM
nice! are you sure you want to give it to your son to ride!?:happy:

as for the weather, we have had a couple of great sunny days over at the other end of the UK sataday and sunday(today).. we will see what tommorrow brings, proberbly rain or maybe even snow since its warmed up so much!! :(

nicketynoo
12-24-2012, 01:36 AM
nice! are you sure you want to give it to your son to ride!?:happy:

as for the weather, we have had a couple of great sunny days over at the other end of the UK sataday and sunday(today).. we will see what tommorrow brings, proberbly rain or maybe even snow since its warmed up so much!! :(

No I don't want to give it away, I've really become quite attached to this bike. I've got to admit I think this is the best bike I've ever owned!

Think I should start looking for another wreck to do up for meself, but this time give it a bit of tuning. But need to get this one out of the garage first:crybaby:

chrism15
12-24-2012, 04:49 AM
at this rate you will be doing it for a living nicketynoo! haha :)

have you done much riding on your RGV lately? is it just sitting quietly in the garage being polished in this cold weather?

back on topic with the RS50.. it is looking really really nice now mate and i even remember when you started it and you uploaded a couple of pics of just scrapped parts and look where you have to got it too!

nice work mate

apriliamandan
12-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Bike looks lovely! If that was me though, i would clean the carbon build up off the head and piston. The plate is asking for trouble....

chrism15
12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
id leave the carbon on the piston crown since the top end is virtually new! its a healthy build up which wont cause any problems.. you can see where the ports are transporting mixture free'ly

RS_Roadrage
12-24-2012, 01:51 PM
^ Dan, i think its just a show plate a plate like that i imagine would be VERY expensive! Scene as hes 16 i imagine thats why the 16 and his name obvs? Haha

ryanperkins
12-24-2012, 07:21 PM
robbing the "kiss my rs" off my old bike i see ;) haha lovely bike though!

nicketynoo
12-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah the plates just for photo's couldn't afford owt like that. I knew I'd seen the "Kiss my RS " somewhere before ! Hope you dont mind ryan I love it. Couldn't clean the carbon off the piston as there virtually none there. Bloody hell I'd have to strip it every couple of hundred miles! a bit of carbon on there is nice and healthy anyways!

apriliamandan
12-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Did you check for any high spots on the piston? After 50 miles i stripped my airsal kit down to get rid of those high spots to prevent picking up.

RS_Roadrage
12-25-2012, 03:58 PM
You stripped it down because of the noise dan come on now!;)! No doubt you will but id keep compression chart then every 1000 MILES recheak pressure untill a noticible differenve is made ! :)

ryanperkins
12-25-2012, 04:31 PM
haha nah its fine nicky ;p

nicketynoo
12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Did you check for any high spots on the piston? After 50 miles i stripped my airsal kit down to get rid of those high spots to prevent picking up.

Only found 1 high spot, really funny it came out in the shape of an arrow!:lover:

apriliamandan
12-27-2012, 11:18 AM
You stripped it down because of the noise dan come on now!;)! No doubt you will but id keep compression chart then every 1000 MILES recheak pressure untill a noticible differenve is made ! :)

The noise is piston slap on idle. It is worth getting rid of high spots, alot of 2 stroke enthusiasts get rid of high spots every 50 miles or so...
Compression chart is ok...but once a noticeable difference is made....it will be to late! :P

LukeRS
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
@Nicketynoo, Any chance of creating a book about your project which will then become a film? It was just great to read it after the project had finished so I can go from page to page to page. Kudos for such a great project and thread alike! Favourite part when you spontaneously bought yourself a bike!

nicketynoo
01-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks Luke "spontaneity" is my middle name. My missus is going away soon for a month and I'm meeting up with her after 2 weeks and I'm contemplating another purchase while she's away! Hopefully she'll never notice the difference between my bikes. I just feel like I need nother bike to ride while I'm working on the RGV. Hate to admit it but I've got my eye on a 4 stroke this time,. A certain bike is shouting at me to buy it! Watch this space!

Pleased to see your not too far away from sunny scunny luke. Up the Mighty Leeds!:)

LukeRS
01-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Marching on together! Yeh when I whip my bike into shape I was thinking about making a run to the Scunthorpe side of England! Ah what bike are you thinking? Ah I imagine four strokes are fun to work on. I'm currently helping my dad rebuild his moto guzzi Le Mans. Really nice bikes. Oh also what was your sons reaction to the dream bike you built? Oh all these sneaky purchases are great! Keep it up nick!!!

chrism15
01-01-2013, 08:51 AM
My missus is going away soon for a month and I'm meeting up with her after 2 weeks so I'm Arranging another purchase while she's away!

fixed it for you ;)

nicketynoo
01-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm actually looking at an aprilia Falco at the minute or even considered a yam trx. Fancy a twin, just like the Idea of something a bit different. Checked on insurance for the Falco today and would cost me another 56 on top of my other bikes, :lover: Scandalous! Ha Ha the joys of being old!
Starting to run out of space though in the garage.

chrism15
01-03-2013, 03:11 PM
bloody hell nick your doing alright arnt you!... not jelous or anything :rolleyes: haha

i love the aprilia falcos.. but take a look at schlossers custom falco and you will never look at your own again! (will edit and find a link to the thread in a min ;) )

EDIT: just look at this falco.. just everything about it!! the RSV4 tail... the exhaust is art work in itself :eek:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?247699-Schlossers-new-Falco-is-finished&highlight=falco+project+finished

LukeRS
01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Better hook us up with one pictures when you do buy! Ooooo 56 is so much cheaper than my insurance will cost!:( do you know how much your son's insurance is btw?

LukeRS
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Holy shit Chris! That looks awesome!! Nick that could be a great project for someone who is as good with projects as you! I think that aftermarket fairings are always better. Like the Honda RVF 400 with an aftermarket tyga performance body kit looks great.

apriliamandan
01-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Marching on together! Yeh when I whip my bike into shape I was thinking about making a run to the Scunthorpe side of England! Ah what bike are you thinking? Ah I imagine four strokes are fun to work on. I'm currently helping my dad rebuild his moto guzzi Le Mans. Really nice bikes. Oh also what was your sons reaction to the dream bike you built? Oh all these sneaky purchases are great! Keep it up nick!!!

Luke, my father also has a Guzzi Lemans 850. His is a Mk1 with the bikini fairing, in bright Red. Cant believe what they are going for now!! Get some pictures up of it!

LukeRS
01-04-2013, 12:57 PM
@apriliamadman its actually a T5 that has been cafe racer-d but has an 850 Le Mans engine. He has a California v11 too. Not th ugly one its a really nice stream line cruiser. Well the bike is in bits ATM as we are stripping it down and rebuilding it as it only has 6.9 compression and the owners manual recommends closer to the 10 mark. Also we are cosmetically re-shaping it, aiming for this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moo+guzzi+cafe+racer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#biv=i|2;d|ODEDCApiLNIciM:

PM me if you wanna talk about them more cos I feel as though we are stealing Nicks excellent thread!

apriliamandan
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
@apriliamadman its actually a T5 that has been cafe racer-d but has an 850 Le Mans engine. He has a California v11 too. Not th ugly one its a really nice stream line cruiser. Well the bike is in bits ATM as we are stripping it down and rebuilding it as it only has 6.9 compression and the owners manual recommends closer to the 10 mark. Also we are cosmetically re-shaping it, aiming for this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=moo+guzzi+cafe+racer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#biv=i|2;d|ODEDCApiLNIciM:

PM me if you wanna talk about them more cos I feel as though we are stealing Nicks excellent thread!

Very nice! I bet Engine rebuilds are very expensive! They are big old lumps arent they!! lol We should chat some more mate over PM.
Sorry Nick! :/

nicketynoo
01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Better hook us up with one pictures when you do buy! Ooooo 56 is so much cheaper than my insurance will cost!:( do you know how much your son's insurance is btw?

Not sure luke I haven't checked yet but I expect it will be 5 or 6 hundred.

Have just missed out on the Falco I had my eye on ! rang today to view it and it'd just been sold :( I dithered and lost out. Oh well in no rush but yer snooze yer looze!!!

LukeRS
01-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Aw. What other bikes you or in mind? I would imagine Scunthorpe would be a great place to ride a sports bike!:)

nicketynoo
01-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Still looking at Falco's
Scunthorpe is not really a great place for anything really, but I must admit there are a lot of great roads leading away from here:cathat:

nicketynoo
01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Quick update ,took the RS out for a quick spin and after about a mile it overheated and pissed its pants:( think I need to strip again and remove the thermostat altogether. Trouble is I'm struggling a bit for space after my recent purchase. Need some decent weather so I can move bikes outside to give me some elbow room.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/nicketynoo/Falco/DSCN1257_zps42bd424a.jpg

Dont worry though it came with a grey cover so if my missus ventures into the garage when she gets back off her jollies she won't notice :eek:

apriliamandan
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Looks lovely! Nice akrapovic and wavy disks! You have some lovely bikes.

RS_Roadrage
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
That is very nice, is that a solo cover i spot?;) Dan i right you do have some nice bikes! get them in the kitchen haha! Make sure it is the thermostat first though, but its not really needed really, just takes a little longer to warm up atleast you have got some time before your son needs to ride it to sort out the little teething problems

chrism15
01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
glad to here you got one sorted before your wife gets back ;)

akra's... awesome, never change them.. or maybe shorten them a couple inches if you get bored

let us know how you get on sorting the Rs50

nicketynoo
01-22-2013, 03:44 AM
glad to here you got one sorted before your wife gets back ;)

akra's... awesome, never change them.. or maybe shorten them a couple inches if you get bored

let us know how you get on sorting the Rs50

Not my wife Chris, I've already got through two of them:eek: Thats probably why we get on so well:lover: I'm going out to lanzarote to meet up with her next monday for 2 weeks ,but dont even think about coming over and having my bikes away,they're heavily guarded!!!
Can't see me being able to keep it secret though,she'll be wanting to know why I've got such a huge smile on my face all the time.

By the way you noticed a couple of mods but heres the complete list,its a really well sorted bike.

1. Forks recently refurb'd and revalved by Reactive Suspension.
2. Liight weight RSVR OZ wheels, with new wheel bearings, powdered coated dark metallic black by Triple S
3. New Pirelli Supa Corsa Tyres. (New)
4. Stainless HEL brake hoses
5. Performance Friction Brake Pads (New)
6. Blackshadow Wavy Brake disks (New)
7. Digital Gear Indicator
8. Quality Folding brakes levers (Titax) (New)
9. RSVR Swingarm with new bearings, professionally polished, with New hugger
10. Colour matched belly pan
11. Side stand mod (Honda Fireblade stand) Powder coated
12. Brand new chain and sprockets, Tsubaki gold chain and renthal sprockets
13. Akropovic Exhaust system - originals available
14. Evo Airbox
15. New battery with more Amps for starting
16 Oberon clutch slave

And Roadrage the pillion seat cover is standard on the Falco's

chrism15
01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
:lol: i think you have your life pretty great nick!

titax levers always look the part on any bike

also what sort of protection are we talking about? gaurd dogs.. cctv? :happy:

apriliamandan
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Whats your address Nick? ;)

nicketynoo
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
:lol: i think you have your life pretty great nick!

titax levers always look the part on any bike

also what sort of protection are we talking about? gaurd dogs.. cctv? :happy:

I have a Pitbull budgie! :lol::lol:

chrism15
01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
hell your bikes are safe, from me at least! :eek: :lol:

littlefeller
06-16-2013, 01:01 AM
is this still not finished :eek: yep im back again. just starting my next aprilia, been too bizzy before buying cars. keep the RGV, shame it isn't the gamma there worth even more now. there was an RG500 on ebay around 10,000. they wasn't that much new. my latest build project is a full power rs125, 2005 with only 4600 miles (though I doubt this is genuine as the first and second mot has 1650miles recorded, so my guess is speedo drive went very early on and wasn't replaced till 2012 when suddenly the mot shows 4300miles). it needs a new big end.