PDA

View Full Version : Seat cover for sxv 550

RacerX901
10-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Anyone know where to purchase aftermarket seat covers, or even the OEM or vdb seat cover ONLY,thanks in advance

MickyC51
10-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Anyone know where to purchase aftermarket seat covers, or even the OEM or vdb seat cover ONLY,thanks in advance

I had my seat redone by Fisher Saddlebags. Cost me about $220. Nate is a very nice guy and I am completely happy.

http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html?gclid=CN6H4_edtqoCFQFN4AodH2Hk4w

boki
10-11-2011, 07:33 AM
^Great find, I think I'm going to be doing the same thing. I know that every rider has specific needs and stuff but what exactly options did you select on that order form and how do you like it? Like seat width, height, did you increase and by how much. Did you go with extra soft or just soft? Details please. Thanks.

MickyC51
10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
^Great find, I think I'm going to be doing the same thing. I know that every rider has specific needs and stuff but what exactly options did you select on that order form and how do you like it? Like seat width, height, did you increase and by how much. Did you go with extra soft or just soft? Details please. Thanks.

The seat is 10 inches wide. I would have been comfortable a little narrower but it's not a biggie at all. He picked the cover.I think it was the carbon fiber but I'm not sure and again he picked the density. I don't find it very soft at all which is good. If you do order any time soon mention me. The seat got lost via USPS and we spoke a number of times. I tried to up load a pic. I don't know if it worked. If it didn't search the archives. I ran this just a few weeks ago.

MickyC51
10-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Did the pic work tis time?

boki
10-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks, that looks pretty wide to me but probably very comfortable too - I think I'd go with a bit narrower option. Did you increase the height? Did you select extra soft, soft, medium or hard for padding? I think he could also keep the color scheme of my 2008 sxv black and red seat. Did you black out your bike by any chance, all I see is black? Must be looking great - do you mind posting a pic of your whole bike?

I will definitely mention your forum name (I don't know if that's enough for him - if not PM me your full name and I'll make sure to mention it to him when ordering). Sorry for thread jack OP.

MickyC51
10-11-2011, 12:15 PM
My full name is Micky Curry.

I was looking to buy black body work cause my red stuff looked kinda shody. I posted on the list to see if anyone had some they wanted to sell. Someone said how they used Krylon plastic paint and it worked pretty good. I figured what the hell and gave it a try before I spent $300 bucks on the new stuff. I tried it on a spare piece I had let it sit over night then twisted the hell out of it to see if it cracked. Holy crap it didn't. No prepping no sanding. I just washed the old stuff pretty good with Simple Green and sprayed it with one $6 can and it worked great. It doesn't look like a factory piece and I figured eventually I'd get the factory pieces but afterwards I decided I love it and if and when I don't like it I'll paint it again. maybe try another color. White maybe? I took all of an hour to do the 5 pieces.

boki
10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
^I love it, looks really clean, I think I'll do the same one day (I'd add a mate black or dark gray Aprilia lion decals to it though). And I just saw your signature has your full name - me blind! Thanks for all the info.

Waxerdog
10-11-2011, 02:37 PM
If you are just looking to recover the seat after the stock cover falls apart you can always do it yourself and stay on the cheap side.

All you need is a good staple gun, some 3M or other spray inhesive and whatever material you want to cover it with... I found the last two at a local store the ladies go to for sewing stuff. They had thick vinyl in different colors by the square foot and the spray.

Took the old cover and staples off. Cut the material with about a two inch overlay to the seat (or use the old one as a templet). Used the spray and started in the middle of the seat working my way out to tack the material onto the foam. Once it was all covered I used the spray to tack the material on the underside and staple things in. Trimed it and was all set. Total cost was under $40 and whatever beer used during the deal.

Make sure you have a staple gun that will go into the seat plastic before starting! :rolleyes:

MickyC51
10-11-2011, 09:57 PM
If you are just looking to recover the seat after the stock cover falls apart you can always do it yourself and stay on the cheap side.

All you need is a good staple gun, some 3M or other spray inhesive and whatever material you want to cover it with... I found the last two at a local store the ladies go to for sewing stuff. They had thick vinyl in different colors by the square foot and the spray.

Took the old cover and staples off. Cut the material with about a two inch overlay to the seat (or use the old one as a templet). Used the spray and started in the middle of the seat working my way out to tack the material onto the foam. Once it was all covered I used the spray to tack the material on the underside and staple things in. Trimed it and was all set. Total cost was under $40 and whatever beer used during the deal.

Make sure you have a staple gun that will go into the seat plastic before starting! :rolleyes:

This sounds good. I confess I was seriously thinking of going that way because I am inherently cheap. I wussed out. I gotta say at this point I'm kinda glad I did.
As you see the seat has a seam and the Renazco seat I bought used off of this list also had a seam. I didn't think you could get the wide flatness I liked without the seam.
BTW I'm going to repeat myself....if you do get a seat Renazco is good but definitely not the way to go. The Fisher is just as good, six months faster, and about 2/3ds the price and you don't have to pay well in advance.

Pilota
10-12-2011, 02:06 AM

CEET has an RXV/SXV seat cover on their ebay store.