PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D. underlighting!!! What do you think?

scootnfast
04-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey all!!! I though some of you might get a kick out of this...

I used to have neons under my scoot, but I have had 2 of them burn out on me. Being that neons aren't cheap, and they aren't fun to change, I decided it would be better to go with led's. I was going to get a few LED bars and attach them, but I didn't have the flexibility I wanted and they are very expensive.

So I decided to buy some led's from superbrightleds.com
I bought 3 different brightnesses. I purchased 30 - 3500mcd, 30 - 5000mcd, and 30 - 10000mcd LED's. So a total of 90 leds were purchased, and it cost me about $40

Then I needed some resistors. I didn't want to have to put a resistor on each led, so I decided to go with a 25 ohm 22 watt resistor. This resistor is capable of powering 10 led's in parrallel. I purchased 10 of them for about $10.

So I have a total of about $50 invested and I have enough to put 90 led's on my scoot where ever I want them to go!!!

I started by removing the bottom faring off my scoot. Then I drilled holes into the plastic where I wanted to put the led's.

This is what it looked like when I drilled the holes:

scootnfast
04-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Next I epoxied all the led's into the holes. I staggered the different intensity lights about the bottom... This way it will be bright, but also have a nice even coverage.

This is what it looked like after the led's were in the holes:

scootnfast
04-09-2004, 07:07 PM
Next I soldered a positive and negative lead to all the led's... I put a total of 30 led's on the bottom. So I had to use 3 resistors to power them (3 power lines, each attached to a resistor leading to 10 led's in parrallel)

After the soldering was done, I used hot glut to cover all the connections to prevent corrosion and prevent grounding of the power leads.

Here is what it looked like after I got done soldering everything on:

scootnfast
04-09-2004, 07:09 PM
OK! Now that I had everything wired, it was time to put power to the led's!!! Here is what it looked like from the bottom:

scootnfast
04-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Here is another in the dark!

scootnfast
04-09-2004, 07:12 PM
And here is what it looks like with the lights shining on the carpet:

scootnfast
04-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Once I get it back on my scoot, I will take some more pics with it shining on the pavement! But I am really happy with my results. The lights are much brighter than my neons ever were. They actually lit the entire room up when the lights were off. The picture doesn;t do the brightness any justice. You can get a good idea what it looks like from the pics, but it looks much better in person.

I now plan on removing my turn signals and drilling holes in the rear faring and putting a line of led's on each side of the scoot and use them as my turn signals.

I also want to put a line of red led's and use them as an additional brake light on the rear.

Once I get all that done, I will post some more pics for you to see what it looks like.

I really like having the loose led's, the application is pretty much endless. You can put them any where you want, and they are extremely bright. Not to mention they use hardly any power!

Well I just though some of you might like this application and might want to try something like this for yourself!

justo316
04-09-2004, 09:35 PM
I was considering going for a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lighting kit from my local Jaycar electronics shop. They look like neons, but are much brighter and they draw 100mA for the 10cm long one, or 300mA for the 30cm version.

I guess the only thing I don't like, is having to drill through my fairings as it's next to impossible for me to get replacements.

But, otherwise, hell yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing more pics!

Haribolman
04-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Damn scootnfast, you got way too much time on your hands!

Get a job, man!!

In the meantime, I think what you've achieved looks trick. I wish I'd thought of it first, but hey, I bet I'm the only person with an LED "Knight Rider" chaser as a brakelight built into my topbox!

phidauex
04-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Haribolman
Get a job, man!!

He probably HAS a job, which is why he can afford fun stuff like this! I know his mom isn't paying for it all. ;)

I've got handfuls of loose LEDs I use for similar things, though I've only got two on my scooter right now. They are red ones over my license plate bracket, lighting it up instead of the regular license plate light.

I'm planning on doing a similar thing you've done, but to my brakelight lenses. Drill a bunch of holes, and mount the LEDs right in the lens, with some areas wired as turn signals, running lights, and brake lights, with some flashing when I hit the brakes, and others solid or dual brightness. I just need to find the time to actually DO it, between all my other million projects.

I'd love to see some pics with it on the scooter. I know pictures don't do LEDs justice, especially at night, but I bet it looks really nice!

peace,
sam

scootnfast
04-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Justo316

I guess the only thing I don't like, is having to drill through my fairings as it's next to impossible for me to get replacements.

One thing to remember, these are small holes. and if you should ever want to change things, you can just get some black plastic epoxy and fill the holes in. Then sand it down and polish it with some polishing paste... You will never be able to tell the holes were there.

I was thinking about the same thing as you... What if I decide I don't like it???? Then I saw black plastic epoxy at the hardware store and decided that was a way out if I changed my mind.

TiminIndy
04-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Looks great--I'll pay you to do mine with all of your extra lights!