PDA

View Full Version : Using a race ECU with a stock exhaust temporarily

SupaSkippy
09-28-2011, 07:40 AM
OK so firstly i have looked at the sticky threads and couldn't find specifically this question answered there.

So i have ordered a new Austin Racing Pipe and a race ECU for my 2010 RSV4 but the exhaust may not get here in time for when i have the bike booked in at the bike shop for some warranty work. I was going to get the race ecu learning procedure done at the same time as the warranty work. My question is would there be any problems with running a race ecu with a stock exhaust while i wait for my new exhaust to arrive, probably for only a couple 100km at the most.

tasosm
09-28-2011, 08:29 AM
The answer is easy.Get the RACE ECU do the learning procedure and then get the standard ECU back in the bike.Once you do the learning procedure with the RACE ECU you can change the ECU by yourself.So when you receive the exhaust you can fit both of them without visiting the Aprilia dealer again.

jgos929
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
The answer is easy.Get the RACE ECU do the learning procedure and then get the standard ECU back in the bike.Once you do the learning procedure with the RACE ECU you can change the ECU by yourself.So when you receive the exhaust you can fit both of them without visiting the Aprilia dealer again.

That sounds like a lot of work and not easy at all.

Your bike will be fine. Its just going to run a little richer with the stock exhaust thats all. Nothing to worry about.

Ed / AF1 Racing
09-28-2011, 10:10 AM
That sounds like a lot of work and not easy at all.

Your bike will be fine. Its just going to run a little richer with the stock exhaust thats all. Nothing to worry about.

what do you mean? same amount of work....takes 7 minutes to swap ECUs, and he needs learning done on RACE ECU anyways, once thats done, he can swap the two ECUs at any time.

Rspec99
09-28-2011, 12:14 PM
I would not run a race ecu on the stock exhaust for any amount of time.

The problem is not with the fuel mapping, but with the fuel cut programming used on the stock ecu for the benefit of catalytic convertor. The race ecu allows fuel when the throttle is shut which will burn or contaminate the catalytic convertor.

potere
09-28-2011, 12:34 PM
The cat is built to last 50,000 miles or some such figure. I ran my V2 with stock pipes and Map2 at Laguna Seca (db restricted track) and the full Akra otherwise. Do I care if the cat died? Not really.

I checked this out with one of the AF1 boys and the answer was, no, it won't damage the engine, only the cat may be affected. If you are a greenie I guess that might matter to you but then again if you are a greenie, why are you riding an RSV4?? 30mpg is more chartreuse or butternut green I would think.

jgos929
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
what do you mean? same amount of work....takes 7 minutes to swap ECUs, and he needs learning done on RACE ECU anyways, once thats done, he can swap the two ECUs at any time.

I mean why go through the hassle of putting the stock ecu back in when there is no need?

Rspec99
09-28-2011, 03:39 PM
I am not familiar with the RSV2 ECU, but it sounds like map 2 is just an alternate fuel map for aftermarket exhausts. If it runs rich, it may foul the catalytic convertor and over time ruin it, but without the fuel cut it can burn out the convertor in very short order (at least this is what occurs on other bikes).

SupaSkippy
09-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys responses, it might just be easier to swap the ecu's back over, like Ed says it is only a couple of minutes work.

marcoxedge
09-29-2011, 06:01 AM
@AF1

so did I get it right, that once the learning procedure has been done I can change between the ECU's w/o doing the learning procedure again.

I.e. my bike ran with standard ECU, but now has the race ECU, so that I can simply swap back to the standard ECU without doing the learning procedure?!

thanks in advance

Ed / AF1 Racing
09-29-2011, 06:30 AM
@AF1

so did I get it right, that once the learning procedure has been done I can change between the ECU's w/o doing the learning procedure again.

I.e. my bike ran with standard ECU, but now has the race ECU, so that I can simply swap back to the standard ECU without doing the learning procedure?!

thanks in advance

Yes, once learning is done between a particular bike and ecu it can be swapped with another ecu that has had learning to that same bike

The learning "data" stays with the ecu and is "married" to the chassis it was learned on. You cannot lend out your ecu to a buddies bike unless he does learning to his bike.

For all you race ecu doubters that ride dyno graphs, take both learned ecus to the track and do some back to back laps.