PDA

View Full Version : Track time today

Chris_Mag
09-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I managed to do a 3 20-minute sessions at Portland International Raceway this afternoon. My lap times were in the 1:17-1:18 range in the 3rd session (the only session I timed), which is about 10 seconds off the top expert club racers' times.

Michael Czysz was out on his new bike, a 2010 RSV4-R. His bike was running the stock ECU w/ a Bazzaz Zi-Fi TC and AR slip-on. He's running a stock shock w/ a re-valved (GP Suspension) fork. It was fun watching him rail around (he was several seconds a lap faster than me). I have to comment - that thing sounded awesome.

As far as my times, I found that I needed to add compression to both ends, and the bike was pumping when leaned over on the gas. If I had more time, I would have added rear rebound from the stock 20 clicks out for the Ohlins.

Overall, it was a good day. I'm satisfied with my lap times considering today was only my 4th time on the track in 10 years and only the second time (2 half-days) on the RSV4, and the first time running the bike with the GP/Ohlins combo.

One more thing to add - the Puig screen AF1 sold me worked like a charm to reduce the buffeting (at 160+ indicated) which had been a problem last year. For the money, it's a no-brainer for anyone doing track days.

MishMashRSV4
09-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Im curious how he liked the Bazzaz unit. Im becoming more interested in it the more I read.

slothfryk
09-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Good job putting down the laps! My Dad lives up in Eugene, and my girl has friends in Portland. I've talked about trying to make something work up there next year. We'll have to see if that pipe-dream becomes reality...

To have Michael Czysz run a Bazzaz is a pretty big endorsement. He's been incredibly influential in the e-racing scene. I would have loved the opportunity to pick his brain on it's use and application. His involvement in the Skip Barber MC school was a strong backing, and his success behind the actual racing of the E1PC speaks even more. A journalist buddy of mine keeps up with him, and it sounds as though he's really got a good head on his shoulders.