PDA

View Full Version : Finding neutral with aftermarket rearsets

iakai
09-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Does anyone have any problem finding neutral with aftermarket rear set?!

I have Gilles and I m having hard time finding neutral with it. However, it wasn't a problem with stock rearset when engine is hot. Also the toe kicker part is a roller type which makes things worse. Maybe I should change back to stock shifter instead?!

ChaseU
09-18-2011, 11:55 PM
I have the Sato rearsets and have the same problem.

You may be able to achieve some relief by adjusting the mount or pivot point of the shift link at the lever and at the shift shaft mount. I see on the Gilles rearsets you have two mount points on the lever and two mount points on the shift shaft mount.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the shorter the travel of the shift link, the less play you'll have making it harder to find neutral. Make it longer and you should be able to find neutral more easily.

fastmike
09-19-2011, 12:28 AM
That doesn't really sound correct to me. I think the purpose of the extra mounting holes is to provide for adjustability in the linkage. That way you are able to adjust the toe piece where it is comfortable for you in case there isn't enough with just the shift linkage. Either way you will never be able to make it longer without making the toe piece out of position.

I don't recall the stock rearsets shifting all that great. In order to hit neutral easier go from 2nd to N while still moving.

MishMashRSV4
09-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the shorter the travel of the shift link, the less play you'll have making it harder to find neutral. Make it longer and you should be able to find neutral more easily.

Correct. Leverage priciples...but! We also do not know if he has clutch drag causing it, the oil type and age, etc...

I have Woodcraft rearsets. I just added the Gilles shift shaft support and it does help find neutral better...but moreso adjusting the clutch freeplay helped more

Rspec99
09-19-2011, 03:04 AM
I am running the Gilles FX rearsets and my experience has been the opposite. Both shifting and finding neutral is a big improvement over stock.

I would agree with what MishMash has said in that adjusting clutch free play helped in my case too. I was just getting too much clutch drag and the clutch just was not disengaging all the way, making it difficult to shift when the bike was at a standstill. On my particular bike, I found that running very little clutch play was ideal. When I picked up my bike from the dealer, there was no play in the clutch at all.

I have a feeling that the RSV4 needs a lot of travel at the lever, and minimal clutch play too. Check this article about a journo testing Max's race bike.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/11/04/first-ride-max-biaggis-factory-aprilia-rsv4/

It's a good article (and a fun read), but here's the excerpt that caught my eye.
"The clutch lever follows suit—adjusted all the way out, with zero slack."

Now I know that Max's bike is a lot different in most ways than a street going RSV4, but the clutch design is probably not altogether so different.

DuctTape
09-19-2011, 04:02 AM
I have the AR sets setup for GP shift and neutral is easy to find.

Rspec99
09-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Then again, the SBK bikes clutch basket looks to be significantly beefier.

A thing of beauty.

MLP68
09-19-2011, 01:25 PM
I have the same problem running Rizoma reasets, and also had it with the original ones!
i have not tried to adjust the clutch yet, but will try to! Thanks!

Berzerker
09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
using Woodcraft here..... never a issue !

sonic rr
09-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Has anyone unplug'd rear light switch?

shegotpop
09-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I have the same problem running Rizoma reasets, and also had it with the original ones!
i have not tried to adjust the clutch yet, but will try to!
:plus:

I was thinking i just need to get in there and do some fine tuning...

MishMashRSV4
09-19-2011, 10:25 PM

Yes, but technically no. Left the switch in place, put secured it so its permanently depressed so its inactive. I dont want to mess with the Aprilia ECU in case there would be an issue unplugging it. Hid the depressed switch behind the frame and rearset.

ckruzel
09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
with a misadjusted clutch its going to be a problem no mater what brand, i have rizoma's with no problems

ChaseU
09-20-2011, 05:01 AM

Yes I have removed it completely, unplugging it from under the right side of the tail where the connector is. No error codes are thrown, nothing unfavorable has occurred.

fastmike
09-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Which rear light switch are you talking about? The tag light?

sonic rr
09-21-2011, 06:27 AM
That's what I guess'd. Did u have to remove or jack up the tank? I can't see the connector. Thanks again for the reply Chase

Sonic

sonic rr
09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Rear brake light switch i was referring to.

Rspec99
09-21-2011, 02:33 PM
The rear brake switch has a connector on the right side of the tank. You will have lift the tank slightly to gain access.

Serg
05-03-2015, 11:51 PM
I use rizoma rearsets and have the same issue where i struggle to find neutral. Is it a common problem? Is it easy to fix? Its a pain. Pls help