Hopefully not a double post. snagged this from mvagusta.net

Guy seems like a great rider.

RSV4 Aprilia Philip island bike cam - YouTube

Chris

Wattsy_Rules
09-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Hopefully not a double post. snagged this from mvagusta.net

Guy seems like a great rider.

RSV4 Aprilia Philip island bike cam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfrK0IFSHMc)

Chris

1m 44secs on a street bike at Philip Island is pretty handy. :worship:

potere
09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Nice interlude to a Monday at work, thanks. Hats off to the pilot, he deserves an RSV4 for sure.

zvez
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I was very impressed and wish I had half that ability!
Chris

Nice interlude to a Monday at work, thanks. Hats off to the pilot, he deserves an RSV4 for sure.

slothfryk
09-16-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm going to be out there on October 7th, anybody going to be joinging me?

Unfortunately I'll be on a "hired" GSXR-600, but that will still be plenty of fun. I just don't have the sort of money to be shipping my bike internationally, but that would be pimp. Maybe someday.

Quick question: why do these guys still have brake lights that function? There's no track regulation to tape them up, yank the fuse, or unplug them? That's massively distracting. Why did he remove mirrors but leave the tail light? Was this a magazine promo or something? I thought the track org clearly stated no videography? How did this dude get on with a camera?

One thing is for sure; I'll be sure not to hesitate during a pass (2:45 in the clip) and when I do, I'll be prompt about it (lack of commitment at 3:00 in clip). On the third lap this guy starts to put down some good skills. But what was with the lack of other riders? Nice empty day. Sucks for the org-owners.

Oh, and I dig Deadmau5, but don't always like the stuff with vocals. IMO.

Dia01
09-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Impressed, great watch and great talent.

Tarrasque
09-16-2011, 11:30 PM
You will find about 50/50 road bike to track bikes. The road bikes will have break lights still working, just the mirrors tapped up.

I find the break lights not a distraction, because if you see them come on early, you all ready know you can easily pass them on the break on the next(s) corner.

You can sneak a camera on the track, or if you know the guys they turn a blind eye to it.

I find it better to hesitate on the pass. I don't know what type of rider the person is in front of me (more so If just caught up to them). If they are front of me, I let them have the right of way, last thing I want to do is squeeze on the inside, and have them turn into a corner to early with them knowing I am there, better to follow them fora corner or two, learn if they break early / power out late, and pass them that way. You are there to have fun, not race.

Also If I know some one has caught up to me, I just let them pass. Just safer there, no need to 'block' them, take a corner a little slower, or not speed up as much down the straight.. Every body wins that way.

slothfryk
09-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Tarrasque, thanks for the tips on the safety check. I see your point. I'll have to adapt.

Also, you are quite the gentleman. I agree that allowing a rider time to ride his ride is an excellent approach. In my reference to the clip, perhaps hesitate wasn't the right word. Maybe I should have said attempted, or second guessed it. An approach or charge that really wasn't there to begin with.

And on your second point, when you hear riders coming up on you, again, I support your approach because taking a tight line should allow the person to get around the outside of the turn, where it's safer for them. Just gotta be clear in your body language, and not take eratic lines as a result.

Will you be out there?!?!?! I'm looking to meet some other Aprilia folks.

kadracing
09-17-2011, 04:14 AM
It would have been nicer with the backing music down so you could hear the engine.Phillip Island is better with late apexes. Don't turn into turn 1 until you get to the pit lane out lane. This from a CSS instructor. turn 2 there a multiple lines, 3 is super quick . Turn 4 seems slow , don't get caught out . Watch the bump out of Siberia , you can get a bit of a shake. Watch the bump on the apex coming out of the hayshed right corner.Dont go in too early for Lukey also watch out if the wind is gusty, It can blow you across the track or it's unnerving if the wind is supporting you and it drops. Short shift out of MG. apex , the left and just keep rolling on the throttle. Don't turn in too early for the last corner . let it run wide and head for the first E in melbourne at the start finish line If you are going quick enough the front will go light or lift off just as you pass under the bridge. Enjoy the view of the ocean on the way down and keep an eye out for birds near the track. Overtaking , that's up to your style,

RossGuzzi
09-17-2011, 08:32 AM
I was booked in for a trak day after the last Supers last year. Had to come home early so missed it. BUMMER !

Wattsy_Rules
09-17-2011, 06:35 PM
slothfryk if you enjoy tracks, Philip Island will knock your socks off. The vast majority of the bikes on the ride day will be road registered so all will have brake lights...some might have them taped up.

Re the overtaking, I suggest you be a little careful. They have had a lot of accidents where nuffy's have incorrectly overtaken so now the company that runs the ride days is really careful and will black flag anyone who they think is getting to close.

What kedracer said is spot on but also stay in turn 12 longer than you think the first time you come onto the straight...it has caught many people out who have run wide onto the grass.

I'm riding at the Island on 31 Oct and 1 Nov.

Jaguar
09-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Re the overtaking, I suggest you be a little careful. They have had a lot of accidents where nuffy's have incorrectly overtaken so now the company that runs the ride days is really careful and will black flag anyone who they think is getting to close.

:plus:

I was down there doing CSS recently and my mate counted 6 binnings out of about 45 participants! And that was a "tuition" day, rather than a ride day proper.

They'll tell you there's a "2 metre" rule. There is a lot of room - but, equally, there are lots of lines through many corners & the result is people being hard to predict.

As Wattsy says though, if you like tracks, you'll love the Island. Enjoy.

Tarrasque
09-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm in Sydney, and not doing a PI trip this year (600miles trip down to PI), so no, I wont be down there. Just watching the video and he was coming up to people, I was thinking about how I would overtake them.

on the 2nd lap at MG I think (before he started to 'open it up') that last guy, I wouldn't have taken that inside line, and as you could see the person in front did 'cut across'.

There is 4 groups of 40 i think (maybe 35). So that's a good 140+ riders on the day. Expect half a dozen accidents. So you will be riding with 35+ people that you have no idea what there skill level is like, and a few of them trying to 'show off'

kadracing
09-17-2011, 08:01 PM
slothfryk if you enjoy tracks, Philip Island will knock your socks off. The vast majority of the bikes on the ride day will be road registered so all will have brake lights...some might have them taped up.

What kedracer said is spot on but also stay in turn 12 longer than you think the first time you come onto the straight...it has caught many people out who have run wide onto the grass.

I'm riding at the Island on 31 Oct and 1 Nov.
I used to pass on the out side but a quick one up the inside is safer as you don't get pushed out when people don't know you are there. though if you have a lot of speed go out or in . Will be there with some Aprilias and Ducatis

See you there .

OZ RSV4R
09-17-2011, 08:46 PM
CSS is great at Phillip Island I have done it too but plenty of people treat it as a race session when clearly told not to and it can be quite irritating when you are concentrating on the tuition you have received and you get a bike passing underneath you at high speed in turn 1 at the end of the straight. I think they need to police it a bit more. I have seen a number of people bin their bikes at CSS including some wanKer on turn 1 of the first session of the day at high speed on a blinged out 1098. Clearly didn't listen to the riders briefing....

Im told by CSS staff that the dropped bikes usually happen in session one cos people don't listen and the last session of the day when people are tired and they are full of confidence...

Wattsy_Rules
09-17-2011, 09:45 PM
...Im told by CSS staff that the dropped bikes usually happen in session one cos people don't listen and the last session of the day when people are tired and they are full of confidence...

CORRECT!!! :rolleyes:

kadracing, look forward to catching up. I stopped ridng a few years back and pick up my new bike on this coming Tuesday. I'm in the med-slow group for the 31st and then the med-fast group for the 1st.

I have had many friends warn me of the 'weekend warriors' I'm going to have to deal with in the slow group. I intend playing by myself for the first day and will keep out of everyone's way.

:peace:

68W
09-18-2011, 02:39 PM
1m 44secs on a street bike at Philip Island is pretty handy. :worship:

no kidding...considering Hayden holds the lap record at 1:30.059 and Stoner holds the qualifying record at 1:28.665...both in 2008 when spec tires and engine limits did not exisit.

kadracing
09-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey Wattsy. The PI trackday riders tend to be better than the EC guys. Nowhere near as many idiots. I will be running med/fast both days , but I have started racing so I will be using thses days as practice as well. Will be on the RSV4 and my vfr400. Racing in BEARS on the 2-4 dec

wilkson
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I will be there in the red group.

slothfryk
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Red group? I'm assuming that's the racer group?

Kadracing, I'm glad to hear there's less of a silly contention at PI days. I hope I can hang with the med/fast group, that's what I'm signed up for now.

kadracing
09-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Wilkson is quick.Sloth , ride to your abilities. If you have a problem , see the staff and they will probably move you around ,

Wattsy_Rules
09-19-2011, 04:56 AM
Red group? I'm assuming that's the racer group?

Kadracing, I'm glad to hear there's less of a silly contention at PI days. I hope I can hang with the med/fast group, that's what I'm signed up for now.

Will be cool to catch up with you as well sloth. The faster guys tend to be pretty safe provided you hold your line and don't do anything unexpected. No doubt you'll probably be one the of the quick dudes anyhow.

kadracing/sloth, I'm playing in the med-fast group on the second day so will be looking for you both to show me some of those faster lines. :peace:

RSV4_Au
09-19-2011, 06:28 AM
They need to reduce the numbers at the ECRD's, as a shorter course they shouldnt be running the same group numbers as PI, or at least add another group in the mix
Will be heading to PI for a ride day next year cannot wait!

slothfryk
09-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Hehe, we are the "green group." That's funny, like we're n00b's. I like how B1 is yellow. Here in the States, there are a often bunches of sandbaggers and braggers in B group, which means there are lots of yellow flags. Here there are only 3 groups, which means 8 sessions per day vs. the 6 sessions you guys ride.

I wasn't sure what you guys were talking about with the whole 2-days thing and colors. This trackday is actually a gift from my girlfriend, with the bike hire and all. Yeah. I'm gonna have to marry this one, I know. You guys will meet her out there, and then totally understand. She's awesome.

So Wattsy, it does look like I'm on the second day as well. I may have you tow me around in the morning, while I get the corners memorized, and then pick it up in the afternoon.

I'm so EXCITED!!!!

Simcard
09-19-2011, 07:54 PM
I'll be there on Oct 7th however it will be on my Gixxer - 8 hour practice. Although might try & squash the RSV4 into the trailer...

kadracing
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey Sloth, she got a younger sister for me, ha, You will love the place, Where you staying when you are there.

wilkson
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
I'll be there on Oct 7th however it will be on my Gixxer - 8 hour practice. Although might try & squash the RSV4 into the trailer...

Thinking about doing the eight hour myself . How many riders you using in your group ?

slothfryk
09-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Simcard- your name reminds me, are you guys 100% GSM cell network, or does someone support CDMA? I'm on a US Verizon phone, CDMA single band. However I kept my previous two Blackberry's that were both Dual Band, CDMA and GSM. Figured I'd talk to Verizon and take those. Look forward to seeing you out there as well. GSXR-1000 I take it?

Kad, she's got a younger sister, yes. But already married off, and not the same personality. ;-)

Wattsy_Rules
09-19-2011, 11:48 PM
....Kad, she's got a younger sister, yes. But already married off, and not the same personality. ;-)

Hehehehehe....I might be mistaken, but I don't think kad wants to meet her for her personality.

:) :) :)

kadracing
09-20-2011, 12:24 AM
No Wattsy . I do want to meet her for her personality. Though I am probably a bit old for her

kadracing
09-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Sloth, GSM . Cdma shut down a while ago. Probably use your blackberry or get a prepaid sim here.

Simcard
09-20-2011, 03:56 AM
Thinking about doing the eight hour myself . How many riders you using in your group ?

Think you have to have 3 riders, as yet we haven't finalised the final lineup. It will be my return to racing after a 10 year lay-off, thought I'd just ease myself back into racing with something low-key.........

Wattsy_Rules
09-20-2011, 04:27 AM
No Wattsy . I do want to meet her for her personality. Though I am probably a bit old for her

SO many things to say, but out of respect...and the fact I will be meeting sloth, I'm gunna shut the F*ck up. :lol:

BTW, I divorced about 5 years ago and my partner that I've lived with for the last 2 1/2 years is 15 years younger than me. Apparently us old men may not have rock hard abs but can treat a woman properly. ;)

wilkson
09-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Think you have to have 3 riders, as yet we haven't finalised the final lineup. It will be my return to racing after a 10 year lay-off, thought I'd just ease myself back into racing with something low-key.........

Ha ha ....we did the Hidden Valley 3 hour in August great fun different type of racing .

Simcard
09-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Ha ha ....we did the Hidden Valley 3 hour in August great fun different type of racing .

Hopefully the island won't be as humid!

Got to do some serious training before December me thinks....and cut a second or two off the lap times.

slothfryk
10-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Hey Kad, Wilkson, I missed you guys! I went searching the garages, and approached every guy on an Aprilia. Only two knew of the forum, and I didn't find you guys.

Probably not the end of the world. By the end of the day, Hayshed and I had a few cross words.... pics when I'm back in the States.

You guys going to be at the GP race? Email me at slothfryk@gmail.com and we'll set something up. Cheers!

wilkson
10-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Sorry Sloth we are there at the end of the month. How was the weather and did you enjoy the track ?

slothfryk
10-10-2011, 09:44 PM
D'oh! That explains it. My apologies.

I LOVED the track. Weather was teasing to rain, but never even sprinkled. Of course, it never warmed up, either. The MADAZ rented GSX-R was shod with Q2's, and I've never been a big fan of them. Had a good front-end push in T4 early in the day while horsing around with a buddy of mine. Then I relaxed a bit, but got carried away on a squishy (compared to the V4) bike and street tires towards the end of the day.

This is all I can share for now. My buddy that took it titled it "There will be blood."

wilkson
10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Oh no.

wilkson
10-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Ok I have waited a day . What happened ?

kadracing
10-11-2011, 07:25 PM
yeah , as Wilkson said

slothfryk
10-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Toward the end of the day I was cooking along decently well. My buddy and I were still duking it out. I went into Hayshed with some good momentum. I entered a little later than usual, and that left me out on the texture, so I wanted to tighten my line, and prep for the left hander up and over that hill. Well, rather than bring my shoulders down, I just pushed the bike down. Might not have been too bad if I were relaxed like the beginning of the day. I was tired and stiff, and when the front let go I didn't react quickly enough.

The low-side carried me accross to the far shark-teeth, where I suspect my heel caught, and tossed me and the bike over. Then we went summer-saulting through the kitty litter. Bike landed on my legs, but I didn't break anything. I hurt like hell, but I'm just leaving my buddies place here in Sydney for Manly Beach. However, after tossing a bike away like that, I don't feel very manly. Haha. Pics tonight, I hope.

fastmike
10-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Ouch! Is a low-side included in the rental fee?

wilkson
10-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Fuck. Glad your OK the Hayshed is fast so any off is not great through there .
Enjoy Manly hope you get some time down the beach have a few beers and relax now.
Did the kitty litter eat the bike those stones are corse.

kadracing
10-12-2011, 12:28 AM
as wilkson said

wilkson
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
How was the beach ? Pics ?

slothfryk
10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Mike, there was no damage included in the fee, so I was on the hook for all of it. The R6 I was already prepping for sale should cover what I spent on the bike, but it's thoroughly trashed. Forks looked straight, but the tank was bashed in from catching the rough and turning the low-side into a high-side, thus all sides were toast.

Wilk, that kind of answers that. Yeah, the gravel is way more coarse than I expected, and I'm sorry I had to find out. It certainly is a quick turn, but based on the laptimes of the video in the original post, I wasn't even near that.

slothfryk
10-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Early in the day, my mate and I were having some fun. He's the middle bike, #22, and I'm the left bike, #20.

This is clearly the left side of the bike. Remember, the crash started as a low-side on the right.

And because Wilkson asked, this is a pic from T&G(?) beach, which is way on top of Manly beach. Beautiful sights back towards Sydney proper. We spent the day having [more than] a few drinks and with a friend who has an [amazing] house on Manly, and my German coworker who just transferred to Sydney. He is to my right in the pic, and notice I'm still rocking my sponsor's logos, even in Australia! Katie, my girlfriend, has been amazing this whole trip. Especially with my BS about this crash. I thought she was going to kill me, but she's been amazingly caring. I'm grateful.

Cheers!

wilkson
10-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Good to see you smiling . Bummer about the crash.

fastmike
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
At least you're alright. Still able to have fun and use alcohol for pain relief!