PDA

View Full Version : 2 parts: Parts and Problem

energie
09-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone,
So my dad has a 2010 or 2011 (I forget) RSV4 and I'm looking to find a fender eliminator kit for him for christmas but the only place I know that makes one is Competition Werkes but it looks pretty bad and I doubt it would fit albertas big license plates. Does anyone else make them?

And second, he's had a problem with his bike since day one. His bike would constantly die, I'm 99.9% sure his gas was boiling, nothing was working right. They remapped it and it works better, but his primary valve in the exhaust wont open up when in gear, it just stayed closed like in neutral. Anyone know why this would happen?? is there a tune you can put on here from a power commander to fix all this or what?

potere
09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Check the Graves and the Evotech eliminators. I got the Evotech, made in Italy, nice and allows use of stock turn signals. AF1 sells it.

Get in touch with TuonoAB, he's near you and may know where to take the bike for service.

Only the 2011 has the butterfly valve in the exhaust. It was put in partly to help with the lousy fuel mileage the 2010's were getting.

Ed / AF1 Racing
09-09-2011, 01:27 PM
2010 bikes had the exhuast valve too

the 2010 mapping uses the valve differently than the newer better 2011 mapping.

Rspec99
09-09-2011, 01:54 PM
newer better 2011 mapping.

Can we say that the 2011 mapping is really better than the last 2010 map? We know fuel mileage has improved, but the softer throttle response low-mid rpm performance has been the trade off.

Has there been any talk from Aprilia about a revised 2011 map that puts the "spunk" back into the throttle response and still keep the fuel economy improvements?

energie
09-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Well I just don't know why they can't get something as simple as a valve opening up to work properly without everything else failing.
Maybe I just don't understand the concept but usually when you fix something, you shouldn't break something else.

slothfryk
09-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Treading on thin ice, energie.

I'm sure you wouldn't visit a neighbors house and ask about their RV while taking a turd on their new rug.

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but just a heads-up.

Chris_Mag
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Well I just don't know why they can't get something as simple as a valve opening up to work properly without everything else failing.
Maybe I just don't understand the concept but usually when you fix something, you shouldn't break something else.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Biaggi's RSV4 WSBK bike uses the exhaust valve, or at least has at certain points.

A Four-stroke power valve is a device fitted to four-stroke engines that constantly adjusts the internal diameter of the exhaust system to better suit engine speed. At low engine speeds the wave pressure within the pipe network is low. A full oscillation of the Helmholtz resonance occurs before the exhaust valve is closed, and to increase low-speed torque, large-amplitude exhaust pressure waves are artificially induced. This is achieved by partial closing of an internal butterfly valve within the exhaust at the point where the four primary pipes from the cylinders join. This junction point essentially behaves as an artificial atmosphere. The alteration of the pressure at this point controls the behavior of reflected waves at this sudden increase in area discontinuity. Closing the valve increases the local pressure, inducing the formation of larger-amplitude negative reflected expansion waves. A servo motor controlled by the ECU opens and shuts the valve.[1] The valve goes from being almost fully closed at idle speed, through to fully open at higher engine speeds. This ensures superior low to mid-range performance, more linear power output and reduced exhaust noise levels while the valve is in its reduced opening position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_power_valve_system

energie
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Hmm thats different. I remember before it would open up when you switched into any gear from N.

Phunky Phish
09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Come on guys, WNFO!!
Do you not get the R&G fender eliminator in the states? (tail tidy to us brits!). Another option.
And I would suggest a software update won't change the boiling fuel?!
I also suggest you read the derestricting ecu and do I need a race ecu threads to understand the power comander options my friend.

Chris_Mag
09-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Hmm thats different. I remember before it would open up when you switched into any gear from N.

Yep, the 2011 mapping keeps the valve closed at lower RPM. 100% normal if the dealer loaded that map onto your dad's bike (Aprilia has approved 2011 mapping on 2010 bikes).

fastmike
09-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I say get him the birthday present and then let him figure out the problem as it doesn't sound like you have much of any idea as to what the problem is, not even knowing what year the bike is.

All the fender eliminators that were recommended are good options. Competition Werkes are normally not the way to go, IMO. The 2 nicest options I've seen are the Graves and the Evotech. The Graves because the plate is angled with the bike. The Evotech because it fits perfectly into the recess in the tail and the stock blinkers were made for it. Look at both of those and pick which one suits your fancy. They're both quality.

ckruzel
09-09-2011, 09:33 PM
i have the evo tech that af1 sells, works great!

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/et7489.jpg

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7680

yanz27
09-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Graves with AB plate and kellermer LEDs. Only issue with graves is no license plate light. Solved it with plate bolts with integrated light from local harley dealer. Looks tight

energie
09-10-2011, 10:06 AM
That looks really good thanks!

Sorry everyone for turning this into such a big deal, I didn't think I'd get flamed that much. I know about bikes, I have a Suzuki GSXR750 myself but I've never seen what happened to his bike happen to anyone elses so it was hard to explain, not to mention its not my bike so I can't explain fully everything that happened or what the dealer did with the mapping and all that.
Now that I think about it, I know its a 2010, so for it to be updated with the 2011 mapping could make sense, which would also explain why the exhaust does what it does.

BTW sorry everyone, I read what I put and it did sound pretty bad. I'm not knocking anyone here or Aprilia, I'm just very misinformed so I apologize.

jgos929
09-10-2011, 02:06 PM
No need to apologize. Get the graves eliminator it looks better

fastmike
09-10-2011, 04:29 PM
No need to apologize, but probably better to let your Dad sort it out since he knows what's been done to the bike. Maybe tell him about the forum for his birthday so he can get some assistance after he tells everyone the full story.

JC120
09-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm sure you wouldn't visit a neighbors house and ask about their RV while taking a turd on their new rug.

Just like what my dog did to my rug today. Didn't even bother to use the hardwood floor where it's easier to clean. Thanks Shredder:pissed:

duff_boy
09-11-2011, 06:46 AM
No need to apologize. Get the graves eliminator it looks better

You're joking, right? It looks horrible. Evotech is a awesome piece of kit, and it actually fits the bike and looks like its meant to be there

canal rat
09-11-2011, 12:43 PM
the evo works great however i had to put a larger set of leds on it because the stock one is too dim and it brings the unwanted attention of Johnny Law.

jgos929
09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
You're joking, right? It looks horrible. Evotech is a awesome piece of kit, and it actually fits the bike and looks like its meant to be there

Well I own one so why would I be joking. Your opinion isn't the only one that matters on here buddy:)

illtal
09-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Well I own one so why would I be joking. Your opinion isn't the only one that matters on here buddy:)

yea i like it as well...

fastmike
09-11-2011, 10:18 PM
the evo works great however i had to put a larger set of leds on it because the stock one is too dim and it brings the unwanted attention of Johnny Law.

Just don't ride at night and then there's no need to even hook the tag light up. Just Kidding, but I don't ride at night and don't have a tag light.

I do like the Graves kit though, even though I have the Evotech.