PDA

View Full Version : Question about Map 2

03rsvMille
09-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I dropped off my '07.5 to have Map 2 downloaded and just brought the bike home $135 later.

My RSVR is equipped with Arrow slip-ons and upon deceleration, my bike always made popping and burbling noises.

I brought it in to the dealer to have the map switched assuming that the bike still had Map 1 loaded on it, but when I just rode the bike home, I still noticed the bike making the same noises. Also, I really don't feel any major power increase in the bike.

I guess my questions are 1) What exactly does Map 2 do? and 2) Should not the popping and burbling noises go away with Map 2? (is it possible that the second map was not even loaded on the bike?

Is there a way to check which map I have on the bike?

Thanks everyone.

worc_RSV
09-01-2011, 05:49 PM
$135.? Yikes, my dealer charged $40.

You could have also shipped your ecm to AF1 for a 3rd of that price.

shazam
09-01-2011, 10:53 PM
The only way to check for which map your bike is set for is on the
axonne, the person switching your bike will not have been able to
switch between maps without it?
Also, fookin ell, $135,thats well steep m8, in England that would equate
to 100, mine cost 25?
Sounds like you got stumped buddy

potere
09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Only way to tell is putting the bike on the Axone or a Navigator (newer one). My dealer charged $50. Did they do anything else?

It shouldn't be popping on map 2, no. I won't 2nd guess them as to whether they actually succeeded getting map2 on it. There is no use whatever to making guesses, only the Axone will tell you.

The difference between the 2 is mostly the richer mixture at low throttle settings, like when cruising on the highway. It will also feed more gas with a less restrictive pipe which you presumably have with the Arrows. However, slips don't end up handing you more than a few horse, less than 10. You'd need a full system to get more than what the slips do.

As an aside, you can run map2 with stock pipes without any problem at all. Anyone who tells you otherwise is spewing hot exhaust. Search this thread and you'll find Micah's comments on this.

Mille Racer 69
09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Even with my $2,000 full akra system a few years back, I gained peanuts according to the dyno.

The Commissar
09-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Even with my $2,000 full akra system a few years back, I gained peanuts according to the dyno.

Jesus...I've seen first hand what Akras can do on an I4 bike, but every person who has had Akras on THIS bike in particular says the same thing.

Why so expensive?

I guess I'm on a tangent.

Also, OP, you go shafted on the price, and it sounds like he didn't even remap it, just told you he did.

Mille Racer 69
09-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Jesus...I've seen first hand what Akras can do on an I4 bike, but every person who has had Akras on THIS bike in particular says the same thing.

Same for other bikes.

Stepping up to anything aftermarket from crazy stock restricted pipesis an upgrade.
The "performance gain" on other bikes from Akra will be the same with Leo Vince, arrow, yoshi, even d&d.
All the same
The differences are with the size of the core which will alter volume and backpressure

The Commissar
09-02-2011, 12:44 AM
I've gotten better returns with Arrow and Akra over Leo and Yoshi. Don't get me started on Two Brothers.

Mille Racer 69
09-02-2011, 01:07 AM
I have taken most of those cans apart to get inspiration to create my own setup.
They all use a straight perf pipes stretching from 1 end to the other
The perf pipe diameter can differ from 1 to the next.
Other than the diameter, what are the differences between
The aftermarket pipes that create power?

mcjongs
09-02-2011, 02:10 AM
I have taken most of those cans apart to get inspiration to create my own setup.
They all use a straight perf pipes stretching from 1 end to the other
The perf pipe diameter can differ from 1 to the next.
Other than the diameter, what are the differences between
The aftermarket pipes that create power?

The only thing affecting power is the pressure drop, volume and the flow in an exhaust system.
Looking at the OEM Aprilia headers they are in fact quite good wrt. dimentions, sharp elbows and i.e the down pipe from the rear. I have a full akra (not the Evo6) an this is slightly larger (wider) up with the outlet from the cylinders but the bend on the rear is in fact not so long radius as the std pipe, actually it has a "bad" connection mid the bend wit too sharp angles welded together, if you know what I mean.

I think that the std exhaust is quite good and therefore the advantage of getting i.e. an akra or Arrow full system is minor on these bikes.
Best value for the money is slip ons.

But I would have liked to have an Evo6 :)

03rsvMille
09-02-2011, 06:51 AM
I also felt that the price was a bit high. (there is another dealer in Brooklyn, though)...

I am almost tempted to go to the other dealer in Brooklyn and have him check which map is on my bike just to find out if I got taken for a ride (no pun intended).

Does anyone know the code that is suppose to be associated with Map 2, (I believe my dealer is using the Navigator)?

This is the file name for use with the Axone according to Amuri's sticky that has been posted to this forum. Is it the same for the Navigator?

-266536 (file VD5L980$.BIX) originally installed, no updates currently available

blu-j
09-02-2011, 09:48 AM
When I first installed map 2,I felt like there wasn't much difference in power,but I know it was installed because I lost about 5 mpg.Never experienced popping.I paid $75.00,but when a new map came in the dealer called me and installed it for free.It worked better,do not know which # it was.This was done last year.

Fox Fader
09-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I just got mine back from AF1 today. I will put it on when I get off work. I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm looking to get the flat spot cleaned up in the low rpm range.

Miticale
09-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I work here at the Brooklyn shop. Have an '08 RSV, titanium slip on, Map 2. Still get backfires on de-cel.

shadowblaster
09-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Mine was changed to MapII just prior to the upgrades I did. I thought I noticed a very slight increase in mid range, but as already stated nothing more, as for the popping, I believe this is quite normal so saying it should go after Map II I can not see being right. Mine did it before after and now it has all the upgrades and has been fully mapped on a dyno still does. The gains I have had are mainly mid range, no more dips, with a mild increase at the top of the range. Oh and when they changed mine to map II I was told they needed to balance the throttle bodies as well, otherwise it could be a waste of time, which cost me 60.

Number7s
08-12-2019, 01:40 PM
I’ve been thinking about updating my ecu to map 2 but I ride at mostly 5k ft and above elevations. Since map to riches up the mixture I’m thinking it wouldn’t be too beneficial. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Skipbarberman
08-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Pretty sure Map2 is fuel, ignition and other variables, not just fuel alone.

kzmille
08-12-2019, 05:14 PM
The system compensates for altitude no matter which map you run.

Kamm Matt
08-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Im also not really sure either mine is totally load the map2 into the ecu.. mine garage use the piaggio navigator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcYj33m3vtg

Kamm Matt
08-12-2019, 07:52 PM
and mine bike doing the popping aswell.. alot of poppings and boombinggs.. hahaha.. but i can felt the differences on the mid range rpm.. it kicks out on the midrange pretty fast.. and i load the ecu a new mapping version too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxeadowCjjU

**sorry about the video quality** hahaha :D:D:D