PDA

View Full Version : Generator Cover fitting tool / Stator blown

Yellowduck
08-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Does anyone have the dimensions for the alignment tool for re-fitting the Generator cover?

The recent issues I had were due to the famous Blown Stator problem :(

BTW, how come my Falco's a year + 10,000 mile older than my (18,000 mile) RSVR but I've never had any issues with the Stator??

kzmille
08-28-2011, 11:25 AM
You can get the thread dimensions from the plastic plug. It's not absolutely necessary to have the tool but it does make the job easier.

Yellowduck
08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks KZ.

Is it just to help fit the case or does it take care of alignment?

I was wondering if it centralised the parts on the Stator side to the Rotor etc?

kzmille
08-28-2011, 02:31 PM
It's mainly to keep you from pinching the ends of your fingers when the magnetism pulls the cover from your hands. If you have some long 6mm screws cut the heads off them and screw them into the engine and use them as guide pins. Watch your fingers. those magnets are powerful.

Tifa
08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Sadly....I'm in the same boat here as Yellowduck

Kz....These finger trapping magnets.....do I need to contact Chuck Norris to pull the cover off ?

Or is there a technique/tool I can use?

Cheers :)

kzmille
08-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, there is a tool. It is just a piece of round stock with the correct threads to screw into the central hole in place of the plastic plug. Just makes a good handle. As I said before, not absolutely necessary but it does make it a bit easier.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/0277252.jpg

Yellowduck
08-28-2011, 05:21 PM
The magnets! That explains why the cover was hard to pull after about 10 mm of movement. I thought I was doing something wrong and something was caught so pushed the cover back and re-assembled everything. Once I checked the engine manual though I realised it should just pull off.

Thanks for the long bolt idea KZ, I'll try that.

Me and Tifa have this as our Bank Holiday project! :)

theknurl
08-28-2011, 05:58 PM
the threads are M24 X 1.5

Kirk you can't go by the dims of the plastic plug....its about 0.5mm undersize

1st ziptie the neutral wire out of the way

use 4, 50-60mm long guide pins

deburr the cover

wear gloves

kzmille
08-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Kirk you can't go by the dims of the plastic plug....its about 0.5mm undersize

Yeah well, any competent machinist would figure that out.