PDA

View Full Version : Learning

kevinb
08-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Just a few random thoughts after an 11-hour hookey-playing ride yesterday.....

Having only ridden a limited selection of bikes before (GZ250 at school, Multistrada 620, DR 650) I knew the RSV was a big, powerful bike. But I didn't realize how big and powerful it might be in comparison to other liter bikes until recently. Compared to other bikes classified as Sport Tourer, the RSV seems small, but compared to a superbike like the 1098/1198, the thing is practically a hog.

My biggest revelation, however, came yesterday when I got to ride a buddy's Sport Classic. While the engine size is the same, it only has about half the hp, and it's quite small. But I LOVED it! It was soooo easy to ride, and so comfy! It was set up for GP shift (the guy who owns it is a natural on the track), which I enjoyed, too - I'm planning on making the switch myself (the only tricky part was remembering that first was up, and remembering which way to go to find neutral when I missed it when coming to a stop).

As my buddy says, the SC sort of forces you to take a proper body position, which is what makes riding it easier. Getting back on my RSV, I realized how true that was. The ergos on the RSV are sort of vague by comparison. I'd thought I wanted the pegs set back low, where I have them now, but now I realize I want them higher. But I think the biggest improvement would come from some tank grips - with textile trousers, I always find myself sliding back to front, which is no fun, especially on bumpy downhill twisties.

Well, back to the real world of evacuating for the hurricane....

rx7tt95
08-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Yeah good luck with that Kev. Having lived in New York City I know what a circus this is going to be. I've covered almost a dozen major storms over the years including Katrina/Rita in N.Orleans and trust me, it's best to just get out of there.

kevinb
08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah good luck with that Kev. Having lived in New York City I know what a circus this is going to be. I've covered almost a dozen major storms over the years including Katrina/Rita in N.Orleans and trust me, it's best to just get out of there.

Thanks, but it wasn't a big deal. Living in Florida, I bet you've had more than your fair share of hurricanes. I just had to evacuate to somewhere that flooding wouldn't leave me stranded, so I got to spend the weekend chilling with friends in another part of town. I could have done without the initial anxiety, though.