PDA

View Full Version : spraying down bike Ti pipes

modulo_s
08-17-2011, 12:34 PM
is it a bad idea right after a ride to spray down your bike if it has Ti pipes?

ckruzel
08-17-2011, 12:42 PM
don't think so they will probably just steam off any water if they are still hot

Akara1
08-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I have heard Titanium is more likely to crack if it's sprayed with cold water when it's hot.

Rspec99
08-17-2011, 05:22 PM
I definitely wouldn't do it. Rapid contraction from cold water quenching probably is not a good idea with the thin walled construction be it titanium or stainless steel.

modulo_s
08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
is warm to mildly hot water fine?

what would be some symptoms of cracked pipes if u can't see them?

datv
08-17-2011, 06:11 PM
they will warp and crack... then you will have popping, backfiring and a decrease in power. Just wait for it to cool down.

MarkGuzzi
08-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't be worried about just the pipes but the whole motor and everything else that’s a metal and hot especially dissimilar metals. The technical word for the effect is called quenching. Google it and see how you feel about hosing ya bike down then.

Rspec99
08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I would wait until the bike is stone cold or at least to the point that you can touch the pipes without scalding yourself. Even hot water won't help because relatively speaking the head pipes are much hotter.

You can inspect the pipes visually for signs of cracking, but audibly you will hear a sound that is similar to a clicking or tapping sound around the head pipes if it is a small leak.

bstar360
08-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Just let the whole bike cool down.
Ya dont want to be chucking cold water on hot brakes either.

robbo60
08-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Just let the whole bike cool down.
Ya dont want to be chucking cold water on hot brakes either.

Yes, thats why the manual says to get the bike under cover IMEDIATELY if it rains.....:rolleyes:

fastmike
08-19-2011, 10:53 PM
So, are you guys trying to tell me I can't ride my bike in the rain as well. That is about as logical as what you are saying here. I agree that you shouldn't purposely do it with a hose. If I'm riding along on a hot day and get caught in the rain are you telling my my exhaust is going to warp and crack and that the motor is going to fall apart? I think you guys are too conservative!

I had Acura try and tell me that a few years back when my brakes on my TL needed replacing after 15,000 miles. They told me that driving in the rain caused them to heat and cool at different temperatures. I asked them if Acura really designed a car that wasn't supposed to be driven in the rain! Needless to say they warranted the brakes for me and didn't give me any more hassles.

modulo_s
08-19-2011, 11:00 PM
it was raining hard the day i rode my brand new bike home.

slaps forehead

ckruzel
08-19-2011, 11:02 PM
rotors are 48/50 on acura, first set of brakes are discressionary

robbo60
08-20-2011, 03:36 AM
I love riding in the rain and here in OZ when it begins to rain on a hot summers day the water can be icy cold and comes down so hard gutters and drains are overwhelmed in a few minutes.
I'm so sick of replacing cracked exhausts and brake rotors....:lol:

So, are you guys trying to tell me I can't ride my bike in the rain as well. That is about as logical as what you are saying here. I agree that you shouldn't purposely do it with a hose. If I'm riding along on a hot day and get caught in the rain are you telling my my exhaust is going to warp and crack and that the motor is going to fall apart? I think you guys are too conservative!

I had Acura try and tell me that a few years back when my brakes on my TL needed replacing after 15,000 miles. They told me that driving in the rain caused them to heat and cool at different temperatures. I asked them if Acura really designed a car that wasn't supposed to be driven in the rain! Needless to say they warranted the brakes for me and didn't give me any more hassles.

Eppy
08-20-2011, 07:17 AM
I love riding in the rain and here in OZ when it begins to rain on a hot summers day the water can be icy cold and comes down so hard gutters and drains are overwhelmed in a few minutes.
I'm so sick of replacing cracked exhausts and brake rotors....:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
Well done Sir.

rfe
08-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm at a loss as to why you would want to????

68W
08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
my pipes would be cooled by the time I got the hose out......do you have a quick access fire hose in your garage ready when you come in from a ride??