PDA

View Full Version : What kind of rides do you take your RSV on?

kevinb
08-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't think I've seen a single other RSV out on the roads, so I'm beginning to wonder how much they get ridden. I figure they can't be much more rare than Tuonos, but I see those fairly often. We know it's not designed for commuting, but maybe it works that way for some. About the only kind of road riding I'd rule it out of is overnight two-up touring.
So, poll time. Although I'm sure most people take their RSV on different kinds of rides from time to time, but what kind of riding do you usually do with it?
Thinking about the poll now, I think I should have made the cut-off point for "touring" at 4 hours on the road. Also, while the distinction between "occasional" and "frequent" was intentionally open to individual interpretation, but my interpretation would be: for local rides, at least once a week; for ride-outs, at least twice a month; and for touring, at least once a month.

Another thing to consider: for those of you in areas with cool/cold winters: do you winterize your bike, or do you make a point of at least taking it out for a spin when the weather allows?

deboRSV
08-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Usually just tooling around the wonderful backroads of east Nebraska/west Iowa. I recently discovered the joys of track riding, so probalby won't ride on the street much anymore other than my yearly trip to New Mexico.

jbell
08-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I ride where ever and as often as can (so practically Everyday) From finding new and fun ways to work. To just exploring roads as i find them. I haven't yet experienced track days yet. But that will come soon enough. Just road a charity ride just out of DC yesterday. (about an hour away from me) The only other ape was a beautiful Futura.

bbqb4racin
08-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm always out every weekend on mine. Decent roads here in FL are hard to find so most rides are at least 200 mi plus. Yesterday we were north west of Sarasota FL near Bartow FL hitting some mine roads. Ran into a group from Melborne FL and chatted with them. Should have taken a pick cause there I was on my white RSVR and one of the guys from Melborne was on a white RSV4. The prillia's are out there but yes, they are few and far between!

worc_RSV
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I try to make it a point to ride once a week all day long. The ride will vary from 150-300 miles of all back road. (I do wish I had a better seat on the bike)

Mille Racer 69
08-14-2011, 11:41 AM
I put about 10,000 miles on it each year.
Lots of highway
About a gas tank worth of twisties on the weekend
And putting around town

Kawi Kilburn
08-14-2011, 07:56 PM
All track for mine!
:peace:

RZRob
08-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't ride often, but when I do, I ride Aprilia - and go the distance.

RZ Rob

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/rzrob/Yosemite/P3020031.jpg

rs5150
08-14-2011, 09:16 PM
i take mine out on the canyon to and from work twice a week.

KarlBalmer
08-15-2011, 07:25 AM
I consider my RSV to be a local riding bike, that said I consider local riding to be 100-300 mile loops, to me it isnt touring if I am back home that same day, for touring I take the K12GT.

I dont get to ride nearly often enough these days and owning three bikes, the few miles (around 6-8K per year) that I do get in means that none of them rack up miles very fast compared to when I worked for someone else (instead of running our ranch for a living) and road 25k+ miles a year including commuting

worc_RSV
08-15-2011, 08:13 AM
I agree on the touring. To me that is anything more than a days worth of ridding. But the Poll says more than 3 hours of riding. I don't think I have ever got on the bike for under 3 hours of riding, unless it was a commute to the store to get something.

yammaxx
08-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Mine gets pulled out to go ride the mtn's or go to the track.

hooligan2229
08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I didn't see an option for Tom-foolery, scaring small children and wreaking general havoc in the neighborhood

The Commissar
08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
I didn't see an option for Tom-foolery, scaring small children and wreaking general havoc in the neighborhood

What this guy said.

kevinb
08-15-2011, 08:36 PM

On an RSV, are there any OTHER kinds of local rides?

I agree on the touring. To me that is anything more than a days worth of ridding. But the Poll says more than 3 hours of riding. I don't think I have ever got on the bike for under 3 hours of riding, unless it was a commute to the store to get something.

Good point, which is why I first though of changing it to four, and now I'm thinking more like five. I was really thinking of where the cut-off would be for a ride-out more than what constitutes bona fide touring; and besides, if we were to use the median length of a tour to define the cut-off, we'd be talking days. When you think about it, four hours actually on the road usually translates to a pretty full day, and an overnight ride often doesn't entail more than that on one end or another. I've done about 500 miles on a ride-out with a group, but they usually average closer to 200 miles. I figure anything more than 5-600 miles in a day would be a lot of slab, which is just a different kind of touring.

My own response? I occasionally ride around town, and frequently find myself on the road for a full day or more. In the three months I've had it available to ride (for a year it was on consignment at dealer, but I took it back), I've put about 4800 miles on it, all of it on weekends.

kevinb
08-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Interesting. Results so far: Nearly a quarter of respondents indicated that their RSV is a track bike, and slightly more indicated that they use it for touring. Slightly more than 60% indicated that they take their RSV on ride-outs, which is not surprising for any bike, when you think about it. Right about 1/3 indicate they take their RSV on shorter, local rides.

Over 80% indicate they ride their RSV "occasionally" for something, but few, only about 37%, would say they ride their RSV "frequently" for any reason. This begins to explain why one doesn't see them often: most of the people who own them don't ride them often enough.

Now I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that RSV owners have other bikes to ride, and how much is due to their only being occasional riders to begin with.

KarlBalmer
08-18-2011, 07:23 AM
When you think about it, four hours actually on the road usually translates to a pretty full day, and an overnight ride often doesn't entail more than that on one end or another. I've done about 500 miles on a ride-out with a group, but they usually average closer to 200 miles. I figure anything more than 5-600 miles in a day would be a lot of slab, which is just a different kind of touring.

guess things are different back east :)--- 4 hours on the road out here for me means a nice morning or afternoon ride, a day of riding is usally more like 8-10 hours in the saddle, over night rides for me are usualy at least 500 miles each way most times more like 700+ :peace:

kevinb
08-19-2011, 06:33 AM
guess things are different back east :)--- 4 hours on the road out here for me means a nice morning or afternoon ride, a day of riding is usally more like 8-10 hours in the saddle, over night rides for me are usualy at least 500 miles each way most times more like 700+ :peace:
Yeah - there's plenty of different places to go and things to see within a four hour ride on the east coast - not like Texas where it takes as long just to get from one side of an oilfield to another. No, seriously, I'd agree - four hours out on your own generally means little more than half a day, but again, I wasn't suggesting that what one would call proper touring is anything more than that, just that four hours or more with kickstands up is where ride-outs start to involve significant out-of-the way wandering and more than one intermediate stop, and in a way become more like touring -some people start to think about bringing their own beverages or snacks, maybe raingear in case the weather changes in the afternoon. If you're just making a run to the local twisties spot that's 45 min - an hour out of town, most people ride luggage-free. Maybe that could have been the determining factor: long enough to compel you to take some form of luggage (even just a tank bag) - but then again I know guys who carry their rucksacks just to get a coffee.

georgiaAPErider
08-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I love riding my aprilia. But holy crap 4-8 hours on it. Are you talking seat time plus stops? or just seat time? Wow I'll be honest I can do about 2 hours and I need to get the F off lol my throttle hand is usually numb, and I'm only 24. And forget about riding it the next day my A$$ is usually sore. I envy you guys. I wish I could do long trips, thats reserved for the Vrod!

LeBigmac
08-21-2011, 02:55 AM
don't forget the "money/value" aspect. we have Italian bikes which are still quite exclusive compared to most jap bikes. So running cost, meaning parts and repairs if needed, tend to be more expensive. I also think we care more about the bike than if we would have lets say a 750/1000 gsxr or so.

I bet you will see a similar pic or even more extreme on the Duc side, more track bikes, and more occasional trips, probably more weekend good weather "show off" rides.

I tend to only do tours when the weather is more or less perfect, trying to avoid any rain to keep the bike in perfect condition. but still do tours of 3 or more hours, but its not a bike I would use for commute or fun trips , too precious for that...

Noale1
08-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Nice thing about our Italian Bike on a tour, is that most moto-rsts cant believe were so far from home! I am a big fan of taking exotic vehicles to obscure places. I enjoy waving hello to the opposite direction riders only to observe that they and their partners are doing double takes at us. That only makes me warm and fuzzy, even when I sweating in the desert.

Noale1
08-21-2011, 11:07 AM
BTW my ridin brothers, I do commute on my 04 RSVR. Ive logged over 74K miles on, since 05 and enjoyed numerous rides up Ca HY 1( Nor and So), 49, 193, 33, 36( E and W)...This road list is endless here in the Golden State!

TapMyHed
08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Anything and everything, track days, commute to work and tours all over the place.

Had the old girl for 7 years now...no need to change it either as it still skins gixxers, blades and r1s on the track!!!!! Some riders are all show and no go!

kevinb
08-29-2011, 08:40 PM
I love riding my aprilia. But holy crap 4-8 hours on it. Are you talking seat time plus stops? or just seat time? Wow I'll be honest I can do about 2 hours and I need to get the F off lol my throttle hand is usually numb, and I'm only 24. And forget about riding it the next day my A$$ is usually sore. I envy you guys. I wish I could do long trips, thats reserved for the Vrod!
But you can! If you're getting numb and sore at 2 hours' riding time, is it because you're trying to drive the bike rather than simply ride it? You know, it IS possible to relax on an RSV :)

Fox Fader
08-29-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm 45 and I can relax on mine... as long as I stay at speed.

The Commissar
08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I usually on my days off and I ride until the gas runs out. I try to find some back roads here in Florida, but most are about 2 hours away for maybe 5 or 6 turns, maybe 2 of them being REAL turns. The road quality varies as well.

I usually just go exploring on it if anything. Most my friends who ride are either busy, lazy, or reckless. There's a time and a place for speed, most people I know don't have that distinction.

I also like to piss off kids in the shiny new cars mommy and daddy bought them. A Lancer tried to race me light to light, not even an Evo. I thought he was going to blow his engine up.