PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me

jackspot
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Well ive been riding my new 2006 ..RSVR .for a week and must admit im a bit pissed ..braking..handling..power all fantastic ..its just that im finding it a pain to find neutral ..whether its while riding or when i come to a stop ..the shifter just seems solid ...never had this issue with any other new bike ive had ..is this just something else im finding out about the aprilia along with the gearing thing ..hope i can iron these out it would be a shame for niggly things to spoil a great bike .....any ideas or as the title suggests IS IT JUST ME ?

Rugbydawg13
07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
You can't find neutral with a map on these bikes. Bleed your clutch for starters. It's still tough but makes it do-able. I suggest you read this. All of it. It will answer a lot of questions for you before you have them.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182209

jackspot
07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks ..to be honest im not that clued up on some bike work ..never bled a clutch ..is it a easy job

Rugbydawg13
07-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Just follow the tutorial. It's easy enough to do. Follow the forced injection if you want to do it right.

SEAN
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
You have posted the same question in general talk....

The 'quick' bleed could be: applying pressure to the lever, not quite to the bar, keep it there, and release the screw at the master cylinder (by lever) with cloth below, only slightly, and as the pressure only just relieves at the lever, lock off the screw. Usually a few bubbles will come out straight away on a poor neutral bike.

Or bleed it properly, which is always best, but this symptom will often re occur anyway, so the first method becomes possible almost as a pre ride check when you eventually get used to stuff.

jackspot
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
ye i know sean ..being new to site not sure were to post stuff ..ill get the hang of it im sure just like the bike :lol:
thanks

mini_me
07-28-2011, 03:31 PM
A properly setup RSV shouldnt have any problems with neutral/shifting.

Many times a proper bleed will do the job.

bbqb4racin
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Eh....neutral? It's somewhere in there! :lol:

Seems the nature of the beast although mine seems better now that I've logged some miles and serviced it. Still, neutral is not an easy find compared to other bikes.

Mille Racer 69
07-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Here is all you need to know...
rule #1 - while bleeding anything on the bike, NEVER let the reservoir go empty
rule #2 - attach a 1/4 inch hose to the bleed nipple, then dump the other end of
said hose intio a milk carton (feed it through the inside of the handle so the hose wont slip out
rule #3 - DO NO pump the clutch in between opening the nipple cuz you turn several large air cavities into a million small air bubbles and a few large ones are a helluva lot easier to get out.
For clutch fluid I use DOT 4 brake fluid.
make sure you do not mix different numbers

step 1 - squeeze in clutch
step 2 - open bleed nipple
step 3 - snug the bleed nipple closed
step 4 - release the clutch
and repeat

You also have a slave cylinder on the kickstand side of the bike.
Bleed that one too

when you no longer see any air bubbles coming out of the hose, you are complete.

jackspot
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Did the little bleed what sean said with lever and cracking the nipple ..cant believe it.. went out on it neutral everytime ..a few air bubbles were causing that .just shows you .ill do the reverse bleed when i get myself some surgical instruments and pipe :lol:

thanks to all who replied
chris

mini_me
07-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Eh....neutral? It's somewhere in there! :lol:

Seems the nature of the beast.

Not the nature of the beast m8. You are welcome to fly over and ride my bike. You'll notice neutral is easy to find.

bbqb4racin
07-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Not the nature of the beast m8. You are welcome to fly over and ride my bike. You'll notice neutral is easy to find.

I'm still new to Aprilia but certainly not new to bikes. I've gotten somewhat used to finding my neutral but it's not what I would consider normal nor do I like it. But, from following this forum for only a few months, I see many posts/threads about how hard it can be to find neutral on these bikes. Seems the nature of the beast from what I'm reading. Currently, it's the only real issue I have with my bike.

BTW, Aprilia has a nice trans but shitty neutral!

Fox Fader
07-30-2011, 07:18 AM
It's a bit easier to find N on my Futura, but it has a lot of miles on it. My RSV only has 100, though a bit tighter on finding N, it's of no concern to me.

I will add this. If it's easy to find neutral, it's gonna be easy to find it running through gears?

Diablo1
07-30-2011, 07:20 AM
There are only a few things that effect the ability to find neutral:

1. Make sure your bike has the #40 oil jet for the clutch, older models used a larger number jet that caused clutch drag.
2. Bleed the clutch to maximize travel to minimize clutch drag.
3. Use an oil that minimizes clutch drag - Mobil1 15W-50 works for me.
4. Let the engine warm up. Thins the oil and minimizes clutch drag.
5. Some aftermarket clutch slaves have less travel and this can make it harder to find neutral. My bike has an EVO slave, but I still have no trouble finding neutral even going in from 1st gear. It's easiest to find neutral from 2nd gear while rolling to a stop.

jackspot
07-30-2011, 10:07 AM
like i said above ive bled the clutch and neutral is easy peasy now so obviously thats what the trouble was ..the guy never rode it much and it was mostly in his garage ..can they generate air in fliud when not ridden much ..surely this guy wasnt living with it how it was :rolleyes:

SEAN
07-30-2011, 10:55 AM
The fluid absorbs moisture and also goes off, and many bikers with low mileage neglect the need to change it, and often think engine oil is enough, but not suggesting it's the case on yours.

They probably do need more attention than other bikes, but they're still better (my own biased opinion, even though down to just one now).

The Apes clutch fluid discolours very quickly too, so needs checking more than some others.

Glad you sorted it the quick way, now you can enjoy it a bit 'til you get the right stuff to do it fully.

:peace: