PDA

View Full Version : bike arrived with damage

modulo_s
07-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Picked up my bike today from the dock. It was purchased from a dealership, crated by a 3rd party, and then steam boated up to me. After we got the bike out of the crate we noticed numerous scratches and scuffs around the lower and upper fairing. I'm wondering if it's something that can be fixed easily so that I don't have to go through the hassle of claiming it. The scuffs on the upper fairing are noticeable and cover a large area above the headlight.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167365&stc=1&d=1311660741

Pete Gala
07-26-2011, 03:42 AM
Dude brand new bike. Get em to fix it!!! I would. This bike deserve to be in pristine condition.

I would get em to fix it if I were u.

Chris_Mag
07-26-2011, 05:22 AM
Probably easy to fix with enough effort (and professional cutting/buffing supplies), but I would claim it.

512BB
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Claim it.

modulo_s
07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
gave the bike a good wash and waxed twice. not much improvement to the area pictured. how should I start claiming this since there was a 3rd party? thanks!

*has anyone had a problem with water entering the corner of their parking lights? i noticed this washing the bike.

*are the aprc rubber handle grips supposed to be asymmetrical?

748rdave
07-26-2011, 12:32 PM
If the 3rd party was contracted to wrap the bike by the seller there should be no problem with a claim.

512BB
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I would assume that the claim would go against the transporter. It's also not normal for water to enter the lights. It sounds to me like the tied the bike down incorrectly. Sorry to hear about your issues.

fastmike
07-26-2011, 05:02 PM
That's a really shitty picture, I can't tell what is damage/scratches. Is it through the paint where you can see the primer? If not it can be buffed out so don't worry about it. It just takes someone with a buffer, or some rubbing compound and elbow grease. It's better with a buffer though to return it to the high gloss.

SlamDunK
07-26-2011, 05:55 PM
If that was mine I'd be tearing someone a new one.
Give the people who caused it the hassle and expense of the repair.

MishMashRSV4
07-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Who suggested supplied contacted arranged the 3rd party? By choice of you? Or Dealer?

If by Dealer, its dealer's responsibility
If by you, then its the transporter's responsibility. Carrying insurance is a must-do on transported items of this value

modulo_s
07-26-2011, 07:35 PM
sorry about the picture quality. i wanted to post others but i'm uploading a video that shows the front damage better.

i had the receptionist note the damage but here is how the transaction went

dealer sold bike ---> picked up by KGM Cycle(a delivery/crating company), secured in a harley davidson crate, then dropped off at Lynden port ---> Lynden loads the crate onto their steamboat then docks in anchorage.

the dealer referred me to these parties for a previous purchase of the same bike. that went very well. but that didn't involve recrating the bike because it was never removed from the original aprilia crate. this time around i had a full exhaust system installed so the dealer had to open the original crate..

here is a video that shows the same area. what could cause this??

‪IMG 1165‬‏ - YouTube

modulo_s
07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
i'm almost sure there should be insurance included in my transaction

fastmike
07-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Looks like that should buff out rather easily. I'd try that before I got overly concerned. With the video it's easier to see.

I buffed some scratches out of my buddies truck that I really thought were very deep. Took about 20-30 minutes of work and some compound and swirl remover to get the hood looking like new again. Those will come out.

Falcofreak
07-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't care about the scratches. It's much worse they delivered the wrong colour.:lol:

Sorry I couldn't ressist. I really feel with you and hope you get it sorted.

potere
07-28-2011, 10:52 AM
If you don't want the hassle, take it to a good body shop and ask if it can be buffed out.

I took my bike to a paint shop to ask about repainting the lowers. After we talked about that, I asked about a black smudge on the white tank and how much to fix it too. I had tipped the bike and caught it but the tank rubbed on a tire. He happened to have a rag and a bottle in his hand at the time. He put a bit of the liquid on the smudge and it disappeared and he said "$50" then laughed. I bet it had toluene in it cause nothing I used would remove it. Anyhow, point is the experts know.

The nose fairing is probably around $600-800, headlights another $300 per. I'd call the dealer and ask "can you email the form please" and let them handle it all. They made money off this sale and it will cost them NOTHING to fix it since it was the shipper.

modulo_s
08-17-2011, 12:58 AM
update

falcofreak - haha u must have the glam white

potere - was referred to a custom shop and he says they can def polish it out to the tune of $125. best of all the dealer is taking responsibility even though they were certain it was a brand new bike when it left the showroom. thumbs up to those guys!

I've seen it done where they pour a dime and rag it out. thnx but no thnx knowing my luck I'd probably rub a hole through.

Fox Fader
08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
That's good you are getting some help.

UPS had to pay handsomely to fix mine.

duc73
08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I paint for aliving thats should buff out with easy, looks like something rubbing on it like towels or some kind of cover at factory 4 paint safty.